GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
4 registered members (Ciment, joepuzzles234, 2 invisible), 513 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,618
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 24,110
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,518
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,382
Posts1,059,706
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Casablanca #461651
01/06/08 05:58 PM
01/06/08 05:58 PM
Beth E Offline OP
Crabby
Beth E  Offline OP
Crabby

I can't believe SC never started a thread on this yet. \:o \:\)

In World War II Casablanca, Rick Blaine, exiled American and former freedom fighter, runs the most popular nightspot in town. The cynical lone wolf Blaine comes into the possession of two valuable letters of transit. When Nazi Major Strasser arrives in Casablanca, the sycophantic police Captain Renault does what he can to please him, including detaining Czech underground leader Victor Laszlo. Much to Rick's surprise, Lazslo arrives with Ilsa, Rick's one time love. Rick is very bitter towards Ilsa, who ran out on him in Paris, but when he learns she had good reason to, they plan to run off together again using the letters of transit. Well, that was their original plan....
----------------------------

I finally got to watch this yesterday. Santa was lovely enough to send this to me for Christmas. It's a vastly enjoyable, entertaining movie. You just want to play it again. Pun intended.

While some points of the movie left me puzzled. If Casablanca is not occupied, then why are the Germans there. And what did Rick do to get banished from America?

What you do you think Rick and Louis ended up doing after? Maybe opening a Hooters?

Last edited by Beth E; 01/06/08 05:58 PM.

How about a little less questions and a lot more shut the hell up - Brian Griffin

When there's a will...put me in it.
Re: Casablanca [Re: Beth E] #461657
01/06/08 06:09 PM
01/06/08 06:09 PM
Gateshead, UK
Capo de La Cosa Nostra Offline
Capo de La Cosa Nostra  Offline

Gateshead, UK
The absolute epitome of constantly-moving, always-witty, forever-gripping film-making, the kind only Golden Age Hollywood could have produced. Acting, writing, directing and music are all peak, not to mention the cinematography. As good as Bogart and Bergman are, the supporting cast are, for me, just as strong. I love it.

Michael Curtiz was a prolific and much respected director working in Hollywood; at first glance he seems more of a craftsman (and an excellent one even if he merely is so) than an artist, but dig deeper and you see a distinctive visual style of crammed, busy frames and glorious monochrome lighting if not striking Technicolor.

Casablanca is amazing, though my favourite Curtiz film will always be, I imagine, The Adventures of Robin Hood (1938).

...dot com bold typeface rhetoric.
You go clickety click and get your head split.
'The hell you look like on a message board
Discussing whether or not the Brother is hardcore?
Re: Casablanca [Re: Beth E] #461668
01/06/08 06:52 PM
01/06/08 06:52 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
 Originally Posted By: Beth E
I can't believe SC never started a thread on this yet. \:o \:\)

In World War II Casablanca, Rick Blaine, exiled American and former freedom fighter, runs the most popular nightspot in town. The cynical lone wolf Blaine comes into the possession of two valuable letters of transit. When Nazi Major Strasser arrives in Casablanca, the sycophantic police Captain Renault does what he can to please him, including detaining Czech underground leader Victor Laszlo. Much to Rick's surprise, Lazslo arrives with Ilsa, Rick's one time love. Rick is very bitter towards Ilsa, who ran out on him in Paris, but when he learns she had good reason to, they plan to run off together again using the letters of transit. Well, that was their original plan....
----------------------------

I finally got to watch this yesterday. Santa was lovely enough to send this to me for Christmas. It's a vastly enjoyable, entertaining movie. You just want to play it again. Pun intended.

While some points of the movie left me puzzled. If Casablanca is not occupied, then why are the Germans there. And what did Rick do to get banished from America?

What you do you think Rick and Louis ended up doing after? Maybe opening a Hooters?

France's colonial empire included much of North Africa. Since the southern part of France was left unoccupied by the Germans, it was under the control of sympathetic French government run out of Vichy. The Vichy government controlled North Africa and allowed German activities.

Rick wasn't banished from America. He chose to leave rather than endure the legal heat which the character of was not stated in the movie as far as I remember.

"Generosity. That was my first mistake."
"Experience must be our only guide; reason may mislead us."
"Instagram is Twitter for people who can't read."
Re: Casablanca [Re: olivant] #461669
01/06/08 06:58 PM
01/06/08 06:58 PM
Beth E Offline OP
Crabby
Beth E  Offline OP
Crabby

Thanks for that explanation Olivant. That makes it a lot clearer now.

I plan on watching it again. I'll have to check for the part where it explains whey Rick left America. I thought the scene where the German officer was listing the information they have on him he indicated Rick was banished.

Last edited by Beth E; 01/06/08 06:59 PM.

How about a little less questions and a lot more shut the hell up - Brian Griffin

Re: Casablanca [Re: Beth E] #461675
01/06/08 07:19 PM
01/06/08 07:19 PM
New York
Sicilian Babe Offline
Sicilian Babe  Offline

New York
There are so many great scenes, but one of my personal favorites is when the Germans are singing around the piano and Victor begins the Marseillaise (forgive me if I spelled that wrong). It was just so inspiring.

There are so many wonderfully funny lines, too. "Casablanca is in the desert." "I was misinformed."
"Are my eyes really blue?"
"There is gambling in this establishment!" "Your winnings, sir."

And, naturally, the scene at the airport. Without spoiling this classic for anyone who may not have scene it, it is undoubtedly some of the best-written and best-performed dialogue. Just beautiful.

Edit: And I think that there is one close-up of Ilsa, when Rick first sees her in his bar, that shows Ingrid Bergman to be one of the most breathtaking women ever captured on film.

Last edited by Sicilian Babe; 01/06/08 07:20 PM.

President Emeritus of the Neal Pulcawer Fan Club
Re: Casablanca [Re: Sicilian Babe] #461676
01/06/08 07:23 PM
01/06/08 07:23 PM
Beth E Offline OP
Crabby
Beth E  Offline OP
Crabby

Originally Posted By: Sicilian Babe
There are so many great scenes, but one of my personal favorites is when the Germans are singing around the piano and Victor begins the Marseillaise (forgive me if I spelled that wrong). It was just so inspiring.

There are so many wonderfully funny lines, too. "Casablanca is in the desert." "I was misinformed."

And, naturally, the scene at the airport. Without spoiling this classic for anyone who may not have scene it, it is undoubtedly some of the best-written and best-performed dialogue. Just beautiful.

Edit: And I think that there is one close-up of Ilsa, when Rick first sees her in his bar, that shows Ingrid Bergman to be one of the most breathtaking women ever captured on film.

You're not the only one who loves the scene where Victor intercedes the German's singing. It is very powerful.

Although, I think Rick questioned if his eyes were brown. Maybe that's why he was puzzled.

I agree, there were some great scenes. Bogey would have made a good extra on West Wing. \:\)

Re: Casablanca [Re: Sicilian Babe] #461681
01/06/08 07:33 PM
01/06/08 07:33 PM
Gateshead, UK
Capo de La Cosa Nostra Offline
Capo de La Cosa Nostra  Offline

Gateshead, UK

Agreed. I saw it one the big screen and it gave me goosebumps on my neck, no kidding.

Regarding Bergman, she's ravishing in this, but I prefer her even more in Notorious - I think Hitchcock got the best out of every actress he filmed.

...dot com bold typeface rhetoric.
You go clickety click and get your head split.
'The hell you look like on a message board
Discussing whether or not the Brother is hardcore?
Re: Casablanca [Re: Capo de La Cosa Nostra] #461694
01/06/08 08:24 PM
01/06/08 08:24 PM
New York
Sicilian Babe Offline
Sicilian Babe  Offline

New York
Off the topic a tad, but the first time that I ever saw Isabella Rosellini, I didn't think she looked like Ingrid Bergman. I immediately changed my mind when she smiled.

I've never seen Notorious, so I can't say. Although I have seen her in other roles, Ilsa will always be my favorite.

Re: Casablanca [Re: Sicilian Babe] #461716
01/06/08 10:36 PM
01/06/08 10:36 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas

What about "Shocked, shocked ..."?

One of the greatest movies ever made revolving around a love affair and not a bare breast in sight.

Last edited by olivant; 01/06/08 10:38 PM.

Re: Casablanca [Re: olivant] #461731
01/06/08 11:45 PM
01/06/08 11:45 PM
East Bay
Blibbleblabble Offline
Poo-tee-weet?
Blibbleblabble  Offline
Poo-tee-weet?

East Bay
I watched this movie about two years ago and loved it. I can't remember anything about it now. I rarely forget the movies I watch, especially one like Casablanca. So I can't explain why it didn't stick with me.

"There's never enough time to do all the nothing you want." -Calvin and Hobbes
Re: Casablanca [Re: Blibbleblabble] #461732
01/06/08 11:48 PM
01/06/08 11:48 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
 Originally Posted By: Blibbleblabble
I watched this movie about two years ago and loved it. I can't remember anything about it now. I rarely forget the movies I watch, especially one like Casablanca. So I can't explain why it didn't stick with me.

Madonne! How could you forget it?

Re: Casablanca [Re: olivant] #461733
01/06/08 11:55 PM
01/06/08 11:55 PM
East Bay
Blibbleblabble Offline
Poo-tee-weet?
Blibbleblabble  Offline
Poo-tee-weet?

East Bay
I have no idea, I'm baffled as well.

"There's never enough time to do all the nothing you want." -Calvin and Hobbes
Re: Casablanca [Re: Blibbleblabble] #461738
01/07/08 02:16 AM
01/07/08 02:16 AM
New York
SC Offline
Consigliere
SC  Offline
Consigliere

New York
Its one of my favorite movies of all-time. A wonderful love story, though its much more than just that. Its about ideals and the summation of Rick's near the end in which he says the problems of two people in the world don't amount to much in view of whats going on around them is perfect.

The character of Rick Blaine is perfectly captured by Bogart. He's a man's-man and is the type I'd like to be. He sticks to his guns, he's in "it" for fun but yet he's deadly serious.

Ingrid Bergman's "Ilsa" is wonderfully portrayed as a classic beauty whom men would kill for. (I was totally shocked to read once that she and Bogey really didn't have a close relationship while filming the movie - they had such awesome chemistry on-screen).

The rest of the cast was equal to its two "stars". There wasn't a bad performance in the bunch and the depth of those characters added greatly to the story. Sydney Greenstreet almost stole the movie but Claude Rains' and Peter Lorre's portrayals must be mentioned honorably as well.

There were many comedic moments that lighten up the general mood of the movie but the real strength of its story revolves around the passion-filled romance of Rick and Ilsa.

My favorite scene is, like a few others have already mentioned, the drowning out of the Nazi's music with the French national anthem. Its one of the most moving scenes I've ever viewed and each of the characters in it was superb.

Harlan Lebo (the same guy who wrote "The Godfather Legacy") has a wonderful book on "Casablanca" and I'd recommend it to anyone who really likes the movie.

Re: Casablanca [Re: SC] #461760
01/07/08 07:16 AM
01/07/08 07:16 AM
New York
Sicilian Babe Offline
Sicilian Babe  Offline

New York
SC, I read somewhere that Bogart was not thrilled with the choice of Ingrid Bergman because he thought she was too tall.

Anyway, here's looking at you, kid.

Re: Casablanca [Re: Sicilian Babe] #461772
01/07/08 10:40 AM
01/07/08 10:40 AM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck

"The waters? What waters? We're in the desert."

"I got news for you. If it wasn't for the toilet, there would be no books." --- George Costanza.
Re: Casablanca [Re: pizzaboy] #461775
01/07/08 10:56 AM
Beth E Offline OP
Crabby
Beth E  Offline OP
Crabby

I can't get the song "As time goes by" out of my head now.

I was pleasantly surprised when I watched it for the first time and noted the "funny" scenes. I didn't expect them.

Re: Casablanca [Re: Beth E] #461776
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
I can't believe it was your first time, Beth!

"I got news for you. If it wasn't for the toilet, there would be no books." --- George Costanza.
Re: Casablanca [Re: pizzaboy] #461783
01/07/08 11:07 AM
01/07/08 11:07 AM
Beth E Offline OP
Crabby
Beth E  Offline OP
Crabby

Originally Posted By: pizzaboy

I'm no longer a virigin.

It happens to the best of us I guess.

Re: Casablanca [Re: Beth E] #461784
01/07/08 11:08 AM
01/07/08 11:08 AM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck

I'm no longer a virigin.

It grew back?

Re: Casablanca [Re: pizzaboy] #461785
01/07/08 11:10 AM
01/07/08 11:10 AM
Beth E Offline OP
Crabby
Beth E  Offline OP
Crabby

I'm no longer a virigin.

It grew back?

It happened when I went to the Virgin Islands.

Re: Casablanca [Re: Beth E] #462135
01/09/08 01:22 PM
01/09/08 01:22 PM
With Geary in Fredo's Brothel
dontomasso Offline
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline
Consigliere to the Stars

Lest we forget even Michael Corleone said he might prefer Kay if she was Ingrid Bergman.

"Io sono stanco, sono imbigliato, and I wan't everyone here to know, there ain't gonna be no trouble from me..Don Corleone..Cicc' a port!"

"I stood in the courtroom like a fool."

"I am Constanza: Lord of the idiots."

Re: Casablanca [Re: dontomasso] #462682
01/10/08 01:31 PM
01/10/08 01:31 PM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club
For anyone interested, Turner Classic Movies will be showing Casablanca on

Jan 17, 08:00PM & Feb 05, 01:00AM.

Don Cardi cool

Five - ten years from now, they're gonna wish there was American Cosa Nostra. Five - ten years from now, they're gonna miss John Gotti.

Re: Casablanca [Re: Don Cardi] #462692
01/10/08 02:38 PM
01/10/08 02:38 PM
dontomasso Offline
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline
Consigliere to the Stars

Originally Posted By: Don Cardi
For anyone interested, Turner Classic Movies will be showing Casablanca on

Jan 17, 08:00PM & Feb 05, 01:00AM.

You mean there are people out there who don't own it?

"Io sono stanco, sono imbigliato, and I wan't everyone here to know, there ain't gonna be no trouble from me..Don Corleone..Cicc' a port!"

"I stood in the courtroom like a fool."

"I am Constanza: Lord of the idiots."

Re: Casablanca [Re: dontomasso] #462693
01/10/08 02:53 PM
01/10/08 02:53 PM
Beth E Offline OP
Crabby
Beth E  Offline OP
Crabby

Up until 2 weeks ago I didn't.

Somehow watching movies on tv when everyone else does makes it a different experience. I think a lot of us own The Godfather but tend to still watch it when it's on tv.

Re: Casablanca [Re: dontomasso] #462695
01/10/08 02:57 PM
01/10/08 02:57 PM
OH, VA, KY
Mignon Offline
Mama Mig
Mignon  Offline
Mama Mig

OH, VA, KY
 Originally Posted By: dontomasso
You mean there are people out there who don't own it?

I don't and I've never seen it

Dylan Matthew Moran born 10/30/12

Re: Casablanca [Re: Mignon] #462702
01/10/08 03:11 PM
01/10/08 03:11 PM
Pennsylvania
klydon1 Offline
klydon1  Offline

Pennsylvania
There are two movies that I actually own, and I don't know when I last watched them. Both were given as gifts: The Blair Witch Project, which I liked but am not in a rush to see again, and The Passion of the Christ, which I thought was very good, and will watch again.

I'll try to see Casablanca next week, but 8pm in my house tends to be a busy time in my house with the kids' schedules. I usually get to sit down by 10pm.

Re: Casablanca [Re: klydon1] #462727
01/10/08 06:11 PM
01/10/08 06:11 PM
New York
Sicilian Babe Offline
Sicilian Babe  Offline

New York
DVR, Klyd!! Although I should talk. If I want to DVR anything, I have to get my daughter to do it for me.

I own movies on DVD that I rarely watch on DVD, but always watch on TV (like The Godfather Trilogy). I think it might be because many of them are what Mr. Babe would disparagingly refer to as a "chick flick", and he doesn't want to watch with me.

Re: Casablanca [Re: Sicilian Babe] #463017
01/11/08 12:21 AM
01/11/08 12:21 AM
Pennsylvania
klydon1 Offline
klydon1  Offline

Pennsylvania
DVR, Klyd!! Although I should talk. If I want to DVR anything, I have to get my daughter to do it for me.

I own movies on DVD that I rarely watch on DVD, but always watch on TV (like The Godfather Trilogy). I think it might be because many of them are what Mr. Babe would disparagingly refer to as a "chick flick", and he doesn't want to watch with me.

I have a DVD/VCR player. I used to be able to program VCRs, but I too would need assistance from my kids.

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull