GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 241 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,493
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 23,925
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,512
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,336
Posts1,058,841
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Frank Pentangeli and his brother #467874
01/27/08 01:36 PM
01/27/08 01:36 PM
DivaLasVegas82 Offline OP
Button
DivaLasVegas82  Offline OP
Button
I watched GII again last night on A&E. There is one scene about the movie that I never quite got. During the hearing, Frank's brother shows up and he suddenly recants his earlier testimony about Michael. I always wondered if he did that because his brother had something on him or if he was always afraid of his brother. There is that scene towards the end of the movie before Frank kills himself where he talks to Tom and he tells Tom, "My brother is a lot tougher than I am."

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Re: Frank Pentangeli and his brother [Re: DivaLasVegas82] #467878
01/27/08 01:53 PM
01/27/08 01:53 PM
Toronto, Ontario
D
dontommasino Offline
Underboss
dontommasino  Offline
D
Underboss
Toronto, Ontario
Many people have many different theories relating to the appearance of his brother at the Senate hearings. I think it was Michael Corleone's way of showing the dishonor that would be brought upon his family if he testified against him. Tom stated that the man was from Italy and that his reputation was impeccable on "the other side." If Frankie was to testify that reputation would go down the drain. It was a way to show Pentangeli that he must not break omerta and keep his family's honor.

Re: Frank Pentangeli and his brother [Re: dontommasino] #467880
01/27/08 02:17 PM
01/27/08 02:17 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
I agree with dt--that Frankie's brother's presence shamed Frankie into realizing that family honor would be destroyed if he testified against Michael. After Frankie recants, Tom tells his brother (in Sicilian): "The honor of the family is intact."

But, as dt said, there are other opinions. One is that Michael was holding threats against Frankie and his brother. Some people here infer that when Frankie told Tom (re. the Romans), "...an' their families were taken care of," that Frankie had family in Sicily who were at risk if he didn't kill himself. Others believe that his brother might have been whacked by Michael.

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.
Re: Frank Pentangeli and his brother [Re: Turnbull] #467889
01/27/08 05:01 PM
01/27/08 05:01 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
There were two threats. One was to Frankie's brother about family honor. The other was to Frankie about his brother's life. Frankie might have been concerned about disappointing his brother, but the more realistic and present concern would have been Frankie's about his brother being murdered.

"Generosity. That was my first mistake."
"Experience must be our only guide; reason may mislead us."
"Instagram is Twitter for people who can't read."
Re: Frank Pentangeli and his brother [Re: olivant] #467912
01/27/08 07:14 PM
01/27/08 07:14 PM
Button
Button
That's a good point about Frank fearing that his brother would be murdered. Kay did mention to Michael that she wasn't aware that Frank had a brother, so I'm assuming that his brother must have been under the radar. Frank probably thought that if Michael was able to find his brother and if stuck by his original testimony, Michael would kill his brother in retatliation.

Re: Frank Pentangeli and his brother [Re: DivaLasVegas82] #467919
01/27/08 08:29 PM
01/27/08 08:29 PM
New York
Sicilian Babe Offline
Sicilian Babe  Offline

New York
For years, I thought that Michael was threatening Vincenzo Pentangeli's life. That by bringing his brother to the hearings, Michael was telling Frank that, even if he was impossible to get to, they would just kill his brother instead, unless he recanted.

However, after listening to Tom's statement to Vincenzo that his family's honor "sta posto", or "as it should be". Michael's statement to Kay that it was "between the brothers" made more sense then, too.

President Emeritus of the Neal Pulcawer Fan Club
Re: Frank Pentangeli and his brother [Re: DivaLasVegas82] #467941
01/27/08 09:37 PM
01/27/08 09:37 PM
MI
Lilo Offline
Lilo  Offline

MI
I always thought that there were implied threats to Frank about his brother and that his brother was used to shame him.

So if Frank testified he would be greatly shamed in front of his brother and his brother would lose face back home in Sicily. There also could have been the unstated threat from Michael that "if we can't get to you we can always get to your brother".

Of course Tom and Michael wouldn't have openly threatened Frank's brother, otherwise why would he have shown up? They probably told him that your brother's in a bit of a bind and he needs you for support...

"When the snows fall and the white winds blow, the lone wolf dies but the pack survives."
Winter is Coming

Now this is the Law of the Jungle—as old and as true as the sky; And the wolf that shall keep it may prosper, but the wolf that shall break it must die.
As the creeper that girdles the tree-trunk, the Law runneth forward and back; For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack.
Re: Frank Pentangeli and his brother [Re: Lilo] #467956
01/27/08 10:01 PM
01/27/08 10:01 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
Think about it. Mike's facing prison. Do you really think he's going to rely on someone's sense of honor to keep him out of jail. This is a guy who had his brother murdered.

And SC, this is also the guy who lied to his wife about having his brother in law murdered and God knows what else.

"Generosity. That was my first mistake."
"Experience must be our only guide; reason may mislead us."
"Instagram is Twitter for people who can't read."
Re: Frank Pentangeli and his brother [Re: olivant] #467996
01/27/08 11:43 PM
01/27/08 11:43 PM
mercop Offline
Don
mercop  Offline
Don
Button
I used to think the brother was a threat until I read an article (wikipedia I know its not always relible) which said early scrips said he was a mafia chief in Sicily.

"I'll reason with him" Vito Corleone
Re: Frank Pentangeli and his brother [Re: Lilo] #468010
01/28/08 12:27 AM
01/28/08 12:27 AM
Button
Button
 Originally Posted By: Lilo
I always thought that there were implied threats to Frank about his brother and that his brother was used to shame him.

So if Frank testified he would be greatly shamed in front of his brother and his brother would lose face back home in Sicily. There also could have been the unstated threat from Michael that "if we can't get to you we can always get to your brother".

Of course Tom and Michael wouldn't have openly threatened Frank's brother, otherwise why would he have shown up? They probably told him that your brother's in a bit of a bind and he needs you for support...

That could be true. His brother didn't speak English, so he didn't know what was going on in the hearing. I wonder if Michael or Tom brought up Vito's death to Frank's brother. They could have told him that Vito would have been very disappointed if he knew that an old friend of the Corleones was betraying the family. And since other people here have mentioned that the brother felt a strong sense of honor, his presence at the hearing was probably the main factor that led to Frank changing his story. He didn't want to look like a traitor.

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull