GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
2 registered members (Malavita, 1 invisible), 586 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,603
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 24,082
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,518
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,373
Posts1,059,542
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Questions about Films #474003
02/19/08 09:45 PM
02/19/08 09:45 PM
Schenectady, NY
N
NIAFMember Offline OP
Associate
NIAFMember  Offline OP
N
Associate
Schenectady, NY
I am a huge Godfather fan. I love not only the movies, but the books as well. Just had some questions about the Godfather movies...

1. Why does Michael tell Tom "you're out" during the meeting?

2. In Part II, when Michael visits Pentangelli, why does he first accuse him and then say he wants his help to take revenge?

3. Can someone clarify the role of the Rosaro brothers? Why do they try to kill Pentangelli?

I am new to all of this so I would appreciate any help

Re: Questions about Films [Re: NIAFMember] #474008
02/19/08 09:57 PM
02/19/08 09:57 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
Welcome, NIAFmember! You're not the only one who's asked those questions--they're among the most often-asked on this Board. You can find the answers to these and to others by using the Search utility here. But, briefly:
1. Michael tells Tom that he's out because he's "not a wartime consigliere."--he didn't have the cunning, or perhaps the force, to function during wartime as his predecessor, Genco Abbandando, did. That's a very truncated answer. Search that topic and you'll find many interesting nuances.
2. Michael was a master manipulator. The finger of suspicion was pointing at Pentangeli for the Tahoe shooting. Michael was almost totally convinced it wasn't Pentangeli. But he yelled, then asked for his help, to soften him up--to make him so grateful that Michael didn't blame him that he'd agree to Michael's request to "settle these problems with the Rosato brothers." He played Frankie like a violin.
3. The Rosatos were a faction in Clemenza's family. Pentangeli inherited them, and the alleged promises Clemenza made to them for territories. They are based on the real-life Gallo brothers, a faction in the Profaci family in NYC. The garrotting of Frankie is based on an episode in the Gallo/Profaci war.

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.
Re: Questions about Films [Re: NIAFMember] #474011
02/19/08 10:02 PM
02/19/08 10:02 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas

1. If you viewed that scene, how did you miss the follow-up scene when Michael very explicitly tells Tom that he is not a wartime Consigliere? If you somehow missed that scene, there is an immediate subsequent scene where Vito tells Tom that he must not have any part in what is about to take place.

2. Accuse Pentangeli of what? Nothing. Instead, he tells him with an irate demeanor that his attempted assassination took place in his home, etc. Since Pentangeli is in charge of the Corleone family activities in NY, why wouldn't he utilize Pentangeli to take his revenge?

3. It's the Rosa[t]o brothers. Here again, there are prior and post scenes that make it pretty plain that Hymen Roth wants Mike out of the way, that Pentangeli is Mike's ally, and that the Rosato brothers are Roth's allies.

"Generosity. That was my first mistake."
"Experience must be our only guide; reason may mislead us."
"Instagram is Twitter for people who can't read."
Re: Questions about Films [Re: olivant] #474015
02/19/08 10:28 PM
02/19/08 10:28 PM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club
 Originally Posted By: olivant

Accuse Pentangeli of what? Nothing. Instead, he tells him with an irate demeanor that his attempted assassination took place in his home, etc. Since Pentangeli is in charge of the Corleone family activities in NY, why wouldn't he utilize Pentangeli to take his revenge?

I believe that he may have meant to use the word "imply" instead of the word "accuse" in his question.

And he actually did utilize Frankie to take his revenge...only he did it in his own manipulating Michael way!

It wasn't really an irate demeanor. It was an act. In Michael's rant he purposely implies to Frankie that he suspects him without actually coming out and accusing him. Michael obviously puts on that LOUD RANT to put the thought in Frankie's head, even just for a moment, that he suspected him and was possibly facing the wrath of his Don. Michael did this knowing that in his fear Frankie would now agree to do whatever Michael asks of him. And how does Frankie react? He plays right into Micahel's hands :

PENTANGELI : "Now -- Jesus Christ, Mike, Jesus Christ. Look, let's get 'em all -- let's get 'em all now, while we got the muscle."

At that moment Michael speaks softly, getting all nostalgic with Frankie. At that moment, by Frankie's reaction and his reply, Michael knows that he can now get Frankie to go and make the peace with the Rosato brothers.

All Michael wanted was for Frankie to agree to go to the Rosato Brothers to make the peace. And in the way that Michael intentionally goes off in that scene, he manipulates Frankie into agreeing to go to the Rosato brothers, which translates into utilizing Frankie to help him get his revenge on Roth.

Don Cardi cool

Five - ten years from now, they're gonna wish there was American Cosa Nostra. Five - ten years from now, they're gonna miss John Gotti.

Re: Questions about Films [Re: Don Cardi] #474028
02/19/08 11:36 PM
02/19/08 11:36 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
Demeanor is a function of behavior, not motive.

Re: Questions about Films [Re: olivant] #474029
02/19/08 11:39 PM
02/19/08 11:39 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
Given Vito's advisory to Mike about a traitor, how and when did the subject of a family traitor in GFI originate?

Re: Questions about Films [Re: olivant] #474035
02/19/08 11:55 PM
02/19/08 11:55 PM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club
Demeanor is a function of behavior, not motive.

Thank you professor!

You claim that it was Michael's irate demeanor, that it was an irate "behavior." An Irate demeanor would mean that Michael's behavior towards Frankie was one out of having anger or being enraged.

I say that it wasn't an irate demeanor, it wasn't behavior resulting out of being angered or enraged, but that it was more of a pre-planned act on Michael's part. An act, a motive to manipulate Frankie into doing what Michael really wanted to be done.

Don Cardi cool

Five - ten years from now, they're gonna wish there was American Cosa Nostra. Five - ten years from now, they're gonna miss John Gotti.

Re: Questions about Films [Re: Don Cardi] #474040
02/20/08 12:26 AM
02/20/08 12:26 AM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
Demeanor is outward behavior, pure and simple, which, in this case, was irate.

Last edited by olivant; 02/20/08 12:26 AM.

Re: Questions about Films [Re: olivant] #474079
02/20/08 09:34 AM
02/20/08 09:34 AM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club
So tell me, within the context of what we are discussing here, are you saying that Michael was truly angered, truly enraged at Frankie?

Don Cardi cool

Re: Questions about Films [Re: olivant] #474122
02/20/08 12:30 PM
02/20/08 12:30 PM
O_Pazzo Offline
Wiseguy
O_Pazzo  Offline
Wiseguy
Given Vito's advisory to Mike about a traitor, how and when did the subject of a family traitor in GFI originate?

You have a point there, but I think Michaels suspicion arose when the shooting took place in the middle of his own compound right in his bedroom. The enemy had to be an insider to easely squeeze through those gates and make his way straight to his home. Its a common lesson taught to us in the Godfather series that your worst enemy is always close to you, he's an old friend or a family member, even Michael knew so since he warned Vincent in GF3 about that. (How he had to chose between the life or Mary, because when his enemies would come they'd come after her or everything close to him, and they'd be close to him too)

Any thoughts about this?

They come at you with smiles, when your weak, and they've known you your whole life.
Re: Questions about Films [Re: O_Pazzo] #474135
02/20/08 12:47 PM
02/20/08 12:47 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
 Originally Posted By: O_Pazzo
...but I think Michaels suspicion arose when the shooting took place in the middle of his own compound right in his bedroom. The enemy had to be an insider to easely squeeze through those gates and make his way straight to his home.

Of course he knew that only an insider could have gotten that close to killing him (and Kay). The issue was: who? Roth would have him believe that Pentangeli was behind it, but Michael saw through that ruse. In doing so, he saw that someone "very close to us [emphasis added]" was involved..."very scary." Yes it was!
 Quote:
Its a common lesson taught to us in the Godfather series that your worst enemy is always close to you, he's an old friend or a family member, even Michael knew so since he warned Vincent in GF3 about that. (How he had to chose between the life or Mary, because when his enemies would come they'd come after her or everything close to him, and they'd be close to him too)

After he found out that Altobello was behind the Atlantic City attack, and after learning that Sicily's top assassin--a man who never misses--is gunning for him, what does Michael do? He gathers his family around him inside and outside of a crowded public venue, making all of them sitting ducks for that assassin. It was Michael at his most arrogant and irresponsible.

Re: Questions about Films [Re: O_Pazzo] #474138
02/20/08 12:52 PM
02/20/08 12:52 PM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club

You have a point there, but I think Michaels suspicion arose when the shooting took place in the middle of his own compound right in his bedroom. The enemy had to be an insider to easely squeeze through those gates .....

I'm a bit lost here. Are we talking about GFI or GFII?

Don Cardi cool

Re: Questions about Films [Re: olivant] #474139
02/20/08 12:54 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ

I think it was an example of Vito's "Sicilian cunning" at work. He made the other Dons believe he was weak and fading, and he and Michael were conspiring to make them think Michael wasn't the man Vito had been. And Vito had already concluded that "it was Barzini all along." So, it was logical for Vito to conclude that Barzini would make the next move--and do it by getting a trusted Corleone higher-up to turn traitor.

BTW: Another measure of Tom's lack of Sicilian cunning, IMO, is his statement, "I always thought it would be Clemenza." Why? Clemenza never evinced a shred of disloyalty to either Vito or Michael. Michael's reply, "Tessio was always smarter," was the logical (or if you like, Sicilian) conclusion.

Re: Questions about Films [Re: Don Cardi] #474140
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
I think Olivant's talking about Tessio, Part 1. The new guy's talking about Part 2.

"I got news for you. If it wasn't for the toilet, there would be no books." --- George Costanza.
Re: Questions about Films [Re: pizzaboy] #474142
02/20/08 01:06 PM
02/20/08 01:06 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
I agree--I responded to Olivant about Tessio.

Re: Questions about Films [Re: Turnbull] #474150
02/20/08 01:19 PM
02/20/08 01:19 PM
Berlin, Germany
Danito Offline
Underboss
Danito  Offline
Underboss
Berlin, Germany
The quiz is out on the street that NIAFMember's already dead.

Oh sorry! Wrong thread. Well... Perhaps not.

Re: Questions about Films [Re: Turnbull] #474151
02/20/08 01:23 PM
02/20/08 01:23 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
 Originally Posted By: Turnbull
I agree--I responded to Olivant about Tessio.

As the Fonz would say "Rightamundo! GFI"

Re: Questions about Films [Re: Don Cardi] #474154
02/20/08 01:34 PM
02/20/08 01:34 PM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club
Olivant, perhaps you missed my initial question regarding the discussion that we were having about Michael and Frankie. So here is is again for you :

Originally Posted By: Don Cardi
So tell me, within the context of what we are discussing here, are you saying that Michael was truly angered, truly enraged at Frankie?

Don Cardi cool

Re: Questions about Films [Re: Don Cardi] #474201
02/20/08 03:46 PM
02/20/08 03:46 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
He could have been. The converse is possible also. Demeanor can be independent of motive or it can be a function of layered emotions. It can also be deceptive, meant to mislead. Or it can be a true and accurate reflection of one's motives and feelings. Demeanor is in the eye of the beholder.

Michael's demeanor during his conversation with Geary was calm, cool, and collected. For that matter, so was Geary's. Yet those demeanors masked a seething contempt one had for the other.

Re: Questions about Films [Re: olivant] #474492
02/21/08 04:11 PM
02/21/08 04:11 PM
O_Pazzo Offline
Wiseguy
O_Pazzo  Offline
Wiseguy
Oh im so sorry i thought I read GFII not GFI, I am terribly sorry if I confused anyone.

No need to call me "new guy" by the way.

They come at you with smiles, when your weak, and they've known you your whole life.
Re: Questions about Films [Re: O_Pazzo] #474567
02/21/08 07:59 PM
02/21/08 07:59 PM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club

No need to call me "new guy" by the way.

That's right, O_Pazzo could actually be a "new girl" for all we know.

Don Cardi cool

Re: Questions about Films [Re: Don Cardi] #474799
02/22/08 05:34 PM
02/22/08 05:34 PM
Chicago Underworld
Frank_Nitti Offline
"The Enforcer"
Frank_Nitti  Offline
"The Enforcer"
Underboss
Chicago Underworld
 Originally Posted By: Don Cardi

I'm glad you raised this question b/c it's one I've wanted to discuss here before.

I think he was testing Frankie, but he was trying to "encourage" him as well--that is, encourage him to settle the problems with the Rosato bros. But some of that rant was probably true anger on Michael's part. He was pretty damn pissed about the fact that he, the Don of the Corleone Crime Family, had been shot at in his HOME, and he wanted to make sure Frankie (a logical suspect in the shooting) was pissed as well. ;\)

Last edited by Frank_Nitti; 02/22/08 05:38 PM.
Re: Questions about Films [Re: Frank_Nitti] #474895
02/22/08 08:16 PM
02/22/08 08:16 PM
No. Virginia
mustachepete Offline
Special
mustachepete  Offline
Special
Underboss
No. Virginia
I've always thought that Michael yelled so that the other people in the house would hear him, and perhaps someone would report back to Roth.

"All of these men were good listeners; patient men."

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull