GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
2 registered members (RushStreet, ChiTown), 240 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,467
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 23,886
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,512
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,326
Posts1,058,643
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Would you have let Carlo lived? #503218
08/07/08 12:40 AM
08/07/08 12:40 AM
GoldMineTrash Offline OP
Wiseguy
GoldMineTrash  Offline OP
Wiseguy
If you were Michael, would you?

Just wanna know what everyone here thinks. smile

Re: Would you have let Carlo lived? [Re: GoldMineTrash] #503224
08/07/08 12:50 AM
08/07/08 12:50 AM
Palm Bay, Florida
Santino Brasi Offline
The Don's Official Sooth Sayer
Santino Brasi  Offline
Underboss
Palm Bay, Florida
No panic

He - (Simón Bolívar) - was shaken by the overwhelming revelation that the headlong race between his misfortunes and his dreams was at that moment reaching the finishing line. The rest was darkness. "Damn it," He sighed. "How will I ever get out of this labyrinth!"

So what’s the labyrinth?

That’s the mystery isn’t it? Is the labyrinth living or dying? Which is he trying to escape - the world, or, the end of it?
Re: Would you have let Carlo lived? [Re: Santino Brasi] #503237
08/07/08 02:18 AM
08/07/08 02:18 AM
GoldMineTrash Offline OP
Wiseguy
Wiseguy
I'd say 'No' as well. But if you think about Connie's position, you might hesitate a little because after all, you wouldn't want to make your sister a widow, like Sonny said. tongue I really have sympathy for Connie.

Re: Would you have let Carlo lived? [Re: GoldMineTrash] #503238
08/07/08 02:28 AM
08/07/08 02:28 AM
Palm Bay, Florida
Santino Brasi Offline
Santino Brasi  Offline
Underboss
Palm Bay, Florida
But wasn't she a spoiled Guinea Brat?

He - (Simón Bolívar) - was shaken by the overwhelming revelation that the headlong race between his misfortunes and his dreams was at that moment reaching the finishing line. The rest was darkness. "Damn it," He sighed. "How will I ever get out of this labyrinth!"

So what’s the labyrinth?

That’s the mystery isn’t it? Is the labyrinth living or dying? Which is he trying to escape - the world, or, the end of it?
Re: Would you have let Carlo lived? [Re: Santino Brasi] #503241
08/07/08 06:05 AM
08/07/08 06:05 AM
Berlin, Germany
Danito Offline
Underboss
Danito  Offline
Underboss
Berlin, Germany
???
I never understand these kind of threads about "Would you kill this or that guy.
Must be an American thing. confused

Re: Would you have let Carlo lived? [Re: Danito] #503246
08/07/08 07:32 AM
08/07/08 07:32 AM
GoldMineTrash Offline OP
Wiseguy
Wiseguy
Originally Posted By: Danito
???
I never understand these kind of threads about "Would you kill this or that guy.
Must be an American thing. confused

Generalization isn't fair, Danito. I just want to know what people here think of Carlo's fate. Maybe someone disagrees with Michael's decision to kill him, and I'd like to know why.

Last edited by GoldMineTrash; 08/07/08 07:32 AM.
Re: Would you have let Carlo lived? [Re: GoldMineTrash] #503249
08/07/08 08:10 AM
08/07/08 08:10 AM
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Don Jasani Offline
Underboss
Don Jasani  Offline
Underboss
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
There's no way I would have let Carlo live. In a hypothetical setting if I had Michael Corleone's power, it would simply be an impossibility to let the man responsible for my brother's death escape swift and brutal retribution, regardless of him being my sister's husband. In addition to this, letting Carlo live would pose a direct threat to the family based on his treachery and his disrespect for the Corleones.

Re: Would you have let Carlo lived? [Re: Danito] #503253
08/07/08 09:08 AM
08/07/08 09:08 AM
With Geary in Fredo's Brothel
dontomasso Offline
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline
Consigliere to the Stars

[quote=Danito
Must be an American thing. confused [/quote]

Actually it's a "sissssssilian thing."

The only thing wrong with Michael's killing Carlo is that Carlo should have suffered more.

"Io sono stanco, sono imbigliato, and I wan't everyone here to know, there ain't gonna be no trouble from me..Don Corleone..Cicc' a port!"

"I stood in the courtroom like a fool."

"I am Constanza: Lord of the idiots."

Re: Would you have let Carlo lived? [Re: dontomasso] #503263
08/07/08 09:40 AM
08/07/08 09:40 AM
Berlin, Germany
Danito Offline
Underboss
Danito  Offline
Underboss
Berlin, Germany
Originally Posted By: dontomasso
Actually it's a "sissssssilian thing."
The only thing wrong with Michael's killing Carlo is that Carlo should have suffered more.

Hm, the question in this thread is "Would you have let Carlo lived?" which equals: "Would you mind being a killer?"

It's one thing to talk about a drama, a book or a film. It's another thing to suggest that killing is a legitimate solution to problems.

Re: Would you have let Carlo lived? [Re: Danito] #503271
08/07/08 10:14 AM
08/07/08 10:14 AM
dontomasso Offline
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline
Consigliere to the Stars

Well, not being a mafioso, I don't think I would kill anyone, I thought the "you" was rhetorical.

"Io sono stanco, sono imbigliato, and I wan't everyone here to know, there ain't gonna be no trouble from me..Don Corleone..Cicc' a port!"

"I stood in the courtroom like a fool."

"I am Constanza: Lord of the idiots."

Re: Would you have let Carlo lived? [Re: dontomasso] #503277
08/07/08 11:15 AM
08/07/08 11:15 AM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
Murder is murder. Other than demonstrable self-defense, murder is a function of avarice. Since Mafiosi allow their avarice free reign, it's not surprising that they murder at will, even rationalize it. It's the lack of that state of mind the precludes most of us from murdering. So, yes, I would have let Carlo live.

Last edited by olivant; 08/07/08 11:16 AM.

"Generosity. That was my first mistake."
"Experience must be our only guide; reason may mislead us."
"Instagram is Twitter for people who can't read."
Re: Would you have let Carlo lived? [Re: olivant] #503314
08/07/08 12:26 PM
08/07/08 12:26 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
Since Michael chose to be Don, he had to kill Carlo. Even if he forgave Carlo's treachery personally, it would have shown him to have a "weak spot" that his foes would have exploited. And, as Tom explained to Kay (in the novel), "...treachery can never be forgiven...they [Tessio and Carlo] would have been a danger to all of us, all of our lives."

As Roth said, "This is the business we've chosen." Murder comes with the territory.

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.
Re: Would you have let Carlo lived? [Re: Turnbull] #503334
08/07/08 01:52 PM
08/07/08 01:52 PM
New York
TahoeShooter Offline
Button
TahoeShooter  Offline
Button
New York
Originally Posted By: GoldMineTrash
But if you think about Connie's position, you might hesitate a little

Hesitate but still have to take him out. Agreed.

Originally Posted By: Don Jasani
There's no way I would have let Carlo live. In a hypothetical setting if I had Michael Corleone's power, it would simply be an impossibility to let the man responsible for my brother's death escape swift and brutal retribution, regardless of him being my sister's husband. In addition to this, letting Carlo live would pose a direct threat to the family based on his treachery and his disrespect for the Corleones.

Absolutely.

Originally Posted By: Turnbull
Since Michael chose to be Don, he had to kill Carlo. Even if he forgave Carlo's treachery personally, it would have shown him to have a "weak spot" that his foes would have exploited. And, as Tom explained to Kay (in the novel), "...treachery can never be forgiven...they [Tessio and Carlo] would have been a danger to all of us, all of our lives."

As Roth said, "This is the business we've chosen." Murder comes with the territory.

Yep. Just like Fredo.
It doesnt matter who you are. You are gone.

Re: Would you have let Carlo lived? [Re: TahoeShooter] #503376
08/07/08 09:32 PM
08/07/08 09:32 PM
New Jersey
AppleOnYa Offline
AppleOnYa  Offline

New Jersey
Let's see.

If I were "Michael", and Carlo, while married to my sister, set up my brother to be gunned down by an enemy, after which he continued for years to live off my family and would've gone on doing so and may have even fingered others down the line had his betrayal never been discovered....

Then no, I would not have let Carlo live. I would have had no problem standing Godfather to his newborn son while all the while planning his execution. The feelings of my sister Connie, much as I love her, would play absolutely no role in the murder of this weasel of a scumbag she married.

And for the record, 'if' I were "Michael"...I would not have let Fredo live, either.

Apple

A wise and frugal government, which shall leave men free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned - this is the sum of good government.

- THOMAS JEFFERSON

Re: Would you have let Carlo lived? [Re: AppleOnYa] #503388
08/07/08 11:34 PM
08/07/08 11:34 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
Originally Posted By: AppleOnYa
Let's see.

If I were "Michael", and Carlo, while married to my sister, set up my brother to be gunned down by an enemy, after which he continued for years to live off my family and would've gone on doing so and may have even fingered others down the line had his betrayal never been discovered....

Then no, I would not have let Carlo live. I would have had no problem standing Godfather to his newborn son while all the while planning his execution. The feelings of my sister Connie, much as I love her, would play absolutely no role in the murder of this weasel of a scumbag she married.

And for the record, 'if' I were "Michael"...I would not have let Fredo live, either.

Apple

God! After that, can any of we Board members feel safe?

I love you Apple. I was only kiddin' before. Your posts are the best. I was on your side from the beginning. You believe me, don't you? Please don't hurt me.

Re: Would you have let Carlo lived? [Re: olivant] #503393
08/07/08 11:56 PM
08/07/08 11:56 PM
I
Ice Offline
Underboss
Ice  Offline
I
Underboss
If the beating of my father's sister by her husband did NOT result in his certain death at the hands of my father, then surely, his framing the murder of my father's older brother would do the trick.

(But that's not me, of course. I'm in concurrence with W.A Mozart's Queen of the Night: 'Rejected, be forever, all the bonds of kin and blood.')

Re: Would you have let Carlo lived? [Re: GoldMineTrash] #503400
08/08/08 04:16 AM
08/08/08 04:16 AM
DivaLasVegas82 Offline
Button
DivaLasVegas82  Offline
Button
I think Michael did the right thing. Well, it wasn't right in a moral or legal sense, but the Corleones were a mob family, so murder came with the terrioty. I think Michael had every right to avenge Sonny's death. I never got why Connie got so upset at Michael for having Carlo killed. Carlo was a lazy, philandering, abusive bum who only married Connie to gain position in the Corleone family. Not only that, but Carlo set up the hit on her oldest brother who died trying to protect Connie from Carlo. Given the way Carlo treated her and his role in Sonny's death, Connie should have been happy that he was gone. I mean what was Carlo doing for her? He was a sorry excuse for a husband and man.

I personally would've liked it better if Coppola & Puzo had stuck to the original story in the book where Connie's intial reaction to Carlo's death was one of shock and anger, but that she forgave Michael soon after. But then I guess if it was written that way in the movie, there would not have been an explanation for Connie's coldness and self-destructive behavior in Part 2. Like she told Michael when she begged him to forgive Fredo, "I did things to hurt myself so that you would know I could hurt you."

Re: Would you have let Carlo lived? [Re: AppleOnYa] #503524
08/09/08 06:34 AM
08/09/08 06:34 AM
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Don Jasani Offline
Underboss
Don Jasani  Offline
Underboss
Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Just thought it bears mentioning again.

Originally Posted By: AppleOnYa
Apple

I understand that Michael is a mob boss and that his brother, a person who is someone he should be able to trust with his life, betrayed him. In a situation where Michael felt that Fredo was a direct threat to him and a direct threat to the Corleones, killing him need not be the only solution. A permanant exile, or even forgiveness could have been other options. Although this would run contrary to the utterly ruthless nature of Michael and in order for the viewer to feel this intense ruthlessness Fredo had to be killed. I believe that Mario Puzo and F.F. Coppola were divided on this issue and Coppola won out.

On a personal level I couldn't fathom any circumstance of killing my own brother, ever.

Re: Would you have let Carlo lived? [Re: Don Jasani] #503559
08/09/08 09:51 AM
08/09/08 09:51 AM
Gateshead, UK
Capo de La Cosa Nostra Offline
Capo de La Cosa Nostra  Offline

Gateshead, UK
Generalization isn't fair, Danito.
Aren't you generalising, there? tongue

If I was Michael, then the question eradicates itself.

If I were me, and in Michael's position: yes, I'd let him live. But my philosophy differs to Corleone's. I genuinely believe humanity can shine through leadership.

...dot com bold typeface rhetoric.
You go clickety click and get your head split.
'The hell you look like on a message board
Discussing whether or not the Brother is hardcore?
Re: Would you have let Carlo lived? [Re: olivant] #503607
08/09/08 12:34 PM
08/09/08 12:34 PM
New Jersey
AppleOnYa Offline
AppleOnYa  Offline

New Jersey
Originally Posted By: olivant
... can any of we Board members feel safe?

I love you Apple. I was only kiddin' before. Your posts are the best. I was on your side from the beginning. You believe me, don't you? Please don't hurt me.

Anybody who tailgates my posts the way you do can NEVER be in danger, olivant!!! As one of many puppies I've known on the bb you're safe, believe me.

See you in the next topic!!

Apple

A wise and frugal government, which shall leave men free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned - this is the sum of good government.

- THOMAS JEFFERSON

Re: Would you have let Carlo lived? [Re: GoldMineTrash] #503613
08/09/08 12:39 PM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club
If you were Michael, would you?

Just wanna know what everyone here thinks. smile

If I were Michael and / or were a man of his stature living in his kind of world, than the answer is no, I COULD NOT let a man like Carlo live.

Don Cardi cool

Five - ten years from now, they're gonna wish there was American Cosa Nostra. Five - ten years from now, they're gonna miss John Gotti.

Re: Would you have let Carlo lived? [Re: Don Cardi] #503614
Palm Bay, Florida
Santino Brasi Offline
Santino Brasi  Offline
Underboss
Palm Bay, Florida
DC! I haven't seen you in a fortnight

So what’s the labyrinth?

Re: Would you have let Carlo lived? [Re: Santino Brasi] #503624
08/09/08 01:28 PM
08/09/08 01:28 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
I think the key here is "if I were Michael." Yes, being Michael with his genetics, disposition, experiences, heart and soul, emotions, intelligence, motivations, and goals and objectives, I would kill Carlo.

Re: Would you have let Carlo lived? [Re: olivant] #503629
08/09/08 01:35 PM
08/09/08 01:35 PM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
My father always answers rhetorical questions just like that, Olivant. If you ask him, "What would you do if you were in my shoes," his answer is ALWAYS, "What would I do in your shoes, or what would I do if I were you in your shoes?"

Not because he's my father, but I happen to agree with his thinking. It's two totally different scenarios.

Oh, if I were Michael, Carlo would be DEAD, DEAD, DEAD.

"I got news for you. If it wasn't for the toilet, there would be no books." --- George Costanza.
Re: Would you have let Carlo lived? [Re: Don Jasani] #503642
08/09/08 02:50 PM
08/09/08 02:50 PM
New York
TahoeShooter Offline
Button
TahoeShooter  Offline
Button
New York
On a personal level I couldn't fathom any circumstance of killing my own brother, ever.

Of course no one wants to think about having to make a decision like that. But if you cross that scenario in the real world and like Fredo, your brother tries to have you killed once(drapes), maybe twice(Fredo maybe telling Roth that he wont live to see the new year). Do you really let him stick around for more attempts? He may succeed!

"This is life and death"

Re: Would you have let Carlo lived? [Re: TahoeShooter] #503650
08/09/08 05:10 PM
08/09/08 05:10 PM
Texas
Lucchese Offline
.90 Caliber
Lucchese  Offline
.90 Caliber
Made Member
Texas
Carlo absolutely had to go, no question. Blood is thicker than water.

"The only wealth in this world is children. More than all the money and power on Earth." --Michael Corleone
Re: Would you have let Carlo lived? [Re: TahoeShooter] #503665
08/09/08 07:42 PM
08/09/08 07:42 PM
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Don Jasani Offline
Underboss
Don Jasani  Offline
Underboss
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted By: TahoeShooter

Of course no one wants to think about having to make a decision like that. But if you cross that scenario in the real world and like Fredo, your brother tries to have you killed once(drapes), maybe twice(Fredo maybe telling Roth that he wont live to see the new year). Do you really let him stick around for more attempts? He may succeed!

"This is life and death"

You know I was gonna come up with a long and complicated answer for this but really the only thing I can say is thank God I don't live in Michael Corleone's world.

Re: Would you have let Carlo lived? [Re: Don Jasani] #503685
08/09/08 10:47 PM
08/09/08 10:47 PM
No. Virginia
mustachepete Offline
Special
mustachepete  Offline
Special
Underboss
No. Virginia
I think that one of the differences between Vito and Michael is that Vito would have considered Fredo's betrayal a result of Vito's own carelessness, so that his response would have been to lock Fredo in the cellar or something.

I guess the next question down this line is what Michael would do if one of his children had taken sides against the Family?

"All of these men were good listeners; patient men."
Re: Would you have let Carlo lived? [Re: Santino Brasi] #503740
08/10/08 01:19 PM
08/10/08 01:19 PM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club
Originally Posted By: Santino_Brasi
DC! I haven't seen you in a fortnight

Santino Brasi : "Has anyone been able to get in touch with Cardi?"

Pizzaboy : "Eh, I've been trying all night. He might be shacked up."

Don Cardi cool

Five - ten years from now, they're gonna wish there was American Cosa Nostra. Five - ten years from now, they're gonna miss John Gotti.

Re: Would you have let Carlo lived? [Re: Don Cardi] #503784
08/10/08 05:35 PM
08/10/08 05:35 PM
OH, VA, KY
Mignon Offline
Mama Mig
Mignon  Offline
Mama Mig

OH, VA, KY
He'd have to die. Who know's who he would go after in the family next.

But like someone mentioned I'd make him suffer so much he'd want to die.

Dylan Matthew Moran born 10/30/12

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull