GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
4 registered members (TheKillingJoke, Malavita, Giacomo, 1 invisible), 594 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,603
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 24,082
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,518
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,373
Posts1,059,546
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
"Never wanted this for you..."??? #29773
06/16/05 11:47 PM
06/16/05 11:47 PM
North End, Boston
L
Lollygagers12 Offline OP
Wiseguy
Lollygagers12  Offline OP
L
Wiseguy
North End, Boston
Hey guys, theres one thing I'm a little confused about and I would like to clear up. Remember in Godfather Part I where Vito and Michael are in the garden and Vito tells Michael that he never wanted "this" for him (implicating that he never wanted Michael to join the Family). Well how come in Godfather Part II, where they show the flashback scene to where the family is gathering for Vito's birthday and Michael tells the family that he is going to the join the Army, Tom Hagen says "Mikey we had big plans for you". Here, do these "plans" refer to joining the Family or just like the whole "Governor Corleone, Senator Corleone" thing??

Thanx...

Re: "Never wanted this for you..."??? #29774
06/17/05 12:10 AM
06/17/05 12:10 AM
Connecticut
Don Lights Offline
Underboss
Don Lights  Offline
Underboss
Connecticut
Don Vito Corleone wanted his son Michael to enter society in respectable fashion such as a senator or governor. He never wanted Michael to be involved in the mafia family. He wished for a better life for the son who he thought had potential to make something of himself in society with a respectable legal job.

Re: "Never wanted this for you..."??? #29775
06/17/05 12:47 AM
06/17/05 12:47 AM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
So, what did Vito really want for Michael?
IMO, he did not want Michael to be a Senator or a Governor and simply wash his hands of his family and their criminal activities. If Vito had had his way, Michael would have used public office to legitimize the family. As a powerful elected official, Michael could absorb much of Vito's political support and funnel labor union graft to his election campaigns. He might even work toward legalizing gambling in some form that would build upon, and legitimize, the family's activities. Sonny would head a (receding) Corleone "blue collar crime" faction, and would eventually fade from the scene.

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.
Re: "Never wanted this for you..."??? #29776
06/17/05 08:55 AM
06/17/05 08:55 AM
With Geary in Fredo's Brothel
dontomasso Offline
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline
Consigliere to the Stars

IMHO Vito wanted Michael to enter politics and the "legitimate" world, but on terms that would not have been acceptable to Michael. Vito could have used his influence to buy a congressional seat, and then probably fix the Senatorial or Gubernatorial election in the State of New York. How much the other families would have thought this made Senator Corleone or Governor Corleone beholden to them may not be something Vito thought through. I think Michael wanted something similar for himself, but in a way that allowed him to publically and privately dissassociate himself from his family.

"Io sono stanco, sono imbigliato, and I wan't everyone here to know, there ain't gonna be no trouble from me..Don Corleone..Cicc' a port!"

"I stood in the courtroom like a fool."

"I am Constanza: Lord of the idiots."

Re: "Never wanted this for you..."??? #29777
06/17/05 01:42 PM
06/17/05 01:42 PM
JustMe Offline
Underboss
JustMe  Offline
Underboss
Here's what I posted a while ago.

About Vito's plans we read in the book: “Michael had been his favorite before the war and obviously the chosen heir to run the family business when the proper moment came.”
When Clemenza is driving Kay to the Hotel and they chat, “Clemenza assured her…..that the “old man” thought Mike was the best of his sons, the one who would surely inherit the family business.”
When Mike defied his fathers command and enlisted, Vito was angry, but I don’t think he was VERY angry. It showed bravery, and he saw that Mike was just too like himself, not to be pushed by anyone. These are good qualities for the future don. Knowing Mike’s legitimate inclinations, he might decide to make him the heir to legit part of his business, if he didn’t make ALL biz such. Maybe, owning, as we know, stock in banks and Wall-street, he wished to make Mike president of the bank or something like that. Maybe he meant that saying to Mike: ”I have some plans you will like…….I wan’t ask you to do anything you don’t approve of. This is something special.” I think, he would still try to interest Mike in the business. Vito was masterfully manipulative. But Mike was a difficult person to manipulate, and if he still resisted being the don, remaining illegit activities could be given to Sonny.
What seems obvious for me, is that Vito could never be so stupid as to think seriously about any political career for his sons. Their relationship with him would make it absolutely impossible. Their opponents will implicate them in ties with mafia even if they couldn’t proof it. We remember what happened when Vito was shot. In Kay’s words: “….he seemed like such a nice man at the wedding. I can’t believe the things the papers are printing about him.” And Michael’s: “If the newspaper guys get ahold of your name and background you’ll be on page three of the Daily News. Girl from old yankee family mixed up with son of big Mafia chief. How would your parents like that?” We may imagine WHAT will papers print if Mike joined any election campaign. Vito was too smart and realistic to pronounce all that Senator-Governor stuff FFC invented for him (I guess he did it later, because we don’t see that scene in the original screenplay). And I can’t say that it was the most clever improvement he made to the plot, though it sounds so romantic. (And so unlike Vito…) And this was no time to lie, so he wouldn’t say “I never wanted this for you” either. Because he DID!
I think FFC got the idea from this Vito’s speech at the meeting with other Dons: “I have grandchildren now and I hope their children may someday, who knows, be a governor, a President, nothing’s impossible here in America.”
But children of your grandchildren and your own son – there’s a little difference….

keep your mouth shut, and your eyes open.
Re: "Never wanted this for you..."??? #29778
06/17/05 02:46 PM
06/17/05 02:46 PM
dontomasso Offline
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline
Consigliere to the Stars

Excellent post DC. I amgoing to have to re read the book

"Io sono stanco, sono imbigliato, and I wan't everyone here to know, there ain't gonna be no trouble from me..Don Corleone..Cicc' a port!"

"I stood in the courtroom like a fool."

"I am Constanza: Lord of the idiots."

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull