GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (1 invisible), 250 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,461
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 23,881
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,512
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,322
Posts1,058,580
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
AMC's "Mad Men" - Season 2 #501989
07/27/08 05:42 PM
07/27/08 05:42 PM
I
Ice Offline OP
Underboss
Ice  Offline OP
I
Underboss
SEASON 2 STARTS TONIGHT!!!

Set in New York City, Mad Men takes place in the 1960s at the fictional Sterling Cooper advertising agency on New York City's Madison Avenue and centers on Don Draper, a high-level advertising executive, and the people in his life in and out of the office. It also depicts the changing social mores of 1960s America.

Mad Men has received considerable critical acclaim and won two awards at the 2007 Golden Globes, for Best Television Series—Drama, and Best Actor in a Television Series—Drama for Jon Hamm. The show will have a third season airing sometime in 2009.

Mad Men depicts the society and culture of the early 1960s, highlighting cigarette smoking, drinking (alcoholic beverages), sexism, and racial bias as examples of how that era, not so long ago, was so radically different from the present.[4][5] Smoking, more common in 1960 than it is now, is featured throughout the series; almost every character can be seen smoking multiple times in the course of one episode.[4] In the pilot, representatives of Lucky Strike cigarettes come to Sterling Cooper looking for a new advertising campaign in the wake of a Reader's Digest report that smoking will lead to various health issues including lung cancer.[6] The show presents a culture where men who are engaged or married freely partake in sexual relationships with other women. The series also observes advertising as a corporate outlet for creativity for mainstream, middle-class, young, white men. The main character, Don Draper, observes at one point about Sterling-Cooper, "This place has more failed artists and intellectuals than the Third Reich."[7] Along with each of these examples, however, there are hints of the future and the radical changes of the later 1960s; Betty's anxiety, the Beats Draper discovers through Midge, even talk about how smoking is bad for health (usually dismissed or ignored). Characters also see stirrings of change in the ad industry itself, with the Volkswagen Beetle's "Think Small" ad campaign mentioned and dismissed by many at Sterling Cooper.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mad_Men

Even if you haven't seen much of the show it's pretty easy to dive into. I actually haven't seen all of the episodes myself, but I have a pretty good idea as to the basic premise.

The characters, like many ppl in America at the time, are aboard a sinking ship of sorts; it's the early sixties (preceding the hippie movement) with the threat of Nuclear War constantly looming. The employees at Sterling Cooper are representing the Tobacco companies as well as the Nixon vs. Kennedy campaign (something that seemed like a sure bet early on), and of course you have the infidelity, alcoholism and chain smoking. Occasionally mixed in with the dialogue is a "smoker's-cough," foreshadowing their almost certain death to lung cancer.

Don Draper, the show's protagonist, is one of television's all-time greatest characters, IMO. the head of the creative team at Sterling Cooper, Don is in charge of leading his the company into the changing times of the 60's. He's a Korean War veteran, whom we find out at the end of season 1 was actually responsible for an officer's death due to his negligence. That officer's name...was Don Draper. "Dick," switched identification tags with Draper and assumed his name, cutting off contact with his family and creating a new life for himself. He received the Purple Heart and this gross mis-justice of his pal's death is something that haunts "Don". One of the weaselly up and comers in the firm discovers Don's true identity and tries to use it to extort him.

Don is a mystery man, by intent. He struggles with infidelity like most of the men in the office, but unlike some of the others he certainly has a conscious about it, and is in fact quite in love with one of his mistresses. More than once he's confided to her about his feeling of emptiness and his woeful pessimism about the world that surrounds him, and even considered running away with her during the time of his extortion. He's the one character who knows "the ship" is sinking, and we hope he'll get off in time.

His wife Betty is one of my favorite character developments on the show, but I don't see any way they'll reconcile their marriage. Don is always "working," even on holidays, as is the "custom" of many working men during this time period; send the wife and kids on vacation and stay and "work" on your mistress. Betty is a typical naive trophy-wife, the all-american "suzy-homemaker" spawned from the 50's and is unaware of the true machinations of the world, but eventually realizes Don is in fact cheating on her, and begins to have a very Tony Soprano like epiphany in life. One of the stranger scenes from a show full of them was in the season 1 finale, when Betty sees Glen--an 11 yr old neighbor who she'd baby-sat as a favor--in the passenger seat alone outside a grocery store. Glen is a strange kid, and had once asked Betty for a lock of her hair to which Betty eventually obliged him, much to the chagrin of his mother. Betty and Glen had a very close (albeit strange) connection. Glen's mom confronted Betty in public about the hair incident and Betty proceeded to slap the shit out of her. lol Thus when Betty tries to speak to Glen outside a Grocery store he tells her that he's not supposed to talk to her. Betty tells him she's "so sad" and that he's the only one she can confide in, and asks him what's going to happen to her. The two clasp hands as Betty breaks into tears...and this was really the pinnacle scene of the show that blew me away, never seen anything quite like it. The actor playing Glen is actually the son of show creater, Matt Weiner.

Don is the head of the creative team, but often seeks the help of Peggy, his secretary. In the final episode of season 1, Don, on a whim of sorts, promotes her to junior copy editor. I haven't seen everything, but in the last episode the newly anointed junior copy editor goes to the doctor the day of her promotion due to stomach pains, discovering that she's about to give birth. Apparently she had been in self denial the entire time, and will naturally have to give up the baby b/c a single woman with a child in the workplace at this time in America is quite taboo, of course. We assume the baby belongs to the same douche-bag (who is married) that tried to extort Don. Things will get VERY interesting this season... =/

So, that's where season 2 begins tonight at 9 p.m Est. I haven't completed season 1 so feel free to correct my mistakes...

Re: AMC's "Mad Men" - Season 2 [Re: Ice] #501999
07/27/08 06:13 PM
07/27/08 06:13 PM
The BING
Sopranorleone Offline
Capo
Sopranorleone  Offline
Capo
The BING
I actually believe that season 2 begins at 10 PM EST tonight. Jerry Maguire is on AMC from 7 - 10.
But I cannot wait for this season either. It's the best drama out there now that the Sopranos ended.

Re: AMC's "Mad Men" - Season 2 [Re: Ice] #502008
07/27/08 08:41 PM
07/27/08 08:41 PM
I
Ice Offline OP
Underboss
Ice  Offline OP
I
Underboss
Originally Posted By: Ice
One of the stranger scenes from a show full of them was in the season 1 finale, when Betty sees Glen--an 11 yr old neighbor who she'd baby-sat as a favor--in the passenger seat alone outside a grocery store. Glen is a strange kid, and had once asked Betty for a lock of her hair to which Betty eventually obliged him, much to the chagrin of his mother. Betty and Glen had a very close (albeit strange) connection. Glen's mom confronted Betty in public about the hair incident and Betty proceeded to slap the shit out of her. lol Thus when Betty tries to speak to Glen outside a Grocery store he tells her that he's not supposed to talk to her. Betty tells him she's "so sad" and that he's the only one she can confide in, and asks him what's going to happen to her. The two clasp hands as Betty breaks into tears...and this was really the pinnacle scene of the show that blew me away, never seen anything quite like it. The actor playing Glen is actually the son of show creater, Matt Weiner.

Sweeet, bless youtube:
MAD MEN - "I wish I was older" 1.13
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7ov7STa_Ik

Re: AMC's "Mad Men" - Season 2 [Re: Ice] #502728
08/03/08 08:14 PM
08/03/08 08:14 PM
I
Ice Offline OP
Underboss
Ice  Offline OP
I
Underboss
I especially enjoy studying all of the cognitive and psychological processes involved in advertising/marketing through this show and Don Draper. He's a brilliantly written character.

In episode 1 of season 2 the firm decides to go younger and so Don has to interview a bunch of 60's newbs, including a beatnik type gay couple, acting as a 'corporation' who comes as a package deal of sorts. The two are not actually married (of course) so their corporate status represents their legal right to be together - very fascinating stuff.

Oh, and the office got their first Xerox copy machine, which produced a rather humorous scene in which everyone naturally wants to xerox their faces, butts, etc. The historical setting of this show in the early 60's is the most fascinating time in America's history.

Episode 2 tonight. Still waiting to see when/if they address Peggy's baby, which really wasn't touched on at all during the first episode. I'm not sure if the audience even knows for sure what she did with the child, I think we're just left to assume she gave it up.

Re: AMC's "Mad Men" - Season 2 [Re: Ice] #502774
08/04/08 08:23 AM
08/04/08 08:23 AM
California
The Italian Stallionette Offline
The Italian Stallionette  Offline

California
How funny that you start this thread Ice. Per a co-worker's suggestion, I just started watching this show via "on demand". I have 3 more episodes in season one to watch.

I do enjoy the show and although they are in the early to mid sixties (a little before I joined the work force), I can remember many things shown relating to the times (i.e. the JFK campaign ads). smile

Very interesting (and different) show IMHO. I like it.

TIS

"Mankind must put an end to war before war puts an end to mankind. War will exist until that distant day when the conscientious objector enjoys the same reputation and prestige that the warrior does today." JFK

"War is over, if you want it" - John Lennon

Re: AMC's "Mad Men" - Season 2 [Re: The Italian Stallionette] #502779
08/04/08 10:16 AM
08/04/08 10:16 AM
I
Ice Offline OP
Underboss
Ice  Offline OP
I
Underboss
That's great, TIS. I'll take it easy on the spoilers until you catch up. But we did discover more about Peggy's character last night. Her development is the most fascinating, IMO. She has a psychological barrier of sorts, one that keeps her from displaying her true personality and emotions. But we don't really know what it is or what it stems from. IMO she's quite representative of a young working woman of those times, one who's trying to break free of the barriers enforced by social norms of the time. We haven't seen the true Peggy yet.

Re: AMC's "Mad Men" - Season 2 [Re: Ice] #503084
08/06/08 09:22 AM
08/06/08 09:22 AM
California

California
Ok, I finished watching all the episodes so far. I do like this show. It's different. What's with the little kid that walked in on Betty (I think that's her name) in the bathroom???? eek How weird. I don't know where that storyline is going. Also, everybody and their brother smokes, and they smoke everywhere. lol Even the doctor had a cigaret in his mouth, while examining a patient remember?? lol

I can't remember the characters by name, but the main character....they finally expalined how he got to be who he is (to an extent). I was wondering when his brother showed up, what was going on. The flashbacks little by little spelled it out.

Anyway, gotta go to work. Talk later

TIS

"Mankind must put an end to war before war puts an end to mankind. War will exist until that distant day when the conscientious objector enjoys the same reputation and prestige that the warrior does today." JFK

Re: AMC's "Mad Men" - Season 2 [Re: The Italian Stallionette] #503088
08/06/08 09:43 AM
08/06/08 09:43 AM
The BING
Sopranorleone Offline
Capo
Sopranorleone  Offline
Capo
The BING
Originally Posted By: The Italian Stallionette
Ok, I finished watching all the episodes so far. I do like this show. It's different. What's with the little kid that walked in on Betty (I think that's her name) in the bathroom???? eek How weird. I don't know where that storyline is going.

TIS

The actor who plays that kid is in real-life Matthew Weiner's son (the show's creater and former writer for the Sopranos).

Re: AMC's "Mad Men" - Season 2 [Re: Sopranorleone] #551982
08/16/09 04:35 PM
08/16/09 04:35 PM
I
Ice Offline OP
Underboss
Ice  Offline OP
I
Underboss
SEASON 3 STARTS TONIGHT!1!

Note to moderators -- Can you please change the title of the thread to read simply Mad Men, or AMC's Mad Men?

Re: AMC's "Mad Men" - Season 2 [Re: Ice] #551985
08/16/09 04:52 PM
08/16/09 04:52 PM
California

California
Ice, you da man!!! wink You've probably read the Random thread. I've been trying to find a link to this. I'm so inept. rolleyes

I am looking forward to seeing it too. I only wish I had recently watched the last season. It seems like forever. I'll read through here and refresh my memory.

Thanks!!! smile

TIS

Btw, Ice, aren't you the originator of this thread? If so, you can change the title no?

Last edited by The Italian Stallionette; 08/16/09 04:53 PM.

Re: AMC's "Mad Men" - Season 2 [Re: The Italian Stallionette] #552054
08/17/09 12:53 PM
08/17/09 12:53 PM
California

California
Gosh it seem like a very long time since I've seen this show.

I did tune in last night. I still only know the main characters' names. Anyway, it did refresh my memory somewhat. Not a bad opener, but not excellent either.

Although, I must admit, unless I was dozing off somewhere during last night's episode, I didn't see what transpired before the smoke alarm went off, coming at all. eek

TIS

Re: AMC's "Mad Men" - Season 2 [Re: The Italian Stallionette] #552144
08/17/09 11:39 PM
08/17/09 11:39 PM
The BING
Sopranorleone Offline
Capo
Sopranorleone  Offline
Capo
The BING
Sadly, TIS, the show can be predictable because the writers and directors of the Sopranos are now almost all working on Mad Men. See below for the economics of predictability.

Click to reveal..
Just like Vito getting caught giving the secutiry guard a BJ, Sal gets caught as well. They give a plaque about authority to Pete Campbell, just like how Tony Blundetto got a plaque saying "cuz I'm the boss, that's why!" In season 2, nearly every major storyline (with the major exception being Don's California excursion) could be predicted just by being an avid fan of The Sopranos. Don't get me wrong, Mad Men is a fine show (better than most others on TV); I just don't believe it deserves as much credit as it's been getting.

Re: AMC's "Mad Men" - Season 2 [Re: Sopranorleone] #552222
08/18/09 04:18 PM
08/18/09 04:18 PM
California

California
Well the scene I refer to did surprise me.

Btw, I do like this show, but I liked the Sopranos much more, but still am getting use to the characters. Actually, the seasons seem so short, and far between, I think it'll take at least this season to get to know or like/dislike the characters. Know what I mean? Still a good show. smile

TIS

Btw, would it be possible for the mods to take off "Season 2" from this thread (we're on season 3), and just don't put a season?

Last edited by The Italian Stallionette; 08/18/09 04:19 PM.

Re: AMC's "Mad Men" - Season 2 [Re: The Italian Stallionette] #558638
10/25/09 10:42 PM
10/25/09 10:42 PM
I
Ice Offline OP
Underboss
Ice  Offline OP
I
Underboss
HUGE and pivotal episode in the series tonight:

Click to reveal..
Betty discovers her husband "Don's" true identity in the previous episode, and tonight she confronts him with it! eek
"Don" informs her that his real name is Dick, and that he switched identification tags with fallen comrade Don Draper in the Korean war, assuming his name, cutting off contact with his family and creating a new life for himself, and then 'divorcing' "Don's" wife before marrying Betty. "Dick's" mother was a prostitute who died (while giving birth to him), as did the rest of his 'family'.

Re: AMC's "Mad Men" - Season 2 [Re: Ice] #558639
10/25/09 10:55 PM
10/25/09 10:55 PM
California

California
Ice,

It hasn't aired yet here in Cali, but thanks for the heads up. Something huge hu?????? Hmmmm I look forward to watching. smile

I didn't check your spoiler cause I wanna be surprised.

TIS

Re: AMC's "Mad Men" - Season 2 [Re: The Italian Stallionette] #558640
10/25/09 11:03 PM
10/25/09 11:03 PM
I
Ice Offline OP
Underboss
Ice  Offline OP
I
Underboss
Hey, TIS!

Well, if you saw last week's episode you should have some idea of what's transpiring, but yes, it's HUGE!

The series continues to blow me away, and tonight's episode is very heartbreaking.

Re: AMC's "Mad Men" - Season 2 [Re: Ice] #558651
10/26/09 11:40 AM
10/26/09 11:40 AM
California

California
You're right Ice. We should have seen it coming, yet for some reason I didn't expect it, at least not yet.

Did I hear correctly that there are only 2 more episodes left this season? uhwhat Such a short season with this show.

TIS

Re: AMC's "Mad Men" - Season 2 [Re: The Italian Stallionette] #559865
11/10/09 08:43 PM
11/10/09 08:43 PM
I
Ice Offline OP
Underboss
Ice  Offline OP
I
Underboss
POSSIBLE SEASON 3 SPOILERS:

Well, they're raving over on Capo's board about this show's 3rd season possibly ranking as one of the top 5 television seasons of all time, and it's pretty apparent that this show has done something really special. The audience has been waiting for the Kennedy assassination for about the past year. It kept drawing closer and closer, but producers gave no indication of when it would occur. We didn't know when it would happen, only that when it did, the show's narrative, along with the country at the time, would likely be affected greatly.

I won't give away that event for those who haven't seen it, but as for the season 3 finale, it definitely marked a complete 180 turn in the show's narrative, and we can only assume that season 4 will have an entirely new set and markedly reduced cast when next year's show begins. Since the audience will see the previews for season 4 and have an idea of how things have changed drastically, I won't worry about spoiling the ending of 3:

Don learns from Conrad Hilton that Sterling Cooper is to be sold yet once again, and because of this pending corporatization, former owners Roger Sterling and Burt Cooper, along with lead protagonist Don Draper, orchestrate their own terminations from the company in order to detach themselves and form the new firm of "Sterling Cooper, Draper and Price". The 'corporate-cout' does not preclude the existence of "Sterling Cooper", haha, but I assume they'd change their name. The three protagonists of the 'conspiracy' (with the assistance of British corporate liason, "Price") decide to take with them Peggy, Pete Campbell (who, last season, appeared to be the nefarious villian pitted against Don), and two other staff members who are crucial to the new firm's birth. Time was of the essence with the move, which included the 'acquisition' of certain production and art materials pertinent to their accounts, all occurring over the weekend during the middle of the night.

Because Roger Sterling still had 1 year on his contract with 'Sterling-Cooper,' combined with Draper's 3, in order to take Sterling's 24 million dollar American Tobacco account elsewhere, the three decide to arrange their dismissal from the firm through the efforts of soon-to-be displaced British liason, Price. It was all a great exercise in early dog-eat-dog capitalism and corporate takeover and counter takeover.

Concerning the Draper's marriage: From what I understand, the real life ad-man split from his wife (children?) and later married a member of his staff, whom he spent the rest of his life with. Thus, I think what we've seen with Betty and Don is final. The audience has had an eye on he and Peggy since the start, and his emotional plea to her to join the new firm after he and Betty's split was one of the pinnacle moments of the show, as well as their relationship. As expected, Peggy's character has experienced the most growth.

Don to Roger (on their way out): 'I never pictured myself working in a place like this'. Biggest understatement of the show
And each episode always closes with a fitting song to accompany the plot--much like David Chase did w/ The Sopranos--one that's accurate to the show's time period. This really was such a tidy little ending in spite of the mammoth movements in the story arc, etc., and this Roy Orbison number 'Shahdaroba' was the perfect way to end the season:

"When your dreams die and your heart cries, Fate knows what's best for you
Face the future and forget about the past, In the future you will find a love that lasts"

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull