GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (1 invisible), 81 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,657
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 24,183
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,518
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,389
Posts1,059,897
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Making Vincent a Don #31851
08/24/05 06:21 PM
08/24/05 06:21 PM
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Don Pappo Napolitano Offline OP
Underboss
Don Pappo Napolitano  Offline OP
Underboss
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Do you agree about making Vincent a Don? It seems that in the movie you have to be a relative to become a don, in the real life, it depends on the skills you have, relative or not. If I was Michael I would make Al Neri a Don, because of his long time loyal service and Vincent cannot learn in a couple of mounths the things you take 30 years to learn, and he gets angry easily, like his father, I don´t think he is capable to reason as well as Vito and Michael, and I think he has very much to learn, and is unjust becoming a Don overpassing Al Neri.

Pelé is the King
Maradona is God!
Re: Making Vincent a Don #31852
08/24/05 06:30 PM
08/24/05 06:30 PM
Miami, FL
Don Andrew Offline
Underboss
Don Andrew  Offline
Underboss
Miami, FL
Making Al Neri a Don would be like making Luca Brasi a Don. Though Al was less of a savage, I would never make him a Don.

And as I stated in the other thread, Vincent was the only choice.

Although Connie was tough as nails. tongue

Hey, how's it going?
Re: Making Vincent a Don #31853
08/24/05 09:00 PM
08/24/05 09:00 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
I believe that Michael making Vincent his "successor" was an act of calculated manipulation and cynicism. I think Michael recognized Vincent for what he was: a pazzo and a hothead, like his (Vincent's) father. So, why did he do it?
First, it was a quid pro quo to get Vincent away from Mary. Michael didn't want his daughter to marry Vincent--he wanted Mary to himself, probably to (later) marry someone "respectable."
Second, it was another way for Michael to use Vincent. Michael's vision of himself and his enterprise was for complete legitimacy, following his successful takover of Immobiliare. The "strong-arm" part of his enterprise would fade into insignificance, though he might always need some muscle. Making Vincent "the Don" was like giving away the sleeves of his vest--Vincent would provide a "fear factor" for his enemies while presiding over an ever-dwindling criminal operation.
What about Neri? I think by that time, Neri was too old to provide much force. He was basically a bodyguard and a gofer.

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.
Re: Making Vincent a Don #31854
08/24/05 11:54 PM
08/24/05 11:54 PM
Tennessee
marlon Offline
Made Member
marlon  Offline
Made Member
Tennessee
This is one of the things that bothered me about GF3.
Vincent a Don? Connie authorizing hits? Yea, right.

I think FFC said it best himself in the comments on the dvd. He talked about how difficult it was to come up with enough new ideas to do a part 2. When they got to part 3 they were really scraping the barrel and just trying to get the thing finished.

Re: Making Vincent a Don #31855
08/25/05 05:53 AM
08/25/05 05:53 AM
Milky Way
Enzo Scifo Offline
Underboss
Enzo Scifo  Offline
Underboss
Milky Way
Anthony could have been Don, if he wanted to. He must have had the skills.

See, we can act as smart as we want, but at the end of the day, we still follow a guy who fucks himself with kebab skewers.
Re: Making Vincent a Don #31856
08/25/05 08:18 AM
08/25/05 08:18 AM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club
Originally posted by Enzo Scifo:
Anthony could have been Don, if he wanted to. He must have had the skills.
Mary would have been a better choice than Anthony.

Don Cardi cool

Don Cardi cool

Five - ten years from now, they're gonna wish there was American Cosa Nostra. Five - ten years from now, they're gonna miss John Gotti.

Re: Making Vincent a Don #31857
08/25/05 08:24 AM
08/25/05 08:24 AM
Chicago
BarrytheBull Offline
Made Member
BarrytheBull  Offline
Made Member
Chicago
Michael made Vincent a don because the times were changing, Michaels ways of thinking were getting old, like his dads when he first took over in GF1.....outdated, Vincent was the future times were changing, and Vincent was a product of the changing times.....plus Michael knew that the only way he could really get out of the "business" would be to make Vincent the new Don......everyone would turn to him instead of Michael.....just like Don Vito wanted when he retired......you know, to grow his tomatos and peppers...lol.
I am sure that Anthony could have been a Don if he was dedicated to the cause, he may have even had that Corleone swagger too.....but Kay was too much an influence on him, plus after seeing his sister blown away, that may have changed his mind as well... eek eek eek

The Bull!!!

"...you straightened my brother out??"

"Give him a living, but never discuss the family business in front of him."
Re: Making Vincent a Don #31858
08/25/05 09:54 AM
08/25/05 09:54 AM
South of the Pinelands
MaryCas Offline
MaryCas  Offline

South of the Pinelands
To expand on Turnbull's answer:

Making Vincent the Don was a safe and calculated move. 1. He brought the muscle, cunning, and ruthlessness needed to protect and eliminate. 2. Having Vincent as Don created a buffer; it was easier to disassociate himself from Vincent if things went wrong. 3. If Vincent was killed, no big loss. Michael probably didn't see him as family.

Whoever exalts himself will be humbled, whoever humbles himself will be exalted - Matthew 23:12
Re: Making Vincent a Don #31859
08/25/05 11:53 AM
08/25/05 11:53 AM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
Michael wanted out and Vincent was the only blood(?) relative who, as Connie said, had his father's strength.

"Generosity. That was my first mistake."
"Experience must be our only guide; reason may mislead us."
"Instagram is Twitter for people who can't read."
Re: Making Vincent a Don #31860
08/25/05 01:32 PM
08/25/05 01:32 PM
With Geary in Fredo's Brothel
dontomasso Offline
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline
Consigliere to the Stars

With Geary in Fredo's Brothel
Originally posted by Don Cardi:
Originally posted by Enzo Scifo:
[b] Anthony could have been Don, if he wanted to. He must have had the skills.
Mary would have been a better choice than Anthony.

Don Cardi cool [/b]
They could never have made Anthony the Don. The first rule of being a Don is that when you are in a pinch you don't sing to the authorities.

"Io sono stanco, sono imbigliato, and I wan't everyone here to know, there ain't gonna be no trouble from me..Don Corleone..Cicc' a port!"

"I stood in the courtroom like a fool."

"I am Constanza: Lord of the idiots."

Re: Making Vincent a Don #31861
08/25/05 04:28 PM
08/25/05 04:28 PM
Little Chicago
Tony Love Offline
Underboss
Tony Love  Offline
Underboss
Little Chicago
Originally posted by Don_Andrew:
Making Al Neri a Don would be like making Luca Brasi a Don. Though Al was less of a savage, I would never make him a Don.
I think I would have to agree with you. There are some leaders, and there are some followers. Al Neri was best as a loyal button for Don Michael, not sure if he had the mind to run his own family. Vincent was a good choice. He was young, confident, Italian, and other than his beef with Zasa (which he could have handled in a better way), I think he was Don-material.

"Any American who is prepared to run for president should automatically, by definition, be disqualified from ever doing so"-Gore Vidal
"Conformity is the jailer of freedom and enemy of growth"-John Fitzgerald Kennedy
"The reason the mainstream is thought of as a stream is because of its shallowness"-George Carlin
Re: Making Vincent a Don #31862
08/25/05 04:42 PM
08/25/05 04:42 PM
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Don Pappo Napolitano Offline OP
Underboss
Don Pappo Napolitano  Offline OP
Underboss
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Turnbull don`t underestimate Al Neri, maybe he is the Michael`s Luca Brassi but is he more intelligent. I don`t agree at all about making Vincent a Don because he did not make a career, Al Neri did, he deserves respect because of all his years with Michael. It is not the same making Al Neri a Don as making Luca Brassi.And many bosses are old, it has nothing to do, all depends on the skills. Anthony could be Michael`s son but he cannot be a mafioso. Vincent is gonna take the Family to the ruin because he is gonna deal with drugs, Vito said drugs would destroy them in the years to come...
And about the relationship between Mary and Vicent..come on people!!!THEY ARE COUSINS!!!It is a bullshit, I could not allow a relationship like this, that is one of the thing that bothered me most

Pelé is the King
Maradona is God!

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull