GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (The_Marble_Guy), 266 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,497
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 23,930
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,512
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,337
Posts1,058,852
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Pantangelli Question #500280
07/16/08 10:10 PM
07/16/08 10:10 PM
S
stracci Offline OP
Wiseguy
stracci  Offline OP
S
Wiseguy
A part from GF2 that i never understood was when Pantangelli was "strangled" with the guy saying greetings from Michael Corleone.

I'm assuming Roth set this up in order for Frankie to feel betrayed by Michael.

Does Frankie ever realize this? - does seeing his brother with Michael at the trial make him realize this? - Even when Tom talks with him after the trial the subject isn't mentioned as far as i can tell

Thanks - one part that always confused me

Re: Pantangelli Question [Re: stracci] #500286
07/16/08 10:29 PM
07/16/08 10:29 PM
New York
SC Offline
Consigliere
SC  Offline
Consigliere

New York
stracci, this is one of the most debated issues on the boards. I'm afraid we'll never get the real answer.

I had seen a tv interview with actor Danny Aiello (the one doing the strangling) and he claimed he ad-libbed that line ("Michael Corleone says hello") and evidentally FFC liked it so much he kept it in the movie (without regard to confusing the audience about the meaning of those words).

Re: Pantangelli Question [Re: stracci] #500288
07/16/08 10:32 PM
07/16/08 10:32 PM
DivaLasVegas82 Offline
Button
DivaLasVegas82  Offline
Button
The man who garroted Frankie was one of the Rosato brothers. My understanding is the reason for the "Michael Corleone says hello" statement was so that Frank would believe that Michael had ordered a hit on him. And yes, Frankie does realize this. It was the reason he was going to testify aganist Michael.

What always confused me about Part II was why Frankie changed his story when his brother showed up. I could never figure out if his brother's presence alone intimitated him or he didn't want to be seen as a rat.

Re: Pantangelli Question [Re: DivaLasVegas82] #500289
07/16/08 10:35 PM
07/16/08 10:35 PM
New York
SC Offline
Consigliere
SC  Offline
Consigliere

New York
Originally Posted By: DivaLasVegas82
My understanding is the reason for the "Michael Corleone says hello" statement was so that Frank would believe that Michael had ordered a hit on him. And yes, Frankie does realize this. It was the reason he was going to testify aganist Michael.

So you believe that the strangling was only to scare Pentangeli and not kill him? You believe that the cop who walked in (ending the strangling) was a part of the plan???

Re: Pantangelli Question [Re: DivaLasVegas82] #500293
07/16/08 10:45 PM
07/16/08 10:45 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
Originally Posted By: DivaLasVegas82
The man who garroted Frankie was one of the Rosato brothers. My understanding is the reason for the "Michael Corleone says hello" statement was so that Frank would believe that Michael had ordered a hit on him. And yes, Frankie does realize this. It was the reason he was going to testify aganist Michael.

What always confused me about Part II was why Frankie changed his story when his brother showed up. I could never figure out if his brother's presence alone intimitated him or he didn't want to be seen as a rat.

Both scenes have been discussed extensively. But I agree with SC that Rosato's intention was to kill Frankie, not scare him as evidenced by the cop's interruption. The line could have been ablibbed. We just don't know.

As far as Frankie's brother at the hearing goes, it was a warning to Frankie: testify and your brother is going down.

"Generosity. That was my first mistake."
"Experience must be our only guide; reason may mislead us."
"Instagram is Twitter for people who can't read."
Re: Pantangelli Question [Re: olivant] #500308
07/17/08 12:15 AM
07/17/08 12:15 AM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
This is just about the most extensively discussed question on this board (other than "who killed tha Tahoe shooters?").

Roth and the Rosatos intended for Frankie to be dead. The cop breaking up the attempted murder was pure happenstance. There is no way--repeat, no way--Roth could have arranged the cop's entry with split-second precision to break up the murder in order to get Frankie to turn against Michael.

Some people here believe that Michael brought Frankie's brother Vincenzo to the hearing to shame Frankie: he couldn't break omerta after seeing his old-school brother watching him incredulously. Others believe that it was an implicit threat: if Frankie went ahead with his testimony, his brother (and, perhaps other family Frankie had in Sicily) would be harmed. It's possible that both viewpoints are correct.

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.
Re: Pantangelli Question [Re: Turnbull] #500348
07/17/08 09:13 AM
07/17/08 09:13 AM
South of the Pinelands
MaryCas Offline
MaryCas  Offline

South of the Pinelands
Originally Posted By: Turnbull

Roth and the Rosatos intended for Frankie to be dead. The cop breaking up the attempted murder was pure happenstance. There is no way--repeat, no way--Roth could have arranged the cop's entry with split-second precision to break up the murder in order to get Frankie to turn against Michael.

The "Michael Corleone says hello" had to be an artistic whim of Coppola's. Danny Aiello admits it was an ad lib, so to leave those words in the film was a director's decision. For what purpose? Consider that a film is an artist's interpretation. There are many things that create dramatic effect and imagery; music, lighting, sound effects, make-up AND dialog. Those four words add a little punch to the scene and it can raise viewer curiousity. We tend to forget how a scene can affect us when viewed ONCE. Most of us here have viewed the scene hundreds of times. The initial impact has been covered over and distorted by years of analysis.

Whoever exalts himself will be humbled, whoever humbles himself will be exalted - Matthew 23:12
Re: Pantangelli Question [Re: MaryCas] #500352
07/17/08 10:06 AM
07/17/08 10:06 AM
With Geary in Fredo's Brothel
dontomasso Offline
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline
Consigliere to the Stars

I join everyone else in this mystery. Certainly the intent was to kill Frankie, so it wouldn't make any difference to Frankie if Michael Corleone or Hyman Roth killed him. It could make sense if the Rosato Brothers reported that Michael had betrayed Frankie and blamed him for the hit in Tahoe, thus giving them a leg up on chiseling his territory, and perhaps turning Cicci.

"Io sono stanco, sono imbigliato, and I wan't everyone here to know, there ain't gonna be no trouble from me..Don Corleone..Cicc' a port!"

"I stood in the courtroom like a fool."

"I am Constanza: Lord of the idiots."

Re: Pantangelli Question [Re: dontomasso] #500354
07/17/08 10:15 AM
07/17/08 10:15 AM
Pittsburgh, PA
The Last Woltz Offline
Underboss
The Last Woltz  Offline
Underboss
Pittsburgh, PA
I never believed that the line was ad-libbed.

A new actor with a non-speaking role in the most anticipated film of the decade would never ruin a scene by blurting out an ad-lib, especially one that contradicts a major plot point (who gave the order to kill Frankie).

I think the most plausible explanation is that there was an earlier version of the script in which this line made more sense.

"A man in my position cannot afford to be made to look ridiculous!"
Re: Pantangelli Question [Re: The Last Woltz] #500355
07/17/08 10:35 AM
Huntsville, AL
FrankWhite Offline
Capo
FrankWhite  Offline
Capo
Huntsville, AL
Well stracci... I guess the bottom line is we don't know, BUT I believe that it was an ad lib (although TLW makes a good point against this) and we will never know... has any one listened to the commentary in part II to see if Coppola had anything to say about it during this scene??? I have only watched II with the commentary once and don't remember.

"From now on, nothing goes down unless I'm involved. No blackjack no dope deals, no nothing. A nickel bag gets sold in the park, I want in. You guys got fat while everybody starved on the street. Now it's my turn." (King of New York)
Re: Pantangelli Question [Re: The Last Woltz] #500356
New York
SC Offline
Consigliere
SC  Offline
Consigliere

New York
Originally Posted By: The Last Woltz
I never believed that the line was ad-libbed.

A new actor with a non-speaking role in the most anticipated film of the decade would never ruin a scene by blurting out an ad-lib, especially one that contradicts a major plot point (who gave the order to kill Frankie).

So you're saying it had been written that Aiello would say that and the most anticipated film of the decade was badly produced because of editing/writing/continuity issues?

Re: Pantangelli Question [Re: SC] #500364
07/17/08 12:17 PM
07/17/08 12:17 PM
Pittsburgh, PA
The Last Woltz Offline
Underboss
The Last Woltz  Offline
Underboss
Pittsburgh, PA
Your point is well-taken, SC.

But a last-minute script change seems more plausible to me than it being an ad lib, especially in light of the alternate shooting scripts that have surfaced and other (minor) continuity issues that have been spotted (such as Questadt sitting behind Roth in Havana).

"A man in my position cannot afford to be made to look ridiculous!"
Re: Pantangelli Question [Re: The Last Woltz] #500400
07/17/08 03:00 PM
07/17/08 03:00 PM
New York
Sicilian Babe Offline
Sicilian Babe  Offline

New York
As for the purpose of Vincenzo's presence in the courtroom, I believed for many years that it was a threat to Frankie - we kill your brother if you testify. Michael's "It was between the brothers," was just one more lie he told to Kay.

However, after watching and listening more carefully, I no longer think so. I believe that he was there to remind Frankie that they took an oath, and that he would disgrace their family if he broke it. To me, that is supported by Tom Hagen, after Frankie changes his testimony, telling Vincenzo (in Sicilian) that the honor of the family was intact. This makes Michael's statement to Kay sincere after all.

President Emeritus of the Neal Pulcawer Fan Club
Re: Pantangelli Question [Re: Sicilian Babe] #500416
07/17/08 04:08 PM
07/17/08 04:08 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
Of course, if the brother's presence could remind Frankie of his oath, fine. But do you really believe that Michael was going to rely simply on that to constrain Frankie's testimony (Michael: Golly gee. I thought that oath thing would do the trick. Now I'm going to prison. Shucks)? No. It was clear: testify and your brother dies. Remember: this is the Mafia we are discussing.

Re: Pantangelli Question [Re: Turnbull] #500457
07/17/08 04:51 PM
07/17/08 04:51 PM
New York
Sicilian Babe Offline
Sicilian Babe  Offline

New York
Originally Posted By: Turnbull
Some people here believe that Michael brought Frankie's brother Vincenzo to the hearing to shame Frankie: he couldn't break omerta after seeing his old-school brother watching him incredulously. Others believe that it was an implicit threat: if Frankie went ahead with his testimony, his brother (and, perhaps other family Frankie had in Sicily) would be harmed. It's possible that both viewpoints are correct.

President Emeritus of the Neal Pulcawer Fan Club
Re: Pantangelli Question [Re: olivant] #500461
07/17/08 05:00 PM
07/17/08 05:00 PM
New York
SC Offline
Consigliere
SC  Offline
Consigliere

New York
Originally Posted By: olivant
No. It was clear: testify and your brother dies. Remember: this is the Mafia we are discussing.

True! And remember that Pentangeli's brother was NOT a "civilian" either. He would have been fair game and that logic wasn't wasted on Frankie Five Angels.

Re: Pantangelli Question [Re: The Last Woltz] #500472
07/17/08 05:37 PM
07/17/08 05:37 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
I've always believed that the line, "Michael Corleone says hello," was aimed at Richie, the bartender, not Frankie. Richie was a civilian and he was nervous as hell ("Carmine, NO!, not here," he shouts as Carmine Rosato is about to kill the cop in Richie's place}. The cops would find Frankie dead in his place, so Richie might be under pressure to tell all. So the Rosatos fed him a line. That way, he could tell the cops, "I dunno who those guys were. But on of 'em said, 'Michael Corleone says hello' as they were stranglin' him." That'd be a perfect pointer to Michael had Frankie died as intended. And you can bet it'd get in the newspapers--another way to attack Michael's "legitimate" front.

"

Re: Pantangelli Question [Re: Turnbull] #500498
07/17/08 07:04 PM
07/17/08 07:04 PM
No. Virginia
mustachepete Offline
Special
mustachepete  Offline
Special
Underboss
No. Virginia
In the book, Fabrizzio's shooter tells him, "Michael Corleone sends his regards." It's always seemed likely to me that that is the source for the line actually spoken by Aiello.

"All of these men were good listeners; patient men."
Re: Pantangelli Question [Re: mustachepete] #500500
07/17/08 07:17 PM
07/17/08 07:17 PM
New York
SC Offline
Consigliere
SC  Offline
Consigliere

New York
Originally Posted By: mustachepete
In the book, Fabrizzio's shooter tells him, "Michael Corleone sends his regards." It's always seemed likely to me that that is the source for the line actually spoken by Aiello.

Much of that scene was based on real-life events involving the strangling of Larry Gallo (Crazy Joe Gallo's brother).

As with most mob folklore tales there is some uncertainty about the exact details of Gallo's strangling. Harvey Aronson in his book, "The Killing of Joey Gallo", describes Larry Gallo as standing at the rail of the bar talking to the bartender when he saw a flash of a reflection in the mirror. That "flash" was the rope being thrown around his neck (from behind). In "Joey" by Donald Goddard it is described that Larry Gallo went into the bar with John Scimone and they were followed in by Carmine Persico and "Sally" D'Ambrosio who then pulled their guns on Gallo and told him that they were responsible for Joe Jelly's killing. They started strangling Gallo (in the hope that he'd call his brothers for help, luring them into the trap) but Larry passed out first.

To further point out a few things about art imitating life -

- Larry Gallo was given a "C" note (just like Pentangeli was) before the strangling.

- Joe "Jelly" Gioelli's shirt was found in the street wrapped around a fish (the basis for Luca Brasi's bulletproof vest) two days before this strangling attempt on Gallo.

- The bartender of The Sahara Lounge (where this took place) was named Clemenza.

Re: Pantangelli Question [Re: SC] #500503
07/17/08 07:22 PM
07/17/08 07:22 PM
Beth E Offline
Crabby
Beth E  Offline
Crabby

I never thought about Turnbull's point that this line was said for Ritchie the bartender, in case he ever had to give someone up. I always just figured they said it so Frankie would die thinking Michael turned on him.

How about a little less questions and a lot more shut the hell up - Brian Griffin

When there's a will...put me in it.
Re: Pantangelli Question [Re: Beth E] #500510
07/17/08 07:34 PM
07/17/08 07:34 PM
New York
SC Offline
Consigliere
SC  Offline
Consigliere

New York
Originally Posted By: Beth E
I never thought about Turnbull's point that this line was said for Ritchie the bartender, in case he ever had to give someone up.

His theory doesn't hold water. The bartender wouldn't have cooperated with the cops (and give testimony against Michael Corleone).

The line was delivered (IMO) because of a similar line made against Larry Gallo (and it was somewhat common knowledge) and FFC heard Aiello ad-lib the line in rehearsal and agreed to keep it in the movie because it sounded authentic.

Re: Pantangelli Question [Re: SC] #500525
07/17/08 09:13 PM
07/17/08 09:13 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
I agree SC. There was no way that Ritchie was going to testify, period.

Re: Pantangelli Question [Re: olivant] #500607
07/18/08 09:42 AM
07/18/08 09:42 AM
dontomasso Offline
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline
Consigliere to the Stars

Originally Posted By: olivant
I agree SC. There was no way that Ritchie was going to testify, period.

Why not? He would have been given immunity, and all he heard was some guy saying "Michael Corleone says hello." That would not be enough to implicate Michael in a court of law, because its hearsay.

"Io sono stanco, sono imbigliato, and I wan't everyone here to know, there ain't gonna be no trouble from me..Don Corleone..Cicc' a port!"

Re: Pantangelli Question [Re: dontomasso] #500632
07/18/08 11:15 AM
07/18/08 11:15 AM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
Immunity from what? Death?

Re: Pantangelli Question [Re: olivant] #500636
07/18/08 11:46 AM
07/18/08 11:46 AM
dontomasso Offline
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline
Consigliere to the Stars

Prosecution. But the bottom line is if he gave the testimony that someone said "Michael Corleone says hello" before he killed Pentangeli, it gets law enforcement no where. It is not enough to incriminate Corleone. So they wouldn't need the testimony in any case.

Because Pentangeli lived and ratted Michael out, they needed the bartender even less.

The main thing the bartender had to lose was his liquor license.

Re: Pantangelli Question [Re: dontomasso] #500642
07/18/08 12:39 PM
07/18/08 12:39 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
Recall. What was it that one of the Rosato's yelled at Ritchie while exiting the bar: Open your mouth and you're dead. So what are we to expect now from Ritchie? He's going to implicate the most powerful Mafia Don in the country and that Don is just going to say "oh well. That's life?"

Re: Pantangelli Question [Re: olivant] #500653
07/18/08 02:17 PM
07/18/08 02:17 PM
dontomasso Offline
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline
Consigliere to the Stars

That threat has to do with Ritchie's relationship with the Rosatos. Not anything about Corleone. Hell, they wanted Corleone dead. They were probably in on the attampted hit with Roth.

Re: Pantangelli Question [Re: dontomasso] #500657
07/18/08 02:26 PM
07/18/08 02:26 PM
New York
SC Offline
Consigliere
SC  Offline
Consigliere

New York
The bartender knew the mob well enough to know that if he cooperated with the police in any manner he was a dead man. He was smart. He didn't object to a mob killing - he objected to a mob killing in HIS PLACE.

He would not have helped the police in any manner. His answer would have been, "I was in the back washing some glasses" or somethinhg like that.

Re: Pantangelli Question [Re: SC] #500658
07/18/08 02:33 PM
07/18/08 02:33 PM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
Originally Posted By: SC
The bartender knew the mob well enough to know that if he cooperated with the police in any manner he was a dead man. He was smart. He didn't object to a mob killing - he objected to a mob killing in HIS PLACE.

He would not have helped the police in any manner. His answer would have been, "I was in the back washing some glasses" or somethinhg like that.

I tend to agree. If it was today, maybe not. But in 1959, at the height of the Mob's power and "mystique," no way he'd rat. Don't forget, this is before the Witness Protecion Program was formed. Where was he gonna go?

"I got news for you. If it wasn't for the toilet, there would be no books." --- George Costanza.
Re: Pantangelli Question [Re: pizzaboy] #500664
07/18/08 03:06 PM
07/18/08 03:06 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
Originally Posted By: pizzaboy
Originally Posted By: SC

I tend to agree. If it was today, maybe not. But in 1959, at the height of the Mob's power and "mystique," no way he'd rat. Don't forget, this is before the Witness Protecion Program was formed. Where was he gonna go?

Riche wasn't a made guy. If the cops found a stiff in his bar, he'd be squeezed. Because they knew he was a civilian, they'd offer him immunity from prosecution. That's why "Michael Corleone says hello" was tailor-made for Richie: He could "cooperate" with the police by claiming he didn't know the guys--only that one of them said, "Michael Corleone says hello." Meanwhile, the phrase would implicate Michael. By itself, it wouldn't be enough to form the basis of prosecuting Michael for murder--but it'd go a long way to besmirch his "legit" front when it hit the newspapers. The Rosatos would give Richie a pass as long as he didn't identify them by name. It's just the sort of complex scheme Roth would have thought of.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull