GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (BarrettM), 328 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,491
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 23,925
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,512
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,334
Posts1,058,830
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Sonny's one good idea [Re: Don Cardi] #477519
03/05/08 02:03 PM
03/05/08 02:03 PM
With Geary in Fredo's Brothel
dontomasso Offline
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline
Consigliere to the Stars

Let's say Sonny had managed to kill Bruno Tattaglia, whom he believed to be behind Sollozzo. With Vito still alove but weakened, such a move would have probably forced the remnants of the Tattaglia family and all the other families into an alliance with Barzini, and perhaps other families from out of New York, including the Molinaris on the coast against the Corleones. To that end Tom was right in his advice to Sonny...that with the stories about McCluskey circulating, things were starting to loosen up and money was starting to come back in. At that point, the family was considerably weaker han it had been, and Tom was absolutely right to tke a wait and see approach.

All the sibling rivalry stuff that we have covered in other threads considered, Sonny refused to take Tom's advice, assuming he was not a wartime consigliere like Genco was, and made the incredibly bad decision that "business will have to sufer."
This is 180 degrees opposite to what Mike and Vito eventually did. They went out of their way to lay low. They knew the family did not have the kind of muscle it needed to win a war, and they knew they had to keep things greased lest the other families turn on them (which they were already doing, i.e. chiseling away at Tessio and Clemenza's territories). Michael secretly built up the Neri regime, something that did not escape Tom's eye, and when the time was right he mde his move. His brilliance was in the timing. He waited until he had the muscle, until after the Baptism and his being named Godfather to Connie's child before he paid his "visit" to the heads of the families and to Carlo.

All of this is pretty much in line with what Hagen would have recommended IMHO, and in fact Hagen played an integral rle in the planning and execution of the hit on Tessio, which he handled brilliantly, as well as the hit on Carlo. He was also an instrumental layer in the hits at the end of GFII. So what I am saying here is that while Sonny and Michael were always quick to dismiss Tom as not a wartime consigliere, perhaps he was not as bad as all that after all.

"Io sono stanco, sono imbigliato, and I wan't everyone here to know, there ain't gonna be no trouble from me..Don Corleone..Cicc' a port!"

"I stood in the courtroom like a fool."

"I am Constanza: Lord of the idiots."

Re: Sonny's one good idea [Re: dontomasso] #477521
03/05/08 02:06 PM
03/05/08 02:06 PM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
Good post, DT.

I agree. I think Tom was at least as good a Consigliere as Sonny was a Don.

"I got news for you. If it wasn't for the toilet, there would be no books." --- George Costanza.
Re: Sonny's one good idea [Re: dontomasso] #477569
03/05/08 03:56 PM
03/05/08 03:56 PM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club
 Originally Posted By: dontomasso
Let's say Sonny had managed to kill Bruno Tattaglia,

He did! \:p

"After the hospital thing, Sonny got mad. We hit Bruno Tattaglia 4 o'clock this morning."

;\) I know who you really meant. Good post DonT. Some good points,

Don Cardi cool

Five - ten years from now, they're gonna wish there was American Cosa Nostra. Five - ten years from now, they're gonna miss John Gotti.

Re: Sonny's one good idea [Re: The Last Woltz] #477575
03/05/08 04:03 PM
03/05/08 04:03 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
 Originally Posted By: The Last Woltz
Exactly.

Absent well-thought out goals and clear strategies, I have trouble crediting Sonny with *ANY* good ideas, even if some of his thoughts were later executed successfully by Michael. Sonny would have screwed things up, somehow or other.

"All you people want is more, more, more. Leave Sonny alone!"

"Generosity. That was my first mistake."
"Experience must be our only guide; reason may mislead us."
"Instagram is Twitter for people who can't read."
Re: Sonny's one good idea [Re: Don Cardi] #477601
03/05/08 05:05 PM
03/05/08 05:05 PM
dontomasso Offline
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline
Consigliere to the Stars

Originally Posted By: Don Cardi
 Originally Posted By: dontomasso
Let's say Sonny had managed to kill Bruno Tattaglia,

He did! \:p

"After the hospital thing, Sonny got mad. We hit Bruno Tattaglia 4 o'clock this morning."

;\) I know who you really meant. Good post DonT. Some good points,

Bruno Tattaglia, Phillip Tattaglia....they all look the same to me.

"Io sono stanco, sono imbigliato, and I wan't everyone here to know, there ain't gonna be no trouble from me..Don Corleone..Cicc' a port!"

"I stood in the courtroom like a fool."

"I am Constanza: Lord of the idiots."

Re: Sonny's one good idea [Re: dontomasso] #477649
03/05/08 07:15 PM
03/05/08 07:15 PM
MI
Lilo Offline
Lilo  Offline

MI
Nice post DT.
I agree that Tom gets a bad rap in a lot of respects.

But Sonny didn't have the freedom to lie low and play possum for two or three years.
He was in a hot war he didn't choose and the entire Corleone power was at stake.

He couldn't negotiate the Sollozzo deal (without Sollozzo) which is the least of what the other Families wanted.
He could not replace the consigliere or get new capos as Mike/Vito did.

His only choice was to surrender or come out swinging.

Mike and Vito were able to make their plans and lay low because as Boss, Vito had the power to unilaterally change the Corleone Family policy on drug trafficking. This brought them the critical time to train Michael, build secret regimes and expand/transfer political power. Sonny didn't have that kind of time.

Even though Sonny disagreed with the initial policy and was at least tangentially to blame for the ensuing war, there's no way Sonny would have gone against his father in a matter of business and told the other Families that he would now support drug trafficking, regardless of what Vito had said.

We can really ask the question of why didn't Vito order Sonny/Tom to give in and make the same plans with them as he later did with Michael. The story wouldn't have been as interesting of course.

"When the snows fall and the white winds blow, the lone wolf dies but the pack survives."
Winter is Coming

Now this is the Law of the Jungle—as old and as true as the sky; And the wolf that shall keep it may prosper, but the wolf that shall break it must die.
As the creeper that girdles the tree-trunk, the Law runneth forward and back; For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack.
Re: Sonny's one good idea [Re: Lilo] #477697
03/05/08 09:34 PM
03/05/08 09:34 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
 Originally Posted By: Lilo
We can really ask the question of why didn't Vito order Sonny/Tom to give in and make the same plans with them as he later did with Michael. The story wouldn't have been as interesting of course.

Vito was holding out for his position--no drugs--until events forced his hand. I think he was depending on Sonny to mount a holding action until he got better and could take command. But when Sonny was assassinated, he had to act in a conciliatory fashion--he had no choice. And he had to give in to bring Michael back safely from Sicily, to assume command of the family. Those needs made Vito change course.

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.
Re: Sonny's one good idea [Re: Lilo] #477701
03/05/08 09:54 PM
03/05/08 09:54 PM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club

I think that had Sonny still had Luca Brasi at his side, and a wartime consigliere like Genco, things would have been much different. I think that he just may have successfully wiped out most of his enemies and may have been able to sustain the family during the war until the Don was healthy enough to get back in the chair.

Originally Posted By: Turnbull

I think he was depending on Sonny to mount a holding action until he got better and could take command.

And I agree with Turnbull in that Vito was depending on Sonny to hold things together until he was healthy enough to take back control.

Don Cardi cool

Five - ten years from now, they're gonna wish there was American Cosa Nostra. Five - ten years from now, they're gonna miss John Gotti.

Re: Sonny's one good idea [Re: Don Cardi] #477739
03/06/08 06:03 AM
03/06/08 06:03 AM
MI
Lilo Offline
Lilo  Offline

MI

I think that had Sonny still had Luca Brasi at his side, and a wartime consigliere like Genco, things would have been much different. I think that he just may have successfully wiped out most of his enemies and may have been able to sustain the family during the war until the Don was healthy enough to get back in the chair.

Originally Posted By: Turnbull

I think he was depending on Sonny to mount a holding action until he got better and could take command.

And I agree with Turnbull in that Vito was depending on Sonny to hold things together until he was healthy enough to take back control.

In the novel Sonny does not consider the murders of all the other Family heads until the Corleone Family position becomes dangerously precarious. The Family is somewhat overmatched. The Don's political network is neutralized; Tom is not quite a wartime consigliere; Tessio has mellowed and Clemenza lacks "youthful energy". Sonny had wanted to fight a holding action until his father could rejoin the fray but events on the ground made that impossible. Sonny was nearing a point where he had to either "go long or go home".

We agree on that.
Yes, Vito was depending on his eldest son to hold things together.
And Sonny was not as smart or as cunning as Vito or Michael.
All I'm saying is that Sonny's hand was forced in a way that Michael's wasn't. So his aggressive defense of Family power was the best move that could be made at that time.

If Vito had given Sonny permission to assent to the drug deal (for strategic purposes) and Sonny refused because he wanted immediate revenge that would be a different story.

"When the snows fall and the white winds blow, the lone wolf dies but the pack survives."
Winter is Coming

Now this is the Law of the Jungle—as old and as true as the sky; And the wolf that shall keep it may prosper, but the wolf that shall break it must die.
As the creeper that girdles the tree-trunk, the Law runneth forward and back; For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack.
Re: Sonny's one good idea [Re: Lilo] #477766
03/06/08 12:21 PM
03/06/08 12:21 PM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club
I'll agree with that Lilo. And that is why iinitially said that although Sonny may not have been as calculating and as cunning as Vito or Michael, he was dealt the hand that he had to play and really didn't do a bad job, in regards to fighting a war, considering the manner in which his hand was forced and his losing a major ally, a major force, in Luca Brasi.

Don Cardi cool

Re: Sonny's one good idea [Re: Don Cardi] #477775
03/06/08 12:48 PM
03/06/08 12:48 PM
O
OneMore Offline
Associate
OneMore  Offline
O
Associate
I agree with that too.

Re: Sonny's one good idea [Re: OneMore] #477843
03/06/08 04:21 PM
03/06/08 04:21 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
Sonny was the Patton of the underworld. He knew how to fight and win, but not when to fight. He was brash and rash, stubborn, and pedantic.

Re: Sonny's one good idea [Re: olivant] #477908
03/06/08 06:33 PM
03/06/08 06:33 PM
MI
Lilo Offline
Lilo  Offline

MI
 Originally Posted By: olivant
Sonny was the Patton of the underworld. He knew how to fight and win, but not when to fight. He was brash and rash, stubborn, and pedantic.

EXACTLY! I was thinking of using that very analogy earlier...
Perfect, Olivant..

Winter is Coming

Re: Sonny's one good idea [Re: Lilo] #477970
03/06/08 07:45 PM
03/06/08 07:45 PM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club
Yes olivant, an EXCELLENT analogy!

Don Cardi cool

Re: Sonny's one good idea [Re: Don Cardi] #478207
03/07/08 03:28 PM
03/07/08 03:28 PM
In a van down by the river!
Longneck Offline
Longneck  Offline

In a van down by the river!
I disagree with the when to fight part, Sonny's downfall was his rash judgment which caused him to fly off the handle (at Carlo) instead of being careful and sending someone to get Carlo and bring him to Sonny.

Long as I remember The rain been coming down.
Clouds of Mystery pouring Confusion on the ground.
Good men through the ages, Trying to find the sun;
And I wonder, Still I wonder, Who'll stop the rain.

Re: Sonny's one good idea [Re: Longneck] #478213
03/07/08 03:33 PM
03/07/08 03:33 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
 Originally Posted By: Longneck
I disagree with the when to fight part, Sonny's downfall was his rash judgment which caused him to fly off the handle (at Carlo) instead of being careful and sending someone to get Carlo and bring him to Sonny.

"A rose by any other name ..."

Re: Sonny's one good idea [Re: Longneck] #478238
03/07/08 04:33 PM
03/07/08 04:33 PM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club
 Originally Posted By: Longneck

And that translates into knowing when to fight vs. knowing when to retreat, back off and plan your next fight.

Don Cardi cool

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull