GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 582 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,603
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 24,081
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,517
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,372
Posts1,059,535
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Corleone Sarcasm #30698
07/17/05 04:28 PM
07/17/05 04:28 PM
NY
Darulerric Offline OP
Made Member
Darulerric  Offline OP
Made Member
NY
In the scene in the GF3 before the Massacre. Micheal was sayin how joey Zasa is the best dressed gangster and how hes famous. I think he was mocking Zasa, hows he wants to be famous but how the old dons never wanted to be known by everyone as a gangster etc.
I think it also kind of symbolic of how it was in real life. How the new style dons were very different then the old.

Re: Corleone Sarcasm #30699
07/17/05 05:45 PM
07/17/05 05:45 PM
New York
Sicilian Babe Offline
Sicilian Babe  Offline

New York
Very much so. The older generation never flashed their wealth. They tended to live in smaller homes, dress down, and so on. If I recall, there was a thread here not too long ago about how humble Hyman Roth's Florida house was.

President Emeritus of the Neal Pulcawer Fan Club
Re: Corleone Sarcasm #30700
07/17/05 06:00 PM
07/17/05 06:00 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
It's interesting how Michael goes from peacemaker between Zasa and Vincent to sarcastic references to Zasa to his face in Atlantic City almost overnight. Why, I wonder? The attempted hit on Vincent?

Speaking of Mafia tradition, etc. You have a rather reserved don in the old tradition like Castellano living in a mansion on Staten Island while the flamboyant Gotti lives in a modest home in Queens.

"Generosity. That was my first mistake."
"Experience must be our only guide; reason may mislead us."
"Instagram is Twitter for people who can't read."
Re: Corleone Sarcasm #30701
07/18/05 02:40 AM
07/18/05 02:40 AM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
Zasa was a combinaton of John Gotti (best-dressed, publicity hound) and Joe Columbo (poorly dressed, publicity hound). Zasa's "Meucci Society" = Columbo's "Italian-American Civil Rights League."

Olivant's point about Michael transitioning from peacemaker between Vincent and Zasa to Zasa's antagonist in Atlantic City is well taken. Obviously the AC sarcasm and insults were directorial license, designed to set up Zasa's angry exit and the helicopter attack. But there was a bit more to it:
A subtheme in GFIII is how Michael and Vincent used each other. Vincent maneuvered his way into Michael's party and got an audience with him by sucking up to Connie ("How's my favorite aunt?"). Once he got into Michael's office, he called out Zasa, in effect demanding that Michael take sides with him. Instead, Michael takes sides with Zasa, telling Vincent he was "foolish" to antagonize him and extolling "the goodness of [Zasa's] heart" when Zasa gave Vincent a job. "Make your peace with Mr. Joe Zasa," Michael demands. In effect, Michael gave Zasa a license to kill Vincent. So Vincent, his back to the wall, bites Zasa's ear. Now he's forced Uncle Mike to decide if blood is thicker than water. And Michael chooses Vincent.
Looks like Vincent outmaneuvered Michael, eh? Not so fast! Michael was putting Vincent to the test: how far was he willing to go to show that he really wanted to be a Corleone? IMO, Michael was using Vincent to test Zasa. He hated Zasa, but wanted to see if Zasa would move against him openly. Zasa's attempt to kill Vincent was proof enough: the attack on Vincent was an attack on Michael.
So, by the time of the AC meeting, Michael had nothing to hide--or lose--by openly antagonizing Zasa with his sarcasm. Vincent had served as his cat's paw for making Zasa show his true colors. And Vincent was his man, willing to do any violence to support his uncle. Who used whom?

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.
Re: Corleone Sarcasm #30702
07/18/05 10:26 AM
07/18/05 10:26 AM
fathersson Offline
Underboss
fathersson  Offline
Underboss
Originally posted by olivant:
Speaking of Mafia tradition, etc. You have a rather reserved don in the old tradition like Castellano living in a mansion on Staten Island while the flamboyant Gotti lives in a modest home in Queens.
That, what you call "modest" home where Goti lived is about
$750,000.00 to $850,000.00 dollars in that section. eek The Howard Beach Section.
Funny thing is that those same home sold for about $37,000.00 when new. lol

Then watch TV and see what his daughter is living in on Long Island. Now that is some piece of land. Even though it looks run down when you see the show in spots.

ONLY gun owners have the POWER to PROTECT and PRESERVE our FREEDOM.
"...it is their (the people's) right and duty to be at all times armed" - Thomas Jefferson, June 5, 1824

Everyone should read. "HOW TO KILL A MOCKING BIRD"

CAUTION: This Post has not been approved by Don Cardi.

You really don't expect people to believe your shit do you?

Read: "The Daily Apple"- Telling America and the Gangster BB like it really is!
Re: Corleone Sarcasm #30703
07/18/05 11:03 AM
07/18/05 11:03 AM
With Geary in Fredo's Brothel
dontomasso Offline
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline
Consigliere to the Stars

Originally posted by Turnbull:

So, by the time of the AC meeting, Michael had nothing to hide--or lose--by openly antagonizing Zasa with his sarcasm. Vincent had served as his cat's paw for making Zasa show his true colors. And Vincent was his man, willing to do any violence to support his uncle. Who used whom?
Great point TB. Vito used sarcasm, but in a less heavy handed way than Michael. He uses it early on with Johnny Fontaine in the "You can act like a man" scene, where he pretends to be crying. We see it again in the scene right before Tom tells him that Sonny is dead, Vito says : But you needed a drink first....now you've had your drink, so tell your Godfather what everyone else seems to know.

Michael's sarcasm is more direct and it is darker. Snyde comments like "he's been dying of the same heart attack for years," and "you can take your wife and your mistress" show Mike to be a more cynical man than his father.

"Io sono stanco, sono imbigliato, and I wan't everyone here to know, there ain't gonna be no trouble from me..Don Corleone..Cicc' a port!"

"I stood in the courtroom like a fool."

"I am Constanza: Lord of the idiots."

Re: Corleone Sarcasm #30704
07/19/05 02:34 AM
07/19/05 02:34 AM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
Originally posted by dontomasso:
Vito used sarcasm, but in a less heavy handed way than Michael.
That's true in the scenes you cited, dt. But in the deleted scene after Connie's wedding, where Vito and Michael are about to drive to visit Genco on his deathbed, Vito's much more sarcastic. "Did your American girlfriend [emphasis in original] get home alright?" Vito asks, rolling his eyes in disapproval. At the hospital, he flicks Michael's medals and asks, "What are these...Christmas ribbons for?" "For bravery," replies Michael. "What miracles you perform for strangers," Vito says. Ouch!!

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.
Re: Corleone Sarcasm #30705
08/01/05 10:01 AM
08/01/05 10:01 AM
dontomasso Offline
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline
Consigliere to the Stars

Ouch is right TB.

One of my favorite snide comments is when Michael is talking to COnnie and Merle -- or I should say avcoiding talking to Merle-- and he says "Why do you come to me? Why don't you go to a travel agent?"

"Io sono stanco, sono imbigliato, and I wan't everyone here to know, there ain't gonna be no trouble from me..Don Corleone..Cicc' a port!"

"I stood in the courtroom like a fool."

"I am Constanza: Lord of the idiots."

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull