GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
2 registered members (m2w, 1 invisible), 258 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,497
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 23,930
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,512
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,337
Posts1,058,865
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 45 of 47 1 2 43 44 45 46 47
Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion, Part II [Re: The Italian Stallionette] #608027
07/16/11 07:48 AM
07/16/11 07:48 AM
MI
Lilo Offline
Lilo  Offline

MI
Originally Posted By: The Italian Stallionette
FX is showing "The Taking Of Pelham 1 2 3 remake with Denzel Washington & John Travolta. So far it's pretty good. Anyone else see it? I've never seen the original so can't compare.

smile
TIS

I saw it. I preferred the original. It was darker. But the Washington-Travolta remake was ok.

"When the snows fall and the white winds blow, the lone wolf dies but the pack survives."
Winter is Coming

Now this is the Law of the Jungle—as old and as true as the sky; And the wolf that shall keep it may prosper, but the wolf that shall break it must die.
As the creeper that girdles the tree-trunk, the Law runneth forward and back; For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack.
Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion, Part II [Re: Lilo] #608053
07/16/11 12:49 PM
07/16/11 12:49 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
Nothing tops the original "Pelham"--one of the best and most under-appreciated action films.

I re-watched "Crimes and Misdemeanors" last night. I'm not a big Woody Allen fan, but this was his best and most ambitious film. Brilliant.

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.
Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion, Part II [Re: Turnbull] #608069
07/16/11 02:17 PM
07/16/11 02:17 PM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
Originally Posted By: Turnbull
I re-watched "Crimes and Misdemeanors" last night. I'm not a big Woody Allen fan, but this was his best and most ambitious film. Brilliant.

Very dark comedy, TB. I thought Allen really proved he could go in another direction with that film.

Martin Landau is so understatedly brilliant in everything he does, it's a travesty he only won one Oscar (for "Ed Wood"). I thought he deserved another as Matt Damon's law professor in "Rounders."

"I got news for you. If it wasn't for the toilet, there would be no books." --- George Costanza.
Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion, Part II [Re: pizzaboy] #608071
07/16/11 03:12 PM
07/16/11 03:12 PM
California
The Italian Stallionette Offline
The Italian Stallionette  Offline

California
I have never been able to get into Woody Allen. I've only seen a couple of his films but he's simply not funny to me. If I see his name in a movie it's an automatic, I'm not interested. confused

TIS

Last edited by The Italian Stallionette; 07/16/11 03:13 PM.

"Mankind must put an end to war before war puts an end to mankind. War will exist until that distant day when the conscientious objector enjoys the same reputation and prestige that the warrior does today." JFK

"War is over, if you want it" - John Lennon

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion, Part II [Re: The Italian Stallionette] #608221
07/17/11 10:37 PM
07/17/11 10:37 PM
New York
Sicilian Babe Offline
Sicilian Babe  Offline

New York
Anyone remember Mommie Dearest? And, what ever happened to Christina Crawford?

TIS

TIS, you got me curious, so I googled her. According to Wikipedia, she had a near-fatal stroke in 1981, and started a bed and breakfast after rehab.

President Emeritus of the Neal Pulcawer Fan Club
Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion, Part II [Re: Sicilian Babe] #608222
07/17/11 10:47 PM
07/17/11 10:47 PM
California

California
A stroke? Wow, she couldn't have been that old even in 81. Never really heard much more about her after the scathing book about her mother.

smile

TIS

"Mankind must put an end to war before war puts an end to mankind. War will exist until that distant day when the conscientious objector enjoys the same reputation and prestige that the warrior does today." JFK

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion, Part II [Re: J Geoff] #608537
07/20/11 01:02 PM
07/20/11 01:02 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
Last night I watched much of TCM's 1945 Caesar and Cleopatra with Claude Rains and Vivien Leigh. It also had Michael Renne and Stewart Granger in it. It was kind of a bizarre period piece. The sets were relatively sparse like those of the Silver Chalice with Paul Newman. It was almost like a Shakespeare movie. The leads were superb, but the dialogue was certainly not what you'd expect; much of it was lighthearted. There was no drama to it and I felt like the leads were privy to an inside joke.

"Generosity. That was my first mistake."
"Experience must be our only guide; reason may mislead us."
"Instagram is Twitter for people who can't read."
Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion, Part II [Re: olivant] #608782
07/22/11 07:38 PM
07/22/11 07:38 PM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club
Went to see Captain America today. I really enjoyed it! star star star

If you are a superhero / comic book fan then you'll love this movie.

Tommy Lee Jones steals the movie with his witty one liners.

Word of advice to anyone that plans on seeing this movie: Do not leave when the movie ends. Make sure you stay when the Credits TOTALLY finish rolling to watch the sneak preview trailor.

Don Cardi cool

Five - ten years from now, they're gonna wish there was American Cosa Nostra. Five - ten years from now, they're gonna miss John Gotti.

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion, Part II [Re: J Geoff] #608920
07/24/11 09:05 AM
07/24/11 09:05 AM
M
Mark Offline
Underboss
Mark  Offline
M
Underboss
I can't wait to see this movie! I love the retro 1940's appeal as they did when the made "The Phantom" with Billy Zane - BTW, a super hero movie well made before its time, worth seeing! It also has Treat Williams and a relatively unknown gorgeous brunette named Catherine Zeta Jones. Thanks DC - are you also a closet comic book nerd as I? Did you catch any of the ComicCon coverage?

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion, Part II [Re: J Geoff] #609103
07/26/11 12:03 PM
07/26/11 12:03 PM
Queenstown, New Zealand
NickyScarfo Offline
Underboss
NickyScarfo  Offline
Underboss
Queenstown, New Zealand
Just saw the film "Swingers" again for probably the tenth time. One of my favorite films, a 90s classic, the comedy in it isn't over the top and crude like a lot of movies today. Vince Vaughn is brilliant in it, a break out roll for him, but its also worth noting John Favreau was also good although he's often known today for his work as a director. Anyone else seen swingers?

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion, Part II [Re: The Italian Stallionette] #609147
07/26/11 06:46 PM
07/26/11 06:46 PM
MI
Lilo Offline
Lilo  Offline

MI
I have never been able to get into Woody Allen. I've only seen a couple of his films but he's simply not funny to me. If I see his name in a movie it's an automatic, I'm not interested. confused
TIS

Do you like slapstick?

"When the snows fall and the white winds blow, the lone wolf dies but the pack survives."
Winter is Coming

Now this is the Law of the Jungle—as old and as true as the sky; And the wolf that shall keep it may prosper, but the wolf that shall break it must die.
As the creeper that girdles the tree-trunk, the Law runneth forward and back; For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack.
Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion, Part II [Re: J Geoff] #609148
07/26/11 06:52 PM
07/26/11 06:52 PM
MI
Lilo Offline
Lilo  Offline

MI
Insidious
I just watched this film.
Many modern horror films go for the gross out. Usually this involves buckets of blood and/or torture. I don't often like those sorts of films. So it was surprising that the creators of Saw could also make a throwback horror film like Insidious, which is full of such cliched but still effective moves like jump cuts, wide shots from above, creepy sounds in the dark and being alone in a dark house and thinking you saw something move. Really one of the most frightening things is to be alone or to lose control. When you go to sleep at night what are the noises that you hear? Is it just the house settling? If you dream is that just as real as what's going on during your waking hours? Insidious uses these fears quite well for the first 2/3rds of the film. It also gives a nod to classic horror themes explored in HP Lovecraft's The DreamQuest of Unknown Kaddath.

A writer/musician and her school teacher husband move into a really nice and older appearing home. They have three kids, two boys and a girl. They are still in the process of unpacking but the wife notices that some things are either lost or are moved from where she put them. She gradually comes to have more of a sense of unease with this house. Her husband ignores her feelings but he's having strange blackouts of his own. And their oldest son seems to be the most changed by the house.

After a few paranormal events which even her husband can't ignore the family flees the house. But that doesn't end the issues. Good stuff. It's a lost art of making you jump or look over your shoulder in horror films and this film shows that some people still have it. The last third of the film ups the ante quite a bit with regard to special effects and such. It loses a little of the dread that the first portion of the film had. B movie star Lin Shaye also appears as a paranormal investigator.

Winter is Coming

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion, Part II [Re: J Geoff] #609151
07/26/11 07:04 PM
07/26/11 07:04 PM
MI
Lilo Offline
Lilo  Offline

MI
Lincoln Lawyer
This was a so-so drama starring Matthew McConaghey as Mick Haller in the title role. Mick's a defense lawyer who doesn't mind stretching the rules in order to defend his client. He does quite a lot of business from the backseat of his Town Car and demands cash upfront.

Mick's hired to defend a wealthy young man (Ryan Phillipe) accused of attempted rape. But of course things aren't what they seem and Mick finds himself trying to solve old crimes, defend his client, uphold justice system ethics, protect his family, stay alive and stay out of jail all at the same time. Interesting but most of the story twists were telegraphed way ahead of time. No real surprises. The story ran a little long but it wasn't the worst way to spend 2 hrs. This film also had Michael Pena, William Macy, Marisa Tomei, John Leguizamo, and Trace Adkins.

Winter is Coming

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion, Part II [Re: Lilo] #609154
07/26/11 07:18 PM
07/26/11 07:18 PM
California

California
Originally Posted By: Lilo
TIS

Do you like slapstick?

Hey Lilo! smile

Hmmm I guess mostly no. I know I'm very outnumbered here but I have never been a Three Stooges fan but I do love the Marx Brothers.

Years ago (in the 70's) my husband and I went to see "Sleeper" Woody Allen's new movie at the time. We went with another couple. They were cracking up during the whole film. Both my husband and I didn't get the appeal and didn't laugh at all. confused Honest though, I DO have a sense of humor. tongue

TIS

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion, Part II [Re: The Italian Stallionette] #609157
07/26/11 07:31 PM
07/26/11 07:31 PM
MI
Lilo Offline
Lilo  Offline

MI
Originally Posted By: Lilo
TIS

Do you like slapstick?

Hey Lilo! smile

Hmmm I guess mostly no. I know I'm very outnumbered here but I have never been a Three Stooges fan but I do love the Marx Brothers.

Years ago (in the 70's) my husband and I went to see "Sleeper" Woody Allen's new movie at the time. We went with another couple. They were cracking up during the whole film. Both my husband and I didn't get the appeal and didn't laugh at all. confused Honest though, I DO have a sense of humor. tongue
TIS

I'm not the biggest Allen fan but his early movie "Take The Money And Run" had a lot of slapstick and Borscht Belt humor although the film was uneven and choppy.

After five minutes he knew he was going to marry this girl. And after fifteen minutes he completely gave up the idea of stealing her purse. lol
But YMMV of course. To each her own.

Winter is Coming

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion, Part II [Re: J Geoff] #609223
07/27/11 06:36 PM
07/27/11 06:36 PM
M
Mark Offline
Underboss
Mark  Offline
M
Underboss
LOVE The Marx Brothers! "Duck Soup" is my all time fave!

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion, Part II [Re: Mark] #609226
07/27/11 07:58 PM
07/27/11 07:58 PM
New Orleans, LA
YukonCorneleone Offline
Wiseguy
YukonCorneleone  Offline
Wiseguy
New Orleans, LA
Groucho was the best!...."Last night, I shot an elephant in my pajamas...How he got in my pajamas, I'll never know!" LOL

We watched "Horrible Bosses" the other night. Freaking hysterical! Kevin Spacey plays the best asshole ever. Highly recommend it.
And hey, Jennifer Anniston is nasty and sexy in it, so there you go....worth the price of admission! wink

"You don't make up for your sins in church. You do it in the
streets. You do it at home. The rest is bullshit and you know it."
----Mean Streets---

"Business bad? Fuck you, pay me. Oh, you had a fire? Fuck you
pay me. Place got hit by lightning huh? Fuck you, pay me. It was
beautiful!". ---Henry Hill in "Goodfellas"
Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion, Part II [Re: J Geoff] #610080
08/07/11 10:00 AM
08/07/11 10:00 AM
MI
Lilo Offline
Lilo  Offline

MI
Ironclad
written and directed by Jonathan English.

This is about the 1215 siege of Rochester Castle. King John was extremely aggrieved at being forced to sign the Magna Carta. If a King could be limited by men and the King got his authority from the Church and God, then the Magna Carta was not only treasonous but blasphemous. That was King John's (Paul Giamatti) attitude anyway, and he was sticking to it. Giamatti chews up the scenery but it's fun.

So King John decides to travel across Britan with a group of Danish mercenaries finding the various barons or other leaders who forced him to sign the document. When he catches them he just completely ruins their day. When the King asks you if that's your signature on the document, the correct answer is no. whistle

The final castle that King John has to subdue is Rochester. The King is opposed by Baron Albany (Brian Cox) and a small group of warriors (sort of a Magnificent Seven) that Cox finds around England in a kind of Blues Brothers "We're putting the band back together" montage. These guys aren't really that well fleshed out but they don't need to be. There's a young naive squire, a rambunctious brawler, a fellow who's only in it for the money, a ladies man, an old guy ready for One Last Assignment, an archer, etc.

The lead guy and deadliest warrior is a Knight Templar named Marshall (James Purefoy). Marshall doesn't say much and is haunted by atrocities he committed on crusade.

These fellows get to Castle Rochester, kill King John's scouts who were there and organize the castle to resist, over the objections of the castellan, the pragmatic Cornhill (Derek Jacobi). Cornhill has a loveless marriage with a young wife (Kate Mara) who almost immediately shows interest in the celibacy sworn Marshall. I mean like she goes into heat. rolleyes
This role was supposed to have been played by Megan Fox but small as it is I thought Mara did a good job with it.

King John's forces show up and the REAL bloodletting begins. We're already seen hints of what Marshall can do but he kicks it up several notches. This is an extremely violent movie. I have new respect for what a five and half-foot Templar sword can do. Some might find this either cartoonish or disturbing. The film doesn't hold back. It uses that "Saving Private Ryan" shooting style for a lot of the battle scenes. Charles Dance (Tywin Lannister for Game of Thrones fans) has a small part.

Winter is Coming

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion, Part II [Re: Lilo] #610081
08/07/11 10:25 AM
08/07/11 10:25 AM
California
X
XDCX Offline
XDCX  Offline
X

California
My girlfriend and I went to see RISE OF THE PLANET OF THE APES on Friday. As suggested by the title, it is an origin story. It is about a researcher (James Franco) who has been working on a vaccine for Alzheimer's. Naturally, the drug is being tested on chimps, and the results show that not only does the drug repair brain damage, it IMPROVES cognitive functions. From here, it's pretty easy to see where this is headed, so I'll leave the story bits at that.

As to whether or not it was a good film, the answer is an emphatic no. It was, in fact, A GREAT FILM! The story is pretty heavy (for a summer blockbuster), and the special effects are among the best I have ever seen. They are so good, you actually develop an emotional investment in the apes, and by the 2nd half you're rooting for them! Forget the Tim Burton remake (which wasn't bad, but not great either), and see this movie!

"Growing up my dad was like 'You have a great last name, Galifianakis. Galifianakis...begins with a gal...and ends with a kiss...' I'm like that's great dad, can we get it changed to 'Galifianafuck' please?" -- Zach Galifianakis

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion, Part II [Re: XDCX] #610083
08/07/11 10:29 AM
08/07/11 10:29 AM
California

California
X,

Thanks for the review. smile I really had no intention of seeing it (be it theater or HBO)until I saw the previews last week and found it really intriguing. The apes looks a little to the creepy side (more so than the other ape films.) And from what I saw the effects did look good.

TIS

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion, Part II [Re: Lilo] #611250
08/16/11 03:02 PM
08/16/11 03:02 PM
Newcastle-upon-Tyne UK
Yogi Barrabbas Offline
Yogi Barrabbas  Offline

Newcastle-upon-Tyne UK
Just watched THE OTHER GUYS with Will Ferrell and Mark Wahlberg. Now i like Wahlberg a lot and usually have a chuckle at Ferrell but this was dire, utter shit panic

I would rather die on my feet than live on my knees!
Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion, Part II [Re: Yogi Barrabbas] #611272
08/16/11 05:02 PM
08/16/11 05:02 PM
M
Mark Offline
Underboss
Mark  Offline
M
Underboss
Originally Posted By: Yogi Barrabbas
Just watched THE OTHER GUYS with Will Ferrell and Mark Wahlberg. Now i like Wahlberg a lot and usually have a chuckle at Ferrell but this was dire, utter shit panic

Yogi, all you have to say in order for me NOT to watch a movie is to tell me that Will Ferrell is in it. Other than "Elf", that man should not make movies. I don't get it as to why he is considered funny. panic

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion, Part II [Re: J Geoff] #611309
08/16/11 11:28 PM
08/16/11 11:28 PM
New York
Sicilian Babe Offline
Sicilian Babe  Offline

New York
It was complete, utter shit, and I couldn't help but laugh my ass off. And of course, Jeter had a cameo, so maybe that had something to do with it. tongue

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion, Part II [Re: J Geoff] #612669
08/28/11 01:29 PM
08/28/11 01:29 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
Hey TIS, you watched Unstoppable. Did I miss something? At the end, why was Ned in front of the microphone instead of the two guys who actually stopped the train? I thought that was odd.

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion, Part II [Re: olivant] #612670
08/28/11 02:04 PM
08/28/11 02:04 PM
California

California
Oli,

The two heroes were more or less in the background in the end, weren't they? I guess I kind of dismissed it at the time, but it would have made for a more climatic ending to attribute more due praise to the two heroes.

Maybe that's just one reason why I found this film to be only average/so-so. confused

TIS

Last edited by The Italian Stallionette; 08/28/11 02:04 PM.

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion, Part II [Re: The Italian Stallionette] #612970
08/30/11 07:54 PM
08/30/11 07:54 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
Actually, I thought it was somewhat exciting. 16 million tons of train - that's quite alot to stop at 70 mph.

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion, Part II [Re: J Geoff] #613182
08/31/11 11:42 AM
08/31/11 11:42 AM
New York
Sicilian Babe Offline
Sicilian Babe  Offline

New York
If anyone can do it, it's Denzel! lol

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion, Part II [Re: J Geoff] #613197
08/31/11 01:55 PM
08/31/11 01:55 PM
Brazil
Tony Mosrite Offline
Underboss
Tony Mosrite  Offline
Underboss
Brazil
I recently watched "Spartacus" and as it was the latest film to enter my list of all-time favorites, I felt I had to mention it here.

I did a quick search around GBB and found out it's been quietly praised here and there but I don't recall seeing a real discussion about it.

Laurence Olivier's performance as Crassus was just overwhelming, one of the best I've ever seen and the battle scene when the Roman army is lining up its legions against the slaves made me jump out of my chair like few times before. it's crazy to think they did that before CGI and huge special effects.

"I'm just a humble motherfucker with a big ass dick"
The Bunk
Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion, Part II [Re: J Geoff] #613440
09/03/11 01:27 PM
09/03/11 01:27 PM
Brazil
Tony Mosrite Offline
Underboss
Tony Mosrite  Offline
Underboss
Brazil
coincidentally I had to watch another movie starring Kirk Douglas, Billy Wilder's "Ace In The Hole" and I have to thank my sweet teacher Michelle for bringing this one up and making us watch it because otherwise I would never do it.

a great, visionary film that will always be relevant as long as humans behave the way they do.

"I'm just a humble motherfucker with a big ass dick"
The Bunk
Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion, Part II [Re: Tony Mosrite] #613441
09/03/11 01:36 PM
09/03/11 01:36 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
How about 7 Days in May? Have you ever seen it?

Page 45 of 47 1 2 43 44 45 46 47

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull