GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
3 registered members (British, 2 invisible), 262 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,467
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 23,884
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,512
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,324
Posts1,058,608
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 14 of 33 1 2 12 13 14 15 16 32 33
Re: What the F*ck is Going On With the Economy? [Re: pizzaboy] #534843
03/19/09 11:45 AM
03/19/09 11:45 AM
With Geary in Fredo's Brothel
dontomasso Offline
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline
Consigliere to the Stars

Prediction: If this doesn't die down by Monday, the Secretary of the Treasury will "resigna stating the rukus over him is too much of a distraction in these difficult times and that for the sake of the country he is moving aside. Obama will "reluctantly" accept the resignation, and appoint Larry Summers as acting Secretary pending his confirmation. He will avoid the problems he would have previously faced with Congress who won't have the stomach for a fight.

"Io sono stanco, sono imbigliato, and I wan't everyone here to know, there ain't gonna be no trouble from me..Don Corleone..Cicc' a port!"

"I stood in the courtroom like a fool."

"I am Constanza: Lord of the idiots."

Re: What the F*ck is Going On With the Economy? [Re: Sicilian Babe] #534845
03/19/09 12:29 PM
03/19/09 12:29 PM
Born on the Bayou
Saladbar Offline
Underboss
Saladbar  Offline
Underboss
Born on the Bayou
Originally Posted By: Sicilian Babe
Originally Posted By: Mignon
SB, Do you want your hard earned tax dollars to go to someone who is healthy and can work if they want to but choose not to because it is easier for them to sit on their lazy ass and get paid for it rather then actually go to work and earn a pay check?

Lazy ass?? Do you really think that the vast majority of people who receive public assistance are sitting home on their lazy asses? Do you understand how ridiculously poverty-stricken someone has to be to even qualify?? Federal poverty levels are ridiculously low and haven't been adjusted properly in YEARS.

Maybe you see a lot of lazy ass people where you live, but the people I know who are on public assistance would give their eye teeth for a job. They swallow their pride only for the sake of their children. I'm sure there are drunks and drug addicts who are on public assistance, just as there are working ones, too.

Until we stop providing billions of dollars in no-bid contracts to corporations, billions to bankers who made poor investments, trillions on unnecessary wars, I see the pittance we spend on the poor as a non-issue.

"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time and your government when it deserves it"
Re: What the F*ck is Going On With the Economy? [Re: Saladbar] #534855
03/19/09 01:50 PM
OH, VA, KY
Mignon Offline
Mama Mig
Mignon  Offline
Mama Mig

OH, VA, KY
When I had my daughter we were just barely getting by. The Col. wasn't making much back then. We tried to get food stamps but they said we made to much. They told us if we had another baby and sell the juck car we had we would qualify. I got so pissed off I told that lady I'm not gonna have another baby just to get your damn food stamps left and slammed the door.

Dylan Matthew Moran born 10/30/12

Re: What the F*ck is Going On With the Economy? [Re: Sicilian Babe] #534856
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club

Lazy ass?? Do you really think that the vast majority of people who receive public assistance are sitting home on their lazy asses? Do you understand how ridiculously poverty-stricken someone has to be to even qualify?? .......

Maybe you see a lot of lazy ass people where you live, but the people I know who are on public assistance would give their eye teeth for a job. They swallow their pride only for the sake of their children.......

.......I don't want to make it any more difficult for people to buy food for their children.........

.........Let's say we put this ingenious plan to work. Who is going to oversee it?? Who is going to pay for thousands and thousands of urine tests? Who is going to enforce it? ........

............What if the father's an alcoholic, but the mother's not? Should the children be taken away from their mother if the father fails a drug test?

clap Excellent points SB clap

While I do see and understand the sincerity in Mignon's concerns, and share the outrage that she feels at those who are taking advantage and manipulating the system, at the same time I also know that we have to look at the big picture and realize that we cannot just arbitrarily punish the majority of people who legitimately depend on these federal programs to feed their families and their children.

Do we need to tweak and fix the welfare / federal subsidary systems that we have? Absolutely! But it has to be done the right way in order not to hurt the vast majority of people who's lives depend on these public assistance programs.

Don Cardi cool

Five - ten years from now, they're gonna wish there was American Cosa Nostra. Five - ten years from now, they're gonna miss John Gotti.

Re: What the F*ck is Going On With the Economy? [Re: Mignon] #534858
03/19/09 02:04 PM
03/19/09 02:04 PM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club
When I had my daughter we were just barely getting by. The Col. wasn't making much back then. We tried to get food stamps but they said we made to much. They told us if we had another baby and sell the juck car we had we would qualify. I got so pissed off I told that lady I'm not gonna have another baby just to get your damn food stamps left and slammed the door.

confused

So did you get a job?

Don Cardi cool

Five - ten years from now, they're gonna wish there was American Cosa Nostra. Five - ten years from now, they're gonna miss John Gotti.

Re: What the F*ck is Going On With the Economy? [Re: Mignon] #534875
03/19/09 03:56 PM
03/19/09 03:56 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas

Mig, I'll bet it didn't happen quite that way. You were probably informed of eligibility criteria and the person who provided you with that info simply informed you further that if you had an additonal family member that would satisfy the income eligibility criteria, right?

There's so much anecdotal and incorrect information flowing around out there about welfare. I echo other posters comments aboutit. In Texas, a family of 4 will receive about $400 in food stamps based on $1,000 monthly gross income, no vehicle or other household revenue, and assets under $1,000. The monthly cash benefit would be about $225 One can only be on welfare for up to 60 months, must be registered for work, and even a mother of small children must accept work after 24 months. I guess emoting over these things is to be expected. But having correct information may mitigate that emotion.

Last edited by olivant; 03/19/09 03:57 PM.

"Generosity. That was my first mistake."
"Experience must be our only guide; reason may mislead us."
"Instagram is Twitter for people who can't read."
Re: What the F*ck is Going On With the Economy? [Re: Don Cardi] #534878
03/19/09 04:11 PM
03/19/09 04:11 PM
OH, VA, KY
Mignon Offline
Mama Mig
Mignon  Offline
Mama Mig

OH, VA, KY
Originally Posted By: Don Cardi

confused

So did you get a job?

Yes I did and I hated it.

Re: What the F*ck is Going On With the Economy? [Re: Don Cardi] #534880
03/19/09 04:40 PM
03/19/09 04:40 PM
OH, VA, KY
Mignon Offline
Mama Mig
Mignon  Offline
Mama Mig

OH, VA, KY
While I do see and understand the sincerity in Mignon's concerns, and share the outrage that she feels at those who are taking advantage and manipulating the system, at the same time I also know that we have to look at the big picture and realize that we cannot just arbitrarily punish the majority of people who legitimately depend on these federal programs to feed their families and their children.

Do we need to tweak and fix the welfare / federal subsidary systems that we have? Absolutely! But it has to be done the right way in order not to hurt the vast majority of people who's lives depend on these public assistance programs.

I'm not heartless. I don't want innocent children to go hungry. I know that there are people who need help and assistance. I just hope something can be done that people won't be able to take advantage and manipulate the system one day. But that will probably never happen.

Re: What the F*ck is Going On With the Economy? [Re: Mignon] #534885
03/19/09 07:33 PM
03/19/09 07:33 PM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club
I'm not heartless.

I don't believe that I said or implied, anywhere in my post, that you were heartless! As a matter of fact Mig, I specifically said that I understood that you were being sincere with your concerns AND I even went on to say that I share your outrage at those who are taking advantage of the system!

So did you get a job?
Yes I did and I hated it.

So are you saying that you would have taken the public assistance instead of taking a job had they deemed you elidgable for the public assistance?

Don Cardi cool

Re: What the F*ck is Going On With the Economy? [Re: Mignon] #534891
03/19/09 08:55 PM
03/19/09 08:55 PM
In a van down by the river!
Longneck Offline
Longneck  Offline

In a van down by the river!

I tried to get some kind of health coverage through the state a few years ago and they told my then fiancee and I that if she was pregnant I might qualify.

Long as I remember The rain been coming down.
Clouds of Mystery pouring Confusion on the ground.
Good men through the ages, Trying to find the sun;
And I wonder, Still I wonder, Who'll stop the rain.

Re: What the F*ck is Going On With the Economy? [Re: Longneck] #534893
03/19/09 09:18 PM
03/19/09 09:18 PM
OH, VA, KY
Mignon Offline
Mama Mig
Mignon  Offline
Mama Mig

OH, VA, KY
I don't believe that I said or implied, anywhere in my post, that you were heartless! As a matter of fact Mig, I specifically said that I understood that you were being sincere with your concerns AND I even went on to say that I share your outrage at those who are taking advantage of the system!

I know you didn't DC.

So are you saying that you would have taken the public assistance instead of taking a job had they deemed you elidgable for the public assistance?

We didn't want welfare all we wanted was a few food stamps to help us get by. Everything worked out.

Re: What the F*ck is Going On With the Economy? [Re: Mignon] #534896
03/19/09 09:35 PM
03/19/09 09:35 PM
New York
Sicilian Babe Offline
Sicilian Babe  Offline

New York
And would you have gone to apply for them if you were going to be drug-tested on a weekly basis? Because, as you said, the process is a difficult one as it is. To add one more indignity to it is just one too many, IMO.

But as SaladBar stated, drug-testing welfare recipients is the least of our worries. When our government spends billions bailing out the private sector and trillions on a war that was based on false intelligence, giving food stamps to someone who likes their beer is not making it to the top of my list of problems.

On the other hand, the Dow was down, but only slightly, and the DJIA is still up almost 1,000 points since it's low of 6469. It's something, anyway.

President Emeritus of the Neal Pulcawer Fan Club
Re: What the F*ck is Going On With the Economy? [Re: Sicilian Babe] #534955
03/20/09 05:21 PM
03/20/09 05:21 PM
South of the Pinelands
MaryCas Offline
MaryCas  Offline

South of the Pinelands
Here's another way the economy situation is screwing the average, hard-working homeowner like me. Two years ago I moved to South Jersey from a NYC suburb (goodbye SB). I bought a bigger house than I needed, but it cost less than the house I sold, so I made a little money. We all know how the real estate business went. My timing has never been good. So now my mortgage company-Wells Fargo- sends me an offer to refinance for free. Well I don't qualify. They appraised my house at 15% less than what I bought it for. I have a big mortgage, so my loan to value is 92.5% and it has to be 80%. I don't qualify for a conventional refinance either. All I want to do is lower my monthly payments, so I have more money to pump back into the economy.

Then I thought about my Homerowners Insurance. If the value of my house went down, how about the value of my insurance. No such luck. It's gone up 5% each of the past two years and I quote, "Coverage for your home has been increased by 5% to more adequately reflect the cost to rebuild your home."

Dear MC, please bend over so we can screw you more easily. Thank you for tipping your ass upward in the submissive posture.

Whoever exalts himself will be humbled, whoever humbles himself will be exalted - Matthew 23:12
Re: What the F*ck is Going On With the Economy? [Re: MaryCas] #534964
03/20/09 10:19 PM
03/20/09 10:19 PM
New York
Sicilian Babe Offline
Sicilian Babe  Offline

New York
Originally Posted By: MaryCas
Two years ago I moved to South Jersey from a NYC suburb (goodbye SB).

That's what you get for leaving me without having dinner and drinks first. tongue

Re: What the F*ck is Going On With the Economy? [Re: Sicilian Babe] #535275
03/23/09 09:33 PM
03/23/09 09:33 PM
California
The Italian Stallionette Offline
The Italian Stallionette  Offline

California
15 AIG employees have agreed to give back their bonuses totally 50 million (out of 165 million). I saw yesterday that there was bus tours to some of these peoples' homes protesting. lol Anyway, it's a start. Market soared today too I hear.

TIS

Link

"Mankind must put an end to war before war puts an end to mankind. War will exist until that distant day when the conscientious objector enjoys the same reputation and prestige that the warrior does today." JFK

"War is over, if you want it" - John Lennon

Re: What the F*ck is Going On With the Economy? [Re: The Italian Stallionette] #535276
03/23/09 09:38 PM
03/23/09 09:38 PM
New York
Sicilian Babe Offline
Sicilian Babe  Offline

New York
TIS, the Dow closed up just shy of 500 points!! WOO HOO!!!

Re: What the F*ck is Going On With the Economy? [Re: Sicilian Babe] #535279
03/23/09 09:53 PM
03/23/09 09:53 PM
OH, VA, KY
Mignon Offline
Mama Mig
Mignon  Offline
Mama Mig

OH, VA, KY
I don't understand what's makes it fluctuate up and down like that. rolleyes whistle

Re: What the F*ck is Going On With the Economy? [Re: Mignon] #535280
03/23/09 10:05 PM
03/23/09 10:05 PM
California

California
I just heard on Rachel Maddow that Bernard Madoff is responsible for one of the e-mail scams from another country. Know what I mean? The ones that has some rich guy or lady, from Nigeria (or another foreign country) wants to transfer funds to your bank account. Anybody else heart this? She even had a copy of the e-mail lolI think I probably received one too. I get at least 12 a day it seems. mad

TIS

"Mankind must put an end to war before war puts an end to mankind. War will exist until that distant day when the conscientious objector enjoys the same reputation and prestige that the warrior does today." JFK

Re: What the F*ck is Going On With the Economy? [Re: Mignon] #535288
03/23/09 11:14 PM
03/23/09 11:14 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
I don't understand what's makes it fluctuate up and down like that. rolleyes whistle

Buying and selling.

"Generosity. That was my first mistake."
"Experience must be our only guide; reason may mislead us."
"Instagram is Twitter for people who can't read."
Re: What the F*ck is Going On With the Economy? [Re: Sicilian Babe] #535292
03/23/09 11:56 PM
03/23/09 11:56 PM
Staten Island / New Jersey
Just Lou Offline
Just Lou  Offline

Don't get too excited. It will probably be down 300 tomorrow. rolleyes

Re: What the F*ck is Going On With the Economy? [Re: Just Lou] #535316
03/24/09 06:48 AM
03/24/09 06:48 AM
New York
Sicilian Babe Offline
Sicilian Babe  Offline

New York
Originally Posted By: Just Lou

Don't get too excited. It will probably be down 300 tomorrow. rolleyes

And it's that kind of negative attitude that has ruined the economy. C'mon, JL. Enjoy the moment, whether it's short-lived or the start of a trend (I prefer the latter).

Re: What the F*ck is Going On With the Economy? [Re: Sicilian Babe] #535334
03/24/09 11:04 AM
03/24/09 11:04 AM
East Bay
Blibbleblabble Offline
Poo-tee-weet?
Blibbleblabble  Offline
Poo-tee-weet?

East Bay
Shall we takes bets on whether the Dow finishes over/under -300 today? tongue

"There's never enough time to do all the nothing you want." -Calvin and Hobbes
Re: What the F*ck is Going On With the Economy? [Re: Blibbleblabble] #535336
03/24/09 11:08 AM
03/24/09 11:08 AM
California

California
I'm in. In some respects I'm an eternal optimist, so I'll say at least another day of "over". wink Wait, we're not betting a million dollars or house deeds or anything like that right? lol

Do I have to say how much over? I don't really know nuttin' about nuttin' when it comes to such preciseness. tongue

TIS

Re: What the F*ck is Going On With the Economy? [Re: The Italian Stallionette] #535342
03/24/09 12:00 PM
03/24/09 12:00 PM
New York
Sicilian Babe Offline
Sicilian Babe  Offline

New York
Well, it's down almost 70!! Thanks for the jinx, JL! tongue

Re: What the F*ck is Going On With the Economy? [Re: Sicilian Babe] #535361
03/24/09 01:56 PM
03/24/09 01:56 PM
Just Lou Offline
Just Lou  Offline

Don't blame me. tongue ...And it's bouncing back right now.

Re: What the F*ck is Going On With the Economy? [Re: Just Lou] #536260
04/03/09 11:42 AM
04/03/09 11:42 AM
California

California
California raised local sales tax to 9 per cent. mad

Okay, a few cents doesn't seem like much, but in this economy, many will feel the crunch. Supposedly this is temporary and due to end in 2011 or 12. We'll see. ohwell

"Starting Wednesday, California's sales tax will rise to six percent, bringing the average local sales tax rate to almost nine percent -- one of the highest in the nation."

Tax Increase

TIS

Re: What the F*ck is Going On With the Economy? [Re: The Italian Stallionette] #538515
04/22/09 11:41 AM
04/22/09 11:41 AM
New York
Sicilian Babe Offline
Sicilian Babe  Offline

New York
I heard on the radio this morning that the acting CEO of Freddie Mac was found dead in his VA home, probably a suicide.

In Baltimore, a man rented out a hotel room, then shot his family and killed himself. He was supposedly almost $500,000 in debt.

Although there have been glimmers of improvement in the economy, I think we will see more and more of this in the months to come.

Re: What the F*ck is Going On With the Economy? [Re: Sicilian Babe] #538517
04/22/09 12:16 PM
04/22/09 12:16 PM
OH, VA, KY
Mignon Offline
Mama Mig
Mignon  Offline
Mama Mig

OH, VA, KY
Although there have been glimmers of improvement in the economy, I think we will see more and more of this in the months to come.

You will also see more and more people breaking into other people's homes.

Re: What the F*ck is Going On With the Economy? [Re: Mignon] #538632
04/23/09 10:43 AM
04/23/09 10:43 AM
dontomasso Offline
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline
Consigliere to the Stars

Somewhere, there are piles of cash waiting to buy out everything once deflation hits. I don't see anything getting better right now.

"Io sono stanco, sono imbigliato, and I wan't everyone here to know, there ain't gonna be no trouble from me..Don Corleone..Cicc' a port!"

"I stood in the courtroom like a fool."

"I am Constanza: Lord of the idiots."

Re: What the F*ck is Going On With the Economy? [Re: dontomasso] #538635
04/23/09 11:03 AM
04/23/09 11:03 AM
Anytown, USA
goombah Offline
goombah  Offline

Anytown, USA
While the economy seems to be turning around a bit, and the forecast is not all gloom and doom like it was last fall, I think the stories like the Freddie Mac CEO and private citizens in massive debt will continue. The stress of being in massive debt is terrible, but not worth killing oneself or loved ones over. But it's obvious that crimes related to the economic crisis will continue for some time. Very sad.

Page 14 of 33 1 2 12 13 14 15 16 32 33

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull