GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
3 registered members (RushStreet, 2 invisible), 410 guests, and 16 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,618
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 24,108
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,518
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,382
Posts1,059,702
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Carlo #481873
03/29/08 07:46 AM
03/29/08 07:46 AM
D
donjack Offline OP
Wiseguy
donjack  Offline OP
D
Wiseguy
At first Vito says to give him a living but never discuss the family business with him. Then at the meeting with Tessio and Clemenza Michael says Carlo will be his right hand man in Vegas. Now why did the don allow that?

Last edited by donjack; 03/29/08 07:47 AM.
Re: Carlo [Re: donjack] #481874
03/29/08 07:57 AM
03/29/08 07:57 AM
New York
SC Offline
Consigliere
SC  Offline
Consigliere

New York
Easy. Keep your friends close, keep your enemies closer.

Re: Carlo [Re: SC] #481883
03/29/08 09:57 AM
03/29/08 09:57 AM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
I always thought FFC went too far with that. But SC is right: Mike wanted to use Carlo as a conduit for false info provided to Corelone enemies.

"Generosity. That was my first mistake."
"Experience must be our only guide; reason may mislead us."
"Instagram is Twitter for people who can't read."
Re: Carlo [Re: olivant] #481895
03/29/08 12:15 PM
03/29/08 12:15 PM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
 Originally Posted By: olivant
Mike wanted to use Carlo as a conduit for false info provided to Corelone enemies.

While giving Carlo a false sense of security.

Two birds with one stone.

"I got news for you. If it wasn't for the toilet, there would be no books." --- George Costanza.
Re: Carlo [Re: pizzaboy] #481993
03/31/08 09:51 AM
03/31/08 09:51 AM
With Geary in Fredo's Brothel
dontomasso Offline
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline
Consigliere to the Stars

It was a ruse. Not only did it keep Carlo "closer" it made Michael appear to be weak, which what he was up to at that point. It was also such an obviously bone headed move, it would get the traitor (Tessio) to make his move.

"Io sono stanco, sono imbigliato, and I wan't everyone here to know, there ain't gonna be no trouble from me..Don Corleone..Cicc' a port!"

"I stood in the courtroom like a fool."

"I am Constanza: Lord of the idiots."

Re: Carlo [Re: dontomasso] #481999
03/31/08 10:21 AM
03/31/08 10:21 AM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
But consider this also. Michael tells all that his negotiations will answer questions and solve problems. Negotiations with who? Hearing this, Barzini knows that Michael is not negotiating with him, his main adversary. Barzini then wonders who Michael is negotiating with, and, if nobody, then he realizes that it's a ruse.

Last edited by olivant; 03/31/08 10:21 AM.

Re: Carlo [Re: dontomasso] #482003
03/31/08 10:46 AM
03/31/08 10:46 AM
fathersson Offline
Underboss
fathersson  Offline
Underboss
Yes, it was such a great ruse that it turned a long time loyal Capo to look at how things were and turn traitor.
In a way Michael used his father's old and trusted friends like useless bait so he could make himself look weak. Keeping him in the dark only let Tessio see one out and he took it rather then go under.
I know it is only a movie, but what you expect a guy to do. The company looks like it is about to fold, so you move on to a firm that you feel will still be there. A smart move. At times I wonder why Vito treated his long time friends with such disrespect.

What if Tom had felt the same way Tessio felt when Tom was pushed aside and was left outside the box.
The only thing that kept Tom in was that he figured things out before the old man died and was let in that something was truly in the works. He could see the strength of the new regimes. He knew that there was real hope. But No, they let the Old Capos spin in the wind and take all the shit. Is this a act of a old and trusted friend GODFATHER?
Would Fredo have done what he did if the old man was still alive? Or if he was treated better?

What would have happened if he (Tom) was kept blind, what if both Clemenza and Tessio AND Tom talked and felt the same way? Hopeless. Would Tom have stepped up to the plate and along with the longtime capos and stepped over Michael to save the Family and their own lives and loved ones if things were really as bad as things looked once the Old man was gone?

ONLY gun owners have the POWER to PROTECT and PRESERVE our FREEDOM.
"...it is their (the people's) right and duty to be at all times armed" - Thomas Jefferson, June 5, 1824

Everyone should read. "HOW TO KILL A MOCKING BIRD"

CAUTION: This Post has not been approved by Don Cardi.

You really don't expect people to believe your shit do you?

Read: "The Daily Apple"- Telling America and the Gangster BB like it really is!
Re: Carlo [Re: fathersson] #482004
03/31/08 10:56 AM
03/31/08 10:56 AM
dontomasso Offline
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline
Consigliere to the Stars

Originally Posted By: fathersson
At times I wonder why Vito treated his long time friends with such disrespect.

He had no choice. Time was short...for Vito and for Michael. They had to find the traitor. When CLemenza asks Vito if they can form theoir own family, he does not tell them "no," he defers to Michael who tells them they can do so in six months. This seals the deal for Tessio who turns traitor. In the long run, Clemenza was repaid in spades for his loyalty. Het got to RUn all the NY operations and he took over Vito's house.

What if Tom had felt the same way Tessio felt when Tom was pushed aside and was left outside the box.

Tom was always being leftout of the box, and he was so eager to be a "real brother" he would ntver have betrayed the family (although I confess to wanting to start a thread with the theory that Tom could have been a traitor all along...but that's for another day)

Would Fredo have done what he did if the old man was still alive? Or if he was treated better?

No he would not have, and this has been touched on elsewhere. The Don would have never allowed Fredo to think he was passed over. He would have kept him close, maybe even named him to some phony position... Asssistant Consigliere, or Consigliere Emeritus. It was a huge failing of Michael to allow Fredo to feel so excluded.

"Io sono stanco, sono imbigliato, and I wan't everyone here to know, there ain't gonna be no trouble from me..Don Corleone..Cicc' a port!"

Re: Carlo [Re: dontomasso] #482011
03/31/08 11:22 AM
03/31/08 11:22 AM
fathersson Offline
Underboss
fathersson  Offline
Underboss
Yes, I could understand that a father would not have handled that with his own son. That was Michael's big mistake.
That is why you have to wonder why Don Vito would let that happen to his two longtime Capos, who came up from the streets with him, so many years ago.

Last edited by fathersson; 03/31/08 11:24 AM.

"...it is their (the people's) right and duty to be at all times armed" - Thomas Jefferson, June 5, 1824

Re: Carlo [Re: fathersson] #482012
03/31/08 11:30 AM
03/31/08 11:30 AM
MI
Lilo Offline
Lilo  Offline

MI
Vito asked for trust, faith and loyalty in a critical time. He (and Mike) judged it necessary to do some things which other people didn't understand at first. Tom and Clemenza gave that loyalty even though it went against their better judgment.

Tessio didn't and so it goes.

Probably at that point Vito had second thoughts about everyone except Michael, so it was just good operating procedure to keep plans secret. Anyway he was the boss so it was his prerogative. Harsh but that's the business...

"When the snows fall and the white winds blow, the lone wolf dies but the pack survives."
Winter is Coming

Now this is the Law of the Jungle—as old and as true as the sky; And the wolf that shall keep it may prosper, but the wolf that shall break it must die.
As the creeper that girdles the tree-trunk, the Law runneth forward and back; For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack.
Re: Carlo [Re: Lilo] #482016
03/31/08 12:10 PM
03/31/08 12:10 PM
fathersson Offline
Underboss
fathersson  Offline
Underboss
Sure, Vito asked for trust, faith and loyalty in a critical time.
But he didn't give the same in return!
That is the point I am trying to make.

Vito was dying, his future wasn't at stake. Blindly do as I ask, but, I don't have the same (trust, faith and loyalty) to give back to you.

See, I feel that both Clemanza ansd Tessio gave their trust, faith and loyalty for many years and at a time when it was needed most, Vito didn't return it to them the way they needed.

Re: Carlo [Re: fathersson] #482020
03/31/08 12:48 PM
03/31/08 12:48 PM
MI
Lilo Offline
Lilo  Offline

MI
Hmm. I don't quite see it that way. Vito's intelligence, leadership abilities, wisdom and vengeful nature were such that over the years he had earned the right to extreme, even slightly irrational, loyalty from his oldest followers. It was not an organization of equals. Vito was the top dog.

There were lots of times that Vito acted without telling others what he was doing, made decisions that appeared questionable on the surface or did things that indicated he didn't fully trust his subordinates. Sending Luca on a secret mission without telling anyone, obtaining phone logs of calls made from and to Tessio and Clemenza, murdering Fanucci without checking with Tessio and Clemenza (and possibly exposing his friends to vengeance), or seemingly suing for peace after his first born son was murdered, were actions of someone who ultimately was only answerable to himself and trusted few people completely.

Those who accepted his leadership and didn't question it, even when things got really bad, were ultimately rewarded.

Vito challenged his doubtful retainers to trust Michael as they had trusted him. Clemenza had enough wisdom to do that. Tessio, who was smarter, did not. Unfortunately for Tessio, he was not as smart as Vito.

In real life of course mob leaders like Tom, Clemenza or Tessio who had lost as much power and territory as they did during the Five Families war, would have been demoted or even "terminated" once Vito took direct control back. His loyalty to them precluded that option...

"When the snows fall and the white winds blow, the lone wolf dies but the pack survives."
Winter is Coming

Now this is the Law of the Jungle—as old and as true as the sky; And the wolf that shall keep it may prosper, but the wolf that shall break it must die.
As the creeper that girdles the tree-trunk, the Law runneth forward and back; For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack.
Re: Carlo [Re: Lilo] #482026
03/31/08 01:03 PM
03/31/08 01:03 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
As Tessio said in the novel "Any man can turn traitor."

Last edited by olivant; 03/31/08 01:04 PM.

Re: Carlo [Re: olivant] #482036
03/31/08 01:37 PM
03/31/08 01:37 PM
dontomasso Offline
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline
Consigliere to the Stars

FS I see your point but I also think that he had the right to ask Tessio and Clemenza to have the same faith they had in him on other matters as they did on his choice of a successor.

Re: Carlo [Re: Lilo] #482040
03/31/08 01:49 PM
03/31/08 01:49 PM
fathersson Offline
Underboss
fathersson  Offline
Underboss
Like I said, Vito used them like he didn't care about them. It is that simple. Vito knew this may happen when he treated either or both men like that. That is why he knew that they may turn on Michael when he died. Using them like he did in this rouse drove Tessio out. That was the price they would gamble on to pull the plan off. Hell, Michael didn't need Clemenza or Tessio, he had his own right hand man now. They were of his father's era, not his.

It is no different than when Carlo used his wife and beat her to bring Sonny out of the compound. A real gamble. What if Connie doesn't call the compound that night? Once before she kept her mouth shut and Sonny didn't catch it till he came over later. What if Sonny hears about it later and has Carlo whacked in a more carefully planned removal. And if Sonny did have Carlo whacked, no lost to them, they were using him anyway, just like Fredo would be used by Roth.

Re: Carlo [Re: fathersson] #482042
03/31/08 01:55 PM
03/31/08 01:55 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
 Originally Posted By: fathersson
See, I feel that both Clemanza ansd Tessio gave their trust, faith and loyalty for many years and at a time when it was needed most, Vito didn't return it to them the way they needed.

You can certainly look at it that way, and you wouldn't be wrong. But the Mafia is all about greed and survival. Loyalty makes the difference between subordinates who are "businessmen" (as Michael described Neri and Rocco to Tom in II) who might turn on the Don when things get rough, or people who'll stand by the Don no matter what. Michael had no reason to automatically assume that he'd command T&C's undivided loyalty simply because he was Vito's son--doing so would have endangered him and his family. He needed to provide a test.

You might argue that Vito simply dumped T&C when he told them to "be a friend to Michael." And you wouldn't be wrong there, either. But again, Michael's survival was at stake. Vito had retired, and even if he commanded them to support Michael, he couldn't guarantee their loyalty.

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.
Re: Carlo [Re: Turnbull] #482052
03/31/08 02:36 PM
03/31/08 02:36 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
I just can't blame Tessio for taking his way out. Vito was dead and so was his loyalty to the man. There was every reason to believe that Michael was going to preside over the demise of the Corleones. Why stick around? As Michael said "It's a smart move. Tessio was always smarter."

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull