GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (dixiemafia), 283 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,590
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 24,062
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,517
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,364
Posts1,059,430
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 35 1 2 3 34 35
Presidential Primaries 2008 #460601
01/01/08 10:19 PM
01/01/08 10:19 PM
Sweden
LBG Offline OP
Made Member
LBG  Offline OP
Made Member
Sweden
Just two days to go to the Iowa caucuses! It will be very exciting!

I've been following the presidential election campaign very closely (for a European) during the last six-seven months or so. My choice has been quite clear ever since I got to know just a little about the candidates - the honorable and experienced John McCain. Therefor I've been happy with the development during the last couple of weeks, with his massive surge in New Hampshire, where he challenges the very unpleasant Mitt Romney. Apart from McCain, I think that Joe Biden is a competent guy, but sadly he has no chance in a quite dull democratic race.

So, I'm turning to you Americans here, what is your view on the GOP and democratic races? How will you place your vote?

"Nobody ever mentions the weather, can make or break your day.
Nobody ever seems to remember life is a game we play"
"Hello hello it's good to be back, it's good to be back"
Re: Presidential Primaries 2008 [Re: LBG] #460608
01/01/08 11:08 PM
01/01/08 11:08 PM
In a van down by the river!
Longneck Offline
Longneck  Offline

In a van down by the river!
I was thinking to myself yesterday is that one of these people will be our next president and the sad thing is that they will be voted in.

There's no candidate I really like, most likely I'll be picking the lesser of two evils. I think McCain would get my vote over all the others but I don't think he really has much of a shot at this point. We'll see.

Long as I remember The rain been coming down.
Clouds of Mystery pouring Confusion on the ground.
Good men through the ages, Trying to find the sun;
And I wonder, Still I wonder, Who'll stop the rain.

Re: Presidential Primaries 2008 [Re: Longneck] #460676
01/02/08 10:38 AM
01/02/08 10:38 AM
Pennsylvania
klydon1 Offline
klydon1  Offline

Pennsylvania
I vote in the Pennsylvania primary, which is usually in May, when the candidates generally have already been determined. This year it is in April, which is still late. By that time I think the only remaining Democrats will be Obama, Clinton and possibly Edwards. I haven't made up my mind yet from the field.

Re: Presidential Primaries 2008 [Re: klydon1] #460677
01/02/08 11:12 AM
01/02/08 11:12 AM
Newcastle-upon-Tyne UK
Yogi Barrabbas Offline
Yogi Barrabbas  Offline

Newcastle-upon-Tyne UK
US politics seem very complicated to me....

I would rather die on my feet than live on my knees!
Re: Presidential Primaries 2008 [Re: Yogi Barrabbas] #460679
01/02/08 11:21 AM
01/02/08 11:21 AM
New York
SC Offline
Consigliere
SC  Offline
Consigliere

New York
 Originally Posted By: Yogi Barrabbas
US politics seem very complicated to me....

No kidding. In our attempt to do away with a king, we screwed up royally.

Re: Presidential Primaries 2008 [Re: SC] #460681
01/02/08 11:23 AM
01/02/08 11:23 AM
Newcastle-upon-Tyne UK
Yogi Barrabbas Offline
Yogi Barrabbas  Offline

Newcastle-upon-Tyne UK
\:\)

Re: Presidential Primaries 2008 [Re: Yogi Barrabbas] #460689
01/02/08 11:43 AM
01/02/08 11:43 AM
With Geary in Fredo's Brothel
dontomasso Offline
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline
Consigliere to the Stars

I'd like to see Obama get the Dem nod and McCain the GOP.

"Io sono stanco, sono imbigliato, and I wan't everyone here to know, there ain't gonna be no trouble from me..Don Corleone..Cicc' a port!"

"I stood in the courtroom like a fool."

"I am Constanza: Lord of the idiots."

Re: Presidential Primaries 2008 [Re: dontomasso] #460707
01/02/08 12:31 PM
01/02/08 12:31 PM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
 Originally Posted By: dontomasso
I'd like to see Obama get the Dem nod and McCain the GOP.

I could live with those.

"I got news for you. If it wasn't for the toilet, there would be no books." --- George Costanza.
Re: Presidential Primaries 2008 [Re: pizzaboy] #460734
01/02/08 03:25 PM
01/02/08 03:25 PM
dontomasso Offline
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline
Consigliere to the Stars

Thats the point.

"Io sono stanco, sono imbigliato, and I wan't everyone here to know, there ain't gonna be no trouble from me..Don Corleone..Cicc' a port!"

Re: Presidential Primaries 2008 [Re: LBG] #460736
01/02/08 03:27 PM
01/02/08 03:27 PM
California
The Italian Stallionette Offline
The Italian Stallionette  Offline

California
Well LBG, you may have opened a real can of worms here. \:o

I don't know about anybody else here, but I have been literally glued to just about everything about this upcoming Presidential race for a very very long time now. I have tried to size up the candidates (moreso the major contenders anyway)I have watched most of the debates (on both sides), read a lot of tidbits/info on each candidate and am still undecided.

Let me say this much for those who maybe haven't been following yet or haven't been reading blogs, etc. Blogs of course don't determine the elction, but trust me, I see a real real verbally agressive and determined nation (on both sides), and I have a feeling the talking heads are NOT paying much attention to.

My predictions: Although I don't look for either to "win", Ron Paul is soooooo popular on the Conservative blog sites and he will most likely get many many more votes than most think (at least in Iowa and/or/if until he drops out). I suppose this could in turn take votes away from another major Republican contender.

On the Dem side, Kucinch (who just today said if he doesn't win encourages his followeres to vote for Obama..so sounds like he's already giving up), will also receive a lot more votes than most think. However, just today, I am reading a lot of negative blogs about Kucinich making the statement today to vote for Obama. His followers are NOT happy.

One thing for sure, in my opinion, for whatever it is worth, I do really really think this will be an election of surprises. From what I can tell, people of both sides are so ready for a major change in our country, even if each side has different ideas as to how that change should come about. That, along with the real possiblity that we could get our first woman or first black President, makes it a very historic election.

I'm looking forward to it actually. Ok, my two cents and now I'm gonna "try" to bite my tongue and stay away from here, but of course can't make any promises. \:p

TIS

"Mankind must put an end to war before war puts an end to mankind. War will exist until that distant day when the conscientious objector enjoys the same reputation and prestige that the warrior does today." JFK

"War is over, if you want it" - John Lennon

Re: Presidential Primaries 2008 [Re: Longneck] #460755
01/02/08 05:16 PM
01/02/08 05:16 PM
Right here, but I'd rather be ...
long_lost_corleone Offline
Underboss
long_lost_corleone  Offline
Underboss
 Originally Posted By: Longneck
I think McCain would get my vote over all the others but I don't think he really has much of a shot at this point.

Sometimes he really gets me in, but then he'll follow up by saying something I totally disagree with... Isn't/wasn't he in support of reinstating the draft? We really need a president who is in little support for the war, if any. It's just hurting us as a whole, I think.

But anyways, at this point, Obama has my vote. I'm a registered Democrat, so I can't really vote in the Republican primaries, but even if I could, I don't know who I'd vote for... None of them really catch my eye. If I really had to, I'd probably just jokingly vote for Ron Paul, because he is pro-legalization, which, while a fine cause by me, is not going to happen anytime soon, and I'd just end up "throwing" my vote away. But even still, if we were to find ourselves in another rut like 2004 involving two bad candidates and an unlikely third party candidate, who seems to be the only one with any integrity left, I'd gladly "throw" my vote away on the underdog.

"Somebody told me when the bomb hits, everybody in a two mile radius will be instantly sublimated, but if you lay face down on the ground for some time, avoiding the residual ripples of heat, you might survive, permanently fucked up and twisted like you're always underwater refracted. But if you do go gas, there's nothing you can do if the air that was once you is mingled and mashed with the kicked up molecules of the enemy's former body. Big-kid-tested, motherf--ker approved."
Re: Presidential Primaries 2008 [Re: long_lost_corleone] #460763
01/02/08 06:08 PM
01/02/08 06:08 PM
Pennsylvania
klydon1 Offline
klydon1  Offline

Pennsylvania
 Originally Posted By: long_lost_corleone

But anyways, at this point, Obama has my vote. I'm a registered Democrat, so I can't really vote in the Republican primaries, but even if I could, I don't know who I'd vote for... None of them really catch my eye. If I really had to, I'd probably just jokingly vote for Ron Paul, because he is pro-legalization, which, while a fine cause by me, is not going to happen anytime soon, and I'd just end up "throwing" my vote away. But even still, if we were to find ourselves in another rut like 2004 involving two bad candidates and an unlikely third party candidate, who seems to be the only one with any integrity left, I'd gladly "throw" my vote away on the underdog.

If you vote for the man or woman you honestly thought would make the best president, you're not throwing your vote away.

Re: Presidential Primaries 2008 [Re: klydon1] #460787
01/02/08 08:47 PM
01/02/08 08:47 PM
long_lost_corleone Offline
Underboss
long_lost_corleone  Offline
Underboss
Yes and no. Morally, you are not. Politically, you are.

If I had been of age in 2004, I would have voted for Nader, has he seemed to be the best man for the job. Let's face it, Kerry allowed the masses to turn him into a puppet to project what he thought they wanted him to say, at any given moment. And Bush... Well, that's clearly gone to shit. So, of course I would've voted for Nader, but I referred to it, with little seriousness (hence the quotes), as "throwing away" a vote, because too many people vote with the mentality that they must vote within their party. Too much to the degree that it makes it nearly impossible to get a third party candidate into the presidency.

"Somebody told me when the bomb hits, everybody in a two mile radius will be instantly sublimated, but if you lay face down on the ground for some time, avoiding the residual ripples of heat, you might survive, permanently fucked up and twisted like you're always underwater refracted. But if you do go gas, there's nothing you can do if the air that was once you is mingled and mashed with the kicked up molecules of the enemy's former body. Big-kid-tested, motherf--ker approved."
Re: Presidential Primaries 2008 [Re: long_lost_corleone] #460796
01/02/08 10:02 PM
01/02/08 10:02 PM
New York
Sicilian Babe Offline
Sicilian Babe  Offline

New York
Well, let's face it, you can thank Ross Perot for getting Clinton into the White House.

When I registered to vote, I didn't declare a party. It sort of sucks, because I can't vote in any primaries. However, I am that elusive voter that all the candidates want to woo, so you would be AMAZED at the amount of literature I get in the month of October.

I think that nobody should vote along party lines. I think that people should vote for the candidate that A. Speaks to them and represents their views and B. Would also be the best for the country at the time.

Although traditionally I don't lean towards Republicans, mostly because of the ProLife/ProChoice issue, I think that a man like Rudy Giuliani might not be a bad choice. I have to know more about his views, but I say that because I think that, above all, this country needs a leader right now, and he has proven himself in that area. Right or wrong, disagree with much of what he did or not, in the month of September, 2001, he proved himself the man that most of the world turned their eyes to. And I think that we could use that right now.

Does that mean I'd vote for him?? Too soon to tell.

President Emeritus of the Neal Pulcawer Fan Club
Re: Presidential Primaries 2008 [Re: LBG] #460848
01/03/08 12:24 PM
01/03/08 12:24 PM
California

California
Ok, I suppose I'm the only weirdo watching/following the Iowa Caucus?????? Such a confusing system. I think I am finally catching on to what a caucus actually is. Why can't we all just vote? Why even have caucuses? I don't really understand why they make the process so complicated. \:\/

TIS

"Mankind must put an end to war before war puts an end to mankind. War will exist until that distant day when the conscientious objector enjoys the same reputation and prestige that the warrior does today." JFK

Re: Presidential Primaries 2008 [Re: The Italian Stallionette] #460851
01/03/08 12:35 PM
01/03/08 12:35 PM
Houston
greekdude111 Offline
Wiseguy
greekdude111  Offline
Wiseguy
Houston
the republican field really is weak. i have NO idea who is going to get the nomination for either side. obama, hillary, edwards for dems and romney,mccain, huckabee for repubs pretty much i guess. what happened to giuliani?

"Paulie may have moved slow, but it was only because Paulie didn't have to move for anybody."
Re: Presidential Primaries 2008 [Re: greekdude111] #460877
01/03/08 01:49 PM
01/03/08 01:49 PM
dontomasso Offline
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline
Consigliere to the Stars

I wish we would have some kind of forum where the candidates could really speak their minds on the issues, and even ask each other questions such as "I love your ideas on health care, but how are you going to pay for it?" or "How can you be expected to work as a concilliator when you acted like a petulant dictator when you were mayor of New York?"

Instead we have blowhard media types who cover the horse race and not the issues. I guarantee tonight that they will be harping on things such as :

1 IN THE GOP - if McCain gets more than 15% they are going to claim he's back from the dead and that he will possible win New Hampshire. If Huckabee doesnt win outright they'll proclaim him politically dead even if he finishes second.

2. In The Dems - Its still all about Hillary. If she finishes third they will say she will have a hard time recovering. If Edwards finsihes third they will declare him politically dead, and if Obama wins they will be proclaiming the second coming of Christ (this is so they can then go after him in New Hampshire...after all their favorite sport is building people up and then tearing them down. Just a month ago Huckabee was the next Reagan and now he's the village idiot).

Re: Presidential Primaries 2008 [Re: dontomasso] #460879
01/03/08 01:56 PM
01/03/08 01:56 PM
California

California
Like I said, it does get complicated and yes I wish the media blitz would end. I could easily do without the slams on each party. Everyone claims they don't like negative ads, but I really think most people like them, although I'm NOT one of them. They did work in destroying Kerry last election.

Anyway, from my understanding of the caucus's is: One MUST show up and literally stand and vote for a particular nominee, in front of everyone. There must be a certain number of people to stand up and say they vote for that person, or that person is eliminated (in that state caucus). "IF" that person doesn't have enough votes these people can go to their next choice (which is why Kucinich told his followers to go to Obama...he assumes he won't have enough votes). Then, from what I understand, there are many Independents and undecideds AND they claim, that young voters, if they show could have an impact. Anyone else who knows more of this procedure and or understands it differently feel free to post. I just don't think this is a fair process.

TIS

Re: Presidential Primaries 2008 [Re: greekdude111] #460880
01/03/08 01:57 PM
01/03/08 01:57 PM
OH, VA, KY
Mignon Offline
Mama Mig
Mignon  Offline
Mama Mig

OH, VA, KY
 Originally Posted By: greekdude111
the republican field really is weak. i have NO idea who is going to get the nomination for either side. obama, hillary, edwards for dems and romney,mccain, huckabee for repubs pretty much i guess. what happened to giuliani?

What happened to Fred Thompson?

Dylan Matthew Moran born 10/30/12

Re: Presidential Primaries 2008 [Re: Mignon] #460882
01/03/08 02:05 PM
01/03/08 02:05 PM
dontomasso Offline
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline
Consigliere to the Stars

Originally Posted By: Mignon

What happened to Fred Thompson?

Shhhhh Miggie, you'll wake him up.

Re: Presidential Primaries 2008 [Re: dontomasso] #460883
01/03/08 02:06 PM
01/03/08 02:06 PM
Houston
greekdude111 Offline
Wiseguy
greekdude111  Offline
Wiseguy
Houston
thompson seems like he was pushed into the race and he doesn't really have much fire when he speaks. it shows in his poll numbers

"Paulie may have moved slow, but it was only because Paulie didn't have to move for anybody."
Re: Presidential Primaries 2008 [Re: greekdude111] #460884
01/03/08 02:21 PM
01/03/08 02:21 PM
dontomasso Offline
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline
Consigliere to the Stars

Greekdude, I think Giuliani was a Johnny one note candidate.

It was all 9/11 all the time, and he idnt have much else to say.
Also he has lots of skeletons in his closet.

Re: Presidential Primaries 2008 [Re: dontomasso] #460977
01/03/08 08:00 PM
01/03/08 08:00 PM
Sweden
LBG Offline OP
Made Member
LBG  Offline OP
Made Member
Sweden
Thompson will probably drop out tonight if he doesn't finish 3rd tonight. And endorse McCain \:\)

Giuliani is not existant in Iowa, he focuses everything on winning Florida and then other big states on Super Tuesday. A risky strategy. He will probably finish 6th tonight.

TIS: I think that it is a bizarre process indeed, but it certainly have many very good points. There was a good article in The Economist about this: http://www.economist.com/opinion/displaystory.cfm?story_id=10328996

Re: Presidential Primaries 2008 [Re: LBG] #460991
01/03/08 08:55 PM
01/03/08 08:55 PM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club

The formula for choosing delegates would baffle Einstein.

Don Cardi cool

Five - ten years from now, they're gonna wish there was American Cosa Nostra. Five - ten years from now, they're gonna miss John Gotti.

Re: Presidential Primaries 2008 [Re: Don Cardi] #460995
01/03/08 09:31 PM
01/03/08 09:31 PM
New York
Sicilian Babe Offline
Sicilian Babe  Offline

New York
As I've said, because I can't vote in a primary I don't pay too much attention. However, that's probably been neglectful on my part. I honestly have no idea these things are chosen.

President Emeritus of the Neal Pulcawer Fan Club
Re: Presidential Primaries 2008 [Re: Sicilian Babe] #461014
01/04/08 01:08 AM
01/04/08 01:08 AM
East Tennessee
R
ronnierocketAGO Offline
ronnierocketAGO  Offline
R

East Tennessee
Well, Bye Bye "Clinton is the Front-Runner."

(D)

Obama - 38%
Edwards - 30%
Clinton - 29%

(R)

Huckabee - 34%
Romney - 25%
Thompson - 14%
McCain - 13%
Paul - 10%
Guiliani - 4%

Re: Presidential Primaries 2008 [Re: ronnierocketAGO] #461016
01/04/08 01:20 AM
01/04/08 01:20 AM
OH, VA, KY
Mignon Offline
Mama Mig
Mignon  Offline
Mama Mig

OH, VA, KY

Dylan Matthew Moran born 10/30/12

Re: Presidential Primaries 2008 [Re: Mignon] #461036
01/04/08 06:55 AM
01/04/08 06:55 AM
Newcastle-upon-Tyne UK
Yogi Barrabbas Offline
Yogi Barrabbas  Offline

Newcastle-upon-Tyne UK
I thought old Hillary was the Democrats favourite?
Not any more obviously?

Re: Presidential Primaries 2008 [Re: Yogi Barrabbas] #461082
01/04/08 10:05 AM
01/04/08 10:05 AM
Sweden
LBG Offline OP
Made Member
LBG  Offline OP
Made Member
Sweden
She is, on national level. And she's got the support of the democratic establishment. Still favourite for the nomination, in my eyes, but things can change fast if Obama wins NH as well.

Re: Presidential Primaries 2008 [Re: LBG] #461103
01/04/08 10:46 AM
01/04/08 10:46 AM
Pennsylvania
klydon1 Offline
klydon1  Offline

Pennsylvania
I remember in '88, Pat Robertson finished well ahead of George Bush (papa) in Iowa. Thus, Huckabee certainly can't count any chickens right now.

Obama's victory is more significant, I think. Beating Hillary in an open field by 9 points is impressive, and the Clinton camp has to be reeling a little bit. There's a long way to go, but there are a lot of Democrats on the fence across the nation, and if Obama gains and increases momentum, he'll be hard to stop.

His big asset, like Huckabee's, is that he is not a Washington insider. His critics cite a lack of "experience," but frankly, experience hasn't gotten ourselves a lot recently.

Page 1 of 35 1 2 3 34 35

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull