GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (1 invisible), 61 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,618
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 24,148
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,518
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,387
Posts1,059,797
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
deleted scenes? #500690
07/18/08 06:50 PM
07/18/08 06:50 PM
Georgia, USA
D
DonRobertoCorleone Offline OP
Button
DonRobertoCorleone  Offline OP
D
Button
Georgia, USA
In looking at the deleted scenes from the movies, I think that movies would have been even better if those scenes had been left in. When Micheal gets revenge on Fabrisio and when Vito gets the men that killed his mother, those scenes actually add to the movie. Why did they delete them? Time wasn't an issue because the movie was already 3 hours long.

DonRobertoCorleone
Re: deleted scenes? [Re: DonRobertoCorleone] #500694
07/18/08 07:50 PM
07/18/08 07:50 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
Actually 3 hours and 20 minutes. That's long enough.

"Generosity. That was my first mistake."
"Experience must be our only guide; reason may mislead us."
"Instagram is Twitter for people who can't read."
Re: deleted scenes? [Re: olivant] #500725
07/19/08 01:30 AM
07/19/08 01:30 AM
Berlin, Germany
Danito Offline
Underboss
Danito  Offline
Underboss
Berlin, Germany
I think the impact of the killing of Fabrizio belongs in a way to GF1. GF2 is not just the continuation of the story but a complete story in itself. An "innocent" viewer might be irritated by the killing of Fabrizio.
Also, we are Godfather addicts, we need to know everything. But a film needs rhythm and timing, even if it's 3:20 hours long. The killing of Don Cicci's men didn't really add information. We knew already from the killing of Cicci that Vito had inherited the Sicilian blood.

Re: deleted scenes? [Re: Danito] #501240
07/22/08 01:24 PM
07/22/08 01:24 PM
Huntsville, AL
FrankWhite Offline
Capo
FrankWhite  Offline
Capo
Huntsville, AL
I agree with Danito, BUT one scene that always bothered me for not being added is the scene when Genco dies. I do believe this was a HUGE mistake for not including, as the audience (without any background information) has no idea who this is.

"From now on, nothing goes down unless I'm involved. No blackjack no dope deals, no nothing. A nickel bag gets sold in the park, I want in. You guys got fat while everybody starved on the street. Now it's my turn." (King of New York)
Re: deleted scenes? [Re: FrankWhite] #501480
07/23/08 09:46 AM
07/23/08 09:46 AM
With Geary in Fredo's Brothel
dontomasso Offline
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline
Consigliere to the Stars

I agree that both the Fabrizzio and the Genco dying scenes should have been left in.

I liked the Fabrizzio scene in GF II and Michael's comment about how long it took to get this done. It also reinforces the idea that Michael never gives up on a grudge.

The Genco scene really shows the tension between Vito and Michael, which is better than the actual deathbed scene, during which imho the Genco character over acts.

"Io sono stanco, sono imbigliato, and I wan't everyone here to know, there ain't gonna be no trouble from me..Don Corleone..Cicc' a port!"

"I stood in the courtroom like a fool."

"I am Constanza: Lord of the idiots."

Re: deleted scenes? [Re: dontomasso] #501490
07/23/08 11:22 AM
07/23/08 11:22 AM
Huntsville, AL
FrankWhite Offline
Capo
FrankWhite  Offline
Capo
Huntsville, AL
You're right DT... I do recall a little overacting on his part.

"From now on, nothing goes down unless I'm involved. No blackjack no dope deals, no nothing. A nickel bag gets sold in the park, I want in. You guys got fat while everybody starved on the street. Now it's my turn." (King of New York)
Re: deleted scenes? [Re: FrankWhite] #501520
07/23/08 03:32 PM
07/23/08 03:32 PM
Anytown, USA
goombah Offline
goombah  Offline

Anytown, USA
If people think the Genco scene was over the top in the movie, read the novel. It was way overdone in print.

That is one of the best deleted scenes, particularly to show the distance b/w Vito & Michael. It would have tied in perfectly (hindsight being 20/20) to the flashback in GFII when Michael defiantly stated:

TOM: Now you don't understand but, uh, your father has big plans for you. Now many times he and I have talked about your future.

MICHAEL: Talked to my father about my future? My future.

TOM: Mikey, he has high hopes for you.

MICHAEL: Well I have my own plans for my future.

Re: deleted scenes? [Re: goombah] #501521
07/23/08 03:50 PM
07/23/08 03:50 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
Alot of what we see or don't see on the screen, while obviously a function of producer's or director's judgement, may also have to do with the technical quality of a scene among other things. That's why post-production contractual obligations are so important. Such a technical glitch could have prevented that scene from being part of what was in theaters.

Re: deleted scenes? [Re: olivant] #501537
07/23/08 06:36 PM
07/23/08 06:36 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
All of the deleted scenes are wonderful. You can see them, in proper sequence, in the chronological "Saga" version of GF and II, which is shown frequently on cable.
Though some of the scenes (like Fab's murder and the Genco scene) add to our understanding, none of them were essential to the theatrical release versions. For example, we didn't need to see Genco on his hospital bed to know that Tom was going to be the official consigliere because Michael told that to Kay.

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.
Re: deleted scenes? [Re: Turnbull] #501579
07/24/08 10:05 AM
07/24/08 10:05 AM
Huntsville, AL
FrankWhite Offline
Capo
FrankWhite  Offline
Capo
Huntsville, AL
Originally Posted By: Turnbull
For example, we didn't need to see Genco on his hospital bed to know that Tom was going to be the official consigliere because Michael told that to Kay.

Well TB, I see what you're saying, but how do we know who he's succeeding and who Sonny is talking about when he says "Pop had Genco, look what I got" without the Genco scene?

I think it's important (although clearly not mandatory for the films success) for the audience to be able to identify with the contrast that Santino is making; and not just for the statement that Sonny makes, simply for the whole experience that Tom has as consigliere.

Re: deleted scenes? [Re: FrankWhite] #501583
07/24/08 10:33 AM
07/24/08 10:33 AM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
Frank, I'd never argue that the Genco deathbed scene shouldn't have been included. It's the most important because it resolves Genco, and also puts into perspective Michael's diffidence about his family (and a great Brando expression when he rolls his eyes at Michael). All I'm saying is that I wasn't disadvantaged by not having it included in the theatrical release.

Re: deleted scenes? [Re: FrankWhite] #501584
07/24/08 10:36 AM
07/24/08 10:36 AM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
Originally Posted By: FrankWhite
For example, we didn't need to see Genco on his hospital bed to know that Tom was going to be the official consigliere because Michael told that to Kay.

Well TB, I see what you're saying, but how do we know who he's succeeding and who Sonny is talking about when he says "Pop had Genco, look what I got" without the Genco scene?

I think it's important (although clearly not mandatory for the films success) for the audience to be able to identify with the contrast that Santino is making; and not just for the statement that Sonny makes, simply for the whole experience that Tom has as consigliere.

Well, Sonny is using past tense, so the audience should be able to pick up on that and the comparison that Sonny is making. I know I did. The hospital scene might have added somehting to it, but I don't think it was necessary. Afterall, we don't get any explanation of the capos' roles in the family, but we pick up on what they do.

Re: deleted scenes? [Re: olivant] #501596
07/24/08 12:19 PM
07/24/08 12:19 PM
dontomasso Offline
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline
Consigliere to the Stars

I had read the book when I saw the movie, so I knew who Genco was, but even if I hadn't I think it was plain that Genco was the previous consigliere, and of course a Sicilian, which Tom was not.

In looking at Genco in GFII, he seemd like a complete dufus. When did he get so smart?

"Io sono stanco, sono imbigliato, and I wan't everyone here to know, there ain't gonna be no trouble from me..Don Corleone..Cicc' a port!"

Re: deleted scenes? [Re: dontomasso] #501603
07/24/08 12:56 PM
07/24/08 12:56 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
Originally Posted By: dontomasso

In looking at Genco in GFII, he seemd like a complete dufus. When did he get so smart?

It was a directoral device to highlight fear of Fanucci, which Vito didn't have. For that matter, Clem and Tess also feared Fanucci.

Re: deleted scenes? [Re: Turnbull] #501620
07/24/08 02:39 PM
07/24/08 02:39 PM
dontomasso Offline
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline
Consigliere to the Stars

Originally Posted By: dontomasso

It was a directoral device to highlight fear of Fanucci, which Vito didn't have. For that matter, Clem and Tess also feared Fanucci.

Well he certainly did fear Fanucci, but overall...fawning over that vaudeville actress...he seemed not to be one of much cunning.

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull