GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 54 guests, and 7 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,618
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 24,105
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,518
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,381
Posts1,059,683
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Question about Kay (In GF III) #32012
08/26/05 08:21 PM
08/26/05 08:21 PM
Italy
Flora Corleone Offline OP
Button
Flora Corleone  Offline OP
Button
Italy
In GF I and II is obvious Kay badly wanted the Corleone family to become legitimate - and she often reminded Michael of his promise to do so.

So, why in GF III - when Michael seems to finally be on the way to achieve a respectability of some sort - she comes up and says those famous lines "I preferred when you were a common mafia hood" or "it's now that you are more respectable that I dread you more" etc...?

What did she actually want from that poor thing? grin

"...Brucia la luna in cielo, e io brucio d'amore..."
Re: Question about Kay (In GF III) #32013
08/26/05 09:03 PM
08/26/05 09:03 PM
New York
Sicilian Babe Offline
Sicilian Babe  Offline

New York
I believe that she felt that because Michael was buying his newfound respectability with charitable donations, that he was no more legitimate than when they were first married. It was just a disguise. And that with his cloak of legitimacy, he was more dangerous than ever.

President Emeritus of the Neal Pulcawer Fan Club
Re: Question about Kay (In GF III) #32014
08/27/05 11:04 AM
08/27/05 11:04 AM
With Geary in Fredo's Brothel
dontomasso Offline
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline
Consigliere to the Stars

I believe that there was little attention paid to continuity when they wrote GFIII.

"Io sono stanco, sono imbigliato, and I wan't everyone here to know, there ain't gonna be no trouble from me..Don Corleone..Cicc' a port!"

"I stood in the courtroom like a fool."

"I am Constanza: Lord of the idiots."

Re: Question about Kay (In GF III) #32015
08/27/05 12:40 PM
08/27/05 12:40 PM
Italy
Button
Button
Italy
Originally posted by Sicilian Babe:
I believe that she felt that because Michael was buying his newfound respectability with charitable donations, that he was no more legitimate than when they were first married. It was just a disguise. And that with his cloak of legitimacy, he was more dangerous than ever.
Thank you Sicilian Babe, that really makes sense; yet, I didn't have the impression Michael was "buying" his respectability - in GF III he really seemed to believe in the charity association and in the whole Immobiliare deal as a mean to finally give legitimacy to his business, so I found Kay's remarks kind of cruel.... frown

Re: Question about Kay (In GF III) #32016
08/27/05 12:41 PM
08/27/05 12:41 PM
Italy
Button
Button
Italy
Originally posted by dontomasso:
I believe that there was little attention paid to continuity when they wrote GFIII.
LOL! You are not a GF III fan, aren't you? grin

Re: Question about Kay (In GF III) #32017
08/27/05 12:53 PM
08/27/05 12:53 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
Except for that one line in GFII, I don't recall Kay harping on Michael's achieving legitimacy.

In GFIII, the years have started to heal old wounds. But Michael refuses to may the necessary break with his past to compete the healing. If you remember in GFI it is Neri who shuts the door on Kay. In GFII it's Michael who shuts the door on Kay. In GFIII it is Kay that walks out of camera range as Calo tells Mike "Command me." To her it was all a false start.

"Generosity. That was my first mistake."
"Experience must be our only guide; reason may mislead us."
"Instagram is Twitter for people who can't read."
Re: Question about Kay (In GF III) #32018
08/27/05 01:08 PM
08/27/05 01:08 PM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club
Originally posted by olivant:
Except for that one line in GFII, I don't recall Kay harping on Michael's achieving legitimacy.
"It made me think of what you once told me - "in five years the Corleone Family will be completely legitimate." That was seven years ago." - Kay

"MICHAEL I'm not going back to Nevada. I brought the children to say good-bye to you. I want you to know that I'm very happy for you. I suppose that I always knew you were to smart to let any of them beat you." - Kay

"What really happened with PENTANGELI MICHAEL?" - Kay

"Look -- look what's happened to us, Mike -- my God, look what's happened to our son, MICHAEL." - Kay

"ANTHONY's not fine! You will hear about it!" - Kay

"Oh, oh MICHAEL. MICHAEL you are blind. It wasn't a miscarriage -- it was an abortion. An abortion MICHAEL. Just like our marriage is an abortion. Something that's unholy and evil. I didn't want your son MICHAEL -- I wouldn't bring another one of you sons into this world. It was an abortion MICHAEL. It was a son MICHAEL, a son and I had it killed -- .because this must all end." - Kay

She was a nagging Bitch! lol

I liked her character most in GFIII.

Don Cardi cool

Don Cardi cool

Five - ten years from now, they're gonna wish there was American Cosa Nostra. Five - ten years from now, they're gonna miss John Gotti.

Re: Question about Kay (In GF III) #32019
08/27/05 01:24 PM
08/27/05 01:24 PM
AZ
Turnbull Online content
Turnbull  Online Content

AZ
Michael and Kay were locked into self-deception. Michael constantly believed that he could be "legitimate," but continually rationalized his criminal behavior by believing himself to be no more crooked than supposedly legitimate types like politicians and judges. Kay, for her part, believed that she could "change" Michael's most fundamental behavior and values. She, too, rationalized Michael's failure to become "legit."
But, after the Tahoe shooting, Kay finally came to the conclusion that it was hopeless. Check out the look she gives Michael right after the shooting, when she'd clutching Anthony. She finally realized that she'd been misled--and had been misleading herself. That's why, in III, she gave Michael that sharp-edged speech about his hypocrisy in buying respectability from the Church, "common Mafia hood," etc.
My favorite distillation of their post-Tahoe relationship: Michael shouts at her, "I spent my life protecting my family from the horrors of this world." "But you became my horror," Kay replies. Right, Kay!

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.
Re: Question about Kay (In GF III) #32020
08/29/05 02:19 PM
08/29/05 02:19 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
Don Cardi, again it is only that one line which I characterize as harping. It's the only one that really uses the term legitimate.

Turnbull, I think you and I are the only ones who have commented on that look that Kay gives Michael after the attempt on his life. It is a look of absolute disgust which I think may sum up all of Kay's feelings.

"Generosity. That was my first mistake."
"Experience must be our only guide; reason may mislead us."
"Instagram is Twitter for people who can't read."
Re: Question about Kay (In GF III) #32021
08/29/05 03:37 PM
08/29/05 03:37 PM
dontomasso Offline
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline
Consigliere to the Stars

The Apple Answer

"Io sono stanco, sono imbigliato, and I wan't everyone here to know, there ain't gonna be no trouble from me..Don Corleone..Cicc' a port!"

Re: Question about Kay (In GF III) #32022
08/29/05 04:24 PM
08/29/05 04:24 PM
Toronto
Maple Leafs Offline
Button
Maple Leafs  Offline
Button
Toronto
"Look -- look what's happened to us, Mike -- my God, look what's happened to our son, MICHAEL." - Kay

"ANTHONY's not fine! You will hear about it!" - Kay

What did they mean when they were referring to Anthony being, or not being "fine". What will Michael be hearing about?

Geddy Lee, Alex Lifeson, Neil Peart...RUSH
Re: Question about Kay (In GF III) #32023
08/29/05 04:30 PM
08/29/05 04:30 PM
dontomasso Offline
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline
Consigliere to the Stars

Anthony, who we all knew grew up to be a somewhat light in the loafers opera star was "traumatized" by a few bullets being sprayed into Mike and Kay's bedroom.

Re: Question about Kay (In GF III) #32024
08/29/05 04:36 PM
08/29/05 04:36 PM
Toronto
Maple Leafs Offline
Button
Maple Leafs  Offline
Button
Toronto
Thanks DT, that's what I thought. I was wondering if there was any more meaning to it though.

Since I read all these posts on this site, I am always looking for deeper meanings, or something I missed. cool

Geddy Lee, Alex Lifeson, Neil Peart...RUSH
Re: Question about Kay (In GF III) #32025
08/29/05 10:28 PM
08/29/05 10:28 PM
New York
Sicilian Babe Offline
Sicilian Babe  Offline

New York
Originally posted by dontomasso:
Anthony, who we all knew grew up to be a somewhat light in the loafers opera star was "traumatized" by a few bullets being sprayed into Mike and Kay's bedroom.
Because he's an opera singer, Anthony's gay?? confused

Actually, I think that Kay is talking about the effect that their lifestyle is having on Anthony. He is growing up in isolation, surrounded by bodyguards, imprisoned on the Tahoe estate. If you remember, Kay isn't even allowed to take them shopping or to visit their grandparents. He talks about how he doesn't even know the people that gave him gifts at his First Communion party. The kid's life is anything but normal, and IMHO that is what Kay is referring to.

President Emeritus of the Neal Pulcawer Fan Club

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull