GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 307 guests, and 6 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,452
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 23,858
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,510
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,313
Posts1,058,444
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Where your from [Re: Don Smitty] #483859
04/13/08 01:05 PM
04/13/08 01:05 PM
OH, VA, KY
Mignon Offline
Mama Mig
Mignon  Offline
Mama Mig

OH, VA, KY
Were you born in Jersey DS?

Dylan Matthew Moran born 10/30/12

Re: Where your from [Re: The Italian Stallionette] #483866
04/13/08 01:47 PM
04/13/08 01:47 PM
New Jersey
AppleOnYa Offline
AppleOnYa  Offline

New Jersey
 Originally Posted By: The Italian Stallionette
Geoff, I can't say I have heard Tom's River before. You've been there all your life? ...

I grew up knowing about Toms River, NJ.

My aunt & uncle moved there early in their marriage almost 60 years ago when it was very sparsely populated. My uncle got a job working for the Garden State Parkway and was somehow able to retire quite comfortably at age 60. He tried to talk my parents into moving us down there, where he could've gotten my 'former marine' father a good job with the police dept. For some reason my dad preferred working in a factory and renting cheap from his in-laws to providing his family a better life and so that never happened.

Anyway, we visited about once a year and as a kid I remember seeing nothing but wooded area behind their backyard...where my Italain uncle planted and still plants tomato/basil/peppers/cucumber etc. annually. I remember passing a few stores and 'Toms River Liquours' on Route 37 on the way to their house. The liquor store was the landmark my father used to know at which jughandle to make the turn.

In the early 1970's other relatives moved down there and by then lots of building and modernizing was going on. That uncle got a good job w/ Toms River Chemical. They started calling our North Jersey area 'The City', because still seemed so quiet & peaceful down there, except of course at tourist time during the summer shore season. Again, our family was beckoned down to take part in the abundant opportunities but not enough motivation to relocate in either of our parents.

Now we drive down there to visit BOTH families and Rte. 37 seems as bustling as any major highway up here. Plenty of businesses, houses and unlike those early days, probably not an acre of undeveloped property!!

And to think...but for a decision that was not mine to make, I could've been a part of it all!!!!

Me???? Born & raised in Palisades Park, NJ...NOT home of the famous 'Palisades Amusement Park', home of the (then) 'World's Largest Saltwater Pool', in which I never got a chance to swim

It which was actually located in Cliffside Park, where high rise apartment buildings now reside.

Did anyone actually get through this streamofconsciousness post?????

Apple

A wise and frugal government, which shall leave men free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned - this is the sum of good government.

- THOMAS JEFFERSON

Re: Where your from [Re: AppleOnYa] #483881
04/13/08 02:31 PM
04/13/08 02:31 PM
New Jersey, USA
J Geoff Offline
The Don
J Geoff  Offline
The Don

New Jersey, USA

It was interesting to me! ;\) My folks moved down here in the early 60's -- a brand new hospital was opened in 1961 (my dad's a retired doctor). (The hospital has grown a lot since then, and is now part of the Saint Barnabas Health Care System). While that was a few years before I was born, I still remember lots of farms and chicken coops (there are still some!), and my mom said the now-major Hooper Avenue going to Bricktown was a dirt road then! \:o We used to have a drive-in theater on Rte 37 many years ago. We now probably have more storage facility places than anywhere on earth it seems. And between here and Manchester probably have as many senior citizen communities as Florida (slight exaggeration).

According to wiki the population was under 8,000 in 1950, over 17,000 ten years later, almost 44,000 by 1970, and estimated to be about 95,000 today. And driving around, it's easy to notice!

Yet, it's still very green here with lots of woods and wildlife (click on the Satellite (Sat) link below and scroll around).

View Larger Map

I studied Italian for 2 semesters. Not once was a "C" pronounced as a "G", and never was a trailing "I" ignored! And I'm from Jersey! tongue lol

Whaddaya want me to do? Whack a guy? Off a guy? Whack off a guy? --Peter Griffin

My DVDs | Facebook | Godfather Filming Locations
Re: Where your from [Re: J Geoff] #483950
04/14/08 03:10 AM
04/14/08 03:10 AM
Sheffield UK
chopper Offline OP
Gaetano Lucchese
chopper  Offline OP
Gaetano Lucchese

Sheffield UK
http://www.judandk.force9.co.uk/worksop.html

A little about the work houses in my area

If i come across the table and take your f*****g eyes out ,will you remember

Aniello Dellacroce

TFI Lucky Star
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=uw-Uw0DUAGo

Happy Hardcore DJ Hixxy
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=4Pv7H4YkFKs
Re: Where your from [Re: chopper] #483969
04/14/08 09:33 AM
04/14/08 09:33 AM
Newcastle-upon-Tyne UK
Yogi Barrabbas Offline
Yogi Barrabbas  Offline

Newcastle-upon-Tyne UK
The old work houses eh?

Gods i bet they were grim \:\/

I would rather die on my feet than live on my knees!
Re: Where your from [Re: Yogi Barrabbas] #483977
04/14/08 10:01 AM
04/14/08 10:01 AM
NJ
Don Marco Offline
Underboss
Don Marco  Offline
Underboss
NJ
Hey TIS - a fellow Michiganer. I was born in Iron Mountain, moved to Syracuse, NY when I was 12 and now live in Southern NJ just outside of Philadelphia. Iron Mountain is a small town in the Upper Peninsula about 100 miles north of Green Bay - everyone in town is a Packer fan!

"After all, we are not communists"

Christopher Moltisanti: You ever think what a coincidence it is that Lou Gehrig died of Lou Gehrig's disease?

Tony Soprano: Yeah well, when you're married, you'll understand the importance of fresh produce.
Re: Where your from [Re: Don Marco] #484013
04/14/08 01:45 PM
04/14/08 01:45 PM
Connecticut
Sicilian1 Offline
Wiseguy
Sicilian1  Offline
Wiseguy
Connecticut
I was born & raised in Hartford,CT. Not a lot happens here. The trouble with Hartford is that we are stuck between New Haven,CT. and Springfield,MA. Here is our beautiful city:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/b/b1/Hartford_Connecticut_Skyline.JPG

Re: Where your from [Re: Yogi Barrabbas] #484016
04/14/08 01:49 PM
04/14/08 01:49 PM
Sheffield UK
chopper Offline OP
Gaetano Lucchese
chopper  Offline OP
Gaetano Lucchese

Sheffield UK
 Originally Posted By: Yogi Barrabbas
The old work houses eh?

Definetly i wouldnt have fancied working in them,they were very hard times \:\(

Aniello Dellacroce

TFI Lucky Star

Happy Hardcore DJ Hixxy
Re: Where your from [Re: chopper] #484017
04/14/08 01:51 PM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
 Originally Posted By: chopper
 Originally Posted By: Yogi Barrabbas
The old work houses eh?

Definetly i wouldnt have fancied working in them,they were very hard times \:\(

Crybaby Worksopians. \:p

"I got news for you. If it wasn't for the toilet, there would be no books." --- George Costanza.
Re: Where your from [Re: pizzaboy] #484018
Sheffield UK
chopper Offline OP
Gaetano Lucchese
chopper  Offline OP
Gaetano Lucchese

Sheffield UK

Aniello Dellacroce

TFI Lucky Star

Happy Hardcore DJ Hixxy
Re: Where your from [Re: chopper] #484045
04/14/08 03:37 PM
04/14/08 03:37 PM
Pennsylvania
klydon1 Offline
klydon1  Offline

Pennsylvania
I was born in the Borough of Dunmore, PA. It was a working class town, which was mostly Irish, Italian and Polish. It's in the northeastern part of the state, which was a big coal region, so one thing my friends and I had in common was that our grandfathers and great-grandfathers were coal miners.

There was virtually no crime in the community. The church that I attended was, and still is, the only Catholic cathedral in the world without steps (St. Mary's).

Here is a link explaining the town. They mentioned some notable people from Dunmore. I went to school with Paul Richards, the astronaut. On our youth football team he was right guard while I was left guard. Nestor Chylak, the Hall of Fame baseball umpire, was also a well known resident.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunmore%2C_Pennsylvania

Re: Where your from [Re: klydon1] #484046
04/14/08 03:41 PM
04/14/08 03:41 PM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
Ah, you're practically a New Yorker, Klyd. I used to go out to Scranton quite a bit. My cousin had a "country" home there. Nice.

"I got news for you. If it wasn't for the toilet, there would be no books." --- George Costanza.
Re: Where your from [Re: pizzaboy] #484048
04/14/08 03:55 PM
04/14/08 03:55 PM
Pennsylvania
klydon1 Offline
klydon1  Offline

Pennsylvania
 Originally Posted By: pizzaboy
Ah, you're practically a New Yorker, Klyd. I used to go out to Scranton quite a bit. My cousin had a "country" home there. Nice.

We're neighbors! \:\) Whereabouts in the Scranton area would you visit? I'm guessing the Poconos, which are about 20 minutes from where I grew up.

Re: Where your from [Re: klydon1] #484122
04/14/08 09:04 PM
04/14/08 09:04 PM
South of the Pinelands
MaryCas Offline
MaryCas  Offline

South of the Pinelands
 Originally Posted By: klydon1
I was born in the Borough of Dunmore, PA. It was a working class town, which was mostly Irish, Italian and Polish. It's in the northeastern part of the state, which was a big coal region, so one thing my friends and I had in common was that our grandfathers and great-grandfathers were coal miners.

Dunmore, PA the home of my in-laws (not anymore). They lived on Bunker Hill. Rt 81 goes through where their house was. My wife's grandmother (Irish) married an Italian, whose family ran a boarding house for Italian coal-miners. She lived in the boarding house and learned to speak Italian. When I met her she was about 70 yrs. old. She had an Irish brogue and could speak Italian. You could listen to her stories of Bunker Hill for hours. The Irish brogue peppered with Italian curse words and a bunch that she made up. Quite a lady.

Whoever exalts himself will be humbled, whoever humbles himself will be exalted - Matthew 23:12
Re: Where your from [Re: MaryCas] #484125
04/14/08 09:29 PM
04/14/08 09:29 PM
Gateshead, UK
Capo de La Cosa Nostra Offline
Capo de La Cosa Nostra  Offline

Gateshead, UK
Gateshead; over the river from Yogi. It's alright, just like anywhere else - what your mind makes of it, I suppose. Good things, bad things; same with the people.

I moved away for uni, to Norwich.

I need to escape.

...dot com bold typeface rhetoric.
You go clickety click and get your head split.
'The hell you look like on a message board
Discussing whether or not the Brother is hardcore?
Re: Where your from [Re: Capo de La Cosa Nostra] #484144
04/15/08 12:52 AM
04/15/08 12:52 AM
In a van down by the river!
Longneck Offline
Longneck  Offline

In a van down by the river!
An ancestor of mine...Amos xxxxx played John Purdue in a poker game. The winner would name the university after themselves and the loser would get a building.

xxxxx Hall at Purdue University frown

Here's the official story:
Quote:
The story of xxxxx Hall is one of my favorites -- In the fall of 1892, a wealthy Frankfort, Indiana, bachelor named Amos xxxxx donated $35,000 to the university to build a new engineering laboratory which included within its walls a real Schenectady Engine. Dedicated on January 19, 1894, this new facility was the pride of the University as well as the state ... however ... four days later, a gas explosion in the new laboratory's boiler room enveloped almost the entire building. Unfortunately, the horse-drawn fire engine could not pull the heavy equipment up State Street hill and the building was destroyed. University President Smart, undaunted, immediately began clean up the next day and by December 4, 1895 a brand new building, nearly an exact replica of the one lost, was formally opened. The difference ... the new tower was nine rows of bricks taller and the clock with chimes was added to the tower (the original tower had three openings across the top while center opening in the new tower held the clock, as seen in the picture). Though students today probably don't realize it, the current "Tower" is a remembrance of xxxxx Hall ... both of them.

Last edited by J Geoff; 06/10/11 02:59 AM. Reason: xxxxx

Long as I remember The rain been coming down.
Clouds of Mystery pouring Confusion on the ground.
Good men through the ages, Trying to find the sun;
And I wonder, Still I wonder, Who'll stop the rain.

Re: Where your from [Re: Longneck] #484152
04/15/08 07:23 AM
04/15/08 07:23 AM
Gateshead, UK
Capo de La Cosa Nostra Offline
Capo de La Cosa Nostra  Offline

Gateshead, UK
Ha! Good story.

...dot com bold typeface rhetoric.
You go clickety click and get your head split.
'The hell you look like on a message board
Discussing whether or not the Brother is hardcore?
Re: Where your from [Re: MaryCas] #484153
04/15/08 08:17 AM
04/15/08 08:17 AM
Pennsylvania
klydon1 Offline
klydon1  Offline

Pennsylvania
 Originally Posted By: MaryCas

Dunmore, PA the home of my in-laws (not anymore). They lived on Bunker Hill. Rt 81 goes through where their house was. My wife's grandmother (Irish) married an Italian, whose family ran a boarding house for Italian coal-miners. She lived in the boarding house and learned to speak Italian. When I met her she was about 70 yrs. old. She had an Irish brogue and could speak Italian. You could listen to her stories of Bunker Hill for hours. The Irish brogue peppered with Italian curse words and a bunch that she made up. Quite a lady.

I know the area well. My first job was delivering groceries in 7th grade for a local grocer/butcher, named Vito Ianelli, and we had many deliveries in Bunker Hill. My friend, who also delivered groceries, and I were driven by a small, old balding man, known as Nick, the Greek. All I remember about him was that he would mumble to himself a lot, and would laugh occasionally for no apparent reason.

Recently, I stopped at a new lunch spot in Dunmore Corners, called Cara Mia (next to the Candy Kitchen, which is still in business, MC). The place makes phenomenol sandwiches, soups and breads. The menu included a note from the owner, who explains that in addition to studying the culinary arts in Hyde Park, she learned a great deal from her great-uncle Vito Ianelli.

I felt like asking her if she needed a delivery boy.

Re: Where your from [Re: klydon1] #484163
04/15/08 10:15 AM
04/15/08 10:15 AM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck

We're neighbors! \:\) Whereabouts in the Scranton area would you visit? I'm guessing the Poconos, which are about 20 minutes from where I grew up.

It was in Scranton, close to this locally famous diner we'd often go to while intoxicated---lol---Chuck's or Chick's, I'm not sure which. I'll call him later to find out.

Re: Where your from [Re: pizzaboy] #484165
04/15/08 10:40 AM
04/15/08 10:40 AM
Pennsylvania
klydon1 Offline
klydon1  Offline

Pennsylvania

It was in Scranton, close to this locally famous diner we'd often go to while intoxicated---lol---Chuck's or Chick's, I'm not sure which. I'll call him later to find out.

It's Chick's Diner, one of the local landmarks. Coincidentally, Chick's Diner is a client of mine in workers' compensation. It's a pretty good diner, pizzaboy.

I guess your cousin lived in Southside.

Re: Where your from [Re: klydon1] #484168
04/15/08 10:44 AM
04/15/08 10:44 AM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
His place was literally two minutes from there. GREAT diner, ton of food!

Re: Where your from [Re: pizzaboy] #484276
04/15/08 03:53 PM
04/15/08 03:53 PM
Pennsylvania
klydon1 Offline
klydon1  Offline

Pennsylvania
His place was literally two minutes from there. GREAT diner, ton of food!

The owners are wonderful people too. It's a family business, and theywant more than anything that their customers are satisfied.

Re: Where your from [Re: J Geoff] #484330
04/15/08 09:30 PM
04/15/08 09:30 PM
Palm Bay, Florida
Santino Brasi Offline
The Don's Official Sooth Sayer
Santino Brasi  Offline
The Don's Official Sooth Sayer
Underboss
Palm Bay, Florida
 Originally Posted By: J Geoff
 Originally Posted By: Santino_Brasi
chopper, your my brother, and I love you... but never make another typo in the name of a thread again... never

What about the exact same "typo" in your reply?

I know, that was the irony to it, get a sense of irony will ya?

Last edited by Santino_Brasi; 04/15/08 09:32 PM. Reason: mind your own fuckin' buisness

He - (Simón Bolívar) - was shaken by the overwhelming revelation that the headlong race between his misfortunes and his dreams was at that moment reaching the finishing line. The rest was darkness. "Damn it," He sighed. "How will I ever get out of this labyrinth!"

So what’s the labyrinth?

That’s the mystery isn’t it? Is the labyrinth living or dying? Which is he trying to escape - the world, or, the end of it?
Re: Where your from [Re: Don Marco] #484355
04/15/08 10:47 PM
04/15/08 10:47 PM
California
The Italian Stallionette Offline
The Italian Stallionette  Offline

California
 Originally Posted By: Don Marco
Hey TIS - a fellow Michiganer. I was born in Iron Mountain, moved to Syracuse, NY when I was 12 and now live in Southern NJ just outside of Philadelphia. Iron Mountain is a small town in the Upper Peninsula about 100 miles north of Green Bay - everyone in town is a Packer fan!

Don Marco,

I didn't know you were from Michigan (or if you mentioned it before, I don't remember). Anyway, I can't say know of Iron Mountain. I was only in the UP a couple times. However, my nephews are avid hunters and they have a place in the UP they go to. Not sure what city though. Winters would be way way to snowy/cold for my taste. \:\/ But it is pretty.

TIS

"Mankind must put an end to war before war puts an end to mankind. War will exist until that distant day when the conscientious objector enjoys the same reputation and prestige that the warrior does today." JFK

"War is over, if you want it" - John Lennon

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull