GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 197 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,698
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 24,225
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,520
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,391
Posts1,060,050
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Talking to the sick Don #475557
02/24/08 03:10 PM
02/24/08 03:10 PM
Berlin, Germany
Danito Offline OP
Underboss
Danito  Offline OP
Underboss
Berlin, Germany
After Vito has been transferred home, the women and children (including Carlo ;\) ) have to leave the room. Then Tom starts talking: "Since McCluskey's killing, the police have been cracking down on most of our operations"
This line implies that Vito knows already that the Corleones have killed a police captain.
Then: "It was Michael who killed Sollozzo." So Vito knows that Sollozzo has been killed. But he doesn't know who killed him.

I can't really believe that Tom or someone else had delivered Vito in the hospital the disturbing news they have killed McCluskey without having raised the question who did it.

Thoughts?

Re: Talking to the sick Don [Re: Danito] #475560
02/24/08 03:46 PM
02/24/08 03:46 PM
MI
Lilo Offline
Lilo  Offline

MI
The Don could have been reading the newspapers, had the papers read to him, picked up on discussions about the McCluskey-Sollozzo murders from his soldiers assigned to guard him at the hospital or even had a quick visit from Clemenza ("You won't see McCluskey no more")

Anyone operating at the Don's level would not be too concerned with the details of who actually carried out a piece of work, especially while they are recuperating from multiple gunshot wounds. Also if any of Vito's subordinates had earlier confirmed that that the Family did the job on the Turk and the cop, they probably would have been prudent enough to let Vito's personal family (Tom and Sonny) discuss Michael's role.

Why be the bearer of bad news if you don't have to be..

"When the snows fall and the white winds blow, the lone wolf dies but the pack survives."
Winter is Coming

Now this is the Law of the Jungle—as old and as true as the sky; And the wolf that shall keep it may prosper, but the wolf that shall break it must die.
As the creeper that girdles the tree-trunk, the Law runneth forward and back; For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack.
Re: Talking to the sick Don [Re: Lilo] #475598
02/24/08 06:10 PM
02/24/08 06:10 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
I'm with Lilo here, plus an additional point:
Vito certainly had to know both Sol and Mac were dead. But he probably didn't know that Michael did it. He'd have figured that Sonny, the hothead, arranged both murders. I'm guessing that Vito figured (to himself) that if he hadn't been so badly wounded and were able to be in charge, he'd have figured a way to exact revenge on Tat and Sol without killing Mac--thereby avoiding the police crackdown that turned the other families against the Corleones. But he never dreamed it'd be Michael.

Should he have? Quite a few people here put the beginning of Michael's turn toward the Mafia to the hospital scene when he says, "I'm with you now, Pop." Those of us who believe that think that Michael meant "with you" as in "I'm through keeping the Family at arms-length--I'me with you." Vito, in his drugged state, probably thought he meant that he was physically with Vito--nothing more.

Danito, your post raises a subtle point:
Tom treats the killingof McCluskey in an offhand, matter-of-fact way: "Since the killing of McCluskey..." But he bears down on It was Michael who killed Sollozzo." Well, Michael killed both of them. Was the killing of Sollozzo more important or significant than the killing of McCluskey? He should have said, "Michael killed both of them."

Last edited by Turnbull; 02/24/08 06:21 PM.

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.
Re: Talking to the sick Don [Re: Turnbull] #475632
02/24/08 09:13 PM
02/24/08 09:13 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
Well, Vito would have recognized the name Sollozzo, but maybe not the name McCluskey since his name only came up after Vito was shot.

"Generosity. That was my first mistake."
"Experience must be our only guide; reason may mislead us."
"Instagram is Twitter for people who can't read."
Re: Talking to the sick Don [Re: olivant] #476010
02/25/08 08:31 PM
02/25/08 08:31 PM
O_Pazzo Offline
Wiseguy
O_Pazzo  Offline
Wiseguy
This is very interesting. Sollozzo was the one who ordered the hit on The Don's life, right? I think Tom only mentioned that Michael killed Sollozzo for Vito to realize his one son who wanted nothing to do with the crime family finally joined them. After all, he's the one who planned and seeked revenge for the attempted hit on the Godfather, that should mean a lot for Vito. To me, I view the McCluskey-Sollozzo hit as Michael making his bones, sort of like an induction into the CRIME family.

They come at you with smiles, when your weak, and they've known you your whole life.
Re: Talking to the sick Don [Re: O_Pazzo] #476018
02/25/08 10:46 PM
02/25/08 10:46 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
While watching GF last night I noticed that Tom mentioned McCluskey first. When he mentioned only Sollozzo, it could have been just one of those things.

"Generosity. That was my first mistake."
"Experience must be our only guide; reason may mislead us."
"Instagram is Twitter for people who can't read."

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull