GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (Toodoped), 351 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,452
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 23,858
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,510
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,313
Posts1,058,429
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
"That fat clemenza" #491163
06/03/08 08:59 AM
06/03/08 08:59 AM
Berlin, Germany
Danito Offline OP
Underboss
Danito  Offline OP
Underboss
Berlin, Germany
Sol to Tom: "You gotta talk to the caporegimes, that Tessio and that fat Clemenza."
Isn't that a little disrespectful at amoment when he wants to appear reasonable?
(In the book he doesn't mention the caporegimes.)

Re: "That fat clemenza" [Re: Danito] #491166
06/03/08 09:05 AM
06/03/08 09:05 AM
New York
SC Offline
Consigliere
SC  Offline
Consigliere

New York
I've always thought that line was added to help the audience recognize whom Sollozzo was talking about (Clemenza).

Re: "That fat clemenza" [Re: Danito] #491167
06/03/08 09:07 AM
06/03/08 09:07 AM
With Geary in Fredo's Brothel
dontomasso Offline
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline
Consigliere to the Stars

Sol doesn't respect the Corleones at all. He thinks he can muscle his way into the family by killing Vito. He derides Clemenza as "fat," and then when he is suposed to be making nice with Michael one of the first things he does is insult his brother Santino saying "I hope you're not a hothead like your brother....you can't talk business with him." Then at dinner he insults Vito by saying he is old fashioned and not in tune with the times. He is even unrepentent about the assassination attempt....saying "I missed my chance."

"Io sono stanco, sono imbigliato, and I wan't everyone here to know, there ain't gonna be no trouble from me..Don Corleone..Cicc' a port!"

"I stood in the courtroom like a fool."

"I am Constanza: Lord of the idiots."

Re: "That fat clemenza" [Re: dontomasso] #491215
06/03/08 01:46 PM
06/03/08 01:46 PM
Huntsville, AL
FrankWhite Offline
Capo
FrankWhite  Offline
Capo
Huntsville, AL
Originally Posted By: dontomasso
Sol doesn't respect the Corleones at all. He thinks he can muscle his way into the family by killing Vito. He derides Clemenza as "fat," and then when he is suposed to be making nice with Michael one of the first things he does is insult his brother Santino saying "I hope you're not a hothead like your brother....you can't talk business with him." Then at dinner he insults Vito by saying he is old fashioned and not in tune with the times. He is even unrepentent about the assassination attempt....saying "I missed my chance."

DonT... while I agree with you, I think he's more trying to show Tom that the corleones are in less control and he's in more control than what Tom's biased opinion may render, and he sees them (the caporegimes) as "small fries" in the grand scheme of things. Afterall... Sol was kinda right in some regard... he is being backed by the second (if not the first, to be frank) most powerfull family in NY, and he's already hit the head of the Corleone family. so he MUST be "smelling himself" and knowing that he is now in a very powerful position.

"From now on, nothing goes down unless I'm involved. No blackjack no dope deals, no nothing. A nickel bag gets sold in the park, I want in. You guys got fat while everybody starved on the street. Now it's my turn." (King of New York)
Re: "That fat clemenza" [Re: FrankWhite] #491235
06/03/08 02:58 PM
06/03/08 02:58 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
I think he was trying to create common ground with Tom at that point. I consider "fat Clemenza" in the same vein as Sol telling Tom, "the Don...was slippin'." He was trying to create an impression with Tom that the Corleones (but not Tom) were weak and old fashioned, and that the future belonged to him--and to Tom, who he would consider a partner in the drugs business.

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.
Re: "That fat clemenza" [Re: Turnbull] #491241
06/03/08 03:07 PM
06/03/08 03:07 PM
Huntsville, AL
FrankWhite Offline
Capo
FrankWhite  Offline
Capo
Huntsville, AL
yeah... that's it TB! you're exactly right. he just wanted to relate to Tom (whether it was sincere or not) to get what he wanted.

"From now on, nothing goes down unless I'm involved. No blackjack no dope deals, no nothing. A nickel bag gets sold in the park, I want in. You guys got fat while everybody starved on the street. Now it's my turn." (King of New York)
Re: "That fat clemenza" [Re: FrankWhite] #491244
06/03/08 03:11 PM
06/03/08 03:11 PM
Palm Bay, Florida
Santino Brasi Offline
The Don's Official Sooth Sayer
Santino Brasi  Offline
Underboss
Palm Bay, Florida
I aways thought that "Fat" Clemenza was his nickname, I always read that Fat was his nickname

He - (Simón Bolívar) - was shaken by the overwhelming revelation that the headlong race between his misfortunes and his dreams was at that moment reaching the finishing line. The rest was darkness. "Damn it," He sighed. "How will I ever get out of this labyrinth!"

So what’s the labyrinth?

That’s the mystery isn’t it? Is the labyrinth living or dying? Which is he trying to escape - the world, or, the end of it?
Re: "That fat clemenza" [Re: Turnbull] #491259
06/03/08 03:55 PM
06/03/08 03:55 PM
dontomasso Offline
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline
Consigliere to the Stars

Originally Posted By: Turnbull
I think he was trying to create common ground with Tom at that point. I consider "fat Clemenza" in the same vein as Sol telling Tom, "the Don...was slippin'." He was trying to create an impression with Tom that the Corleones (but not Tom) were weak and old fashioned, and that the future belonged to him--and to Tom, who he would consider a partner in the drugs business.

I don't think he wanted Tom as a partner any more than he wanted Sonny. What he wanted was to muscle his way into the Corleone family, break it up and pick up the pieces.
If he was trying to con Tom at that meeting I think he failed. As bad a wartime consigliere as Tom may have been, he wasn't THAT stupid.

"Io sono stanco, sono imbigliato, and I wan't everyone here to know, there ain't gonna be no trouble from me..Don Corleone..Cicc' a port!"

Re: "That fat clemenza" [Re: dontomasso] #491275
06/03/08 04:42 PM
06/03/08 04:42 PM
Huntsville, AL
FrankWhite Offline
Capo
FrankWhite  Offline
Capo
Huntsville, AL
well... DT, did he really fail? He really didn't have any "convincing" to do on Tom, being that they were already in agreement about the issue in the first place.

Re: "That fat clemenza" [Re: FrankWhite] #491297
06/03/08 06:23 PM
06/03/08 06:23 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
Originally Posted By: FrankWhite
well... DT, did he really fail? He really didn't have any "convincing" to do on Tom, being that they were already in agreement about the issue in the first place.

I agree, Frank. Plus, he actually did what Sol asked him to do. Sol wanted him to convince all to make the deal. He said, "I'll try." He meant it. After he found out Vito had survived, he told Sonny, "If your father dies, you make the deal."

Re: "That fat clemenza" [Re: Turnbull] #491364
06/04/08 09:56 AM
06/04/08 09:56 AM
Huntsville, AL
FrankWhite Offline
Capo
FrankWhite  Offline
Capo
Huntsville, AL
Originally Posted By: FrankWhite

I agree, Frank. Plus, he actually did what Sol asked him to do. Sol wanted him to convince all to make the deal. He said, "I'll try." He meant it. After he found out Vito had survived, he told Sonny, "If your father dies, you make the deal."

exactly TB... Tom had the mind that "this is business, not personal".

Re: "That fat clemenza" [Re: FrankWhite] #491459
06/04/08 07:07 PM
06/04/08 07:07 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
Yes, it was disrespectful as Sollozzo intended it. They're all scum anyway. But at that point Sollozzo thinks that Vito is dead and it's just a matter of making the necessary drug business arrangments. So, he makes disparaging references to small potatos.

"Generosity. That was my first mistake."
"Experience must be our only guide; reason may mislead us."
"Instagram is Twitter for people who can't read."
Re: "That fat clemenza" [Re: olivant] #495053
06/23/08 03:08 AM
06/23/08 03:08 AM
Miami, FL
Don Andrew Offline
Underboss
Don Andrew  Offline
Underboss
Miami, FL
I just thought "Fat Clemenza" was a nickname.

Hey, how's it going?
Re: "That fat clemenza" [Re: Santino Brasi] #495070
06/23/08 06:23 AM
06/23/08 06:23 AM
South of the Pinelands
MaryCas Offline
MaryCas  Offline

South of the Pinelands
Originally Posted By: Santino_Brasi
I aways thought that "Fat" Clemenza was his nickname, I always read that Fat was his nickname

On the FBI's Family Organization Chart, Peter Clemenza's nickname is Fat Clemenza. Sollozzo's use of the nickname could have just been a way to show Tom that he was familiar with the street names and habits of the Corleone family. In a small way a show of strength - knowledge is power.

Whoever exalts himself will be humbled, whoever humbles himself will be exalted - Matthew 23:12
Re: "That fat clemenza" [Re: MaryCas] #495152
06/23/08 11:47 AM
06/23/08 11:47 AM
dontomasso Offline
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline
Consigliere to the Stars

Originally Posted By: MaryCas

On the FBI's Family Organization Chart, Peter Clemenza's nickname is Fat Clemenza. Sollozzo's use of the nickname could have just been a way to show Tom that he was familiar with the street names and habits of the Corleone family. In a small way a show of strength - knowledge is power.

Interesting that Sollozzo knew Fredo was a non-starter, and assumed Michael was a "civilian," because when he refers to them he mentions them merely as the other kids. I assume Connie did not count because women were not directly involved in mob operations back in the day.

Re: "That fat clemenza" [Re: MaryCas] #495162
06/23/08 01:15 PM
06/23/08 01:15 PM
Huntsville, AL
FrankWhite Offline
Capo
FrankWhite  Offline
Capo
Huntsville, AL

hey... that's a really good observation and assessment. I think this is the answer! I never recognized that his name is "Fat Clemenza" on the chart (despite it being my screensaver for so long lol) although that could, very well, be a back-filled reference to relate to the audience who's familiar with the infamous speech by Sollozo... hmmm???

Re: "That fat clemenza" [Re: FrankWhite] #495402
06/24/08 11:23 PM
06/24/08 11:23 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
Remember, Sollozzo says "that fat Clemenza." So, he's use fat as a derogatory adjective.

Re: "That fat clemenza" [Re: olivant] #495495
06/25/08 10:28 AM
06/25/08 10:28 AM
Huntsville, AL
FrankWhite Offline
Capo
FrankWhite  Offline
Capo
Huntsville, AL
yeah oliv... I remember that, and I agree... I think it's just a way to flex muscle and show power by belittling (sp?) Clemenza

Re: "That fat clemenza" [Re: FrankWhite] #495535
06/25/08 11:48 AM
06/25/08 11:48 AM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
No question about that.
As for FFC listing "Fat Clemenza" in the family chart shown at the Senate hearing:

If you can look closely at the chart (SC has posted it here many times, and it appears on p. 215 of Lebo's book), you'll see that FFC was having some fun with the names and identities he listed. For example, his father's photo appears over the name "Carmine Coranda, alias The Plunge." A young guy, looking suspiciously like FFC in a high school photo, is listed as "Francis Forducci, alias The Kid." The same photo, flopped and blurry, appears over the name, "Gaetano Sirillo." And "Salvatore Plumari's" alias is "Sally Pee."

Of course, "Fat Clemenza's" photo doesn't appear on the chart because Paramount and Richard Castellano couldn't come to terms. So, perhaps, FFC was taking a shot at the recalcitrant Castellano by listing him as "Fat Clemenza." tongue

Re: "That fat clemenza" [Re: Turnbull] #495691
06/26/08 08:50 AM
06/26/08 08:50 AM
South of the Pinelands
MaryCas Offline
MaryCas  Offline

South of the Pinelands
No question about that.
Of course, "Fat Clemenza's" photo doesn't appear on the chart because Paramount and Richard Castellano couldn't come to terms. So, perhaps, FFC was taking a shot at the recalcitrant Castellano by listing him as "Fat Clemenza." tongue

TB, maybe you can confirm my thought.......Although I pointed out the "Fat Clemenza" nickname on the org chart, I always thought that it was a derogatory nickname, and the Mafia didn't do that. Nicknames were given for prominent features, such as, Vincent "Chin" Gigante, and various skills, abilities, or derivations.

Whoever exalts himself will be humbled, whoever humbles himself will be exalted - Matthew 23:12
Re: "That fat clemenza" [Re: MaryCas] #495786
06/26/08 06:20 PM
06/26/08 06:20 PM
Carmine Cuneo's Turf
Montauk Offline
Made Member
Montauk  Offline
Made Member
Carmine Cuneo's Turf
I always read these scenes as Tom not giving a rat's behind about Sollozzo so much as being scared sleepless about a unified Five Families knocking at the door.

Montauk

We might be able to tape the gun behind it.
Re: "That fat clemenza" [Re: MaryCas] #495828
06/26/08 09:45 PM
06/26/08 09:45 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
No question about that.

TB, maybe you can confirm my thought.......Although I pointed out the "Fat Clemenza" nickname on the org chart, I always thought that it was a derogatory nickname, and the Mafia didn't do that. Nicknames were given for prominent features, such as, Vincent "Chin" Gigante, and various skills, abilities, or derivations.

MC, I think that's true. But the issue is: who's giving the names listed in a law enforcement family chart--the Mob or the cops or the media? For example, if you looked at a Columbo Family chart of, say, 25 years ago, you might see Carmine Persico listed as either "Junior" (his nickname in the family) or "the Snake" (how the media and the cops referred to him). Joe Profaci's name on charts was "The Old Man," hardly a sobriquet he'd apply to himself, or tolerate within the family.

Re: "That fat clemenza" [Re: MaryCas] #495834
06/26/08 10:00 PM
06/26/08 10:00 PM
Palm Bay, Florida
Santino Brasi Offline
Santino Brasi  Offline
Underboss
Palm Bay, Florida
No question about that.

Have you seen Clemenza? I would most certainly say his size his him most prominent feature

He - (Simón Bolívar) - was shaken by the overwhelming revelation that the headlong race between his misfortunes and his dreams was at that moment reaching the finishing line. The rest was darkness. "Damn it," He sighed. "How will I ever get out of this labyrinth!"

So what’s the labyrinth?

That’s the mystery isn’t it? Is the labyrinth living or dying? Which is he trying to escape - the world, or, the end of it?
Re: "That fat clemenza" [Re: Santino Brasi] #495855
06/26/08 11:17 PM
06/26/08 11:17 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
Well, reagrdless of any charts, I think that Sollozzo used the word in a derogatory way. He could have just as easily said "that idiot Clemenza" or "that skinny-assed Tessio" or "that psycho Sonny." The writers put that line in there to represent Sollozzo contempt for who he considered an enemy. Obviously, Clemenza's girth jumps right out at you if you are looking for a derogation term.

Re: "That fat clemenza" [Re: Santino Brasi] #495975
06/27/08 06:31 AM
06/27/08 06:31 AM
South of the Pinelands
MaryCas Offline
MaryCas  Offline

South of the Pinelands
No question about that.

Have you seen Clemenza? I would most certainly say his size his him most prominent feature

Clemenza is the one who limps, right? wink Clemenza's girth is certainly prominent, but calling him FAT could be derogatory. Unless you have examples of derogatory nicknames,like Tony "Zit Face" Goombah, or Willie "Shit-For-Brains" Pasta, I can't think of any off hand. Now if it was Big Pete Clemenza, that is nicer way of saying FAT.

Re: "That fat clemenza" [Re: MaryCas] #496006
06/27/08 09:49 AM
06/27/08 09:49 AM
dontomasso Offline
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline
Consigliere to the Stars

"Crazy" Joey Gallo wasn't exactly a complimentary nickname.

Re: "That fat clemenza" [Re: MaryCas] #496049
06/27/08 01:31 PM
06/27/08 01:31 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
[quote=Turnbull]No question about that.

Clemenza is the one who limps, right? wink Clemenza's girth is certainly prominent, but calling him FAT could be derogatory. Unless you have examples of derogatory nicknames,like Tony "Zit Face" Goombah, or Willie "Shit-For-Brains" Pasta, I can't think of any off hand. Now if it was Big Pete Clemenza, that is nicer way of saying FAT. [/quote]

Clemenza did not limp. Rocco limped.

Last edited by olivant; 06/27/08 01:32 PM.

Re: "That fat clemenza" [Re: dontomasso] #496241
06/28/08 11:30 AM
06/28/08 11:30 AM
South of the Pinelands
MaryCas Offline
MaryCas  Offline

South of the Pinelands
Originally Posted By: dontomasso
"Crazy" Joey Gallo wasn't exactly a complimentary nickname.

Good one!

BTW, Olivant....didn't you notice the wink? I know Rocco limped. I was making a kidding point about an earlier post. smile

Re: "That fat clemenza" [Re: MaryCas] #496312
06/28/08 09:24 PM
06/28/08 09:24 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
Mai, no.