GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
2 registered members (m2w, 1 invisible), 210 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,497
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 23,948
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,513
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,344
Posts1,058,964
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
What Failed Policies? #477532
03/05/08 02:27 PM
03/05/08 02:27 PM
With Geary in Fredo's Brothel
dontomasso Offline OP
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline OP
Consigliere to the Stars

I don't want to start a "liberal-conservative" food fight here, but yesterday I heard McCain repeat a phrase you hear GOP candidates saying all the time, namely "We do'nt want a return to the failed policies of the Democrats." My question is what
"failed policies?" In the '60's we passed Civil Rights, Voting Rights, Medicare, Medicaid, Head Start, the beginnings of the EPA which Nixon ratified, COLA adjustments to Social Security and
the Freedom of Information Act. Does anyone really think these are "failed policies?"

Obviouly Vietnam was a "failed policy" but that was a bipartisan
failure.

The next Democrat in office was Carter, who as far as I can tell
had no policies which screwed us domestically, although he did the right things with Egypt and Israel, the Panama Canal and emphasis on human rights. After him was Clinton who balanced the budget and had solid domestic and foreign policies.

So when the right talks about the "failed policies of the past," what exactly are they talking about?

"Io sono stanco, sono imbigliato, and I wan't everyone here to know, there ain't gonna be no trouble from me..Don Corleone..Cicc' a port!"

"I stood in the courtroom like a fool."

"I am Constanza: Lord of the idiots."

Re: What Failed Policies? [Re: dontomasso] #477536
03/05/08 02:29 PM
03/05/08 02:29 PM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
That's why I fucking hate partisan politics.

"I got news for you. If it wasn't for the toilet, there would be no books." --- George Costanza.
Re: What Failed Policies? [Re: pizzaboy] #477543
03/05/08 02:38 PM
03/05/08 02:38 PM
OH, VA, KY
Mignon Offline
Mama Mig
Mignon  Offline
Mama Mig

OH, VA, KY
Maybe nafta? Just a guess.

Last edited by Mignon; 03/05/08 02:38 PM.

Dylan Matthew Moran born 10/30/12

Re: What Failed Policies? [Re: Mignon] #477550
03/05/08 02:56 PM
03/05/08 02:56 PM
dontomasso Offline OP
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline OP
Consigliere to the Stars

Originally Posted By: Mignon
Maybe nafta? Just a guess.

That was bipartisan as well. In fact the GOP was pushing it harder than the left wing of the Dems, and it was Clinton and some moderate Dems and All the GOP in the Senate who pushed NAFTA through. That was in 93 I think.

"Io sono stanco, sono imbigliato, and I wan't everyone here to know, there ain't gonna be no trouble from me..Don Corleone..Cicc' a port!"

"I stood in the courtroom like a fool."

"I am Constanza: Lord of the idiots."

Re: What Failed Policies? [Re: dontomasso] #477567
03/05/08 03:52 PM
03/05/08 03:52 PM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club
 Originally Posted By: dontomasso

So when the right talks about the "failed policies of the past," what exactly are they talking about?

POST Nixon policies, or should we say... non-policies. \:p

The pre-Nixon Democrats were more towards the middle and from Carter on started to swayyyy wayyyy over to the left! \:p \:p

Don Cardi cool

Five - ten years from now, they're gonna wish there was American Cosa Nostra. Five - ten years from now, they're gonna miss John Gotti.

Re: What Failed Policies? [Re: Don Cardi] #477580
03/05/08 04:09 PM
03/05/08 04:09 PM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
That's actually true, DC.

A left wing agenda was clearly more prevalant in the Democratic Party post-Nixon.

I think as a whole, the party felt that after Watergate, it was okay to take the gloves off.

That's when both parties went off the deep end.

"I got news for you. If it wasn't for the toilet, there would be no books." --- George Costanza.
Re: What Failed Policies? [Re: dontomasso] #477723
03/06/08 01:46 AM
03/06/08 01:46 AM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
 Originally Posted By: dontomasso
I don't want to start a "liberal-conservative" food fight here, but yesterday I heard McCain repeat a phrase you hear GOP candidates saying all the time, namely "We do'nt want a return to the failed policies of the Democrats." My question is what
"failed policies?" In the '60's we passed Civil Rights, Voting Rights, Medicare, Medicaid, Head Start, the beginnings of the EPA which Nixon ratified, COLA adjustments to Social Security and
the Freedom of Information Act. Does anyone really think these are "failed policies?"

Obviouly Vietnam was a "failed policy" but that was a bipartisan
failure.

The next Democrat in office was Carter, who as far as I can tell
had no policies which screwed us domestically, although he did the right things with Egypt and Israel, the Panama Canal and emphasis on human rights. After him was Clinton who balanced the budget and had solid domestic and foreign policies.

Failed policies is simply a euphenism for policies with which Republicans don't agree.

"Generosity. That was my first mistake."
"Experience must be our only guide; reason may mislead us."
"Instagram is Twitter for people who can't read."
Re: What Failed Policies? [Re: Don Cardi] #477840
03/06/08 04:09 PM
03/06/08 04:09 PM
Little Chicago
Tony Love Offline
Underboss
Tony Love  Offline
Underboss
Little Chicago
 Originally Posted By: Don Cardi

POST Nixon policies, or should we say... non-policies. \:p

The pre-Nixon Democrats were more towards the middle and from Carter on started to swayyyy wayyyy over to the left! \:p \:p

That's definitely true, but my question is, what has inspired the shift? Was it the Nixon administration? Watergate? Or was it just a turn of political tide?

Just a thought..

"Any American who is prepared to run for president should automatically, by definition, be disqualified from ever doing so"-Gore Vidal
"Conformity is the jailer of freedom and enemy of growth"-John Fitzgerald Kennedy
"The reason the mainstream is thought of as a stream is because of its shallowness"-George Carlin
Re: What Failed Policies? [Re: Tony Love] #477848
03/06/08 04:31 PM
03/06/08 04:31 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
Many pre-Nixon Democrats were souhteners who still retained vestigaes of the Old South - racial prejudice and fervent nationalism with isolationist tendencies. Post Nixon, they became Republicans. That left the Democratic Party with a core of left of center members.

Last edited by olivant; 03/06/08 04:31 PM.

Re: What Failed Policies? [Re: Tony Love] #477861
03/06/08 05:05 PM
03/06/08 05:05 PM
Pennsylvania
klydon1 Offline
klydon1  Offline

Pennsylvania
 Originally Posted By: Tony Love
That's definitely true, but my question is, what has inspired the shift? Was it the Nixon administration? Watergate? Or was it just a turn of political tide?

Just a thought..

After Nixon and Watergate I believe there was a general feeling of disgust and disdain for the corruption in politics, and a yearning to embrace simpler and more wholesome times.

As a result, we elected Jimmy Carter in 1976. he was relatively unknown, but was a genuine down-home guy. John Denver became even more popular and "The Waltons" was a top tv show. Many of the top movies post Nixon were touchy feely.

Of course, the hostage crisis hit us in late-1979 and the pendulum started swinging the opposite way, and paved the way for Ronald Reagan, who had no prayer of being elected in '76.

The pendulum keeps swinging.

Re: What Failed Policies? [Re: olivant] #478049
03/07/08 02:31 AM
03/07/08 02:31 AM
Little Chicago
Tony Love Offline
Underboss
Tony Love  Offline
Underboss
Little Chicago
 Originally Posted By: olivant
Many pre-Nixon Democrats were souhteners who still retained vestigaes of the Old South - racial prejudice and fervent nationalism with isolationist tendencies. Post Nixon, they became Republicans. That left the Democratic Party with a core of left of center members.

You have a very valid point. Yesterday's Dixiecrats are today's Republican Party. Though they may have been isolationist pre-Nixon, I think they've taken an opposite turn after his presidency.

What's really interesting is to see how the democratic party has evolved. It's evolved from the early 60's from the New Frontier set out by Kennedy, and took on to such a counter-culture after he was assassinated that his supporters took a fascination to those he opposed (Castro, other communists..). It's outlined in this book I got for Christmas, which I would recommend to anyone who's interested in the political thought current flowing in this country during the 1960's. It's called Camelot and the Cultural Revolution: How the Assassination of John F. Kennedy Shattered American Liberalism. Kennedy has captured my interest very much, not only because of the highly suspicious assassination, but also because of his short presidency, and the ideas to come from it.

"Any American who is prepared to run for president should automatically, by definition, be disqualified from ever doing so"-Gore Vidal
"Conformity is the jailer of freedom and enemy of growth"-John Fitzgerald Kennedy
"The reason the mainstream is thought of as a stream is because of its shallowness"-George Carlin
Re: What Failed Policies? [Re: Tony Love] #478325
03/08/08 12:25 AM
03/08/08 12:25 AM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
Yes, JFK represented an evolving Democratic Party that was recognizing the moral degradation of racial segregation, but had authetic concerns about eroding federalism. That all collided with the counter-culture which found vast numbers among college-age babyboomers who were just discovering their wings. Unfortunately, many of them flew smack into the wall of drugs, free-love, pretentious anti-everything, and eventual disillusionment.

Oh. Oswald murdered JFK unassisted and unaided.

Re: What Failed Policies? [Re: olivant] #478672
03/09/08 08:41 PM
03/09/08 08:41 PM
South of the Pinelands
MaryCas Offline
MaryCas  Offline

South of the Pinelands
Was the failed policy the one where Presidents would only have sex with their wives in the White House? ;\)

Whoever exalts himself will be humbled, whoever humbles himself will be exalted - Matthew 23:12
Re: What Failed Policies? [Re: MaryCas] #478717
03/10/08 08:09 AM
03/10/08 08:09 AM
P
Partagas Offline
Partagas  Offline
P

Originally Posted By: MaryCas
Was the failed policy the one where Presidents would only have sex with their wives in the White House? ;\)

"wives" ??? Ummm is Mitt Romney back in the race?

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull