GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (Brovelli), 397 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,603
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 24,080
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,517
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,369
Posts1,059,519
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Godfather theme?? #481575
03/26/08 04:59 PM
03/26/08 04:59 PM
S
SenGeary Offline OP
Wiseguy
SenGeary  Offline OP
S
Wiseguy
What are the themes of "The Godfather," and, if applicable, what are the themes in Part II?

Re: Godfather theme?? [Re: SenGeary] #481603
03/26/08 09:18 PM
03/26/08 09:18 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
Crime Doesn't Pay is the overall theme. Another is: Power Corrupts, Absolute Power Corrupts Absolutely.

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.
Re: Godfather theme?? [Re: SenGeary] #481608
03/26/08 10:18 PM
03/26/08 10:18 PM
The BING
Sopranorleone Offline
Capo
Sopranorleone  Offline
Capo
The BING
 Originally Posted By: SenGeary
What are the themes of "The Godfather," and, if applicable, what are the themes in Part II?

Interestingly, The Godfather Trilogy is one of the few movies that Sparknotes made review for. Go to sparknotes.com and you'll see all the themes, motifs, symbols, etc - for free.

Re: Godfather theme?? [Re: Turnbull] #481634
03/27/08 10:43 AM
03/27/08 10:43 AM
With Geary in Fredo's Brothel
dontomasso Offline
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline
Consigliere to the Stars

Originally Posted By: Turnbull
Crime Doesn't Pay is the overall theme. Another is: Power Corrupts, Absolute Power Corrupts Absolutely.

Not to mention when it comes to losing your family, "tempi cambi"

"Io sono stanco, sono imbigliato, and I wan't everyone here to know, there ain't gonna be no trouble from me..Don Corleone..Cicc' a port!"

"I stood in the courtroom like a fool."

"I am Constanza: Lord of the idiots."

Re: Godfather theme?? [Re: dontomasso] #481639
03/27/08 11:06 AM
03/27/08 11:06 AM
Berlin, Germany
Danito Offline
Underboss
Danito  Offline
Underboss
Berlin, Germany
Another theme: Don't touch oranges!

Re: Godfather theme?? [Re: Turnbull] #481643
03/27/08 11:30 AM
03/27/08 11:30 AM
dontomasso Offline
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline
Consigliere to the Stars

TB I know that "crime doesn't pay" is a mantra of yours, but I want to test it a little.

Certainly the life of crime the Corleones chose ultimtey did not pay for Michael and many others, but it certainly did pay for many of the womenfolk, and for some of Vito's grandchildren.
Although many protagonists are murdered, including Don Tomassino and Sonny , I don't know that a violent death equates with their life choices being criminal in nature. I would draw the analogy to serving in politics or the military. If a soldier or a politician dies a violent death, you cannot say "being in the military or being in politics doesn't pay." You can only say that it can be dangerous.

In fact the Corleones had extraordinary wealth and power. So did Hyman Roth, and so did Don Tomassino who lived to a ripe old age and according to all accounts was beloved and respected.
Senator Geary resortd to crime (or acquiescence to it) and saved his political career.

Focusing a minute on Vito, in his last days he makes it clear that he makes no apologies for what he did with his life. He says he would never be a pupet on a string, and he would never dance to someone else's tune. As a poor immigrant he realized the American Dream for his family, albeit at a terrible price in blood and sorrow. Still, Vito died in a tomato garden while playing with his beloved grandson. Not a bad way to go.

So I guess I am asking TB for you to explain a little more about your premise. It is not that I necesarily disagree with you, but I am not sure what "Crime doesn't pay" means to you.

"Io sono stanco, sono imbigliato, and I wan't everyone here to know, there ain't gonna be no trouble from me..Don Corleone..Cicc' a port!"

Re: Godfather theme?? [Re: dontomasso] #481653
03/27/08 12:35 PM
03/27/08 12:35 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
 Originally Posted By: dontomasso
So I guess I am asking TB for you to explain a little more about your premise. It is not that I necesarily disagree with you, but I am not sure what "Crime doesn't pay" means to you.

I'm referring specifically to Michael Corleone, who did have choices at every stage of his life--and who consistently chose a life of crime. As a result, he was constantly frustrated in achieving his lifelong goal to become "legitimate." He betrayed his wife, had his brother killed, his beloved daughter murdered in his place, died alone, attended only by a little dog...crime doesn't pay.

Re: Godfather theme?? [Re: Turnbull] #481657
03/27/08 01:09 PM
03/27/08 01:09 PM
Berlin, Germany
Danito Offline
Underboss
Danito  Offline
Underboss
Berlin, Germany

I see the film more like a Greek tragedy. Michael's first choice to join the family business is in a way a moral choice: He stood by his family when the family was under attack. But tempi cambi. So in the end of GF1 he has given up his own desires and has become a full criminal whereas in the beginning he says: "That's my family. It's not me."
In GF1 he hardly had any other choice. If he hadn't taken over, Sonny or Fredo would have ruined the family.
I think Vito knew that it was a burden for Michael: "I never wanted this for you", is an apology.

The tragedy in GF2 is that he's still fighting for his family. But (in his won words) by being strong for his family, he lost it.

Re: Godfather theme?? [Re: Danito] #481662
03/27/08 01:49 PM
03/27/08 01:49 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
 Originally Posted By: Danito
In GF1 he hardly had any other choice.

I believe he did have choice. See here for a discussion:

http://www.gangsterbb.net/threads/ubbthr...=true#Post18313

Re: Godfather theme?? [Re: Turnbull] #481669
03/27/08 02:42 PM
03/27/08 02:42 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
I guess the answer comes down to this world or the next. As a nominal Catholic, Vito would have been aware of the possibility of hell and probably believed in it. So, is he destined for hell? Well, according to Catholic doctrine, yes he is - unless he repents and sins no more. In this world, materially, crime did pay for him and, in fact, probably did wonders for intangibles such as his self-esteem.

There's no indication of Michael's belief in anything religious. So, his concern about hell would, indeed, be nominal. Like his father, in this world, materially, crime paid for him. But, unlike Vito, in this world his deeds can back to haunt him. Regardless of a hell or not, he experienced a version of it right here on terra firma.

Last edited by olivant; 03/27/08 02:43 PM.

"Generosity. That was my first mistake."
"Experience must be our only guide; reason may mislead us."
"Instagram is Twitter for people who can't read."
Re: Godfather theme?? [Re: olivant] #481670
03/27/08 02:56 PM
03/27/08 02:56 PM
dontomasso Offline
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline
Consigliere to the Stars

Originally Posted By: olivant
There's no indication of Michael's belief in anything religious. So, his concern about hell would, indeed, be nominal. Like his father, in this world, materially, crime paid for him. But, unlike Vito, in this world his deeds can back to haunt him. Regardless of a hell or not, he experienced a version of it right here on terra firma.

You forget the big Cathlic loophole. Michael went to confession and he was absolved of all his sins. Right after that he relinquished his role as Don and as far as we know he sinned no more. That being the case Michael is in heaven.

Re: Godfather theme?? [Re: dontomasso] #481704
03/27/08 06:29 PM
03/27/08 06:29 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas

You forget the big Cathlic loophole. Michael went to confession and he was absolved of all his sins. Right after that he relinquished his role as Don and as far as we know he sinned no more. That being the case Michael is in heaven.

So, at whose behest did Calo murder Lucchesi?

Also, per Catholic doctrine, absolution of sins is a function of one's acknowlegement that one has offended God. There is nothing in Michael's statements to indicate that acknowlegement.

In addition, his passage of the mantle of power over his crime family from himself to Vincent makes him complicit in Vincent's subsequent sinful actions and he incurs the same penalty.

In the words of George Carlin, "It was a sin to think about feeling up Helen; it was a sin to plan to feel up Helen; it was a sin to take Helen to a place to feel her up; and it was a sin to feel Helen up."

"Generosity. That was my first mistake."
"Experience must be our only guide; reason may mislead us."
"Instagram is Twitter for people who can't read."
Re: Godfather theme?? [Re: Turnbull] #481745
03/28/08 08:00 AM
03/28/08 08:00 AM
Berlin, Germany
Danito Offline
Underboss
Danito  Offline
Underboss
Berlin, Germany
 Originally Posted By: Danito
In GF1 he hardly had any other choice.

I believe he did have choice. See here for a discussion:

http://www.gangsterbb.net/threads/ubbthr...=true#Post18313

Wow! Thank your for this!!!
Honestly.

Re: Godfather theme?? [Re: olivant] #481755
03/28/08 09:53 AM
03/28/08 09:53 AM
dontomasso Offline
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline
Consigliere to the Stars

LOL on Carlin.

It was Vincent who ordered Calo to do the killing. Vincent ordered all those murders. When Michael gave it up he said to COnnie "I can't do it anymore." When he confessed o the Cardinal, he got absolution, but the cardinal said he doubted Michael would really repent, which is part of the process, however when Michael is speaking to the corpse of Don Tomassino he says "I will sin no more." He repented, and his pennance was
the death of his daughter.

So, at whose behest did Calo murder Lucchesi?

Also, per Catholic doctrine, absolution of sins is a function of one's acknowlegement that one has offended God. There is nothing in Michael's statements to indicate that acknowlegement.

In addition, his passage of the mantle of power over his crime family from himself to Vincent makes him complicit in Vincent's subsequent sinful actions and he incurs the same penalty.

In the words of George Carlin, "It was a sin to think about feeling up Helen; it was a sin to plan to feel up Helen; it was a sin to take Helen to a place to feel her up; and it was a sin to feel Helen up."

Re: Godfather theme?? [Re: Turnbull] #481798
03/28/08 01:15 PM
03/28/08 01:15 PM
Don_Gordhi Offline
Don of Corleone
Don_Gordhi  Offline
Don of Corleone
Wiseguy

is it a qoute from lord acton?

Re: Godfather theme?? [Re: Don_Gordhi] #481801
03/28/08 01:19 PM
03/28/08 01:19 PM
dontomasso Offline
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline
Consigliere to the Stars

Originally Posted By: Don_Gordhi

is it a qoute from lord acton?

Yes it is from Lord Acton.

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull