GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
3 registered members (3 invisible), 258 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,467
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 23,884
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,512
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,324
Posts1,058,634
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Michael demotes Tom #482363
04/03/08 03:02 PM
04/03/08 03:02 PM
New York
TahoeShooter Offline OP
Button
TahoeShooter  Offline OP
Button
New York
I know that from reading some of the other threads on the Michael/Tom relationship is mostly about his blaming Tom for Sonny's death and such.

But I think there are different reasons. More prominent ones.

When I watch the movie and see Sonny and Tom interact in front of Michael. There is a issue there, one of a certain level of disrespect(for lack of a better word).

Tom and Sonny interact in such a way that Tom is yelling at Sonny. Atleast one time I can remember in front of Michael. I dont think Michael wanted any part of that and stripped Tom. "No chance" of (that disrespect) that happening ;\)

You cant have your Consigliere yelling at the Godfather especially in front of your underlings.

Re: Michael demotes Tom [Re: TahoeShooter] #482370
04/03/08 03:25 PM
04/03/08 03:25 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
You're misinterpreting Tom's and Sonny's relationship. They were like brothers, such was represented in the flashback scene at the end of GFII between Sonny and Michael when Sonny went after Michael.

Michael reveals his feelings about Tom early in the film. He intriduces Tom to Kay in the course of which he tells her his last name. He then tells Kay that Tom is not a Sicilian. Both statements are accurate, but they are also indicative of Michael's lack of comfort with Tom.

"Generosity. That was my first mistake."
"Experience must be our only guide; reason may mislead us."
"Instagram is Twitter for people who can't read."
Re: Michael demotes Tom [Re: olivant] #482376
04/03/08 03:33 PM
04/03/08 03:33 PM
New York
TahoeShooter Offline OP
Button
TahoeShooter  Offline OP
Button
New York
 Originally Posted By: olivant
You're misinterpreting Tom's and Sonny's relationship. They were like brothers, such was represented in the flashback scene at the end of GFII between Sonny and Michael when Sonny went after Michael.

Michael reveals his feelings about Tom early in the film. He intriduces Tom to Kay in the course of which he tells her his last name. He then tells Kay that Tom is not a Sicilian. Both statements are accurate, but they are also indicative of Michael's lack of comfort with Tom.

I understand what you are saying. So you dont believe that Tom was out of line in how he talked to Sonny? (Just asking :))

I do remember Michael and his comments to Kay about Tom. I just think there is more to it. Michael's hearing testimony paraphrasing here "Godfather is a term used as a sign of respect" etc.

Re: Michael demotes Tom [Re: TahoeShooter] #482389
04/03/08 04:12 PM
04/03/08 04:12 PM
With Geary in Fredo's Brothel
dontomasso Offline
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline
Consigliere to the Stars

I am repeating myself here, but it is clear thatSonny and Tom had a much closer relationship than Tom and Michael. Sonny and Tom both knew each other's shortcomings and their strengths, and they were really more like brothers. While Michael was in his rebellion period and then fighting in WWII, Tom and Sonny were learning the family business at Vito Corloene's knee. Vito also had great affection for Tom. If you look at the dynamic Tom and
Sonny often raised their voices to one another when they got angry.

On the other hand you never see Tom get angry with Michael. He gets hurt, but never angry, and likewise Michael shows little emotion toward Tom unles it suits some ulterior motive of Michael's.

So when Tom yells at Sonny that he's getting quite a reputation as a hot head who is screwing up business, Sonny retorts by saying Pop had Genco, look what I got. Immediately Sonny apologizes and puts his arm around Tom and they go off to dinner.

When Michael wants to tell Tom his shortcomings as a wartime consigliere, he tells him just that in a measured, cold tone, and when Tom, hurt by the comment says "maybe I could help." Mike says "You're out." Sonny would have never spoken to Tom that way, nor would Vito. In fact in that scene Vito tries to save Tom's hurt feelings by saying he never thought he was a bad consigliere, but that his own son was a bad Don.

Even the little things show this distance. As was pointed out in this thread when Mike introduce Tom to Kay he goes through this whole thing about how he is not a Sicilian etc. Notice the scene when Michael leaves the house to go on his mission to kill Sollozzo and McCluskey, and knows he will be gone for a long time, he gives Sonny a huge bear hug, but when he says goodbye to Tom he just puts his hand around the back of his neck.

"Io sono stanco, sono imbigliato, and I wan't everyone here to know, there ain't gonna be no trouble from me..Don Corleone..Cicc' a port!"

"I stood in the courtroom like a fool."

"I am Constanza: Lord of the idiots."

Re: Michael demotes Tom [Re: TahoeShooter] #482393
04/03/08 04:15 PM
04/03/08 04:15 PM
Pittsburgh, PA
The Last Woltz Offline
Underboss
The Last Woltz  Offline
Underboss
Pittsburgh, PA
I agree with Olivant's interpretation of Tom's relationship with Sonny.

Michael never doubted Tom's loyalty or respect. This is made clear after the Tahoe assassination attempt, when Michael is unsure who the traitor is but never suspects Tom.

"A man in my position cannot afford to be made to look ridiculous!"
Re: Michael demotes Tom [Re: TahoeShooter] #482399
04/03/08 04:36 PM
04/03/08 04:36 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
 Originally Posted By: TahoeShooter
 Originally Posted By: olivant

I understand what you are saying. So you dont believe that Tom was out of line in how he talked to Sonny? (Just asking :))

I do remember Michael and his comments to Kay about Tom. I just think there is more to it. Michael's hearing testimony paraphrasing here "Godfather is a term used as a sign of respect" etc.

I'm not sure what more there could be to it. As others have posted, Michael just didn't feel the same way toward Tom that Sonny did. That's consistent with Michael's personality: to Michael, people were strictly utilitarian.

Re: Michael demotes Tom [Re: TahoeShooter] #482410
04/03/08 05:52 PM
04/03/08 05:52 PM
MI
Lilo Offline
Lilo  Offline

MI
Sonny saved Tom from the streets. Sonny and Tom grew up together and were roughly the same age. There was a deep reservoir of shared experiences that Tom didn't have with Michael. So Tom feels free to speak his mind and occasionally show exasperation or lose his temper with Sonny.

Michael is just colder and quieter than Sonny. Tom doesn't have a brotherly relationship that he had with Sonny nor does he have the father-son relationship he had with Vito.

When Michael takes over, basically Tom is just like any other mope in the corporate world where there's been a change of management. He's just out of favor. Nothing personal, just business.. \:D

"When the snows fall and the white winds blow, the lone wolf dies but the pack survives."
Winter is Coming

Now this is the Law of the Jungle—as old and as true as the sky; And the wolf that shall keep it may prosper, but the wolf that shall break it must die.
As the creeper that girdles the tree-trunk, the Law runneth forward and back; For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack.
Re: Michael demotes Tom [Re: Lilo] #482421
04/03/08 06:21 PM
04/03/08 06:21 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
Also, Michael was a hyper-controller. He had to have things his way. Sonny chose Tom as his brother, Michael didn't. Vito chose Tom as his consigliere, Michael didn't. After the Tahoe shooting, when Michael tells Tom, "You're my brother," Tom almost gets tearful and says, "I always wanted to be thought of as a brother by you, Mikie." That tells me Tom didn't believe Michael thought of him as a brother.

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.
Re: Michael demotes Tom [Re: Turnbull] #482472
04/04/08 11:03 AM
04/04/08 11:03 AM
dontomasso Offline
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline
Consigliere to the Stars

Originally Posted By: Turnbull
Also, Michael was a hyper-controller. He had to have things his way. Sonny chose Tom as his brother, Michael didn't. Vito chose Tom as his consigliere, Michael didn't. After the Tahoe shooting, when Michael tells Tom, "You're my brother," Tom almost gets tearful and says, "I always wanted to be thought of as a brother by you, Mikie." That tells me Tom didn't believe Michael thought of him as a brother.

Great point TB. Do you think even at the moment Tom utteed those words he knew Michael didn't think of him as a real brother, but instead knew in his heart that Tom's was Michael's choice of last resort under the circumstances?

"Io sono stanco, sono imbigliato, and I wan't everyone here to know, there ain't gonna be no trouble from me..Don Corleone..Cicc' a port!"

"I stood in the courtroom like a fool."

"I am Constanza: Lord of the idiots."

Re: Michael demotes Tom [Re: dontomasso] #482500
04/04/08 02:03 PM
04/04/08 02:03 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
 Originally Posted By: dontomasso
Do you think even at the moment Tom utteed those words he knew Michael didn't think of him as a real brother, but instead knew in his heart that Tom's was Michael's choice of last resort under the circumstances?

Intellectually, he probably did know he was last resort. But, emotionally, at that moment, he meant what he said. "Hope springs eternal..." That hope got dashed when his "brother" returned from Havana.

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.
Re: Michael demotes Tom [Re: Turnbull] #482570
04/04/08 05:20 PM
04/04/08 05:20 PM
New York
Sicilian Babe Offline
Sicilian Babe  Offline

New York
In the novel, Tom's back story really explains his extreme devotion to the Corleone family. His father was an alcoholic and his mother went blind. He was homeless and starving when Sonny brought him home to live with them, and sick with an eye infection. He was convinced that he would go blind like his mother, but the Corleones took him to a doctor that cured him.

He often had nightmares about being homeless and blind, and only the sound of Vito's voice when he woke up could soothe him.

President Emeritus of the Neal Pulcawer Fan Club
Re: Michael demotes Tom [Re: Sicilian Babe] #482608
04/04/08 10:04 PM
04/04/08 10:04 PM
No. Virginia
mustachepete Offline
Special
mustachepete  Offline
Special
Underboss
No. Virginia
Tom's intelligence complemented Sonny's emotion, and so the two could work as a team. Michael's strength, like Tom's, is intelligence. Thus Tom, like Tessio, would eventually become a rival to Michael.

It seems likely that Vito saw Tom as a vehicle to provide Sonny with brains, so that Sonny could run the family and Michael would be free to pursue legitimate activities. When Michael joined the organization, it was only logical to switch Tom back out to the legitimate side.

"All of these men were good listeners; patient men."
Re: Michael demotes Tom [Re: Turnbull] #482609
04/04/08 10:49 PM
04/04/08 10:49 PM
New Jersey
AppleOnYa Offline
AppleOnYa  Offline

New Jersey
 Originally Posted By: Turnbull
Also, Michael was a hyper-controller. He had to have things his way. ...

Sonny had to have things 'his way' too. Evident in the staircase shoutout between him & Tom after Vito comes home from the hospital.

That aside, I do agree that Tom was much closer to Sonny than to Michael. I think until Michael returned from Italy to pretty much run the Family, Tom thought of him as the kid brother who needed looking after (and his future 'discussed' with Vito). He was clearly worried when Michael was about to go off & shoot Solozzo. The tables were a bit turned on Tom when Michael eventually became not only his boss, but The Don. While he got crap from Sonny as well, there was more of a warmth, even equality in their relationship.

Apple

A wise and frugal government, which shall leave men free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned - this is the sum of good government.

- THOMAS JEFFERSON

Re: Michael demotes Tom [Re: AppleOnYa] #482688
04/05/08 03:53 PM
04/05/08 03:53 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
In a deleted scene, Mike lost a huge bet on Tom's recommendation of a winner in the Mr. Potatohead world championship competition. Tom being Irish, Mike figured he knew what he was talking about when it came to potatos. If only ...!

Re: Michael demotes Tom [Re: olivant] #483839
04/13/08 12:03 PM
04/13/08 12:03 PM
The 5th circle of hell
Don Smitty Offline
Underboss
Don Smitty  Offline
Underboss
The 5th circle of hell
I too have heard about the infamous Mr. Potatohead game incident!

ds

I woke up this morning with nothing to do and went to bed with only half of it done.

http://attacked911.tripod.com/
http://www.stjude.org/

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull