GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 381 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,594
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 24,066
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,517
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,366
Posts1,059,459
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Did Michael love Kay or Apollonia the most? #30498
07/06/05 07:15 AM
07/06/05 07:15 AM
Lavinia from Italy Offline OP
Underboss
Lavinia from Italy  Offline OP
Underboss
Call it a girly thing, but I've been intrigued by these aspects of the trilogy since the first time I watched GF! grin As for me, I think Michael loved Kay in quite a rational way (the question is: is a rational love a true love? but ok, that's another issue): she got what he needed to escape from the "Sicilian thing": she was anglosaxon, protestant, well-educated, emancipated, had no links - directly or indirecty -with the underworld. From this point of view Kay was the perfect wife. But this probably was Michael's will BEFORE he was forced in family's business due to Vito's hit. In fact, after he was involved in it, he had to realize Kay was too a problematic woman for him, wanting him not to mingle with the mafia, a promise he had made to her but was not able to keep anymore. Plus I think Michael did not have a strong sexual attraction for Kay, especially when compared to the one he undoubtly had for Apollonia. I never saw the same "fire" in Michael's eyes as he had when looking at the young Sicilian girl, the anti-Kay. Her father being linked to the mafia, Apollonia would have been the typical Mediterranean wife (in those times): submissive to his husband, outstanding cook, excellent mother, hot in bed. It's funny, but once Michael chose to be "his father's son", Apollonia - who doesn't speak English and lived all her life so far away from the USA - had many more things in common with Michael and the Corleones than the all-American Kay. Maybe Micheal loved Apollonia in a more immediate and instinctive way than he did for Kay. I don't know, maybe I'm biased by the fact that I don't like Kay? confused

What do the other boarders think?

I don't want realism. I want magic! Yes, yes, magic. I try to give that to people. I do misrepresent things. I don't tell the truth. I tell what ought to be truth (Blanche/A streetcar named desire)
Re: Did Michael love Kay or Apollonia the most? #30499
07/06/05 08:26 AM
07/06/05 08:26 AM
DE NIRO Offline
DE NIRO  Offline

I think he love appolina the most,as she was pure italian smile

The Mafia Is Not Primarily An Organisation Of Murderers.
First And Foremost,The Mafia Is Made Up Of Thieves.
It Is Driven By Greed And Controlled By Fear.

Between The Law And The Mafia, The Law Is Not The Most To Be Feared

"What if the Mafia were not an organization but a widespread Sicilian attitude of hostility towards the law?"

"Make Love Not War" John Lennon
Re: Did Michael love Kay or Apollonia the most? #30500
07/06/05 08:38 AM
07/06/05 08:38 AM
Italy
Flora Corleone Offline
Button
Flora Corleone  Offline
Button
Italy
Hi Lavinia, I too have wondered about who Michael loved most, and have come to your same conclusions. smile

To me, he was mainly attracted to Kay because of her "respectability" - the fact she could provide the perfect yankee façade he was looking for. I'm not saying Mike didn't feel any affection for her, he was obviously fond of Kay, but yes, this kind of love was more based on a "cold" caculation of what Kay had to offer than on a loving impulse.

With Apollonia, Michael was definitely hit by the famous thunderbolt. And I don't think it was only about the physical beauty. She maybe represented the coming back to his very roots - whose he had tried to escape through all his life, but had come back to, in the end. She was the door to the world Michael knew he belonged to, and surely the perfect companion for the life he had chosen. So, I definitely think - and the book too states this - Mike had never loved someone as he did with Apollonia, and that's surely one of the resons (if not the main reason) for he came back to New York so embittered and cold-hearted.

Ehhehehe, all this was to say that I love Apolonnia and *don't* like Key...Poor Key, I really don't know why she is so annoying... lol

"...Brucia la luna in cielo, e io brucio d'amore..."
Re: Did Michael love Kay or Apollonia the most? #30501
07/06/05 08:59 AM
07/06/05 08:59 AM
Underboss
Underboss
Originally posted by Flora Corleone:
Hi Lavinia, I too have wondered about who Michael loved most, and have come to your same conclusions.
Ciao Flora, nice to read you!!! smile BTW, I 100% agree with your brilliant post!

Ehhehehe, all this was to say that I love Apolonnia and *don't* like Key...Poor Key, I really don't know why she is so annoying... lol
I wonder WHO does like her? lol AUGH!!!!!!! Al Pacino liked her!!! mad They have been told to have a liaison at the time the movie was being filmed...Luckily they split....I hated the sight of the two being together as a married couple in the film.....I would not have stomached it IN REAL LIFE!!! eek lol

I don't want realism. I want magic! Yes, yes, magic. I try to give that to people. I do misrepresent things. I don't tell the truth. I tell what ought to be truth (Blanche/A streetcar named desire)
Re: Did Michael love Kay or Apollonia the most? #30502
07/06/05 09:15 AM
07/06/05 09:15 AM
Italy
Flora Corleone Offline
Button
Flora Corleone  Offline
Button
Italy
Al Pacino liked her!!! They have been told to have a liaison at the time the movie was being filmed...Luckily they split....I hated the sight of the two being together as a married couple in the film
So that's it, now I know: I'm jelous!!!!!! lol rolleyes

Re: Did Michael love Kay or Apollonia the most? #30503
07/06/05 09:17 AM
07/06/05 09:17 AM
Underboss
Underboss
So that's it, now I know: I'm jelous!!!!!! lol rolleyes
Afiiiiiiiiiii, JustMeeeeeeeee, Pacino Princessssssssssss!!!!!!!!! Here is another one!!!!
lol lol

Re: Did Michael love Kay or Apollonia the most? #30504
07/06/05 09:30 AM
07/06/05 09:30 AM
California
X
XDCX Offline
XDCX  Offline
X

California
Well, I know who I love the most, so to hell with Al Pacino (uh oh, them's fighting words grin )

[Linked Image]

BTW, I like the one on the right, the one on the left is a gift for all you Pacino lovers. wink

"Growing up my dad was like 'You have a great last name, Galifianakis. Galifianakis...begins with a gal...and ends with a kiss...' I'm like that's great dad, can we get it changed to 'Galifianafuck' please?" -- Zach Galifianakis

Re: Did Michael love Kay or Apollonia the most? #30505
07/06/05 09:33 AM
07/06/05 09:33 AM
Italy
Flora Corleone Offline
Button
Flora Corleone  Offline
Button
Italy
*guh*!!! Don Corleone, you made my day!!!!! That pic is beautiful, they are both beautiful!! eek

Re: Did Michael love Kay or Apollonia the most? #30506
07/06/05 09:36 AM
07/06/05 09:36 AM
Underboss
Underboss
GOSH, he was so young....a puppy to cuddle all the time..... smile
Can't think how he looks now..... frown

Re: Did Michael love Kay or Apollonia the most? #30507
07/06/05 11:31 AM
07/06/05 11:31 AM
Muscat, Oman
Don Zadjali Offline
Underboss
Don Zadjali  Offline
Underboss
Muscat, Oman
Nice Topic...

I think Michael love Apollonia the most...

*Al Pacino pic:

[Linked Image]

"Pain has no tendency, in its own right, to proliferate. When it is over, it is over, and the natural sequel is joy."
- C. S. Lewis

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh"
- George Bernard Shaw

Re: Did Michael love Kay or Apollonia the most? #30508
07/06/05 12:32 PM
07/06/05 12:32 PM
With Geary in Fredo's Brothel
dontomasso Offline
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline
Consigliere to the Stars

I don't think Michael was ever really "in love" with Kay as much as he was in love with the idea of Kay. As a younger man, I think she represented his rebelliousness against his family and particularly his father. By having a WASP non-Sicilian as a fiancee, he was making a very clear statement to the world that he was not a part of "the family business" and that he was not going to be a man like his father. The way he dumped her in New York just before he went to the hospital is not what someone "in love" would do.

Later, after Appoliania died and Michael was working for the family, he wanted a family, and Kay was convenient and still available, so I think he just took her. Of course Kay, about whom many of us have made unkind posts, knew or should have known exactly what she was getting herself into, and yet never missed the opportunity to complain to Mike about his career path.

As for pure, sensual, "hot" "in love," there's no question. Appolonia hands down.

"Io sono stanco, sono imbigliato, and I wan't everyone here to know, there ain't gonna be no trouble from me..Don Corleone..Cicc' a port!"

"I stood in the courtroom like a fool."

"I am Constanza: Lord of the idiots."

Re: Did Michael love Kay or Apollonia the most? #30509
07/06/05 01:59 PM
07/06/05 01:59 PM
Little Chicago
Tony Love Offline
Underboss
Tony Love  Offline
Underboss
Little Chicago
Good topic!

When it comes to love, pure love, Michael loved Apollonia. When it came to other things, more practical uses for a spouse here in America, that's where Kay could fit in. Sure, he loved Kay in some sense, but she was more of a life partner (until the whole abortion thing later came into play) whereas Apollonia was someone Michael loved.

Apollonia was more of a lover. Kay was more of a partner and mother to Michael's children.

"Any American who is prepared to run for president should automatically, by definition, be disqualified from ever doing so"-Gore Vidal
"Conformity is the jailer of freedom and enemy of growth"-John Fitzgerald Kennedy
"The reason the mainstream is thought of as a stream is because of its shallowness"-George Carlin
Re: Did Michael love Kay or Apollonia the most? #30510
07/06/05 02:00 PM
07/06/05 02:00 PM
dontomasso Offline
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline
Consigliere to the Stars

Lets also put it another way. Did Kay really love Michael?

"Io sono stanco, sono imbigliato, and I wan't everyone here to know, there ain't gonna be no trouble from me..Don Corleone..Cicc' a port!"

"I stood in the courtroom like a fool."

"I am Constanza: Lord of the idiots."

Re: Did Michael love Kay or Apollonia the most? #30511
07/06/05 02:33 PM
07/06/05 02:33 PM
Milky Way
Enzo Scifo Offline
Underboss
Enzo Scifo  Offline
Underboss
Milky Way
Yes, until he fled to Sicilia.

Question: In the familiy tree, there is said Apollonia was only 16. Was marrying at that age normal in Sicilian culture? And dont forget Michael was already 27 at the time.

Question 2: What about Simonetta Stefanelli? How old is she now, did she act after GF, is she married, is she dead?

BTW, Michael really loved Kay, but he simply loved Appolonia more. After Apollonia died, Michael didnt love Kay anymore.

See, we can act as smart as we want, but at the end of the day, we still follow a guy who fucks himself with kebab skewers.
Re: Did Michael love Kay or Apollonia the most? #30512
07/06/05 06:26 PM
07/06/05 06:26 PM
UK
The Dr. who fixed Lucy Offline
Underboss
The Dr. who fixed Lucy  Offline
Underboss
UK
I think we've all (and by all, I mean straight guys) have had / wished we'd had girls of both the Appollonia and Kay variety.

"Kay"-types: good-looking but not stunning, good personalities, long term / marriage prospects, can see settling down with them and living happily ever after.

"Appollonia"-types: stunning, breathtaking. Head over heals in love, can never think about anything else. Total lust etc. But then they get car-bombed / run off with better looking guy. Sexier but less reliable.

Joey ...

BANG BANG

... Saza!
Re: Did Michael love Kay or Apollonia the most? #30513
07/06/05 06:37 PM
07/06/05 06:37 PM
Oslo, Norway
Al.Neri Offline
Made Member
Al.Neri  Offline
Made Member
Oslo, Norway
I don't know, if I remember right, they are quite fond of each other after Sicily in the novel. In GFII it seems like Kay just becomes the mother of his children.

By the way, Appolonia is indeed beautiful. Really beautiful! Anybody with recent pics of the actress who played Appolonia?

Do you know who I am? I'm Moe Greene! I made my bones when you were going out with cheerleaders!
Re: Did Michael love Kay or Apollonia the most? #30514
07/06/05 08:34 PM
07/06/05 08:34 PM
Italy
Flora Corleone Offline
Button
Flora Corleone  Offline
Button
Italy
Of course Kay, about whom many of us have made unkind posts, knew or should have known exactly what she was getting herself into, and yet never missed the opportunity to complain to Mike about his career path.
Dontomasso, I think you hit the point about the reasons for I don't have a particular liking on Kay. She perfectly knew was she was getting herself into, Michael couldn't have fooled a 3 years old with all of his speeches about legitimacy and such. (c'mon!)
She loved Mike, and wanted to marry him - all the rest were pale excuses she gave herself to find a way to justify this choice before her own conscience.
I can understand this, and I felt bad for Kay at the beginning, but her attitude at the end of GFII (not to mention GFIII with pearls like: "I preferred you as a common mafia hood", "you became my horror" and such), really got on my nerves. What, in hell did she expect?

Re: Did Michael love Kay or Apollonia the most? #30515
07/07/05 08:39 AM
07/07/05 08:39 AM
Underboss
Underboss
What, in hell did she expect?
Maybe she hoped what many women hope. Marrying, raising a family, having a beautiful house, a garden, a couple of blonde blue eyed children and possibly a golden retriver.

Ok, I totally agree (except for the dog thing, 'cause everyone here knows I am a cat oriented person...not that I don't like dogs, but you know..... lol ), but.... KAY....WHY DID YOU MARRY
A DARK HAIRED DARK EYED SICILIAN MAFIOSO, THEN???????
grin lol

Re: Did Michael love Kay or Apollonia the most? #30516
07/07/05 09:23 AM
07/07/05 09:23 AM
Underboss
Underboss
Originally posted by dontomasso:
Lets also put it another way. Did Kay really love Michael?
That's more difficult to tell. Maybe she loved Michael as long as he remained the "nice college boy", the army hero....as long as he managed to hide (her and himself) his real identity. Maybe she hoped to be able to change him, that he would have changed in behalf of their love. Women often do such silly things.... lol

Re: Did Michael love Kay or Apollonia the most? #30517
07/07/05 09:43 AM
07/07/05 09:43 AM
Virginia Beach
Don of Dons Offline
Wiseguy
Don of Dons  Offline
Wiseguy
Virginia Beach
I can understand this, and I felt bad for Kay at the beginning, but her attitude at the end of GFII (not to mention GFIII with pearls like: "I preferred you as a common mafia hood", "you became my horror" and such), really got on my nerves. What, in hell did she expect?
exactly, when kay was there to meet the family at the wedding, micheal held nothing back. infact I was surprised to see how much he actually let her know at such an early point in time. she knew exactly what she was getting into.

Re: Did Michael love Kay or Apollonia the most? #30518
07/07/05 10:07 AM
07/07/05 10:07 AM
Underboss
Underboss
Originally posted by Enzo Scifo:
Question: In the familiy tree, there is said Apollonia was only 16. Was marrying at that age normal in Sicilian culture?
Absolutely.

Question 2: What about Simonetta Stefanelli? How old is she now, did she act after GF, is she married, is she dead?
She should be about 50. She married a very popular (here) actor, Michele (WOW, the power of a name!!!) Placido, but they divorced. They have three children. A daughter, Violante, is an actress hereself. As for Simonetta's career, after GF she acted in some mafia B-movies, nothing to be remembered.

After Apollonia died, Michael didnt love Kay anymore.
Can't see the connection.

Re: Did Michael love Kay or Apollonia the most? #30519
07/07/05 02:09 PM
07/07/05 02:09 PM
Italy
Flora Corleone Offline
Button
Flora Corleone  Offline
Button
Italy
WHY DID YOU MARRY
A DARK HAIRED DARK EYED SICILIAN MAFIOSO, THEN???????
Because he was damn hot, what else? lol
Ehmmm...ok, excuse me.. grin

She married a very popular (here) actor, Michele (WOW, the power of a name!!!) Placido, but they divorced
Holy cows! I didn't know she was Michele Placido's ex-wife! Whar have I been living? eek
I think her daughter Violante has a slight resemblance to her (but Simonetta was more beautiful! wink

Re: Did Michael love Kay or Apollonia the most? #30520
07/07/05 02:20 PM
07/07/05 02:20 PM
Italy
Flora Corleone Offline
Button
Flora Corleone  Offline
Button
Italy
whooo-hoo, look at what I found: that's Simonetta in her older years:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Re: Did Michael love Kay or Apollonia the most? #30521
07/07/05 03:18 PM
07/07/05 03:18 PM
New Jersey
AppleOnYa Offline
AppleOnYa  Offline

New Jersey
In the 'current' picture she looks ALOT like Roma Downey...the Irish actress from 'Touched By An Angel'...among other things.

Apple

A wise and frugal government, which shall leave men free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned - this is the sum of good government.

- THOMAS JEFFERSON

Re: Did Michael love Kay or Apollonia the most? #30522
07/07/05 03:31 PM
07/07/05 03:31 PM
New Jersey
AppleOnYa Offline
AppleOnYa  Offline

New Jersey
Originally posted by Lavinia from Italy:
... Maybe Micheal loved Apollonia in a more immediate and instinctive way than he did for Kay. I don't know, maybe I'm biased by the fact that I don't like Kay?...
I think he loved them equally but in different times of his life and in different ways.

Let's remember that it was Kay who was his FIRST true love. Although we are priveleged to see that thunderbolt hit Michael when he first lays eyes on Appolonia, we do not know what the first meeting between Michael and Kay was like.

Had Appolonia lived, it's true Kay would've been history. But it would be nice to think he still had a fondness and more adult, mature love for Kay even if he was no longer 'in love' with her as he had been with Appolonia and the Kay of his pre-Sicily life.

And by the way, I'm so sick & tired of people who 'don't like' Kay.

Apple

A wise and frugal government, which shall leave men free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned - this is the sum of good government.

- THOMAS JEFFERSON

Re: Did Michael love Kay or Apollonia the most? #30523
07/08/05 02:33 AM
07/08/05 02:33 AM
Underboss
Underboss
Originally posted by AppleOnYa:
And by the way, I'm so sick & tired of people who 'don't like' Kay.
I'm sorry, Apple. You see, usually people don't like annoying and unpleasant characters. Unless, of course, they are GREAT in their annoyance and unpleasantness. But Kay isn't even so. Just a pain in the ass. At least in the vast majority's opinion. wink

Re: Did Michael love Kay or Apollonia the most? #30524
07/08/05 08:22 AM
07/08/05 08:22 AM
New Jersey
AppleOnYa Offline
AppleOnYa  Offline

New Jersey
[QUOTE]...I'm sorry, Apple....
Apology accepted, Lavinia...however it doesn't make your (and the 'vast majority's) dislike of Kay any less ridiculous.

If I were going to 'not like' a character because they were annoying, unpleasant and a pain in the ass...I would choose Fredo.

But of course, everyone has their own special place in the story wink !!

Apple

- THOMAS JEFFERSON

Re: Did Michael love Kay or Apollonia the most? #30525
07/08/05 08:44 AM
07/08/05 08:44 AM
Underboss
Underboss
Apology accepted, Lavinia...however it doesn't make your (and the 'vast majority's) dislike of Kay any less ridiculous.
Labelling as "ridiculous" someone else's opinion without elaborating a single concept to prove it is a masterpiece of tolerance. And, of course, of good manners! eek lol

Re: Did Michael love Kay or Apollonia the most? #30526
07/08/05 08:51 AM
07/08/05 08:51 AM
New Jersey
AppleOnYa Offline
AppleOnYa  Offline

New Jersey
[QUOTE]...without elaborating a single concept to prove it is a masterpiece of tolerance. And, of course, of good manners! eek lol
I don't really need to elaborate a concept to prove it.

It's my (not the vast majority's) 'opinion' lol !!

AppleOnYa
(aka, Miss Manners)

- THOMAS JEFFERSON

Re: Did Michael love Kay or Apollonia the most? #30527
07/08/05 08:58 AM
07/08/05 08:58 AM
Underboss
Underboss
I don't really need to elaborate a concept to prove it.
You do when you "stigmatize" other people's opinions. Unless, of course, you want your judgment to sound gratuitously offensive.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull