GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
2 registered members (Irishman12, bronx), 266 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,611
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 24,105
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,518
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,381
Posts1,059,673
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: For those of you who hate Part III... #30054
03/14/06 07:12 PM
03/14/06 07:12 PM
Cristina's Way Offline
Underboss
Cristina's Way  Offline
Underboss
I know this is better placed in "Creative Trilogy Captions"; but since we're on the subject of GF3, I couldn't resist:

[Linked Image]

"Even with these high-powered opera glasses, I can't find a coherent plot in Godfather Part III."

Re: For those of you who hate Part III... #30055
03/17/06 12:59 PM
03/17/06 12:59 PM
Norway
DonAlberto Offline
Wiseguy
DonAlberto  Offline
Wiseguy
Norway
The nr 3 is a pretty decent movie on its own, but as I and II's succesor, its horrible.

Two men can keep a secret if one of them is dead.. Old Sicilian saying.
Re: For those of you who hate Part III... #30056
04/17/06 04:24 PM
04/17/06 04:24 PM
New Market, MD
DeathByClotheshanger Offline OP
Underboss
DeathByClotheshanger  Offline OP
Underboss
New Market, MD
It just kills me when people say they love a guilty pleasure movie like Dirty Dancing or Red Dawn or Roadhouse but when Part III is mentioned they crap on it like it's yesterday's business section. I mean, Patrick Swayze wasn't even in Part III!

How many movies are perfect? I mean cripes, most of the movies that are revered as classics aren't perfect... it just so happens that Part I and II are -- and that hurts Part III.

I know Part III isn't perfect, but that doesn't stop a movie from being good, or even great.

YES!!! There are HORRIBLE, HORRIBLE lines uttered in Part III that wouldn't have even been part of the deleted scenes section of the deleted scenes in Part I and II (My lucky coat, I love you cuz, Dad, etc...) but there are scenes of such power and beauty that make you forget all about what came before. The confession, the silent scream, the music, the cinematography... you might habe to dig a little deeper than you'd like... but those nuggest of greatness are there. But the haters refuse to acknowledge them for the most part.

I'm willing to bet that most people here are parents. I'm also willing to bet that a lot of your children have done things that have made you want to give them up for adoption. However, when they do something good, like color you a picture or tell you they love you out of the blue, you forget all about the bad times. That is Part III for me.

I just feel like us Part III lovers are under attack from the haters. I wanted to make my opinion known, and in the process get a hater to seriously sit down and re-watch Part III in a different light.

Well, it's been almost a year and this thread is still floating around... so has any of the haters seen this film ALL THE WAY THROUGH yet?

Apple?

Re: For those of you who hate Part III... #30057
04/17/06 11:29 PM
04/17/06 11:29 PM
Miami, FL
Don Andrew Offline
Underboss
Don Andrew  Offline
Underboss
Miami, FL
Sorry son, but a few good nuggets don't make a chicken tender. If the first two were anything, they were two beautiful whole chickens. While GF III is a flawed film in many ways, it was still an ok film. Not that good, not terrible, but not on caliber with the first two masterpieces. A two-star effort IMO.

Hey, how's it going?
Re: For those of you who hate Part III... #30058
04/19/06 02:16 PM
04/19/06 02:16 PM
New Market, MD
Underboss
Underboss
New Market, MD
Originally posted by Don Andrew:
Sorry son, but a few good nuggets don't make a chicken tender. If the first two were anything, they were two beautiful whole chickens. While GF III is a flawed film in many ways, it was still an ok film. Not that good, not terrible, but not on caliber with the first two masterpieces. A two-star effort IMO.
Well that's the beauty of it. While you say 2 stars, I say 3 stars (out of 4) but I do agree that it's flawed and some of its flaws run deep.

But if I were to choose between having a Part III and not having a Part III, I would choose having a Part III every day of the week.

Re: For those of you who hate Part III... #30059
04/20/06 09:51 AM
04/20/06 09:51 AM
Upstate NY
Ballsy McDuff Offline
Wiseguy
Ballsy McDuff  Offline
Wiseguy
Upstate NY
I have been reading this discussion and sitting on a copy of GFIII for about a week. I've been staring at the copy and debating whether to watch it because the last time I tried I turned it off absolutely bored. I decided I'd read the transcript our Don prepared so I could know ahead of time what kind of things I'd have to "sit through" and then see how bad it really was.
To be honest and fair, I was not appalled by the movie. I found it to be well acted by Andy Garcia, whom I really had no opinion of before but know I think he's a great actor. I know the conversation about his mother never being pregnant before but I think Andy's Vincent was a great contrast character to Micheal. Vincent was a total opposite of young Micheal, he wanted to be in the family and would give up everything to be Don.
Sofia, yes I know I read about her acting and I agree there were bad scenes, but I think had the lines I love you cuz, not been in the movie I probably wouldn't have thought much about it. I think however that it was an interesting subplot to the movie, only because Micheal's son and daughter became his weakness, and this try to make this more evident to the viewer.
I thought that George Hamilton was pretty bad yes, and I think that was a bad miscast, but don't all movies have miscasts? Yes not having Duvall was bad, but it didn't kill it for me.
It was tough to follow at times, the dealings with the vatican weren't always explained, I was lost at times trying to figure out which ones were good and bad, but that has more to do with writing, IMO. The death(s) at the opera were interesting, seeing Mosca pretend to be dead was crafty, and I thought that Sofia's death was well shot (no pun intended). The donkey noise was disturbing, did no one else feel this way? Ugh.
I know there was a post before, and forgive me, I don't know who posted but I think The Death of Micheal Corleone would have been a more worthy title. With this in mind, the forgiveness scene with the Cardinal was great, seeing him come full circle from the innocent Micheal in TGF to the dark Micheal in GFII to the Micheal who sees what he's become was absolutely beautiful. The Micheal who was now ill, diabetic, troubled by his enemies and getting weaker. The scene of him dying alone is magnificent, only because when his father died, young Anthony was there. There's no one there when Micheal dies. It seems like such a powerful statement of what becomes of a man like Micheal. We start to like him at times and at the end he realizes who he is, and it pains him. I have to say with an open mind that it is not the same action packed type of story like the first two, it much more deep in some scens and not as well written in others. That in mind, I think it does deserve to be where it is, and that is the closing chapter on Micheal.

Re: For those of you who hate Part III... #30060
04/20/06 11:45 AM
04/20/06 11:45 AM
New Market, MD
Underboss
Underboss
New Market, MD
If Part III should be appreciated for anything, it's that it succeeds in making Michael Corleone a tragic character. At the end of Part II, we see he's troubled by what he has done -- but we also get a sense that he still believes that everything he has done to that point has been necessary to "protect the family."

In Part III, he clearly see that Michael regrets killing Fredo -- as well as ordering the deaths of many men. Michael's past comes back to haunt him -- and while the details of the story aren't always perfect -- the whole is greater than the sum of its parts.

Re: For those of you who hate Part III... #30061
04/20/06 12:23 PM
04/20/06 12:23 PM
New Jersey
AppleOnYa Offline
AppleOnYa  Offline

New Jersey
I never got the feeling of Michael being 'troubled' at the end of GFII. Seems to me he was more consumed with this 'protecting the family' thing...even to the point of being almost devoid of a soul. In that final closeup he most certainly does seem tragic to me.

I would say that in GFIII he was far more troubled by the past (hence his weepy confession about Fredo) .... or HAD been troubled in the years between the two films.

I can completely understand the need for a GFIII...there were many (including me) who wanted to know how the rest of Michael's life might unfold after that loneliness depicted at the end of GFII. I just wish it had been done better...and always will.

Apple

A wise and frugal government, which shall leave men free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned - this is the sum of good government.

- THOMAS JEFFERSON

Re: For those of you who hate Part III... #30062
04/20/06 01:14 PM
04/20/06 01:14 PM
New Market, MD
Underboss
Underboss
New Market, MD
Originally posted by AppleOnYa:
I never got the feeling of Michael being 'troubled' at the end of GFII. Seems to me he was more consumed with this 'protecting the family' thing...even to the point of being almost devoid of a soul. In that final closeup he most certainly does seem tragic to me.

I would say that in GFIII he was far more troubled by the past (hence his weepy confession about Fredo) .... or HAD been troubled in the years between the two films.

I can completely understand the need for a GFIII...there were many (including me) who wanted to know how the rest of Michael's life might unfold after that loneliness depicted at the end of GFII. I just wish it had been done better...and always will.

Apple
I think that every GF fan feels the same way. I am, however, happy that we got what we got, considering that it took this long, and was this complicated to get made.

I'd rather have what we got, then nothing at all. It sure makes these message boards more interesting!

Re: For those of you who hate Part III... [Re: Moscarelli] #397852
06/04/07 05:15 AM
06/04/07 05:15 AM
Alexander Kokotas Offline
Wiseguy
Alexander Kokotas  Offline
Wiseguy
 Originally Posted By: Moscarelli
I am not a Godfather III hater. In fact, I hardly can consider the movie any worse then the previous two. And, here's why...

For one thing, I don't consider The Godfather III to be, just the third installment. In Coppola's commentary for the film, he mentions that he tried his hardest to convince the studio to have it be named The Death of Michael Corleone. You see, it wasn't part three, it was the end, the last page. For example, say your building a a tall tower. Now, each block may be different but simmilar in so many other ways, whereas, the roof, the cap, is always much more unusual. This was simply a way to give us closure, not the story of the Corleones neccesarily. And I believe it did just that.

Also, what the hell is so horrible with Sophia Coppola's acting? I'll admit, not Oscar worthy, but, come one, you guys beat up on her too much. I mean, she played it all perfectly fine, definately believable. I mean, I've seen far worse acting, this is hardly considered to be horrible, or even bad.

Now, granted, the third movie is complicated. But, so was the second installment. I mean, it took me just as many viewings to understand The Godfather II as it did The Godfather III. I think the problem is simply that it wasn't as exciting, and it wasn't the same Michael. It was not a subject that many would find interesting. But I see it as, hey, this is where Michael is, whether I fancied it all or not. I was interested in Michael and his family. Indeed, they all changed quite a bit, but it had been a couple decades, and is change in character not inevitable?

The only thing I didn't like, was the fact that Vincent was made up entirely. But, you must remember, the book and the movie are both two different things. The movie was based on the novel, it wasn't the novel with moving pictures. I mean, when Vito dies, in the book, Michael is there to say goodbye, in the movie, his grandson is there to watch him die. In the second installment, when Vito's mother is killed, it is in a different way then in the book. The two worlds are different, and as much as I would have rather seen the movie more congruent to the novel, I did like the fact of Sonny's bastard son showing up.

So, there, thats all I have to say. Feel free to critisize, disagree, what have you. But, let me end with this. It is The Godfather we all fell in love with. And I see it like this, can you be an absolutely true fan if you hate part of the trilogy so very much? Hmmm...

I agree with everything Moscarelli has said. Although I and II are better, III is excellent on its own. And its really an extended finale to II, rather than another chapter... Thats how I see it.

The higher up you go, the crookeder it becomes..
Re: For those of you who hate Part III... [Re: Sammy the Bull] #398062
06/04/07 10:52 PM
06/04/07 10:52 PM
My own world.
whisper Offline
Underboss
whisper  Offline
Underboss
My own world.
Like most i dont hate part 3 but like most of the people on here,i do agree that it is flawed at times.Imo i think Sophia Coppola almost ruined this film with her attempt at acting.Francis should have known better and not have let his bias get in the way.

Whisper

The hero and the coward both feel the same thing, but the hero uses his fear, projects it onto his opponent, while the coward runs. It's the same thing, fear, but it's what you do with it that matters. Cus D'Amato
Re: For those of you who hate Part III... [Re: whisper] #398121
06/05/07 07:02 AM
06/05/07 07:02 AM
Wiseguy
Wiseguy
Come on, Sofia grows on you. I've seen the film a few days ago, and she wasn't half bad. She wasn't really, you know, acting majestically or anything - she was natural. Nothing extreme. She wasn't really bad. Her acting job just wasn't Pacino or Garcia-esque...

Now, I will say that IF Winona Ryder had been in the film, it would've fared better - because Mary's vulnerability would've come off better than it did. Plus, Rider IS a better actress than Sofia Coppola, no matter what anyone says.

Re: For those of you who hate Part III... [Re: Alexander Kokotas] #398144
06/05/07 09:57 AM
06/05/07 09:57 AM
New York
SC Offline
Consigliere
SC  Offline
Consigliere

New York
 Originally Posted By: Alexander Kokotas
Come on, Sofia grows on you.

So does a fungus.

Re: For those of you who hate Part III... [Re: SC] #398147
06/05/07 10:05 AM
06/05/07 10:05 AM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club
 Originally Posted By: SC

So does a fungus.

So does Gnocchi.

Don Cardi cool

Five - ten years from now, they're gonna wish there was American Cosa Nostra. Five - ten years from now, they're gonna miss John Gotti.

Re: For those of you who hate Part III... [Re: Don Cardi] #398241
06/05/07 02:40 PM
06/05/07 02:40 PM
With Geary in Fredo's Brothel
dontomasso Offline
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline
Consigliere to the Stars

With Geary in Fredo's Brothel
 Originally Posted By: Don Cardi
 Originally Posted By: SC

So does a fungus.

So does Gnocchi.

So does Vincent when he is making gnocchi

"Io sono stanco, sono imbigliato, and I wan't everyone here to know, there ain't gonna be no trouble from me..Don Corleone..Cicc' a port!"

"I stood in the courtroom like a fool."

"I am Constanza: Lord of the idiots."

Re: For those of you who hate Part III... [Re: dontomasso] #398280
06/05/07 03:49 PM
06/05/07 03:49 PM
Wiseguy
Wiseguy
I think there's been worse acting around us than Sofia Coppola. She just wasn't as good as the rest, and thats hardly her fault...

Re: For those of you who hate Part III... [Re: Alexander Kokotas] #398290
06/05/07 05:11 PM
06/05/07 05:11 PM
New Market, MD
Underboss
Underboss
New Market, MD
Interesting this is still being debated.

I'm still firm in my belief that Part III is a flawed film, but a good film.

Re: For those of you who hate Part III... [Re: DeathByClotheshanger] #398405
06/06/07 06:16 AM
06/06/07 06:16 AM
Wiseguy
Wiseguy
Flawed, yes. Terrible? No way...

I agree with DeathByClotheshanger.

Re: For those of you who hate Part III... [Re: DeathByClotheshanger] #402380
06/15/07 01:55 AM
06/15/07 01:55 AM
james_cagney Offline
Wiseguy
james_cagney  Offline
Wiseguy
I think Part III is a very underrated and well done conclusion. I never watch movies to look for flaws, I look for redeeming qualities and this has plenty.

"It rubs the lotion on its skin or else it gets the hose again." - Jame Gumb, The Silence of the Lambs.

"I'm sick of carrying guns and beating up women."- James Cagney
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull