GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (1 invisible), 316 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,490
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 23,918
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,512
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,332
Posts1,058,802
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Was Tom Really Loyal? #520113
11/12/08 04:40 PM
11/12/08 04:40 PM
With Geary in Fredo's Brothel
dontomasso Offline OP
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline OP
Consigliere to the Stars

I have written about this in another section, and alluded to it in a post made earlier today, but now I raise the possibility that maybe Tom was not as loyal to Michael as one might think.

First of all there is no question that Tom, Sonny, and Vito were a tightly knit team. Tom enjoyed the affection of Vito and Sonny, but not so much Michael. After Vito's shooting, and Michael's departure to Sicily, we see cracks in the relationship with Sonny, but their arguements are brotherly, and there is no hint that Tom wants the Corleones to prevail in the war. After Sonny's death and Vito's surrender, Michael re-emeges, and basically the first thing he does is dismiss Tom because he is not a wartime consigliere, and from there on out seems to go out of his way to embarass him whenever he can.

Once Vito dies, Tom is further moved out of Michael's inner circle, and is only brought back in after the attempt on Michael's life in Tahoe. While Tom is temporarily back in charge of things, he manages to keep the family business profitable, ad he manages to compromise Senator Geary. His reward? Further humiliation by Michael.

Still, maybe it is Tom who is playing Michael and not the other way around. Maybe Tom wanted Michael out of the way.
Certainly he knew how to legitimize the family business, and he could have persuaded Connie and Fredo to go along with him.
Rocco and Neri would be more problematic, but if it is true that Rocco was on the outs with Michael, Tom could have persuaded him to align with him and get rid of Neri.

Maybe Tom was not outsmarted by Roth as he leads eeryone to believe, and maybe the Senate hearings were the ultimate set up. Its a good explanation for his withholding the truth from Michael about Roth's possible rescue of Fredo in Cuba, and more importantly "forgetting" to check New York sources about Pentangeli being alive, thus setting Michael up for a perjury rap. The plan to bring Pentangeli's brother into the mix was Michael's idea, and Tom had to go along to keep his cover, and ultimately his plan to undo Michael, under this scenario, fell apart. Still and all if he was really messing around with Sonny's widow, and fielding job offers from hotel chains, maybe he was looking at a post Michael time where he could gain leadership in the legitimized Corleone family.

After all at the beinning of GF III we leard that Tom had died. Of what? A fishing accident?

Now about those drapes......

"Io sono stanco, sono imbigliato, and I wan't everyone here to know, there ain't gonna be no trouble from me..Don Corleone..Cicc' a port!"

"I stood in the courtroom like a fool."

"I am Constanza: Lord of the idiots."

Re: Was Tom Really Loyal? [Re: dontomasso] #520117
11/12/08 05:42 PM
11/12/08 05:42 PM
R
rearwheelslider Offline
Wiseguy
rearwheelslider  Offline
R
Wiseguy
i LOVE TOM HAGAN. He was fabulous in Days of Thunder.

Re: Was Tom Really Loyal? [Re: rearwheelslider] #520121
11/12/08 05:52 PM
11/12/08 05:52 PM
Palm Bay, Florida
Santino Brasi Offline
The Don's Official Sooth Sayer
Santino Brasi  Offline
The Don's Official Sooth Sayer
Underboss
Palm Bay, Florida
What does that have to do with what DT said?

He - (Simón Bolívar) - was shaken by the overwhelming revelation that the headlong race between his misfortunes and his dreams was at that moment reaching the finishing line. The rest was darkness. "Damn it," He sighed. "How will I ever get out of this labyrinth!"

So what’s the labyrinth?

That’s the mystery isn’t it? Is the labyrinth living or dying? Which is he trying to escape - the world, or, the end of it?
Re: Was Tom Really Loyal? [Re: dontomasso] #520126
11/12/08 06:29 PM
11/12/08 06:29 PM
New York
SC Offline
Consigliere
SC  Offline
Consigliere

New York
Originally Posted By: dontomasso
After all at the beinning of GF III we leard that Tom had died. Of what? A fishing accident?

No he was squeezed to death by Francis Ford Coppola's cheapness. He would have appeared in Part III if FFC only agreed to pay what Duvall was asking, but FFC was watching his pennies so he could play with his wine.

Tom Hagen was loyal to Mike. Take that to the bank!

Re: Was Tom Really Loyal? [Re: dontomasso] #520130
11/12/08 07:08 PM
11/12/08 07:08 PM
MI
Lilo Offline
Lilo  Offline

MI
I see Tom as loyal to the bitter end. Even if he was hurt, bitter or angry at Michael (as brothers occasionally are sometimes) he never would have done anything against Michael or Michael's family. Although Tom's view of Michael as a brother is not always reciprocated, Tom certainly was viewed as a brother by Sonny and Fredo and perhaps as a son by Vito and Mama Corleone.

So Tom would be loyal to Vito's memory if nothing else.

"When the snows fall and the white winds blow, the lone wolf dies but the pack survives."
Winter is Coming

Now this is the Law of the Jungle—as old and as true as the sky; And the wolf that shall keep it may prosper, but the wolf that shall break it must die.
As the creeper that girdles the tree-trunk, the Law runneth forward and back; For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack.
Re: Was Tom Really Loyal? [Re: Lilo] #520132
11/12/08 07:10 PM
11/12/08 07:10 PM
New York
Sicilian Babe Offline
Sicilian Babe  Offline

New York
Loyal, loyal, loyal. Tom was orphaned and homeless when Sonny brought him home. The Corleones gave him a home, sent him to college and law school, gave him an excellent living, but most of all gave him a family to belong to.

He would never betray that. Never.

President Emeritus of the Neal Pulcawer Fan Club
Re: Was Tom Really Loyal? [Re: Sicilian Babe] #520133
11/12/08 07:13 PM
11/12/08 07:13 PM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
Ditto.

"I got news for you. If it wasn't for the toilet, there would be no books." --- George Costanza.
Re: Was Tom Really Loyal? [Re: pizzaboy] #520146
11/12/08 09:49 PM
11/12/08 09:49 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
Never a doubt as to Tom's loyalty. In addition to loyalty being ingrained in his character, he also (as we saw) needed the family and desperately wanted to be a brother--even more so than consigliere. I think Michael was telling the truth when he told Tom (after the Tahoe shooting), "Right now you're the only one I can completely trust."

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.
Re: Was Tom Really Loyal? [Re: pizzaboy] #520164
11/12/08 11:34 PM
11/12/08 11:34 PM
New York
Sicilian Babe Offline
Sicilian Babe  Offline

New York
Originally Posted By: pizzaboy
Ditto.

Who are you? Sam Wheat?? lol

President Emeritus of the Neal Pulcawer Fan Club
Re: Was Tom Really Loyal? [Re: Sicilian Babe] #520179
11/13/08 09:16 AM
11/13/08 09:16 AM
OH, VA, KY
Mignon Offline
Mama Mig
Mignon  Offline
Mama Mig

OH, VA, KY
Poor Sam Wheat, he was stuck in between two worlds.

Dylan Matthew Moran born 10/30/12

Re: Was Tom Really Loyal? [Re: SC] #520194
11/13/08 12:00 PM
11/13/08 12:00 PM
dontomasso Offline OP
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline OP
Consigliere to the Stars

Originally Posted By: SC

No he was squeezed to death by Francis Ford Coppola's cheapness. He would have appeared in Part III if FFC only agreed to pay what Duvall was asking, but FFC was watching his pennies so he could play with his wine.

And here I thought he may have died from smelling to much napalm in the morning.

"Io sono stanco, sono imbigliato, and I wan't everyone here to know, there ain't gonna be no trouble from me..Don Corleone..Cicc' a port!"

Re: Was Tom Really Loyal? [Re: dontomasso] #520208
11/13/08 12:39 PM
11/13/08 12:39 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ

And here I thought he may have died from smelling to much napalm in the morning.

lol
Actually, he died in a surfing accident...

Re: Was Tom Really Loyal? [Re: Turnbull] #520219
11/13/08 01:23 PM
11/13/08 01:23 PM
dontomasso Offline OP
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline OP
Consigliere to the Stars

Originally Posted By: Turnbull
[quote=dontomasso]After all at the beinning of GF III we leard that Tom had died. Of what? A fishing accident?

lol
Actually, he died in a surfing accident... [/quote]

Consigliere don't surf.

Re: Was Tom Really Loyal? [Re: dontomasso] #520224
11/13/08 01:53 PM
11/13/08 01:53 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
What do you know about surfing, Major? You're from goddamn Virginia.

Re: Was Tom Really Loyal? [Re: Turnbull] #520240
11/13/08 04:26 PM
11/13/08 04:26 PM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club

Actually, he died in a surfing accident...

That's no joke. According to Mark Winegardner, Tom went surfing in a car and drowned! whistle rolleyes

Don T, are you implying that it was actually Tom who opened the drapes? eek wink

While I like your post and the possibilities you provide as to why Tom may not have been as loyal as we originally thought he was, to Michael, (and you do provide some legitimate food for thought) when push comes to shove I really have to agree with the others. Tom was loyal to the very end.

I think that even if Tom was not happy with the way Michael was handling things or the way that Michael treated him, he could never bring himself to betray Michael. In a man like Tom hagen's mind, to betray Michael would have been disloyalty to the memory of Vito. It would have been like he was actually betraying Vito.

Don Cardi cool

Five - ten years from now, they're gonna wish there was American Cosa Nostra. Five - ten years from now, they're gonna miss John Gotti.

Re: Was Tom Really Loyal? [Re: Don Cardi] #520242
11/13/08 04:40 PM
11/13/08 04:40 PM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
I don't know, DC. I think Don Tomasso is just partial to Irish lawyers. whistle

"I got news for you. If it wasn't for the toilet, there would be no books." --- George Costanza.
Re: Was Tom Really Loyal? [Re: Don Cardi] #520251
11/13/08 04:59 PM
11/13/08 04:59 PM
dontomasso Offline OP
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline OP
Consigliere to the Stars

Originally Posted By: Don Cardi

I think that even if Tom was not happy with the way Michael was handling things or the way that Michael treated him, he could never bring himself to betray Michael. In a man like Tom hagen's mind, to betray Michael would have been disloyalty to the memory of Vito. It would have been like he was actually betraying Vito.

I'm just trying to be a bit provocative with this thread, and I recognize it is a long shot, but if we think of Tom as more than a two dimensional figure, there is the possiblity that he was out to undermine Michael ---- maybe even subconsciously.
After all if those stories about all the comedy he was playing with Sonny's WIDOW are true, that would be a betrayal to Vito wouldn't it?

Re: Was Tom Really Loyal? [Re: dontomasso] #520256
11/13/08 05:08 PM
11/13/08 05:08 PM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club
Don T, don't get me wrong. When I first read your post I initially began to really think about and ponder what you had written. You absolutely provoked thought. You provide some really legitimate reasoning.

But after really thinking about it, I just cannot see Tom Hagen betraying the memory of Vito by betraying the son that Vito was most fond of. Tom seemed really moved when he and Michael are conversing, especially when he tells Michael that he always wanted to be thought of as a brother by him.

Don Cardi cool

Five - ten years from now, they're gonna wish there was American Cosa Nostra. Five - ten years from now, they're gonna miss John Gotti.

Re: Was Tom Really Loyal? [Re: Don Cardi] #520258
11/13/08 05:28 PM
11/13/08 05:28 PM
dontomasso Offline OP
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline OP
Consigliere to the Stars

Well, with DC and TB PB and the rest all piling on here, I'm going to keep this thread going and come up with more on this theory. wink Wsant there a deleted scene or something in a draft about Tom complaining to Sandra about how Michael treated him?

Re: Was Tom Really Loyal? [Re: dontomasso] #520260
11/13/08 06:28 PM
11/13/08 06:28 PM
New York
SC Offline
Consigliere
SC  Offline
Consigliere

New York
If I'm not mistaken, Tom had an affair with Sandra (Sonny's widow) in an early version of the script.

I've said it more than once; Part II is one of the best movies I've ever seen, but it was rushed when it was produced (especially in writing the storyline - too many inconsistencies). Early versions of the script shouldn't be used as a source of info from which to argue a point.

Re: Was Tom Really Loyal? [Re: SC] #520261
11/13/08 06:44 PM
11/13/08 06:44 PM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
Early versions of the script shouldn't be used as a source of info from which to argue a point.

That's a great point, and I'm often guilty of this. We can't look at early drafts of Parts II or III and draw any conclusions from them. The only thing these early scripts are good for are "what could have been," not what actually happened.

Re: Was Tom Really Loyal? [Re: dontomasso] #520272
11/13/08 08:12 PM
11/13/08 08:12 PM
MI
Lilo Offline
Lilo  Offline

MI
Well it's from the book and not the movie but when Vito was promoted to consigliere, (paraphrasing here) Tom was amused to learn that the other Families were slightly contemptuous of this move and had started calling the Corleone Family "The Irish Gang". It let Tom know that he'd never be fully accepted in the Sicilian organization and could never hope to succeed the Don.

But what's important here per the book is that Tom never had any desire to succeed the Don and viewed such an ambition as disrespectful to his "father" Vito and Vito's sons.

So even though Michael abused Tom's loyalty and treated him disrespectfully I don't think Tom ever could have had taken any action against him. At most he might have left, but as we know his loyalty (love?) wouldn't let him do that either.

"When the snows fall and the white winds blow, the lone wolf dies but the pack survives."
Winter is Coming

Now this is the Law of the Jungle—as old and as true as the sky; And the wolf that shall keep it may prosper, but the wolf that shall break it must die.
As the creeper that girdles the tree-trunk, the Law runneth forward and back; For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack.
Re: Was Tom Really Loyal? [Re: Lilo] #520317
11/14/08 07:11 AM
11/14/08 07:11 AM
Berlin, Germany
Danito Offline
Underboss
Danito  Offline
Underboss
Berlin, Germany
Well, how far goes loyalty in general? I mean, if there has ever been a loyal person in history or fiction, it was Tom Hagen. But there's always a limit. And I think his loyalty was tested more often than that of Jesus. wink
Many times Michael has betrayed the memory of his father. So if Tom happened to distance himself from Michael it could be one way of keeping his loyalty to Vito.

Re: Was Tom Really Loyal? [Re: Danito] #520319
11/14/08 10:08 AM
11/14/08 10:08 AM
MI
Lilo Offline
Lilo  Offline

MI
Originally Posted By: Danito
Well, how far goes loyalty in general? I mean, if there has ever been a loyal person in history or fiction, it was Tom Hagen. But there's always a limit. And I think his loyalty was tested more often than that of Jesus. wink
Many times Michael has betrayed the memory of his father. So if Tom happened to distance himself from Michael it could be one way of keeping his loyalty to Vito.

Good points. Michael's exclusion of Tom from Family business, his emotional manipulation and humiliation of Tom, forcing Tom to carry out the "hit" on Frankie, the fact that Michael had either Rocco or Neri spying on Tom's personal life, and just his overall coldness and disdain for someone who was not only an older "brother" but a pretty important power broker all had to grate on Tom tremendously.

I could see Tom starting to give less of himself to Michael. Tom could just give the facts and the absolute minimum asked of him, offering no advice or analysis (since it would be ignored anyway), and showing up less and less at family get togethers-brothers do that all the time in real life.

Maybe ultimately he would have left but I don't see it. ohwell

Winter is Coming

Re: Was Tom Really Loyal? [Re: Lilo] #520358
11/14/08 02:35 PM
11/14/08 02:35 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
Originally Posted By: Lilo

...which raises a question: What if, after Michael scornfully told Tom he could take his family and his mistress and move to Vegas, Tom said, "Yeah, right, Mike, I think I'll do that." Would Michael have let him? I don't think so. Tom knew far too much. And, if he left Michael's employ, the lawyer-client privilege he had with his boss would disappear. Tom would be an easy target for law enforcement, and Michael's mistreatment of him would reduce his resistance. Michael would know that, too. So, if Tom said he'd leave, he'd be a dead man.

Re: Was Tom Really Loyal? [Re: Turnbull] #520360
11/14/08 02:45 PM
11/14/08 02:45 PM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
So, if Tom said he'd leave, he'd be a dead man.

Good point, TB. Let's not forget, this is 1959; years before the idea of any kind of "Witness Protection."

Frankie was a protected witness in the same vein as Valachi was in the '60s. Valachi in a segregated place in prison, Frankie on an army base. But if a guy like Tom ever did turn, where would he have gone?

Re: Was Tom Really Loyal? [Re: Turnbull] #520616
11/16/08 02:17 AM
11/16/08 02:17 AM
No. Virginia
mustachepete Offline
Special
mustachepete  Offline
Special
Underboss
No. Virginia

...which raises a question: What if, after Michael scornfully told Tom he could take his family and his mistress and move to Vegas, Tom said, "Yeah, right, Mike, I think I'll do that." Would Michael have let him? I don't think so. Tom knew far too much. And, if he left Michael's employ, the lawyer-client privilege he had with his boss would disappear. Tom would be an easy target for law enforcement, and Michael's mistreatment of him would reduce his resistance. Michael would know that, too. So, if Tom said he'd leave, he'd be a dead man.

I think that Michael would have let Tom leave. I think the exchange, supposedly about Roth, was actually about Fredo, and that Michael was trapping Tom into supporting the murder of their brother (You gonna come along with me in these things I have to do -- or what?). In his warped way, Michael was always fair, so having given Tom the choice I think he would have let him go.

"All of these men were good listeners; patient men."
Re: Was Tom Really Loyal? [Re: Turnbull] #520869
11/17/08 04:34 PM
11/17/08 04:34 PM
dontomasso Offline OP
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline OP
Consigliere to the Stars

Originally Posted By: Lilo

If Tom had said that Michael would have said. That's interesting, Tom because the family just bought an interest in that hotel chain, and the offer's been withdrawn.
Al, Rocco, you have the boat ready?

Re: Was Tom Really Loyal? [Re: Turnbull] #536934
04/09/09 07:57 AM
04/09/09 07:57 AM
The Army Barracks
The_Don_Is_Dead Offline
A Rabid Anti-Dentite
The_Don_Is_Dead  Offline
A Rabid Anti-Dentite
Made Member
The Army Barracks
What do you know about surfing, Major? You're from goddamn Virginia.

LOL

The more i see, the less i know - John Lennon
Re: Was Tom Really Loyal? [Re: mustachepete] #536981
04/09/09 02:34 PM
04/09/09 02:34 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
Originally Posted By: mustachepete
I think the exchange, supposedly about Roth, was actually about Fredo, and that Michael was trapping Tom into supporting the murder of their brother (You gonna come along with me in these things I have to do -- or what?).

That's an interesting point, MP.
I believe that Michael didn't tell Tom he was going to whack Fredo, but you can infer that "Are you gonna come along with me in these things I have to do" definitely included Fredo's death, whether or not Tom knew about it.
Michael probably thought that the fewer people who knew about the plan, the better. And he also must have assumed that Tom would have figured it out himself.

But I also think Michael might have had two other motivations for not telling Tom:
--Bad Michael: He couldn't be absolutely, positively sure that Tom wouldn't warn Fredo, out of brotherly concern;
--Good Michael: He wanted to spare Tom the agony of knowing that Fredo would be whacked.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull