GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (1 invisible), 304 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,490
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 23,923
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,512
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,333
Posts1,058,811
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Gambinos in Florida? #514068
10/06/08 07:25 PM
10/06/08 07:25 PM
MI
Lilo Offline OP
Lilo  Offline OP

MI
http://www.palmbeachpost.com/localnews/content/local_news/epaper/2008/10/03/1003artuso.html

By SUSAN SPENCER-WENDEL

Palm Beach Post Staff Writer

Friday, October 03, 2008

WEST PALM BEACH — After six days of deliberations, a federal jury returned resounding guilty verdicts Friday in a sweeping racketeering conspiracy, mail and wire fraud and money laundering case against four men prosecutors argued were associated with organized crime.

Jurors convicted Vincent Artuso, his son John Vincent Artuso, and Gregory Orr on all the charges they faced. The panel convicted as well Philip E. Forgione on racketeering and fraud charges, but acquitted him of more than a dozen individual money laundering charges.

All the men face potential lengthy prison terms when sentenced by U.S. District Judge Donald Middlebrooks Dec. 15. Each charge alone carries a maximum possible penalty of 20 years in prison.

Assistant U.S. Attorneys William Shockley and J. Brian McCormick presented evidence the men conspired in the sale and leasing of four office buildings own by ADT Security Services to defraud the company of at least $11 million over five years, according to the U.S. Attorney's office. They depicted Vincent Artuso as the leader of the South Florida crew of the Gambino crime family who directed the enterprise. The other men were depicted as associates but non-members of the crime family.

A defense attorney for John Vincent Artuso said outside court that the guilty verdicts stunned all those on the defense team. Miami attorney Mike Pasano said he told jurors the notion that there is a branch of the Gambino family operating in South Florida is "ludicrous."

"I'll continue to say it's ludicrous - until or unless someone can show me some real evidence, I'll never agree it's anything but ludicrous."

Attorney David Markus, who defended Gregory Orr, said there are good issues that will definitely be appealed. "It's a shame that the jury obviously struggled. They were deliberating over a week," Markus said.

A coterie of ladies who accompanied the men in court over the course of the trial began crying as the verdicts were read, their sobbing getting louder at growing number of guilties.

"Oh my God! What's wrong with them?" one blurted out about the jurors.

The men remained stone faced, Artuso looking up at the ceiling, his son looking back toward his fiancee and mother.

A fifth defendant, Robert Gannon, was earlier acquitted by the judge of the charges against him.

Called by prosecutors at trial to give a glimpse of mob operations was Lewis Kasman, the self-proclaimed adopted son of John Gotti, now residing in Boca Raton.

According to a media release issued by the U.S. Attorney's Office after the verdict, Artuso supervised and directed members of an enterprise, including his son, Orr, Forgione and William Larry Horton, in the commission of various frauds against numerous victims throughout the United States and against ADT, a wholly owned subsidiary of Tyco International Ltd.

"When the snows fall and the white winds blow, the lone wolf dies but the pack survives."
Winter is Coming

Now this is the Law of the Jungle—as old and as true as the sky; And the wolf that shall keep it may prosper, but the wolf that shall break it must die.
As the creeper that girdles the tree-trunk, the Law runneth forward and back; For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack.
Re: Gambinos in Florida? [Re: Lilo] #514069
10/06/08 07:30 PM
10/06/08 07:30 PM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
I saw that, Lilo. Funny, I just mentioned Artuso's pastry shop in the food thread the other day. Same family.

"I got news for you. If it wasn't for the toilet, there would be no books." --- George Costanza.
Re: Gambinos in Florida? [Re: pizzaboy] #514070
10/06/08 07:33 PM
10/06/08 07:33 PM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
And by the way, this doesn't bode well for Junior. "Retired" or not, guilty or not, the Feds are trying him in Florida for a reason.

"I got news for you. If it wasn't for the toilet, there would be no books." --- George Costanza.
Re: Gambinos in Florida? [Re: pizzaboy] #514101
10/06/08 10:22 PM
10/06/08 10:22 PM
Toronto, Ontario
D
dontommasino Offline
Underboss
dontommasino  Offline
D
Underboss
Toronto, Ontario
Artuso was one of the shooters in the Castellano hit wasn't he?

Re: Gambinos in Florida? [Re: dontommasino] #514115
10/07/08 12:04 AM
10/07/08 12:04 AM
J
JSTony Offline
Button
JSTony  Offline
J
Button
All five New York Families have always had crews in Florida. Other Families have members there as well.

Re: Gambinos in Florida? [Re: pizzaboy] #514175
10/07/08 10:32 AM
10/07/08 10:32 AM
Lompac Offline
BANNED
Lompac  Offline
BANNED
Underboss
The law is obsessed with "Gotti". Junior has proved that he has retired, but the law still goes after him, so they can be seen to look good at smashing leaders and so forth.

In totality, the US government has failed spectaculatly at smashing the families of NY.

Re: Gambinos in Florida? [Re: Lompac] #514183
10/07/08 10:43 AM
10/07/08 10:43 AM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
Originally Posted By: Lompac

In totality, the US government has failed spectaculatly at smashing the families of NY.

Well, maybe they haven't "smashed" them into oblivion, because, let's face it, people are always going to gamble and need to borrow money. But the government has done a pretty good job of putting boss after boss away.

Research aside, I'll speak from experience. I grew up in the heavily Italian Belmont section of the Bronx and still live in the northeast Bronx when I'm not in Florida. I'll tell you this much: these guys are nowhere close to what they were. And I ain't no kid. I'm 49 years old, which is old enough to remember when they were a powerhouse.

Will the government ever completely eliminate them? No, but they'll never be what they were.

Re: Gambinos in Florida? [Re: pizzaboy] #514440
10/08/08 10:43 AM
10/08/08 10:43 AM
Wisconsin
Ludovico Offline
Button
Ludovico  Offline
Button
Wisconsin
Originally Posted By: pizzaboy

Well, maybe they haven't "smashed" them into oblivion, because, let's face it, people are always going to gamble and need to borrow money. But the government has done a pretty good job of putting boss after boss away.

Research aside, I'll speak from experience. I grew up in the heavily Italian Belmont section of the Bronx and still live in the northeast Bronx when I'm not in Florida. I'll tell you this much: these guys are nowhere close to what they were. And I ain't no kid. I'm 49 years old, which is old enough to remember when they were a powerhouse.

Will the government ever completely eliminate them? No, but they'll never be what they were.

Exactly.

Lompac you gotta remeber that law enforcment has brought them down to such a point that they're all basically regional in influence now. It's almost like they're nothing more than some more organized italian-american street gang now to be honest, don't get me wrong, the mob is still the mob but... eh, not as powerful as they used to be, I wouldn't be surprised if a gangbanger decides to hop up and do a driveby on a wiseguy soon.

I will be asking the questions! Because I don't know them!
Re: Gambinos in Florida? [Re: Ludovico] #515004
10/12/08 12:13 AM
10/12/08 12:13 AM
Philadelphia
BDuff Offline
Philadelphia's Consigliere
BDuff  Offline
Philadelphia's Consigliere
Underboss
Philadelphia
Originally Posted By: Ludovico
Originally Posted By: pizzaboy

Exactly.

Lompac you gotta remeber that law enforcment has brought them down to such a point that they're all basically regional in influence now. It's almost like they're nothing more than some more organized italian-american street gang now to be honest, don't get me wrong, the mob is still the mob but... eh, not as powerful as they used to be, I wouldn't be surprised if a gangbanger decides to hop up and do a driveby on a wiseguy soon.

Not true at all, Ludovico. The FBI considers La Cosa Nostra as the strongest criminal organization in the country. Sure in places like New Orleans, Pittsburgh, Scranton, Denver, and Dallas the mob is done. However in New York, New Jersey, Philadelphia, Boston, Chicago, Detroit, Buffalo, Montreal, Tampa/Florida, Las Vegas, California, and Kansas City the Mob still is considered very strong and have a lot on influence. Are they as strong as they were in 1980? No, but the Mob is still very powerful in the underworld. Some dumbass gangbanger wouldn't be that fucking stupid to clip a made guy, not gonna happen.

Last edited by BDuff; 10/12/08 12:14 AM.

"When my time comes, tell me, will I stand up?"
Paulie "Walnuts" Gaultiere - The Sopranos

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull