GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
2 registered members (2 invisible), 373 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,451
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 23,854
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,509
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,313
Posts1,058,420
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Tom as consigliere #504613
08/15/08 11:48 AM
08/15/08 11:48 AM
Huntsville, AL
FrankWhite Offline OP
Capo
FrankWhite  Offline OP
Capo
Huntsville, AL
I often wonder this... how/when is Tom consigliere??? We just take for granted that this is true, but I, honestly, never really bought that he was ever anything more than an "interim" consigliere. Did Vito ever really make him consigliere??? The first time (to my recollection) that we know of Tom being consigliere is when Sollozo takes him and addresses him as such.

"From now on, nothing goes down unless I'm involved. No blackjack no dope deals, no nothing. A nickel bag gets sold in the park, I want in. You guys got fat while everybody starved on the street. Now it's my turn." (King of New York)
Re: Tom as consigliere [Re: FrankWhite] #504617
08/15/08 11:58 AM
08/15/08 11:58 AM
Anytown, USA
goombah Offline
goombah  Offline

Anytown, USA
Tom was most definitely consigliere to both Vito & Sonny (after Vito was shot). It was a permanent appointment to the position, more fully explained in the novel. While never addressed explicitly, Tom was effectively minimized by Vito after Sonny was kid. As the novel stated, even Tom knew he was no wartime consiglieri as having been lulled to sleep by Barzini and the other Corleone enemies when Santino was killed. In the novel, Tom knows that Genco would have never been outsmarted by the enemy to let Sonny be killed.

Vito did not have the heart to formally replace Tom, so he let Michael do it. By the same token, Vito could not personally have Carlo killed, so he again let the burden to Michael.

Re: Tom as consigliere [Re: goombah] #504620
08/15/08 12:07 PM
08/15/08 12:07 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
Michael said, "After all, who's a better consigliere than my father?" But he seemingly put Tom back in the consigliere role after Vito died because he needed him. As you saw, by the beginning of II, Tom was out in the cold again--until the Tahoe shooting, when he became "the Don." rolleyes

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.
Re: Tom as consigliere [Re: Turnbull] #504624
08/15/08 12:14 PM
08/15/08 12:14 PM
With Geary in Fredo's Brothel
dontomasso Offline
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline
Consigliere to the Stars

In some other thread they are talking about how Michael trusted no one. I must amend my position. Michael always trustd Tom in that he knew no matter haw horribly he treated him, he would keep coming back for more.

Last edited by dontomasso; 08/16/08 10:44 AM.

"Io sono stanco, sono imbigliato, and I wan't everyone here to know, there ain't gonna be no trouble from me..Don Corleone..Cicc' a port!"

"I stood in the courtroom like a fool."

"I am Constanza: Lord of the idiots."

Re: Tom as consigliere [Re: dontomasso] #504626
08/15/08 12:18 PM
08/15/08 12:18 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
Originally Posted By: dontomasso
In some other threat they are talking about how Michael trusted no one. I must amend my position. Michael always trustd Tom in that he knew no matter haw horribly he treated him, he would keep coming back for more.

True. Michael was adept at discerning people's vulnerabilites and strengths and he preyed on Tom's loyalty.

"Generosity. That was my first mistake."
"Experience must be our only guide; reason may mislead us."
"Instagram is Twitter for people who can't read."
Re: Tom as consigliere [Re: olivant] #504651
08/15/08 01:33 PM
08/15/08 01:33 PM
Huntsville, AL
FrankWhite Offline OP
Capo
FrankWhite  Offline OP
Capo
Huntsville, AL
ok... so what I gather from all this is that, just like the rest of the family who were never officially "made", Tom kind of assumed the position of a consigliere... not necessarily by title, but by default of the job that he did after Genco's death. Is that you guys' position?

"From now on, nothing goes down unless I'm involved. No blackjack no dope deals, no nothing. A nickel bag gets sold in the park, I want in. You guys got fat while everybody starved on the street. Now it's my turn." (King of New York)
Re: Tom as consigliere [Re: FrankWhite] #504681
08/15/08 02:47 PM
08/15/08 02:47 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
No. As Goombah pointed out, the novel provides more detail. Here's the relevant passage (p.49 of the first edition paperback):

"It had been a busy but satisfying day [Connie's wedding day] for Tom Hagen. Genco Abbandando had died at 3 in the morning, and when Don Corleone returned from the hospital, he had informed Hagen that he was officially the new consigliere to the family."

Re: Tom as consigliere [Re: Turnbull] #504695
08/15/08 03:19 PM
08/15/08 03:19 PM
Anytown, USA
goombah Offline
goombah  Offline

Anytown, USA
Just to add to Turnbull's quotation, Tom never took for granted that he would obtain the position. He was "interim" while Genco was still alive (I think for approximiately 1 year), but was definitely permanent when Genco died.

All of the Corleone enemies, including Sollozzo, held little account for Hagen. In the novel, Sollozzo said something to the effect (when he snatched Hagen) "you're not even Italian, much less Sicilian." Finally, at the meeting of the Families to negotiate the peace, Puzo remarked how some of the Families referred to the Corleone's as the "Irish Gang" because of Hagen's Irish heritage.

Re: Tom as consigliere [Re: goombah] #504710
08/15/08 05:09 PM
08/15/08 05:09 PM
Huntsville, AL
FrankWhite Offline OP
Capo
FrankWhite  Offline OP
Capo
Huntsville, AL
oh ok... I got you... I guess that the showing of Hagen taking the seat of consigliere was buried in the same grave as the Genco death scene that I love so much.

Re: Tom as consigliere [Re: goombah] #504711
08/15/08 05:13 PM
08/15/08 05:13 PM
Baltimore, MD US
R
Rushietto Offline
Associate
Rushietto  Offline
R
Associate
Baltimore, MD US
Vito called Tom his consigliere right before Tom told him about Sonny being killed

Re: Tom as consigliere [Re: Turnbull] #504753
08/16/08 01:24 AM
08/16/08 01:24 AM
Texas
Lucchese Offline
.90 Caliber
Lucchese  Offline
.90 Caliber
Made Member
Texas
Originally Posted By: Turnbull
Michael said, "After all, who's a better consigliere than my father?" But he seemingly put Tom back in the consigliere role after Vito died because he needed him. As you saw, by the beginning of II, Tom was out in the cold again--until the Tahoe shooting, when he became "the Don." rolleyes

Classic Michael: use, use, and use some more.

"The only wealth in this world is children. More than all the money and power on Earth." --Michael Corleone
Re: Tom as consigliere [Re: goombah] #504781
08/16/08 08:23 AM
08/16/08 08:23 AM
Berlin, Germany
Danito Offline
Underboss
Danito  Offline
Underboss
Berlin, Germany
Originally Posted By: goombah
Vito did not have the heart to formally replace Tom, so he let Michael do it.

This raises another question. Vito says to Tom after his replacement as consigliere: "I advised Michael", which propably doesn't comfort Tom, does it? Advising Michael to do so is practcally the same as replacing Tom himself.

Re: Tom as consigliere [Re: Danito] #504826
08/16/08 01:29 PM
08/16/08 01:29 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
True. But he was also trying to soften the blow to Tom by implying that Michael had consulted him before removing Tom as consigliere.

Re: Tom as consigliere [Re: Turnbull] #504827
08/16/08 01:36 PM
08/16/08 01:36 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
And he also told Tom that he thought Sonny was a bad don, but that he never thought Tom was a bad Consigliere.

But ... we have to consider what might only be a correlation. As Tom functions as Consigliere and then is actually named as Consigliere, the Corleone family fortunes decline. Was that just a confluence of events?True, Tom advised Vito that he should accept the Sollozzo deal. But, other than that, how was Tom an asset to the Corleones?

Re: Tom as consigliere [Re: olivant] #504831
08/16/08 01:46 PM
08/16/08 01:46 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
That's an interesting question, Olivant. I'd argue that the Corleone fortunes declined because Vito was shot and incapacitated--and that was because he underestimated Solozzo. Also, apperently he didn't include Tom in his plan to use Luca to try to get close to the Tattaglias--a patently ridiculous idea that Tom might well have advised against.

On the other hand, Tom truly wasn't a wartime consigliere. I don't think it's just an empty phrase. As he said (in the novel, re. the Sonny ambush): "Old Genco would have smelled a rat." Not only that, Tom probably was overcautious. For example, he told Sonny that, as long as McCluskey was guarding Sol, "he is invulnerable." But if Michael hadn't prevailed, I'm certain Sol would have gotten another (probably successful) shot at Vito. As we've discussed before, his training as a lawyer prepared him for conciliation, whereas Genco's background as a Sicilian prepared him for cunning, and to anticipate cunning.

Re: Tom as consigliere [Re: Turnbull] #504895
08/16/08 04:42 PM
08/16/08 04:42 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
Originally Posted By: Turnbull
That's an interesting question, Olivant. I'd argue that the Corleone fortunes declined because Vito was shot and incapacitated--and that was because he underestimated Solozzo. Also, apperently he didn't include Tom in his plan to use Luca to try to get close to the Tattaglias--a patently ridiculous idea that Tom might well have advised against.

On the other hand, Tom truly wasn't a wartime consigliere. I don't think it's just an empty phrase. As he said (in the novel, re. the Sonny ambush): "Old Genco would have smelled a rat." Not only that, Tom probably was overcautious. For example, he told Sonny that, as long as McCluskey was guarding Sol, "he is invulnerable." But if Michael hadn't prevailed, I'm certain Sol would have gotten another (probably successful) shot at Vito. As we've discussed before, his training as a lawyer prepared him for conciliation, whereas Genco's background as a Sicilian prepared him for cunning, and to anticipate cunning.

Maybe Tom was a jinx.

Re: Tom as consigliere [Re: olivant] #504897
08/16/08 04:49 PM
08/16/08 04:49 PM
Texas
Lucchese Offline
.90 Caliber
Lucchese  Offline
.90 Caliber
Made Member
Texas
Originally Posted By: olivant
Maybe Tom was a jinx.

LOL, I wouldn't go that far. Tom was a good consigliere, but simply was not Sicilian, thus preventing him from being a complete consigliere. As Micheal stated, "That's no reflection on Tom." You can't be what you aren't.

"The only wealth in this world is children. More than all the money and power on Earth." --Michael Corleone
Re: Tom as consigliere [Re: Lucchese] #504921
08/16/08 07:35 PM
08/16/08 07:35 PM
Berlin, Germany
Danito Offline
Underboss
Danito  Offline
Underboss
Berlin, Germany
There's an interesiting point in the Sonny-Tom-relationshop. While they discuss what to do after the hospital incident, Sonny bursts out: "No, no, no! Not this time, consigliere." Why does he call Tom "consigliere"? Is he trying to ridicule him or his new function or their new relationship as Don/Consigliere? Note that a few seconds before he calls him "Tomanoutch".
Tom says "Sonny" after almost every sentence.
So, what's this consigliere-reference in this scene? Why is Sonny saying it in a moment of great anger.

Re: Tom as consigliere [Re: Danito] #504925
08/16/08 09:16 PM
08/16/08 09:16 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
Originally Posted By: Danito
There's an interesiting point in the Sonny-Tom-relationshop. While they discuss what to do after the hospital incident, Sonny bursts out: "No, no, no! Not this time, consigliere." Why does he call Tom "consigliere"? Is he trying to ridicule him or his new function or their new relationship as Don/Consigliere? Note that a few seconds before he calls him "Tomanoutch".
Tom says "Sonny" after almost every sentence.
So, what's this consigliere-reference in this scene? Why is Sonny saying it in a moment of great anger.

He's not angry at Tom; he's just made up his mind on a course of action. Of course, just a few minuts later, Sonny accepts Tom's caution to consider the disastrous results if Sonny pursues that course of action. Also, don't forget that in a previous scene in Vito's office just before they are brought the fish in Luca's vest that Sonny calls Tom Consigliere when he asks him for advice if Vito dies. When he calls Tom Consigliere in the scene you are referring to, Sonny's simply emphasizing that he intends a course of action that is a departure from Tom's proposed course of action and Tom's course of action is a function of his role as Consigliere. Remember, Tom's Consigliere role is to advance the interests of the Corleone family at the least cost to the Corleones and certainly without spilling blood.

Re: Tom as consigliere [Re: olivant] #504957
08/17/08 06:07 AM
08/17/08 06:07 AM
Berlin, Germany
Danito Offline
Underboss
Danito  Offline
Underboss
Berlin, Germany
He's not angry at Tom; he's just made up his mind on a course of action. Of course, just a few minuts later, Sonny accepts Tom's caution to consider the disastrous results if Sonny pursues that course of action. Also, don't forget that in a previous scene in Vito's office just before they are brought the fish in Luca's vest that Sonny calls Tom Consigliere when he asks him for advice if Vito dies. When he calls Tom Consigliere in the scene you are referring to, Sonny's simply emphasizing that he intends a course of action that is a departure from Tom's proposed course of action and Tom's course of action is a function of his role as Consigliere. Remember, Tom's Consigliere role is to advance the interests of the Corleone family at the least cost to the Corleones and certainly without spilling blood.

Agreed. Nevertheless, they have a brotherlike relationship. They've called each other "Sonny" and "Tom"/"Tomanouch" for years. So it's a little strange that when Sonny's losing his temper, he calls his brother consigliere. To me it sounds a little like: "Oh Tom, don't try to play the consigliere."
Later, when Sonny is shot, Vito calls Tom "consigliere of mine", as if to remind him that this is his function. This also contrasts the very private situation.
Would Tom have ever called Sonny "Godfather"?
Would Vito have ever called Genco "consigliere of mine"?

Re: Tom as consigliere [Re: Danito] #504990
08/17/08 12:53 PM
08/17/08 12:53 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
No, Tom would probably have never called Sonny Godfather because Godfather was an appellation that Vito earned through the huge respect and admiration Vito engendered in people. Sonny did not do so. But Vito might certainly have called Genco consigliere of mine. It's not a pejorative term. It's the same as calling a child son instead of by his given name.

Re: Tom as consigliere [Re: olivant] #505141
08/18/08 11:18 AM
08/18/08 11:18 AM
dontomasso Offline
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline
Consigliere to the Stars

Tom was never the Don, he was acting Don until Vito recovered, so technically Tom always remained as Vito's consigliere, i.e. "the family's" consigliere. During the illness of Vito I think Tom and Sonny saw themselves in the same boat and more or less as equals, except when Sonny lost his temper and said
Pop had Genco look what I got." You can see them acting more like equals (in the film at least, when Michael first comes up with the idea that he will kill Sol and McCluskey. Also you can see them as equals in the scenes where Tom raise his voice to Sonny. He would never have done that to Vito.

Michael, on the other hand did become "The Godfather." He was Godfather to Michael Rizzi, and presumably others, and was truly the head of the family. In a great deleted scene Sonny's eldest daughter and her fiance come to Michael to get permission to marry. It is one of the few times when we see Michael's warm and playful side when he tells the young man that it is ok to major in fine art, but that he better take some business courses. When the young man tells him he is a trust fund baby Michael accepts this but thn tells him to take some business courses anyway.

"Io sono stanco, sono imbigliato, and I wan't everyone here to know, there ain't gonna be no trouble from me..Don Corleone..Cicc' a port!"

"I stood in the courtroom like a fool."

"I am Constanza: Lord of the idiots."

Re: Tom as consigliere [Re: dontomasso] #505156
08/18/08 12:22 PM
08/18/08 12:22 PM
S
SPWannabe Offline
Wiseguy
SPWannabe  Offline
S
Wiseguy
i always liked Tom as the consig. My favorite charactor in the first movie by far.

CHECK OUT THIS PHILLY MOB BLOG!
www.phillymobspot.blogspot.com
SALVIE TESTA/ANGELO BRUNO/MORE
Re: Tom as consigliere [Re: dontomasso] #505178
08/18/08 03:03 PM
08/18/08 03:03 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
Originally Posted By: dontomasso
In a great deleted scene Sonny's eldest daughter and her fiance come to Michael to get permission to marry. It is one of the few times when we see Michael's warm and playful side when he tells the young man that it is ok to major in fine art, but that he better take some business courses. When the young man tells him he is a trust fund baby Michael accepts this but thn tells him to take some business courses anyway.

Yes, that was absolutely one of the best of the deleted scenes. I love it when Michael tells Tom, "Make sure her dowry's big. These people think Italian brides go barefoot." lol

Re: Tom as consigliere [Re: Danito] #505405
08/20/08 02:22 PM
08/20/08 02:22 PM
Huntsville, AL
FrankWhite Offline OP
Capo
FrankWhite  Offline OP
Capo
Huntsville, AL

Agreed. Nevertheless, they have a brotherlike relationship. They've called each other "Sonny" and "Tom"/"Tomanouch" for years. So it's a little strange that when Sonny's losing his temper, he calls his brother consigliere. To me it sounds a little like: "Oh Tom, don't try to play the consigliere."
Later, when Sonny is shot, Vito calls Tom "consigliere of mine", as if to remind him that this is his function. This also contrasts the very private situation.

actually... I think this statement by Sonny was more like "Ok Tom... you have the position of consigliere... now you have to step up and act with the responsibility that this office holds. what should we we do?"

Re: Tom as consigliere [Re: FrankWhite] #505408
08/20/08 02:27 PM
08/20/08 02:27 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
Originally Posted By: FrankWhite

actually... I think this statement by Sonny was more like "Ok Tom... you have the position of consigliere... now you have to step up and act with the responsibility that this office holds. what should we we do?"

Basically, I agree. Tom is Consigliere and he's the goto guy for advice. But I don't think Sonny's statement is pejorative at all by telling Tom to step up to the plate. Again, Tom is the one, logically, for Sonny to turn to.

Last edited by olivant; 08/20/08 02:27 PM.

Re: Tom as consigliere [Re: olivant] #505981
08/24/08 12:40 AM
08/24/08 12:40 AM
Palm Bay, Florida
Santino Brasi Offline
The Don's Official Sooth Sayer
Santino Brasi  Offline
The Don's Official Sooth Sayer
Underboss
Palm Bay, Florida
Well, in the novel, when Vito got back from the Hospital, at 3:00 am, he told Tom he was now officially Consiglere, so in the movie, right after Vito got back from the hospital in that deleted scene

He - (Simón Bolívar) - was shaken by the overwhelming revelation that the headlong race between his misfortunes and his dreams was at that moment reaching the finishing line. The rest was darkness. "Damn it," He sighed. "How will I ever get out of this labyrinth!"

So what’s the labyrinth?

That’s the mystery isn’t it? Is the labyrinth living or dying? Which is he trying to escape - the world, or, the end of it?
Re: Tom as consigliere [Re: FrankWhite] #510577
09/20/08 10:29 AM
09/20/08 10:29 AM
H
hugeguy Offline
Associate
hugeguy  Offline
H
Associate

Tom is made consigliere for a very definite reason. Vito knows that the other families will need his cosigliere if there is a conspiracy made to get him. He also knows that the other families will not trust anyone who is not Sicilian. In the book Tom ask Michael and I am paraphrasing here, " Do you know how they will come after you?" Mike says' "Some one close. Either Clememza or Tessio or Carlo." Tom says "What about me?"
Mike:"You're Irish" Tom: I'm half Irish. Michael: To Them that's Irish.

Barzini approaches Carlo and Sal is Sicilian. The closest people to Mike after the Don's death are Sal and Clememza. Here is another ? Why does Vito bring Sonny into the family business?? There is a definite reason and not one you may think.

Re: Tom as consigliere [Re: hugeguy] #510602
09/20/08 12:09 PM
09/20/08 12:09 PM
Toronto, Ontario
D
dontommasino Offline
Underboss
dontommasino  Offline
D
Underboss
Toronto, Ontario
[quote=hugeguy]Tom is made consigliere for a very definite reason. Vito knows that the other families will need his cosigliere if there is a conspiracy made to get him. He also knows that the other families will not trust anyone who is not Sicilian. In the book Tom ask Michael and I am paraphrasing here, " Do you know how they will come after you?" Mike says' "Some one close. Either Clememza or Tessio or Carlo." Tom says "What about me?"
Mike:"You're Irish" Tom: I'm half Irish. Michael: To Them that's Irish.

Barzini approaches Carlo and Sal is Sicilian. The closest people to Mike after the Don's death are Sal and Clememza. Here is another ? Why does Vito bring Sonny into the family business?? There is a definite reason and not one you may think./quote]

Then enlighten us.

Re: Tom as consigliere [Re: dontommasino] #510650
09/20/08 03:17 PM
09/20/08 03:17 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
That's the second time you've referred to some nonobvious reason about Sonny, Hugeguy. As a courtesy to us, how about your answer?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull