GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
2 registered members (2 invisible), 296 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,490
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 23,918
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,512
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,332
Posts1,058,802
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
NY/NJ mob war #513458
10/04/08 08:27 AM
10/04/08 08:27 AM
T
Tyler_Durden Offline OP
Made Member
Tyler_Durden  Offline OP
T
Made Member
Do you guys thing the mob war depicted in the last episodes of The Sopranos was accurately portrayed?Is this how a war between 2 families would go down in real life?And do you think that a real life family with 50-60 soldiers(like the DeCavalcantes) would stand a chance against a family with 200 soldiers(like the Gambinos or Genoveses?)

I know all-out mob wars are very rare and very,very distructive,but i think that any decent family(like the DeCavalcantes) can stand its ground against a NY powerhouse...i mean it could go either way really,i don't see wealth or rackets playing a big role in case of a war.

One thing that bothered me on the show was the fact that while Tony's entire family war hiding,only Phil was hiding on the other side,Butch and Albie were in the open.I don't think Tony had a sitdown in mind the whole time,so why didn't he go after the rest of NY's management,wouldn't that make sense?

Last edited by Tyler_Durden; 10/04/08 08:29 AM.
Re: NY/NJ mob war [Re: Tyler_Durden] #513469
10/04/08 10:29 AM
10/04/08 10:29 AM
Toronto, Ontario
D
dontommasino Offline
Underboss
dontommasino  Offline
D
Underboss
Toronto, Ontario
I cannot really comment on the realities of the war and whether or not it is accurately portrayed. But, I will say that anything can happen during one of these things! It only takes one soldier/associate to betray his family or someone within his family and we end up with a Masseria, Maranzano or Anastasia.

Phil wanted to kill Tony, Bobby and Sil certainly, but I don't think he had any other targets in mind. Once he got them out of the way he was going to do business with what was left, so it might not be called strictly a "all-out" war, but yeah it could go either way, especially if one or more of the other 5 families were to side with either Tony or Phil.

That's an interesting question about Butch and Albie. Butch never hid his animosity for Tony in the past, and Tony couldn't have known that Butch was unhappy with Phil.

Re: NY/NJ mob war [Re: Tyler_Durden] #513517
10/04/08 02:10 PM
10/04/08 02:10 PM
Philadelphia
BDuff Offline
Philadelphia's Consigliere
BDuff  Offline
Philadelphia's Consigliere
Underboss
Philadelphia
It wasn't really a "war", more about Phil being fed up with the DiMeo administration and wanting to decapiatate it and put people incharge who would listen to him. Most mob wars are inner family: The 90s Colombo war, Merlino/Stanfa war, Scarfo/Riccobene, etc.

Something like this almost took place in 2000. The Genovese wanted to start a bookmaking operation in South Philadelphia and conspired with the Philly North NJ Capo, Pete "The Crumb" Caprio to kill Joseph "Uncle Joe" Ligambi (Boss), Steven "Handsome Stevie" Mazzone (Underboss), and George "Freckles" Borgesi (Consigliere)...which the the Philadelphia family's administration.

"When my time comes, tell me, will I stand up?"
Paulie "Walnuts" Gaultiere - The Sopranos

Re: NY/NJ mob war [Re: BDuff] #513541
10/04/08 03:39 PM
10/04/08 03:39 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
I don't think there was any equivalency between the Sopranos and Phil's family. Why do you think Tony went so far out of his way to please Phil? Remember when Tony told Christopher "He's got 200 soldiers in his family." He knew that NY would make mincemeat out of the Sopranos. Once the war started, he knew that the only way to stop it was to give in or kill Phil. That's why he asked at the sitdown for a 20 on Phil.

Last edited by olivant; 10/04/08 03:39 PM.

"Generosity. That was my first mistake."
"Experience must be our only guide; reason may mislead us."
"Instagram is Twitter for people who can't read."
Re: NY/NJ mob war [Re: olivant] #514099
10/06/08 10:19 PM
10/06/08 10:19 PM
Toronto, Ontario
D
dontommasino Offline
Underboss
dontommasino  Offline
D
Underboss
Toronto, Ontario
Originally Posted By: olivant
I don't think there was any equivalency between the Sopranos and Phil's family. Why do you think Tony went so far out of his way to please Phil? Remember when Tony told Christopher "He's got 200 soldiers in his family." He knew that NY would make mincemeat out of the Sopranos. Once the war started, he knew that the only way to stop it was to give in or kill Phil. That's why he asked at the sitdown for a 20 on Phil.

Was there anything in that episode to make Tony believe that Butch and Albie were unhappy with Phil?

Re: NY/NJ mob war [Re: BDuff] #514124
10/07/08 01:20 AM
10/07/08 01:20 AM
J
JSTony Offline
Button
JSTony  Offline
J
Button
Originally Posted By: BDuff
It wasn't really a "war", more about Phil being fed up with the DiMeo administration and wanting to decapiatate it and put people incharge who would listen to him. Most mob wars are inner family: The 90s Colombo war, Merlino/Stanfa war, Scarfo/Riccobene, etc.

Something like this almost took place in 2000. The Genovese wanted to start a bookmaking operation in South Philadelphia and conspired with the Philly North NJ Capo, Pete "The Crumb" Caprio to kill Joseph "Uncle Joe" Ligambi (Boss), Steven "Handsome Stevie" Mazzone (Underboss), and George "Freckles" Borgesi (Consigliere)...which the the Philadelphia family's administration.

Members of the Genovese and Gambino Families plotted with Caprio to take out the Philadelphia administration. Just the latest in a long history of New York's two dominant Families wanting to expand and exert influence over Philadelphia. As is well known, Gigante and other Genovese leaders gave the OK to kill Angelo Bruno, as well as six other Philadelphia gangland murders following that in order to expand their operations into Atlantic City.

Later on, the Genovese decided to recognize Ligambi as official boss of Philadelphia and he is now supported by them. The Genovese actually did open a bookmaking operation right in the heart of South Philadelphia. It was run jointly by Lawrence "Little Larry" Dentico and Ludwig "Ninny" Bruschi's crews.

Re: NY/NJ mob war [Re: JSTony] #514307
10/07/08 04:41 PM
10/07/08 04:41 PM
In a van down by the river!
Longneck Offline
Longneck  Offline

In a van down by the river!
Sil and Bobby didn't think they had a reason to hide either.

I would say The Sopranos should have went after the top NY guys except if they did that then you have all 200 soldiers coming after you and you can't do any business at all.

Long as I remember The rain been coming down.
Clouds of Mystery pouring Confusion on the ground.
Good men through the ages, Trying to find the sun;
And I wonder, Still I wonder, Who'll stop the rain.

Re: NY/NJ mob war [Re: dontommasino] #514346
10/07/08 08:52 PM
10/07/08 08:52 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
Originally Posted By: dontommasino
Originally Posted By: olivant

Was there anything in that episode to make Tony believe that Butch and Albie were unhappy with Phil?

No. Remember, that all took place before Phil had his heart attack. Remember when Tony went to the hospital to visit Phil. Butch especially was antagonistic toward Tony.

"Generosity. That was my first mistake."
"Experience must be our only guide; reason may mislead us."
"Instagram is Twitter for people who can't read."

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull