GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 260 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,461
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 23,881
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,512
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,322
Posts1,058,582
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 10 of 14 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 13 14
Re: The Boxing Thread! [Re: ibarramedia] #539621
05/05/09 10:21 AM
05/05/09 10:21 AM
Newcastle-upon-Tyne UK
Yogi Barrabbas Offline
Yogi Barrabbas  Offline

Newcastle-upon-Tyne UK
I think that last post about Hatton is a little harsh. The build up to the fight was all in good nature and Hatton didn't seem to be making excuses in the interviews i have seen. He said he was beaten fair and square by Manny,which he was.

I thought him throwing a pool party for his fans was a nice touch also!

I would rather die on my feet than live on my knees!
Re: The Boxing Thread! [Re: Yogi Barrabbas] #539640
05/05/09 12:48 PM
05/05/09 12:48 PM
Silver Spring, Md
I
ibarramedia Offline
Made Member
ibarramedia  Offline
I
Made Member
Silver Spring, Md
Here is a very clear copy of the fight.

http://www.boxinghighlights.info/?p=1664

Yogi, I'm sorry if you were offended by the commentary. That was not the intent. Simply telling it like it is with no malice. Richard is a good man unlike Floyd Mayweather sr who attacked the character of Freddy Roach and cannot even give Manny Pacquiao the dignity of respect for what he has done. Have a good day mate. Cheers.

Re: The Boxing Thread! [Re: ibarramedia] #539671
05/05/09 09:53 PM
05/05/09 09:53 PM
Pennsylvania
klydon1 Offline
klydon1  Offline

Pennsylvania
I thought the article was a bit demeaning to Hatton too. I don't think Hatton has anything to be ashamed of. He's been a great fighter with a lot of heart, who lost to another outstanding fighter. I think Hatton's been a tough, stand-up guy, and the article seems needlessly to rub salt in his wounds. And his fiancee is easy on the eyes.

I think a Manny/Mayweather fight will be quite a spectacle.

Re: The Boxing Thread! [Re: klydon1] #539675
05/05/09 10:27 PM
05/05/09 10:27 PM
East Bay
Blibbleblabble Offline
Poo-tee-weet?
Blibbleblabble  Offline
Poo-tee-weet?

East Bay
Hatton has been really good for the sport, so he definitely doesn't deserve and criticism.

"There's never enough time to do all the nothing you want." -Calvin and Hobbes
Re: The Boxing Thread! [Re: Blibbleblabble] #539690
05/06/09 10:32 AM
05/06/09 10:32 AM
Newcastle-upon-Tyne UK
Yogi Barrabbas Offline
Yogi Barrabbas  Offline

Newcastle-upon-Tyne UK
Ibarra i wasn't offended my friend. I just think Hatton is getting a bit of a bum deal now in the press and i feel that is a bit harsh.

I do agree with you about Mayweather Sr who Hatton should never have let anywhere near him.

His comments about Roach were silly. Roach is the best coach in the world and he just happens to have the best fighter. Awesome combo wink

Re: The Boxing Thread! [Re: Yogi Barrabbas] #539699
05/06/09 11:09 AM
05/06/09 11:09 AM
Silver Spring, Md
I
ibarramedia Offline
Made Member
ibarramedia  Offline
I
Made Member
Silver Spring, Md
From an offense-oriented fighter who made his US debut in June 2001,Manny Pacquiao has metamorphosed into a do-it-all punching machine now regarded as the best boxer in the world pound-for-pound and appears headed towards becoming an all-time great. I have a lot orf respect for Manny. Not only is he a great boxer, he is a very good person.

Pacquiao starts every fight with a fervent prayer while on his knees and expresses sincere concern for his fallen foes and love for his family, supporters, and the Filipino people. He is a very humble high profile athlete. Something lacking in today's in your face, me, me ,me athlete. Neither boxer is American, and we Americans often like to see American athletes here in America.

Last Saturday, after seeing Ricky Hatton get knocked-out cold by a Pacquiao left hand to the chin, one can’t help but feel concerned for his health.

Indeed, the Brit who never lost to anyone before in the weight class of 140 lbs. woke up and recovered enough to walk back to his dressing room. Still, it would be hard to believe that he did not suffer some sort of a permanent damage which may show up in the future.

On the other side of the coin, while we feel for Ricky Hatton, we have nothing but contempt for his trainer, Floyd Mayweather Sr. I mean, the man is a motor mouth and he was telling everyone within an ear-shot weeks before the fight that he is the best and “Freddie Roach is just a “joke”.

Thanks to Manny Pacquiao the true Mayweather colors came shining true.

After the fight, Mayweather showed total lack of class and very poor sportsmanship.

The guy who loves to proclaim himself as the “best there is” did not even show up at the podium with the Team Hatton during the official post-fight conference.

Was he perhaps scared that the media will expose him?

If his absence was because he rode with Hatton and Oscar de la Hoya to the Valley Hospital, I would have thought more of him as a trainer.

But he did not!

To make things worse, he could not even muster enough guts to admit that they lost! Or perhaps accept the reality that Hatton did not learn anything from him sufficient enough to counter what Roach has taught Pacquiao.

And, he still continues to be adamant that he is better than Freddie Roach!

In fact, if Hatton’s performance last Saturday was the best Mayweather could do to get Hatton on par with Pacquiao, Mayweather totally failed as a trainer.

Mayweather insisted that Hatton did not hold his hands up as instructed.

If one is on the blaming game, they should look no farther.

Mayweather did not train Hatton well enough. If he could not even train him to listen and carry such a simple instruction how can he expect him to learn the many other things needed to beat Pacquiao?

But why put all the blame on Hatton? Could he not at least accept the fact that he is partially responsible for the loss too?

Word is Mayweather may not be part of Team Hatton anymore. That is well and good for Team Hatton.

Apparently he and Gareth Williams, Ricky Hatton's attorney do not see eye to eye.

Word leaked out that Mayweather was in many occasions late for training and after the fight, blamed Hatton for the lost. Of course such misgivings would not sink well on Team Hatton. And, it would not be a surprise if they let him go.

By unseating Ricky Hatton, Manny won his 6th title in as many weight divisions. 5th recognized title. More so, he is the first fighter to win a 4th lineal or real championship in 4 weight divisions. He has now won the flyweight, featherweight (which many erroneously do not recognize), junior-lightweight and now junior-welterweight lineal championship.

Manny's Lineal titles:

Flyweight -112 lbs (KO Sasakul)
Featherweight - 126 lbs (TKO Barrera)
Jr. Lightweight - 130 lbs (SD JMM)
Jr. Welter - 140 lbs (KO Hatton)

World Titles recognized by sanctioning bodies:

WBC world flyweight champion
IBF world super bantamweight champion
WBC world super featherweight champion
WBC world lightweight champion
IBO world Jr. Welterweight champion

World Titles recognized by the public at large:

WBC world flyweight champion
IBF world super bantamweight champion
Ring Magazine world featherweight champion
WBC world super featherweight champion
WBC world lightweight champion
IBO world Jr. Welterweight champion

Ring magazine titles:

World featherweight champion
World super featherweight champion
World light welterweight champion

Non world titles:

OPBF flyweight champion
WBC international super bantamweight champion
WBC international super featherweight champion

In professional boxing, the lineal championship of a weight class is a notional world championship title. It is initially held at some moment in time by a boxer universally acclaimed as the best in the class. Another boxer can only win the lineal championship by defeating the reigning lineal champion in the ring. The lineal champion is described as "the man who beat the man".

A boxer loses his lineal championship if he is defeated,moves up in weight class or retires.

Re: The Boxing Thread! [Re: ibarramedia] #540650
05/14/09 05:20 PM
05/14/09 05:20 PM
Happy Valley
Freddie C. Offline
Underboss
Freddie C.  Offline
Underboss
Happy Valley
I thought the Pacquiao - Hatton fight was great. I'd much rather see an awesome early knockout than a boring 12 round decision (i.e. De La Hoya vs Mayweather). As probably everyone else, I'd like to see Manny fight the winner of Mayweather - Marquez.

The next big fight I'm looking forward to is Miguel Cotto vs Joshua Clottey (June 13). It's a great matchup and I would love to see the winner take on Shane Mosely.

"The Dewey Decimal System... What a scam that was!"
Re: The Boxing Thread! [Re: Freddie C.] #540707
05/15/09 08:48 AM
05/15/09 08:48 AM
Newcastle-upon-Tyne UK
Yogi Barrabbas Offline
Yogi Barrabbas  Offline

Newcastle-upon-Tyne UK
Cotto v Clottey will be a great fight Freddie and i have a sneaky feeling for Clottey,much as i like Cotto. That big left hand of Clottey just does not miss!

I also have a sneaky feeling that Mosley may fight Manny next!

Re: The Boxing Thread! [Re: ibarramedia] #540782
05/15/09 07:24 PM
05/15/09 07:24 PM
It's fun to stay in the YMCA
Turi Giuliano Offline
Turi Giuliano  Offline

It's fun to stay in the YMCA
Originally Posted By: ibarramedia
In fact, if Hatton’s performance last Saturday was the best Mayweather could do to get Hatton on par with Pacquiao, Mayweather totally failed as a trainer.

Mayweather insisted that Hatton did not hold his hands up as instructed.

If one is on the blaming game, they should look no farther.

Mayweather did not train Hatton well enough. If he could not even train him to listen and carry such a simple instruction how can he expect him to learn the many other things needed to beat Pacquiao?

I've been a Hatton fan for quite a long time now, long long before he made it to even the WBU world stage (the rubbish 5th world title belt). And after so many years in the professional game I think it's an almost impossible task to change a fighters style. Mayweather actually did though, if you'd seen Hatton training. I've never seen such good defense and head movement, he was actually really good. The problem with Hatton is that as soon as he's in the ring it's all forgotten and he reverts back to his old style. Until Mayweather Jr it worked and he learned a lesson there. And a couple of good confidence wins and joining Mayweather Sr really looked to get him back on track. But the truth is, and it pains me to say it, he will always be the same ring fighter.

I actually believe he can carry on fighting, even at world stage considering the fighters currently at 140lbs. Although the top P4P fighters, no he's never going to beat them. Because he's seen the greatness of fighting and been to the top of the game, I don't think it's worth it now just to beat 'almosts' or 'nearly' world champions.

Although, there's only one fight I want to see him take...

Junior Witter. As much as he doesn't want to give him a payday, it's still a good chance for Hatton to win and build British interest in the sport. Go out on a (mini) high.

So die all who betray Giuliano
Re: The Boxing Thread! [Re: Turi Giuliano] #540856
05/17/09 10:24 AM
05/17/09 10:24 AM
Newcastle-upon-Tyne UK
Yogi Barrabbas Offline
Yogi Barrabbas  Offline

Newcastle-upon-Tyne UK
Well said Turi. My mate at work,a big boxing fan said the same thing about him fighting Witter. I would like to see that,a good old fashioned British grudge match smile

Re: The Boxing Thread! [Re: Yogi Barrabbas] #540886
05/17/09 01:52 PM
05/17/09 01:52 PM
Happy Valley
Freddie C. Offline
Underboss
Freddie C.  Offline
Underboss
Happy Valley
How about a fight of Hatton vs Amir Khan? I have to think that would also be a big fight over there.

Re: The Boxing Thread! [Re: Freddie C.] #541049
05/18/09 09:43 AM
05/18/09 09:43 AM
Newcastle-upon-Tyne UK
Yogi Barrabbas Offline
Yogi Barrabbas  Offline

Newcastle-upon-Tyne UK
It would be Freddie and could be done but the two of them are good friends and that may stop a fight between them.

What do you make of Khan, Freddie?

Re: The Boxing Thread! [Re: Yogi Barrabbas] #541387
05/20/09 09:14 AM
05/20/09 09:14 AM
Happy Valley
Freddie C. Offline
Underboss
Freddie C.  Offline
Underboss
Happy Valley
I have never seen Khan fight live, but have seen some highlights. I just know that he is gaining popularity and that he comes from the same part of England as Hatton.

Re: The Boxing Thread! [Re: Freddie C.] #541546
05/21/09 09:03 AM
05/21/09 09:03 AM
Newcastle-upon-Tyne UK
Yogi Barrabbas Offline
Yogi Barrabbas  Offline

Newcastle-upon-Tyne UK
He is exciting and can finish guys off but his own chin is wobbly abd i still feel that if he gets caught off somebody at top level it is bye bye time.

However, he is popular and working with Freddie Roach can only help him.

I see Greg Page passed away also frown

Re: The Boxing Thread! [Re: Yogi Barrabbas] #541947
05/23/09 01:02 PM
05/23/09 01:02 PM
Happy Valley
Freddie C. Offline
Underboss
Freddie C.  Offline
Underboss
Happy Valley
Here's a link to a very entertaining interview Floyd Jr. had on SportsCenter.

Mayweather vs Kenny

Re: The Boxing Thread! [Re: Freddie C.] #544643
06/12/09 02:29 AM
06/12/09 02:29 AM
Happy Valley
Freddie C. Offline
Underboss
Freddie C.  Offline
Underboss
Happy Valley
No one else enjoyed that Mayweather interview? Anyway, the Cotto-Clottey fight is tomorrow. They're two of the best in boxing's deepest division (welterweight), so it should be a great fight. From what I've read, if Cotto wins there is a good chance that he fights Pacquiao in October. If Clottey wins, I think the logical match is him vs Mosely.

Re: The Boxing Thread! [Re: Freddie C.] #544677
06/12/09 10:46 AM
06/12/09 10:46 AM
Newcastle-upon-Tyne UK
Yogi Barrabbas Offline
Yogi Barrabbas  Offline

Newcastle-upon-Tyne UK
Yes Cotto v Clottey should be a stormer. I think Clottey could win it,he has great power and a cracking left. That said,Cotto is a class act and no powder puff puncher himself!

David Haye has pulled out of his June fight v Klitscho due to injury frown

Re: The Boxing Thread! [Re: Yogi Barrabbas] #545071
06/15/09 09:49 AM
Silver Spring, Md
I
ibarramedia Offline
Made Member
ibarramedia  Offline
I
Made Member
Silver Spring, Md
Miguel Cotto overcomes cut, wins split decision against Joshua Clottey

Miguel Cotto gave thousands of his cheering fans exactly what they hoped for on the eve of the national Puerto Rican Day parade.
Overcoming an early cut from an accidental headbutt and several brutal rounds from Joshua Clottey, the popular Cotto fought to a narrow split decision Saturday night inside a packed Madison Square Garden, retaining his WBO welterweight title.
With blood pouring down his face from the third round on, the pride of Caguas and the roughly 800,000 New Yorkers who trace their roots to his island nation threw his arms up at the end of a close and exhilarating bout that left both fighters battered.
Referee Don Trella scored the fight 116-111 and John McKaie 115-112, both for Cotto, while Tom Miller had it 114-113 for Clottey. A mega fight with Pound for pound champion Manny Pacquiao looms next.

That was a tough fight. But that is how I envsioned it... Cotto and Clottey would batter each other and it would come down to a split decision. They are both warriors.

Re: The Boxing Thread! [Re: ibarramedia] #545072
Silver Spring, Md
I
ibarramedia Offline
Made Member
ibarramedia  Offline
I
Made Member
Silver Spring, Md

Re: The Boxing Thread! [Re: ibarramedia] #545073
06/15/09 09:51 AM
06/15/09 09:51 AM
Silver Spring, Md
I
ibarramedia Offline
Made Member
ibarramedia  Offline
I
Made Member
Silver Spring, Md
The highly anticipated July 18 fight between Floyd Mayweather and Juan Manuel Marquez has been postponed due to a rib injury sustained by Mayweather while training. The mega-fight was scheduled to take place at MGM Grand in Las Vegas and be televised live on HBO Pay-Per-View.

There is a possibility that the fight will be moved to August 8.

Two weeks ago my source told me:

"Golden Boy Promotion has to make a major decision this coming weeks for profit reasons. The proposed mega ppv fights between pbf vs. marquez is not selling well not only in tickets but also to the regular boxing sponsors tecate, cervesa and budwieser who doesnt like to back up the fight. Even the MGM grand didn't hold even a single ticket for the fight for their retail selling with hotel accomodation, while before the MGM always wanted to buy all the tickets in any major bout. According to Brad, less than 300 tickets has been sold as of this time. And theres no indication that it will surpass to 1,000 tickets this weekend. A very dismal showing for a mega fight or a ppv fight. So GBP is planning to move the schedule to August 8 and instead of PPV it will be shown for free viewing.

GBP is not new to this problem, in two weeks or three GBP will have a major announcement to move the fight because of injury to either marquez or mayweather as the reason to move the fight. They always done this every time they smell something wrong at the box office."

I took this with a grain of salt and was even skeptical. But now it makes sense considering the postponement of the fight.

Re: The Boxing Thread! [Re: ibarramedia] #545075
06/15/09 10:04 AM
06/15/09 10:04 AM
Silver Spring, Md
I
ibarramedia Offline
Made Member
ibarramedia  Offline
I
Made Member
Silver Spring, Md
On the Cotto-Clottey undercard, It's a technical draw on the 6th round of the Ivan Calderon-Rodel Mayol fight. Ivan Calderon had too many cuts because of accidental headbutts and the score was pretty even on three judges per doctor's advice to stop the fight.

Re: The Boxing Thread! [Re: ibarramedia] #545076
06/15/09 10:05 AM
06/15/09 10:05 AM
Silver Spring, Md
I
ibarramedia Offline
Made Member
ibarramedia  Offline
I
Made Member
Silver Spring, Md

Re: The Boxing Thread! [Re: ibarramedia] #545096
06/15/09 11:40 AM
06/15/09 11:40 AM
Newcastle-upon-Tyne UK
Yogi Barrabbas Offline
Yogi Barrabbas  Offline

Newcastle-upon-Tyne UK
Nasty cut for Cotto...but he is a brave boy.

I wonder if he fancies a dance with Manny? smile

Re: The Boxing Thread! [Re: Yogi Barrabbas] #545159
06/15/09 08:46 PM
06/15/09 08:46 PM
Silver Spring, Md
I
ibarramedia Offline
Made Member
ibarramedia  Offline
I
Made Member
Silver Spring, Md
Bob Arum orginally said that Manny would fight on October 17. Now I think they are negotiating for the fight even as we speak. The main things being discussed are the weight and the purse/split. The fight is tentative for November 14. More than enough time for Miguel Cotto's cut to heal.

Re: The Boxing Thread! [Re: ibarramedia] #545198
06/16/09 10:20 AM
06/16/09 10:20 AM
Newcastle-upon-Tyne UK
Yogi Barrabbas Offline
Yogi Barrabbas  Offline

Newcastle-upon-Tyne UK
Manny v Cotto is another great fight. I thought Manny would fight Mosley next but who cares?

They are both great match ups!

Re: The Boxing Thread! [Re: Yogi Barrabbas] #545564
06/20/09 01:19 PM
06/20/09 01:19 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
Manny seems invincible.
I thought Cotto won, and that it was close enough that the majority decision was justified.

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.
Re: The Boxing Thread! [Re: Turnbull] #545824
06/22/09 11:06 AM
06/22/09 11:06 AM
Newcastle-upon-Tyne UK
Yogi Barrabbas Offline
Yogi Barrabbas  Offline

Newcastle-upon-Tyne UK
I see big Wlad snore bored his way to victory over Chagaev!!!

I watched it, it was very tiresome!!

Re: The Boxing Thread! [Re: Yogi Barrabbas] #546620
06/27/09 11:19 AM
06/27/09 11:19 AM
Happy Valley
Freddie C. Offline
Underboss
Freddie C.  Offline
Underboss
Happy Valley
The video game "Fight Night Round 4" came out this week. It has a lot of the best boxers, past and current and the graphics are great. I just started a legacy mode with Tommy Hearns. I would definitely recommend to anyone here with PS3 or x-box 360.

Re: The Boxing Thread! [Re: Freddie C.] #546710
06/28/09 01:56 AM
06/28/09 01:56 AM
My own world.
whisper Offline OP
Underboss
whisper  Offline OP
Underboss
My own world.
^^^ Great Game

I'm loving the new season of "The Contender". But Tony Danza as the host WTF???

The hero and the coward both feel the same thing, but the hero uses his fear, projects it onto his opponent, while the coward runs. It's the same thing, fear, but it's what you do with it that matters. Cus D'Amato
Re: The Boxing Thread! [Re: whisper] #547262
07/02/09 11:50 AM
07/02/09 11:50 AM
Happy Valley
Freddie C. Offline
Underboss
Freddie C.  Offline
Underboss
Happy Valley
I thought the most recent season of The Contender was ok, but I wasn't thrilled about the focus on Cruiserweights. I'm just not a fan of that division. I view Cruiserweights as guys who aren't man enough to fight heavyweights. Before the creation of the division, Heavyweights like Joe Louis and Muhammad Ali fought around 200 lbs and did pretty well against bigger guys. Any legit Cruiserweight needs to man up and fight in boxing's top division (like David Haye did, or at least was until he pulled out of his fight with W.Klitschko).

Page 10 of 14 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 13 14