GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
5 registered members (Malavita, m2w, Irishman12, joepuzzles234, 1 invisible), 299 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,490
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 23,918
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,512
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,332
Posts1,058,802
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
How much do wiseguys kick up? #511590
09/25/08 09:16 AM
09/25/08 09:16 AM
T
Tyler_Durden Offline OP
Made Member
Tyler_Durden  Offline OP
T
Made Member
Is it a set percentage?The higher you are up the ladder the less you kick up,or the more?It doesn't make sense that an associate would kick up more of his money than a made guy,since he doesn't enjoy the same benefits a made guy does.
I got the impression from "The Sopranos" that everyone kicks up 10 points of their money,but i read somewhere on this site that John Gotti's captains sometimes kicked up even 80%...

And also...in "the Blue Comet" episode,Butch mentions that the NJ family has "redundant upper management" that "bleeds of half the kick".What does he mean?

Re: How much do wiseguys kick up? [Re: Tyler_Durden] #511631
09/25/08 01:17 PM
09/25/08 01:17 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
The Mafia is a pyramid scheme. The street guy--whether he's made or is an associate--does all the work. There is no set percentage. It all depends on the boss's greed. As you saw in "Goodfellas," Henry, as an unmade guy, kicked a set amount--$60k--to Paulie from the Air France heist. And in "Sopranos," right after Chris got made, Paulie Walnuts, his boss, gave him a "living" and demanded $4k/week from it. In those case, I'm guessing, each Paulie kept some for himself and kicked a lesser amount upstairs to his own boss. How much less? That'd depend on his boss's greed and what each Paulie thought he could get away with. But then again, each Paulie's boss had multiple people below him kicking money upstairs to him.

I think both those examples are broadly accurate--the difference is that a made guy gets a living and has to kick back a regular percentage or amount to his boss, while the associate kicks back on individual jobs done under family auspices.

As for "Blue Comet," I think the reference was that the family had too many bosses who brought in no money by themselves but had to be paid off by the workin' stiffs. So, the estimate was that 50 percent of all the money earned by the worker-bees was bled off by the bosses. I don't know if that's a lot or a little because every boss sets his own fee.

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.
Re: How much do wiseguys kick up? [Re: Tyler_Durden] #511716
09/25/08 07:39 PM
09/25/08 07:39 PM
J
JSTony Offline
Button
JSTony  Offline
J
Button
Originally Posted By: Tyler_Durden
Is it a set percentage?The higher you are up the ladder the less you kick up,or the more?It doesn't make sense that an associate would kick up more of his money than a made guy,since he doesn't enjoy the same benefits a made guy does.
I got the impression from "The Sopranos" that everyone kicks up 10 points of their money,but i read somewhere on this site that John Gotti's captains sometimes kicked up even 80%...

And also...in "the Blue Comet" episode,Butch mentions that the NJ family has "redundant upper management" that "bleeds of half the kick".What does he mean?

It really varies from crew to crew, Family to Family. In the latest Gambino indictment it was alleged that the administration - D'Amico, Cefalu, Corozzo - were collecting 10% of the Family's profits. Gravano gave a pretty detailed account of how much money he turned over to Gotti, which was about 80%, but that figure never made sense to me as it is an extremely high percentage for the Boss. But even if that were the case, not all of Gotti's Captains kicked up that big of a percentage. It is well known that Gigante took little or no money off his Captains in the later years, as he was already very wealthy and didn't need the money. In fact, the Genovese Family is known for allowing it's crews to keep a bigger percentage of the money they bring andhaving to kick up less money up the ladder.

Re: How much do wiseguys kick up? [Re: JSTony] #511739
09/25/08 09:10 PM
09/25/08 09:10 PM
MI
Lilo Offline
Lilo  Offline

MI
I agree with all the points already made.

Sometimes a boss has a special relationship with a captain or a soldier. Perhaps the underling did the boss a favor some years ago or just never gives the boss any trouble. He then is allowed to give a smaller amount of tribute or operate with a free hand on more things. In addition the captain or soldier may also be geographically distant or working in rackets the boss doesn't fully understand. This allows the subordinate to underestimate the amount of money he's making.

I believe this happened with Riccobene and his boss Bruno in Philadelphia and with Accetturo and his boss Corallo in New York.

In both of these instances a new boss came in, looked things over and decided the level of tribute paid was far too low. Trouble ensued.

If you're the boss I think it's a fine line between taxing people enough to let them know you're on top of things and not taking so much tribute that everyone decides things would work better if you weren't around.

"When the snows fall and the white winds blow, the lone wolf dies but the pack survives."
Winter is Coming

Now this is the Law of the Jungle—as old and as true as the sky; And the wolf that shall keep it may prosper, but the wolf that shall break it must die.
As the creeper that girdles the tree-trunk, the Law runneth forward and back; For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack.
Re: How much do wiseguys kick up? [Re: Lilo] #511742
09/25/08 09:14 PM
09/25/08 09:14 PM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
Originally Posted By: Lilo

If you're the boss I think it's a fine line between taxing people enough to let them know you're on top of things and not taking so much tribute that everyone decides things would work better if you weren't around.

In other words: Pigs get fat. Hogs get slaughtered. wink

"I got news for you. If it wasn't for the toilet, there would be no books." --- George Costanza.
Re: How much do wiseguys kick up? [Re: pizzaboy] #511812
09/26/08 10:52 AM
09/26/08 10:52 AM
Newcastle-upon-Tyne UK
Yogi Barrabbas Offline
Yogi Barrabbas  Offline

Newcastle-upon-Tyne UK
Greed is King eh?

I would rather die on my feet than live on my knees!

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull