GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (1 invisible), 261 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,590
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 24,062
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,517
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,364
Posts1,059,425
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Angelo Bruno #481749
03/28/08 08:50 AM
03/28/08 08:50 AM
london
freddie Offline OP
Associate
freddie  Offline OP
Associate
london
Hi,
This is my first post - I am intrigued by the 'gentle don' Angelo
bruno - was he really gentle - did he use baseball bats etc when he was younger or was he really the gentle don - all the other mob bosses seem to be stone cold killers but their does not appear to be any direct violence attributable to bruno. Can anybody fill me in

Re: Angelo Bruno [Re: freddie] #481851
03/28/08 06:22 PM
03/28/08 06:22 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
Welcome, Freddie! \:\)

It's said that Bruno was called the "gentle Don" because he ran his Phila. family in a low-key, non-histrionic way. Probably the biggest contributing factor to the nickname was how he got the Donship after Joe Ida retired in '59. His rival was Antonio Pollina, who got the nod. Pollina thought Bruno would be a rival, and ordered him whacked. But Bruno was an old pal of Carlo Gambino. He appealed to his old pal, and thanks to Gambino's influence, Bruno became the Don. But, instead of whacking Pollina, he kept him on in a subordinate role, believing it'd be good for the family.
Of course, Bruno couldn't have gotten into the Mafia, and have gotten high up, without personal violence along the way.

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.
Re: Angelo Bruno [Re: Turnbull] #481860
03/28/08 09:31 PM
03/28/08 09:31 PM
london
freddie Offline OP
Associate
freddie  Offline OP
Associate
london
Thanks for that - its just that he looks so benign in the videos and pictures - but then so does carlo gambino

Re: Angelo Bruno [Re: freddie] #481891
03/29/08 12:10 PM
03/29/08 12:10 PM
Newcastle-upon-Tyne UK
Yogi Barrabbas Offline
Yogi Barrabbas  Offline

Newcastle-upon-Tyne UK
Some of his successors in Philly certainly did'nt look benign though eh \:\)

I would rather die on my feet than live on my knees!
Re: Angelo Bruno [Re: Yogi Barrabbas] #481899
03/29/08 12:31 PM
03/29/08 12:31 PM
Philadelphia
BDuff Offline
Philadelphia's Consigliere
BDuff  Offline
Philadelphia's Consigliere
Underboss
Philadelphia
So far, Joe Ligambi has...he is very old school Cosa Nostra, has rebuilt/stabilized the family.

"When my time comes, tell me, will I stand up?"
Paulie "Walnuts" Gaultiere - The Sopranos

Re: Angelo Bruno [Re: BDuff] #481916
03/29/08 05:30 PM
03/29/08 05:30 PM
london
freddie Offline OP
Associate
freddie  Offline OP
Associate
london
I was thinking - if i got into my car ,looked in the rear view mirror and saw angelo bruno behind me in the backseat i would not be as frightned as if it were pete clemenza or your worst nightmare - samuel 'mad sam' destefano.

Re: Angelo Bruno [Re: freddie] #481950
03/30/08 01:01 PM
03/30/08 01:01 PM
MI
Lilo Offline
Lilo  Offline

MI
I remember reading somewhere that Bruno had not allowed the Genovese Family what it felt was its proper percentage of North Jersey gambling rackets.

So the Genoveses encouraged the Bruno consigliere , Anthony "Tony Bananas" Caponigro, who also didn't care for Bruno, to set up Bruno and led Bananas to believe that he had Commission backing.

After the deed was done, the Genoveses of course denied giving any sort of permission or signal for such a crime.

Bananas and his driver were summoned to New York and promptly disposed of. The Genovese Family took over a large share of both Bruno's and Bananas' gambling businesses.

Anyone know about this?

"When the snows fall and the white winds blow, the lone wolf dies but the pack survives."
Winter is Coming

Now this is the Law of the Jungle—as old and as true as the sky; And the wolf that shall keep it may prosper, but the wolf that shall break it must die.
As the creeper that girdles the tree-trunk, the Law runneth forward and back; For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack.
Re: Angelo Bruno [Re: Lilo] #504301
08/13/08 06:59 PM
08/13/08 06:59 PM
I
IvyLeague Offline
IvyLeague  Offline
I

Originally Posted By: Lilo
I remember reading somewhere that Bruno had not allowed the Genovese Family what it felt was its proper percentage of North Jersey gambling rackets.

So the Genoveses encouraged the Bruno consigliere , Anthony "Tony Bananas" Caponigro, who also didn't care for Bruno, to set up Bruno and led Bananas to believe that he had Commission backing.

After the deed was done, the Genoveses of course denied giving any sort of permission or signal for such a crime.

Bananas and his driver were summoned to New York and promptly disposed of. The Genovese Family took over a large share of both Bruno's and Bananas' gambling businesses.

Anyone know about this?

From the Genovese family's standpoint, they had two problems. The first was competition from the Bruno family, specifically consigliere Antonio Caponigro, in New Jersey. The second was competition from the Gambino family, aided by their close ties to Bruno, in Atlantic City. In a classic double cross that would go down in mob history, they were able to solve both problems with one move. The Genovese obviously couldn't kill Bruno themselves without approval from the Commission, so they used Caponigro's own ambitiousness against him, giving him enough rope to hang himself. Angered at what he saw as a weak position by Bruno towards Atlantic City, and thinking he had approval from the Commission, he took Bruno out on March 21, 1980 in order to assume control of the Philadelphia family. Just as the Genovese family knew it would, Caponigro's brazen and unsanctioned action brought down the wrath of the Commission, and the Genovese were more than happy to take care of the problem themselves. Less than a month later after the Bruno murder, on April 17, Caponigro and his cousing Alfred Salerno were killed after attending a meeting with Genovese members. Because they had been allies of Caponigro, and before either could assume control themselves, the Gambino and Genovese families had Philadelphia captains John "Johnny Keys" Simone killed on September 19 and Frank Sindone on October 30. Afterwards, Genovese consigliere Louis "Bobby" Manna let the Philadelphia family know that the Commission supported Phil Testa as boss. However, new Philadelphia underboss Peter Casella and captain Frank Narducci had Testa killed with a bomb on March 15, 1981. Then new consigliere Nicky Scarfo didn't believe Casella's assertion that he had Commission approval and, though his close association with Bobby Manna, met with the Genovese and Gambino families who approved him as the next boss. Casella was forced to retire to Florida and Narducci was later killed on January 7, 1982. The Genovese family's close ties to Scarfo aided them on a number of fronts. They no longer had problems with competition from the Philadelphia family in New Jersey like they had before. Already the most powerful mob family in the Hotel Employees and Restaurant Employees International Union, including controlling HEREU Local 69 in New Jersey, the Genovese family's relationship with Scarfo enabled them to share power with him over the union in Atlantic City. They were also able to outpace the Gambinos in establishing the largest presence of any of the New York families there.

Mods should mind their own business and leave poster's profile signatures alone.
Re: Angelo Bruno [Re: IvyLeague] #505132
08/18/08 10:00 AM
08/18/08 10:00 AM
S
SPWannabe Offline
Wiseguy
SPWannabe  Offline
S
Wiseguy
Was Actually involved in a few hits personally in his younger days according to some. Not as gentle as the press likes to make him out to be.

I was always intrigued by bruno as well.

CHECK OUT THIS PHILLY MOB BLOG!
www.phillymobspot.blogspot.com
SALVIE TESTA/ANGELO BRUNO/MORE

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull