GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
2 registered members (m2w, 1 invisible), 299 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,538
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 23,996
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,513
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,357
Posts1,059,163
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Who Beheaded Khartoum? #30555
07/08/05 01:29 PM
07/08/05 01:29 PM
With Geary in Fredo's Brothel
dontomasso Offline OP
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline OP
Consigliere to the Stars

Props to Apple who inspired this thread in response to my PM.

I understand this subject has been visited before, and I also understand that there is some sense that Tom Brought Luca Brasi along "just in case."

Actually I don't think it would have been Luca for a couple of reasons. First off, I think Luca probably left the wedding right after he and the Don had their little talk.
Second, Tom would have had to get a late afternoon or early evening flight out to LA (or at least to some destination in the west) immediately. Luca in the 1940's does not stike me as the kind of guy who would enjoy flying, and I am not too sure that Tom would want him as a seat mate on a coast to coast ride on a DC 3. Third, Luca would be way too conspicuous flying on a plane with Tom (who after all wasn't on the muscle end of the family).

My guesses would be:

1) Someone in the labor union that the Corleones controlled in LA (remember Tom told Woltz that hey was going to have labor troubles).

2) An insider at Woltz' house...maybe the guy who showed them the horse.

3) The star who was moving from marijuana to heroin. Tom would have told the star that he knew a guy in New york named Sollozzo who could supply him for life, and that the Corleones would pay for it if only he would do the family a "small service."

"Io sono stanco, sono imbigliato, and I wan't everyone here to know, there ain't gonna be no trouble from me..Don Corleone..Cicc' a port!"

"I stood in the courtroom like a fool."

"I am Constanza: Lord of the idiots."

Re: Who Beheaded Khartoum? #30556
07/08/05 02:07 PM
07/08/05 02:07 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
People with the Molinari family on the coast.

"Generosity. That was my first mistake."
"Experience must be our only guide; reason may mislead us."
"Instagram is Twitter for people who can't read."
Re: Who Beheaded Khartoum? #30557
07/08/05 02:26 PM
07/08/05 02:26 PM
New Jersey
AppleOnYa Offline
AppleOnYa  Offline

New Jersey
Wouldn't it be a riot if it were Fredo?

From what I've read, he was 'tougher' in the novel anyway.

That would give a whole new dimension to his rant in GFII...

"You're my kid brother and you take care of me. Did you ever think about that - did you ever once think about that! Send FREDO off to do this; send FREDO off to do that! Let FREDO to take care of some Mickey Mouse night club somewhere! Send FREDO to cut up some god damn horse! Send FREDO to pick somebody up at the airport!!..."

A wise and frugal government, which shall leave men free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned - this is the sum of good government.

- THOMAS JEFFERSON

Re: Who Beheaded Khartoum? #30558
07/08/05 02:55 PM
07/08/05 02:55 PM
The Slippery Slope
plawrence Offline
RIP StatMan
plawrence  Offline
RIP StatMan
The Slippery Slope
According to the book, Hagen returned from California late Tuesday evening and told Don C. the results of his meeting with Woltz. Then, on Wednesday, Vito gave Hagen his instructions.

Puzo writes that "the instructions consumed the rest of Hagen's working day....."

From that, I don't think that there is much that we can assume, other than the fact that even if Luca was along on the trip with Tom, and I also tend to think that he wasn't, nothing was done for at least a few days (assuming that Connie's wedding took place on the prior Saturday or Sunday).

The instructions that Tom carried out could have been anything.

Remember that, as Puzo again wrote, it was wartime and transcontinental flights were not so readily available to civilians, so Tom possibly spent the day making Luca's travel arrangements.

Or, as has been suggested, setting up the beheading with friends of the Corleones on the coast, either muscle from within the labor union or from another family.

I can't see some heroin-addicted actor doing it, though. This was a job for a professional, and a man of strength. I don't imagine that it's easy to hack a horse's head off.

"Difficult....not impossible"
Re: Who Beheaded Khartoum? #30560
07/08/05 03:06 PM
07/08/05 03:06 PM
New Jersey
AppleOnYa Offline
AppleOnYa  Offline

New Jersey
Originally posted by plawrence:
... I don't think that there is much that we can assume, other than the fact that even if Luca was along on the trip with Tom, and I also tend to think that he wasn't, nothing was done for at least a few days (assuming that Connie's wedding took place on the prior Saturday or Sunday)...
That's a good point.

Because the scene where Woltz wakes up to find the head takes place immediately after Tom leaves the house, it is easy to assume that Khartoum was killed that same night.
Probably not though..something of that scale (not just the slaughter but getting the head into the house, upstairs and into the bed) would have to be arranged carefully.

This was no simple 'Leave the gun; take the cannoli's' job!

Apple

A wise and frugal government, which shall leave men free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned - this is the sum of good government.

- THOMAS JEFFERSON

Re: Who Beheaded Khartoum? #30561
07/08/05 03:15 PM
07/08/05 03:15 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
The butler did it!

Re: Who Beheaded Khartoum? #30562
07/08/05 04:33 PM
07/08/05 04:33 PM
New York
Sicilian Babe Offline
Sicilian Babe  Offline

New York
Tony, the stable guy, would've had to have something to do with it. Didn't the book mention that it was odd that nobody heard a sound from the stables, although Woltz had workers there?

I would also assume that they would've had to drug Woltz, because it can't be easy to sneak a horse's head into somebody's room. What amazed me is, between the blood and the satin sheets, that he didn't just slide right out of bed.

President Emeritus of the Neal Pulcawer Fan Club
Re: Who Beheaded Khartoum? #30563
07/08/05 06:03 PM
07/08/05 06:03 PM
Newcastle-upon-Tyne UK
Yogi Barrabbas Offline
Yogi Barrabbas  Offline

Newcastle-upon-Tyne UK
Whoever it was probably used an axe i reckon...

I would rather die on my feet than live on my knees!
Re: Who Beheaded Khartoum? #30564
07/09/05 05:41 PM
07/09/05 05:41 PM
Virginia Beach
Don of Dons Offline
Wiseguy
Don of Dons  Offline
Wiseguy
Virginia Beach
rumor has it that this will be one of the missions in the new upcoming video game. i know this should be placed in the other boards concerning games, but it seemed relevant. either way, maybe i'll be the one to wack khartoum. wink

Re: Who Beheaded Khartoum? #30565
07/11/05 10:15 AM
07/11/05 10:15 AM
dontomasso Offline OP
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline OP
Consigliere to the Stars

Actually in one of the versions of the trilogy ( I think its the sequential one) we see that Woltz is doing that young girl starlet, and that Tom has in fact returned from California before the horse is killed. In a conference with Sonny and the Don, Tom contemplates the idea of using the girl as blackmail, but they reject the idea, and then, they obviously come up with a more heady idea.

P.S. In GF 4 we learn that some of Khartoum's sperm was frozen and that he ended up siring a racehorse which won the Kentucky Derby.

"Io sono stanco, sono imbigliato, and I wan't everyone here to know, there ain't gonna be no trouble from me..Don Corleone..Cicc' a port!"

Re: Who Beheaded Khartoum? #30566
07/11/05 10:24 AM
07/11/05 10:24 AM
New Jersey
AppleOnYa Offline
AppleOnYa  Offline

New Jersey
Originally posted by dontomasso:
... In a conference with Sonny and the Don, Tom contemplates the idea of using the girl as blackmail, but they reject the idea, and then, they obviously come up with a more heady idea...
Interesting (sort of)...but it doesn't address your initial inquiry as to exactly WHO killed the horse.

Apple

- THOMAS JEFFERSON

Re: Who Beheaded Khartoum? #30567
07/11/05 10:43 AM
07/11/05 10:43 AM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club
I say that it HAD to be an inside job. Someone on the inside of Woltz's estate had to be bought off. It's the only way that the job could have been done. Someone close and trusted by Woltz. My bet would be that the stable guy, which I think is named Tony, was the guy who was bought off to kill the horse. It did not appear to me that Woltz was the kind of guy who was loved by his workers. Now I don't think that Tom would have been the one to approach Tony the stable guy. It would have had to be done through a third party, perhaps someone from the Molinari family, as to not tie the job directly to Johnny and The Corleones.

Don Cardi cool

Don Cardi cool

Five - ten years from now, they're gonna wish there was American Cosa Nostra. Five - ten years from now, they're gonna miss John Gotti.

Re: Who Beheaded Khartoum? #30568
07/11/05 11:05 AM
07/11/05 11:05 AM
California
X
XDCX Offline
XDCX  Offline
X

California
Michael killed the horse. It was the beginning of Michaels descent into darkness and ruthlessness. Or at least that's what he wanted it to be. Mike killed Khartoum, in the hopes that they would consider that as "making his bones." Sonny and Vito just laughed at him, so Mike got mad and left, didn't come back until he found out his father was shot. Even after Mike got punched in the face by McKlusky, he didn't really wanna whack him. Here's my take on how the plot went down:

MIKE: I don't wanna kill em, Sonny, I DON'T WANNA! [Linked Image]

SONNY: Now you listen here, you prissy little college punk! You're gonna go to that restaurant, your gonna stuff that turkey, your gonna roast that pig, and that's that! Then we're gonna ship you off to Sicily where you can get a little bit of culture!

It was Mike. smile

"Growing up my dad was like 'You have a great last name, Galifianakis. Galifianakis...begins with a gal...and ends with a kiss...' I'm like that's great dad, can we get it changed to 'Galifianafuck' please?" -- Zach Galifianakis

Re: Who Beheaded Khartoum? #30569
07/11/05 11:24 AM
07/11/05 11:24 AM
The Slippery Slope
plawrence Offline
RIP StatMan
plawrence  Offline
RIP StatMan
The Slippery Slope
Originally posted by Don Cardi:
I say that it HAD to be an inside job. Someone on the inside of Woltz's estate had to be bought off. It's the only way that the job could have been done. Someone close and trusted by Woltz. My bet would be that the stable guy, which I think is named Tony, was the guy who was bought off to kill the horse.
I don't think it was Tony who did the actual killing, but he was certainly paid off to look the other way.

In the book, Puzo writes

The men on night duty claimed they had heard nothing. To Woltz this seemed impossible. They had been bought off and they could be made to tell who had done the buying.

"Difficult....not impossible"
Re: Who Beheaded Khartoum? #30570
07/11/05 04:55 PM
07/11/05 04:55 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
In the book, Woltz speculates that for it to have happened his whole staff would have had to have been rendered moot. As I said above and as Cardi says, I'll bet it was carried out by the Molinari family. They were goldfish lovers anyway.

Re: Who Beheaded Khartoum? #30571
07/11/05 05:02 PM
07/11/05 05:02 PM
dontomasso Offline OP
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline OP
Consigliere to the Stars

Then again it could have been Johnny Fontaine and his rat pack buddies in a drunken stupor.

Re: Who Beheaded Khartoum? #30572
07/12/05 08:26 AM
07/12/05 08:26 AM
H
henry Offline
Button
henry  Offline
H
Button
Has anyone considered it may have been one of the other horses envious of all the praise heaped on Cartoon by his owner?

Re: Who Beheaded Khartoum? #30573
07/12/05 09:04 AM
07/12/05 09:04 AM
New Jersey
AppleOnYa Offline
AppleOnYa  Offline

New Jersey
Originally posted by henry:
Has anyone considered it may have been one of the other horses envious of all the praise heaped on Cartoon by his owner?
No, because it's physically impossible for a horse to behead another horse.

Because an animal couldn't possibly come up with the idea.

Because it was the Corleone Family who needed to relay a message to Mr. Woltz, not a jealous stable horse.

Apple

ps - I realize henry's post was made in complete fun and I was having fun in response...BUT the spelling of 'Cartoon' has GOT to be either a joke or just about the silliest thing I've ever seen on this Board (many of my own posts excepted)...especially considering the correct spelling of the horse's name is right there in the subject line.

Please don't take the above comment personally...as a general rule, I embrace all kinds of people's cultures and opinions.

- THOMAS JEFFERSON

Re: Who Beheaded Khartoum? #30574
07/12/05 09:09 AM
07/12/05 09:09 AM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club
Originally posted by AppleOnYa:
Please don't take the above comment personally...as a general rule, I embrace all kinds of people's cultures and opinions.
Isn't this statement something that should be posted over in General under the THINGS YOU WOULD NEVER HEAR ON THE BB topic? lol wink

Don Cardi cool

Don Cardi cool

Five - ten years from now, they're gonna wish there was American Cosa Nostra. Five - ten years from now, they're gonna miss John Gotti.

Re: Who Beheaded Khartoum? #30575
07/12/05 09:14 AM
07/12/05 09:14 AM
New Jersey
AppleOnYa Offline
AppleOnYa  Offline

New Jersey
Don Cardi,

[Linked Image]

Apple

- THOMAS JEFFERSON

Re: Who Beheaded Khartoum? #30576
07/12/05 10:32 AM
07/12/05 10:32 AM
Yunkai
afsaneh77 Offline
Mother of Dragons
afsaneh77  Offline
Mother of Dragons

Yunkai
Khartoum committed suicide. tongue

"Fire cannot kill a dragon." -Daenerys Targaryen, Game of Thrones
Re: Who Beheaded Khartoum? #30577
07/12/05 01:45 PM
07/12/05 01:45 PM
dontomasso Offline OP
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline OP
Consigliere to the Stars

Originally posted by AppleOnYa:
Originally posted by henry:
[b] Has anyone considered it may have been one of the other horses envious of all the praise heaped on Cartoon by his owner?
No, because it's physically impossible for a horse to behead another horse.

Because an animal couldn't possibly come up with the idea.

[/b]
UNLESS OF COURSE THE NAME OF THE HORSE IS THE FAMOUS MISTER ED!

Re: Who Beheaded Khartoum? #30578
07/12/05 01:54 PM
07/12/05 01:54 PM
New Jersey
AppleOnYa Offline
AppleOnYa  Offline

New Jersey
HOW TRUE, dontom !!!

lol

So to find out for sure who beheaded Khartoum...

Go right to the source and ask the horse....!!!

Apple

- THOMAS JEFFERSON

Re: Who Beheaded Khartoum? #30579
07/12/05 02:37 PM
07/12/05 02:37 PM
Yunkai
afsaneh77 Offline
Mother of Dragons
afsaneh77  Offline
Mother of Dragons

Yunkai
Yeah, nothing is like hearing it outta horse's mouth. tongue

"Fire cannot kill a dragon." -Daenerys Targaryen, Game of Thrones
Re: Who Beheaded Khartoum? #30580
07/12/05 03:47 PM
07/12/05 03:47 PM
dontomasso Offline OP
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline OP
Consigliere to the Stars

I am not so sure it was the Molinari family because it would seem like they were doing an inordinate number of favors for the Corleones...after all didnt they guarantee Fredo's safety in Vegas, or bankroll Moe Green or something?

Re: Who Beheaded Khartoum? #30581
07/14/05 10:46 PM
07/14/05 10:46 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
While the Molinari family guaranteed Fredo's safety, it was the Corleone family that bankrolled Moe's casino. In any case, it could have been the Falcone family which controlled the hollywood movie unions. They should have had the more immediate access to Woltz.

Re: Who Beheaded Khartoum? #30582
07/15/05 02:53 PM
07/15/05 02:53 PM
North East England
Joolsie Cappucetti Offline
Made Member
Joolsie Cappucetti  Offline
Made Member
North East England
It was Mama Corleone, in the drawing room with the candlestick.

Senator, we are both part of the same hypocrisy

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull