GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
3 registered members (Toodoped, joepuzzles234, 1 invisible), 275 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,452
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 23,858
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,510
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,313
Posts1,058,442
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Re: THE DARK KNIGHT [Re: Don Andrew] #528431
01/14/09 01:52 AM
01/14/09 01:52 AM
B
Brwne Byte Offline
Capo
Brwne Byte  Offline
B
Capo
Originally Posted By: Don Andrew
Originally Posted By: olivant
Originally Posted By: The Iceman
Now as for some of those critics comparing this to the Godfather uhwhat mad those critics need to have their heads examined by numerous professionals.

Ditto!

Have you seen it? If you have not, you really need to shut the fuck up.

As a fan of Batman for my entire life, no material has ever delivered on the character quite like this and thus clicked on every level for me. For me, it's definitely on the level of "that" gangster picture in it's majesty and grand scale. Emotionally, it's as charged for me as "that" gangster picture and I'm putting on the level. K? That cool with you? cool rolleyes

I think it's pretty silly fighting like this over a movie. For goodness sakes, it's not that serious.

That being said, I loved the movie, and will buy it in the future. Heath Ledger was awesome. So was Christian Bale, Aaron Eckhart, etc. I too don't wanna analyze it to death. It is just a reaally good movie. (In my opinion. smile )

Re: THE DARK KNIGHT [Re: Longneck] #528441
01/14/09 10:19 AM
01/14/09 10:19 AM
Gateshead, UK
Capo de La Cosa Nostra Offline
Capo de La Cosa Nostra  Offline

Gateshead, UK
Originally Posted By: Longneck
I like the Dark Knight, because I watched it as a film and I didn't try to over analyze it for plausibility or directorial intent. Pretty silly, I know.
"As a film"? As opposed to what?

That's a meaningless truism, and about as mediocre an argument as I've heard (and I've heard it several times elsewhere, too).

Cue: brief, weak rant on how films are for entertainment purposes, and that anything that finds "deeper meaning" (whatever that means) is watching films for something that they're not supposed to offer.

To paraphrase Marx, The Dark Knight is the opium of the (uneducated) masses.

...dot com bold typeface rhetoric.
You go clickety click and get your head split.
'The hell you look like on a message board
Discussing whether or not the Brother is hardcore?
Re: THE DARK KNIGHT [Re: Brwne Byte] #528442
01/14/09 10:24 AM
01/14/09 10:24 AM
Gateshead, UK

Gateshead, UK
Originally Posted By: Brwne Byte
I too don't wanna analyze it to death. It is just a reaally good movie.
I suspect this is because the film does not - cannot - hold its own under closer scrutiny.

Question: why do people post questions and analyses over on the Godfather forum, but refuse to look at The Dark Knight in the same way?

I love how quick the Godfather comparisons for this film were killed. And how its fans say, "It's just a ('reaally good') movie", nothing more, nothing less.

Re: THE DARK KNIGHT [Re: ronnierocketAGO] #528443
01/14/09 10:28 AM
01/14/09 10:28 AM
Gateshead, UK

Gateshead, UK
Originally Posted By: ronnierocketAGO
Did you ever comment about that for BATMAN BEGINS?

I mean this complaint isn't exactly new, though there's been more TDK than BB.
I found it hilarious in Batman Begins, though not as objectionable because the overall tone of that film wasn't as insidious or pretentious as The Dark Knight.

In commercial terms (not artistic terms), it makes sense that Begins leads to Knight. First, tame, solid film: success; now let's blow them all away with pseudo-intelligence (and dead actor).

Last edited by Capo de La Cosa Nostra; 01/14/09 10:30 AM.

Re: THE DARK KNIGHT [Re: Capo de La Cosa Nostra] #528450
01/14/09 02:02 PM
01/14/09 02:02 PM
East Tennessee
R
ronnierocketAGO Offline
ronnierocketAGO  Offline
R

East Tennessee
Originally Posted By: Capo de La Cosa Nostra
I suspect this is because the film does not - cannot - hold its own under closer scrutiny.

Question: why do people post questions and analyses over on the Godfather forum, but refuse to look at The Dark Knight in the same way?

I love how quick the Godfather comparisons for this film were killed. And how its fans say, "It's just a ('reaally good') movie", nothing more, nothing less.

They died down? Says who?

If anything, TDK is more a comic book movie attempt at HEAT, or 3-4 dynamic larger-than-life people in a saga set in one giant ass city.

As for GODFATHER, well I think it was Kevin Smith who called TDK the GF2 of that genre, and I think he's got a good argument for it.

Re: THE DARK KNIGHT [Re: Capo de La Cosa Nostra] #528451
01/14/09 02:03 PM
01/14/09 02:03 PM
East Tennessee
R
ronnierocketAGO Offline
ronnierocketAGO  Offline
R

East Tennessee
Did you ever comment about that for BATMAN BEGINS?

I mean this complaint isn't exactly new, though there's been more TDK than BB.
I found it hilarious in Batman Begins, though not as objectionable because the overall tone of that film wasn't as insidious or pretentious as The Dark Knight.

In commercial terms (not artistic terms), it makes sense that Begins leads to Knight. First, tame, solid film: success; now let's blow them all away with pseudo-intelligence (and dead actor).

What the fuck is the difference between self-importance and pretentiousness, beyond mere subjectivity?

Re: THE DARK KNIGHT [Re: ronnierocketAGO] #528452
01/14/09 02:13 PM
01/14/09 02:13 PM
Gateshead, UK

Gateshead, UK
They died down? Says who?
Me. Look at this thread.

Quote:
If anything, TDK is more a comic book movie attempt at HEAT, or 3-4 dynamic larger-than-life people in a saga set in one giant ass city.
What?

Quote:
As for GODFATHER, well I think it was Kevin Smith who called TDK the GF2 of that genre, and I think he's got a good argument for it.
On what grounds, quality alone? Thematic grounds offer nothing in the way of a comparison; aesthetically, they're worlds apart. I can only assume you mean in terms of technical quality, then; I can think of many films that are technically accomplished.

Very few of my problems with The Dark Knight are on formalist grounds.

Re: THE DARK KNIGHT [Re: ronnierocketAGO] #528453
01/14/09 02:16 PM
01/14/09 02:16 PM
Gateshead, UK

Gateshead, UK
What the fuck is the difference between self-importance and pretentiousness, beyond mere subjectivity?
I don't see how this question relates to any of my own; nor how it may in any way be a defence of The Dark Knight.

Self-importance and pretentious aren't very far away from one another; I think The Dark Knight is pretentious in its self-promotion of "serious psychological drama". You can't make serious psychological drama out of the Batman character. You can't make socially relevant and politically sophisticated drama out of Gotham City, either, for that matter.

We've been through this.

Re: THE DARK KNIGHT [Re: Capo de La Cosa Nostra] #528459
01/14/09 03:33 PM
01/14/09 03:33 PM
East Tennessee
R
ronnierocketAGO Offline
ronnierocketAGO  Offline
R

East Tennessee
I don't see how this question relates to any of my own; nor how it may in any way be a defence of The Dark Knight.

In other words, you don't have an answer.

[quote=ronnierocketAGO]Self-importance and pretentious aren't very far away from one another; I think The Dark Knight is pretentious in its self-promotion of "serious psychological drama". You can't make serious psychological drama out of the Batman character. You can't make socially relevant and politically sophisticated drama out of Gotham City, either, for that matter.

We've been through this.

Why, because you said so?

Re: THE DARK KNIGHT [Re: Capo de La Cosa Nostra] #528463
01/14/09 04:40 PM
01/14/09 04:40 PM
In a van down by the river!
Longneck Offline
Longneck  Offline

I like the Dark Knight, because I watched it as a film and I didn't try to over analyze it for plausibility or directorial intent. Pretty silly, I know.
"As a film"? As opposed to what?

That's a meaningless truism, and about as mediocre an argument as I've heard (and I've heard it several times elsewhere, too).

Cue: brief, weak rant on how films are for entertainment purposes, and that anything that finds "deeper meaning" (whatever that means) is watching films for something that they're not supposed to offer.

To paraphrase Marx, The Dark Knight is the opium of the (uneducated) masses.

Oh please continue arguing on my behalf. Put any words in my mouth you see fit to help you argue against yourself.

Also, did you mean opiate of the masses?

Long as I remember The rain been coming down.
Clouds of Mystery pouring Confusion on the ground.
Good men through the ages, Trying to find the sun;
And I wonder, Still I wonder, Who'll stop the rain.

Re: THE DARK KNIGHT [Re: Capo de La Cosa Nostra] #528521
01/14/09 11:16 PM
01/14/09 11:16 PM
B
Brwne Byte Offline
Capo
Brwne Byte  Offline
B
Capo

All movies probably crack under close scrutiny. They're movies. None are perfect. And like I said, it's not that serious. rolleyes

Re: THE DARK KNIGHT [Re: Brwne Byte] #528533
01/14/09 11:39 PM
01/14/09 11:39 PM
East Tennessee
R
ronnierocketAGO Offline
ronnierocketAGO  Offline
R

East Tennessee

All movies probably crack under close scrutiny. They're movies. None are perfect. And like I said, it's not that serious. rolleyes

What you expect from the same guy who liked M:I 3 and its "vague creativity."

I mean I sorta liked that flick, but WTF does that term mean anyway?

Re: THE DARK KNIGHT [Re: Brwne Byte] #528541
01/15/09 01:38 AM
01/15/09 01:38 AM
East Bay
Blibbleblabble Offline
Poo-tee-weet?
Blibbleblabble  Offline
Poo-tee-weet?

East Bay
And like I said, it's not that serious. rolleyes

Films are serious if you're passionate about them. You took the time to draw Elvira and Tony Montana... why? You were obviously serious enough about Scarface to take the time to turn them into a drawing (art). How is that different than taking the time to discuss movies (art)?

"There's never enough time to do all the nothing you want." -Calvin and Hobbes
Re: THE DARK KNIGHT [Re: Blibbleblabble] #528544
01/15/09 02:12 AM
01/15/09 02:12 AM
East Tennessee
R
ronnierocketAGO Offline
ronnierocketAGO  Offline
R

East Tennessee
Originally Posted By: Blibbleblabble

Films are serious if you're passionate about them. You took the time to draw Elvira and Tony Montana... why? You were obviously serious enough about Scarface to take the time to turn them into a drawing (art). How is that different than taking the time to discuss movies (art)?

EXACTLY. It's only as serious as one is willing to take it.

I mean THE GODFATHER, when Brando has his great speech about why the Mob shouldn't deal narcotics. I mean even logic at the time would clearly state how silly that whole scene's idea is, because Mob will do anything for good money, and don't have any sort of ethics.

BUT, we loved that character, loved that movie, loved that mythic universe within it, we take Brando's unheeded advice to heart.

Re: THE DARK KNIGHT [Re: ronnierocketAGO] #528593
01/15/09 01:56 PM
01/15/09 01:56 PM
Gateshead, UK

Gateshead, UK

In other words, you don't have an answer.
No, I did, and do. I don't see how your question - "what is the difference between self-importance and pretentiousness" - is related to whether or not The Dark Knight is pretentious.

Self-importance and pretentious aren't very far away from one another; I think The Dark Knight is pretentious in its self-promotion of "serious psychological drama". You can't make serious psychological drama out of the Batman character. You can't make socially relevant and politically sophisticated drama out of Gotham City, either, for that matter.

We've been through this.

Why, because you said so?
Not because I said so per se, but I have said so, and nobody has argued against it. The only arguments that people have thrown back at me is that this is a film, and is therefore not to be taken seriously. That's as laughable as it is weak. Try and convince me how one can make plausible psychological drama out of the Batman character. Try and convince me Gotham City is a plausible fictional environment that can in someway mirror our own society.

That's what I'm getting at.

And saying, "Why aren't they, because you said so?" is equal to saying, "Why doesn't God exist, because you said so?"

There's no argument there. At all.

Re: THE DARK KNIGHT [Re: Longneck] #528594
01/15/09 02:04 PM
01/15/09 02:04 PM
Gateshead, UK

Gateshead, UK
Oh please continue arguing on my behalf. Put any words in my mouth you see fit to help you argue against yourself.
Ha, sorry. I was just jumping ahead because it's a tired, old argument that keeps popping up. "It's just a movie, deal with it". If that's the case, if we were to remove th author from any work, we could find enjoyment in pretty much anything; but we'd be ignoring its insidiousness.

It's a clear case of "dumbing down" for the sake of enjoying a movie. That we need to dumb down to enjoy the film is sign enough of its pretentiousness (because if we were to watch it in all seriousness, it'd reveal itself as utter shite).

For the record, I never felt the need to dumb down for the Burton films. I like Batman, a lot; I just don't see the need in making it more "adult" - which, in essence, is an impossibility.

("Why is it an impossibility? Because you said so?" LMFAO.)

Quote:
Also, did you mean opiate of the masses?
Opium, opiate; it's been translated as both. (I don't speak German.)

'Nuff said on that, though. I wouldn't want to get into semantic pedantry.

Re: THE DARK KNIGHT [Re: Blibbleblabble] #528637
01/15/09 07:30 PM
01/15/09 07:30 PM
B
Brwne Byte Offline
Capo
Brwne Byte  Offline
B
Capo
Originally Posted By: Blibbleblabble

Well, for me it's different because I am drawing these characters, but I am not getting into heated arguments to the point where I'm telling people to "shut the fuck up". I mean, all that isn't necessary. I do agree that if I love something enough to devote time to watching it constantly and writing stories about it(which I do) then yes, I do find it serious to a degree. But not to the point of cussing at someone or verbally insulting them because they don't agree with what I think about it, you know? It just comes to the point when you say to yourself, is it really worth getting that riled up over a movie, and when you look at the big scheme of things, no it isn't. I can enjoy it and devote my time to it, discuss it, but I don't need to get into fights about it.

Re: THE DARK KNIGHT [Re: Brwne Byte] #528824
01/17/09 02:58 PM
01/17/09 02:58 PM
Longneck Offline
Longneck  Offline

Batman bent a gun in the movie. This is totally a serious movie.

Long as I remember The rain been coming down.
Clouds of Mystery pouring Confusion on the ground.
Good men through the ages, Trying to find the sun;
And I wonder, Still I wonder, Who'll stop the rain.

Re: THE DARK KNIGHT [Re: Longneck] #528832
01/17/09 04:07 PM
01/17/09 04:07 PM
East Tennessee
R
ronnierocketAGO Offline
ronnierocketAGO  Offline
R

East Tennessee
Batman bent a gun in the movie. This is totally a serious movie.

haha

Re: THE DARK KNIGHT [Re: dontomasso] #528869
01/17/09 06:51 PM
01/17/09 06:51 PM
pfaff_luhver Offline
LOOKIN' 4 A LUVER IN A WORLD THAT'S MUCH TOO DARK
pfaff_luhver  Offline
LOOKIN' 4 A LUVER IN A WORLD THAT'S MUCH TOO DARK
Button
omfg, I luv this movie so much, my favorite film of all time now!!!! I watch it like a thousand times!

Re: THE DARK KNIGHT [Re: pfaff_luhver] #528870
01/17/09 06:57 PM
01/17/09 06:57 PM
East Bay
Blibbleblabble Offline
Poo-tee-weet?
Blibbleblabble  Offline
Poo-tee-weet?

East Bay
OMG!!! like, highfive!!

"There's never enough time to do all the nothing you want." -Calvin and Hobbes
Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7