GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
5 registered members (CNote, TheKillingJoke, Toodoped, Mafia101, 1 invisible), 307 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,611
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 24,093
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,518
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,381
Posts1,059,641
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
No country for old men #452752
11/23/07 01:52 PM
11/23/07 01:52 PM
UK, Little old Rotherham near ...
Zaf-the-don Offline OP
Capo di tutti i capi
Zaf-the-don  Offline OP
Capo di tutti i capi
Underboss
Is this movie out in the US and if so how good is it because its got a high rating in the IMDB?

Re: No country for old men [Re: Zaf-the-don] #452802
11/23/07 02:24 PM
11/23/07 02:24 PM
East Bay
Blibbleblabble Offline
Poo-tee-weet?
Blibbleblabble  Offline
Poo-tee-weet?

East Bay
I absolutely loved this movie. In the "Movies Just Watched" thread I suggested that the casual moviegoer skip it, or at least not spend the money to see it in the theater because it doesn't end the way you would expect. All I heard walking out of the theater was "That's not an ending!" and "That ending sucked!".

The ending really throws people off because it's not the usual satisfying wrap-up, but the movie really is great in my opinion. I've been thinking about it since I saw it and will definitely watch it a second and probably third time.

My advice to anyone who decides to watch it is don't try and guess what's going to happen because you will most likely be wrong and maybe disappointed. Instead watch it without knowing anything about the movie and enjoy each and every character rather than focusing so much on the story and how it will end.

"There's never enough time to do all the nothing you want." -Calvin and Hobbes
Re: No country for old men [Re: Blibbleblabble] #452871
11/24/07 01:28 PM
11/24/07 01:28 PM
Zaf-the-don Offline OP
Capo di tutti i capi
Zaf-the-don  Offline OP
Capo di tutti i capi
Underboss
Thanks for the advice, i'll check it out when it comes at in the UK.

Re: No country for old men [Re: Zaf-the-don] #452877
11/24/07 03:29 PM
11/24/07 03:29 PM
Gateshead, UK
Capo de La Cosa Nostra Offline
Capo de La Cosa Nostra  Offline

Gateshead, UK
I'm highly anticipating this. I love the Coens.

...dot com bold typeface rhetoric.
You go clickety click and get your head split.
'The hell you look like on a message board
Discussing whether or not the Brother is hardcore?
Re: No country for old men [Re: Blibbleblabble] #455075
12/03/07 02:09 PM
12/03/07 02:09 PM
New Jersey
A
a1 Offline
Button
a1  Offline
A
Button
New Jersey
Great Movie I agree and I rather liked the unconventional ending. Like the movie THE MIST I must say it's nice to get something you don't expect once in a while.

Re: No country for old men [Re: a1] #468532
01/29/08 12:09 PM
01/29/08 12:09 PM
Gateshead, UK

Gateshead, UK
Best film of 2007? At least until I see There Will Be Blood, or re-watch Zodiac. This film is excellent. I wrote this review on Facebook:

[SPOILERS WITHIN]

This is no country for old men: Tommy Lee Jones narrates in nostalgic reminiscence over empty sunsets and desolate landscapes, to the subtle crescendo of the faintest of choral drones, a soundtrack which, atop of the blowy Texan winds, invokes an anticipation and foreboding which lingers, which hovers, which resonates without ever really being present. And nothing in this film explodes; deathly carnage comes, deathly carnage goes, and the world - as it does in Fargo - resumes its equilibrium in spite of now being a few inhabitants less.

It is worth noting, in light of the title, that Jones is an old man. An aging sheriff about to retire, he responds to a call early in the film; when warned by his wife not to get hurt, his reply is simple: "Never do". It's a telling and convincing line: throughout the film thereafter, he shows the same reluctance to get his hands dirty as Morgan Freeman's Detective Somerset in Seven. Like Fincher's film, this depicts a running relationship between a nearly-retired veteran authority and a young and naive apprentice. And even if Jones's Sheriff Bell has a far less reliable apprentice in the goofy, rather slow Wendell than Somerset does in Brad Pitt's Detective Mills, the relationship between the two, besides offering comic relief in a film full of wince-worthy violence, is fitting. Wendell (Garret Dillahunt) is enthusiastic and dumb, in way over his head as he reports back with glee to his higher-up on their case's progress; Sheriff Bell, meanwhile, knows better. "I laugh myself sometimes," he remarks with resignation at one point. "There ain't a whole lot you can do."

He's right: there's a strong sense of fatalism operating throughout the Coen brothers' latest and most mature film. From early on - no doubt due to the lack of music and the elongated, tense silences - there's a feeling of desperation about this entire story, a narrative from which very few (if any) are going to emerge. A typical take-the-money-and-run narrative is invested with strong characters and complex philosophical ponderings.

The fatalism,for instance - epitomised, perhaps, by Javier Bardem's wonderful turn as Anton Chigurh - is continually undermined, or at least challenged, by a sense of chance. Throughout, it seems, this world is forever in conflict, at the mercy of antagonising forces of determinism and hazard. People make choices in life; sometimes they turn out good, sometimes they turn out bad. When Llewelyn Moss, the film's lowly anti-hero (more of a desperate everyman), chooses to go hunting, he happens across a drug deal gone wrong. He also chooses, by his own responsibility, to take the remaining money and run. True, the satchel has a tracking device on it, and so he and his wife may have been dead sooner than expected anyway, but the fact that he chooses, once again, to return to the scene of the crime in order to bring water to the massacre's sole survivor, turns out, in retrospect, to be the dumbest choice he could have made (he admits as much before hand).

Two key, dialogue-heavy scenes involve Chigurh flipping a coin in order to decide whether or not to kill people. The first, a shop-owner, plays along (and wins) without ever knowing his life's on the line, but the second - a widowed wife who has just buried her mother (and so she's no stranger to death) - decides not to play the game of chance. The implication is as deadly as it is silent.

Fate hasn't the last say, though (and indeed, quite paradoxical, death sometimes comes down an allegorical coin-flip). If Chigurh had left the Moss home any sooner - or indeed later - his car may well have eluded the violent, earth-shattering crash of the penultimate scene. With his elbow protruding from his arm, he soldiers on, desperate to get away... and away he gets, thanks to the hospitality of two neighbouring kids-on-bikes - who, incidentally, may have been casually murdered if it hadn't been for this unexpected collision. This moment, subtle and affecting, mirrors a similar one earlier in the film, in which a bloodied Moss, on the US-Mexico border, encounters drunken youths who are stopped and awestruck by the bloodied man before them. "Hey," one of them asks, "were you in a car crash?" Their greed gets the better of them, and they only give their jacket up once Moss pays them sufficiently. It's a cyclical gesture - he could have easily come across less anal kids than these - say, those who help the film's villain at the end.

But, in fitting with cycles, it is Jones's sheriff that ends the film (and indeed, the subdued climax could be an extension of the opening voice-over). He relates two dreams he's had of his father. The first, he recalls, involved a meeting in town, and his father "was gonna give me some money; I think I lost it". The second is more obscure: his father carries a flaming torch, on his way to "fixin' to make a fire somewhere out there in all that dark and all that cold, and I knew that whenever I got there he would be there". Significantly, before digressing, he reveals that he is now over twenty years older than his father ever was.

Bewildering to some, this short monologue is integral: moments earlier, Bell himself narrowly escapes death at the hands of Chigurh, that always-lingering presence of doom. It wasn't his time to die, some law of determinism (the impossible-to-beat Chigurh?) has made it so. But Bell isn't prepared to get overly confident - Moss did, and he's dead. No: Bell must retire, to give him the fullest chance of survival in a land where survival depends entirely on the fine balance between Hazard and Fate. His time will come.

-----

I think I'm seeing it again tomorrow.

Re: No country for old men [Re: Capo de La Cosa Nostra] #468611
01/29/08 04:23 PM
01/29/08 04:23 PM
East Tennessee
R
ronnierocketAGO Offline
ronnierocketAGO  Offline
R

East Tennessee
 Originally Posted By: Capo de La Cosa Nostra
Best film of 2007? At least until I see There Will Be Blood, or re-watch Zodiac. This film is excellent. I wrote this review on Facebook:

[SPOILERS WITHIN]

This is no country for old men: Tommy Lee Jones narrates in nostalgic reminiscence over empty sunsets and desolate landscapes, to the subtle crescendo of the faintest of choral drones, a soundtrack which, atop of the blowy Texan winds, invokes an anticipation and foreboding which lingers, which hovers, which resonates without ever really being present. And nothing in this film explodes; deathly carnage comes, deathly carnage goes, and the world - as it does in Fargo - resumes its equilibrium in spite of now being a few inhabitants less.

It is worth noting, in light of the title, that Jones is an old man. An aging sheriff about to retire, he responds to a call early in the film; when warned by his wife not to get hurt, his reply is simple: "Never do". It's a telling and convincing line: throughout the film thereafter, he shows the same reluctance to get his hands dirty as Morgan Freeman's Detective Somerset in Seven. Like Fincher's film, this depicts a running relationship between a nearly-retired veteran authority and a young and naive apprentice. And even if Jones's Sheriff Bell has a far less reliable apprentice in the goofy, rather slow Wendell than Somerset does in Brad Pitt's Detective Mills, the relationship between the two, besides offering comic relief in a film full of wince-worthy violence, is fitting. Wendell (Garret Dillahunt) is enthusiastic and dumb, in way over his head as he reports back with glee to his higher-up on their case's progress; Sheriff Bell, meanwhile, knows better. "I laugh myself sometimes," he remarks with resignation at one point. "There ain't a whole lot you can do."

He's right: there's a strong sense of fatalism operating throughout the Coen brothers' latest and most mature film. From early on - no doubt due to the lack of music and the elongated, tense silences - there's a feeling of desperation about this entire story, a narrative from which very few (if any) are going to emerge. A typical take-the-money-and-run narrative is invested with strong characters and complex philosophical ponderings.

The fatalism,for instance - epitomised, perhaps, by Javier Bardem's wonderful turn as Anton Chigurh - is continually undermined, or at least challenged, by a sense of chance. Throughout, it seems, this world is forever in conflict, at the mercy of antagonising forces of determinism and hazard. People make choices in life; sometimes they turn out good, sometimes they turn out bad. When Llewelyn Moss, the film's lowly anti-hero (more of a desperate everyman), chooses to go hunting, he happens across a drug deal gone wrong. He also chooses, by his own responsibility, to take the remaining money and run. True, the satchel has a tracking device on it, and so he and his wife may have been dead sooner than expected anyway, but the fact that he chooses, once again, to return to the scene of the crime in order to bring water to the massacre's sole survivor, turns out, in retrospect, to be the dumbest choice he could have made (he admits as much before hand).

Two key, dialogue-heavy scenes involve Chigurh flipping a coin in order to decide whether or not to kill people. The first, a shop-owner, plays along (and wins) without ever knowing his life's on the line, but the second - a widowed wife who has just buried her mother (and so she's no stranger to death) - decides not to play the game of chance. The implication is as deadly as it is silent.

Fate hasn't the last say, though (and indeed, quite paradoxical, death sometimes comes down an allegorical coin-flip). If Chigurh had left the Moss home any sooner - or indeed later - his car may well have eluded the violent, earth-shattering crash of the penultimate scene. With his elbow protruding from his arm, he soldiers on, desperate to get away... and away he gets, thanks to the hospitality of two neighbouring kids-on-bikes - who, incidentally, may have been casually murdered if it hadn't been for this unexpected collision. This moment, subtle and affecting, mirrors a similar one earlier in the film, in which a bloodied Moss, on the US-Mexico border, encounters drunken youths who are stopped and awestruck by the bloodied man before them. "Hey," one of them asks, "were you in a car crash?" Their greed gets the better of them, and they only give their jacket up once Moss pays them sufficiently. It's a cyclical gesture - he could have easily come across less anal kids than these - say, those who help the film's villain at the end.

But, in fitting with cycles, it is Jones's sheriff that ends the film (and indeed, the subdued climax could be an extension of the opening voice-over). He relates two dreams he's had of his father. The first, he recalls, involved a meeting in town, and his father "was gonna give me some money; I think I lost it". The second is more obscure: his father carries a flaming torch, on his way to "fixin' to make a fire somewhere out there in all that dark and all that cold, and I knew that whenever I got there he would be there". Significantly, before digressing, he reveals that he is now over twenty years older than his father ever was.

Bewildering to some, this short monologue is integral: moments earlier, Bell himself narrowly escapes death at the hands of Chigurh, that always-lingering presence of doom. It wasn't his time to die, some law of determinism (the impossible-to-beat Chigurh?) has made it so. But Bell isn't prepared to get overly confident - Moss did, and he's dead. No: Bell must retire, to give him the fullest chance of survival in a land where survival depends entirely on the fine balance between Hazard and Fate. His time will come.

-----

A goddamn great review, Capo.

And I saw THERE WILL BE BLOOD......a great movie, but NO COUNTRY FOR OLD MEN prevails to win the strap.

Re: No country for old men [Re: ronnierocketAGO] #469254
02/01/08 12:39 PM
02/01/08 12:39 PM
East Bay
Blibbleblabble Offline
Poo-tee-weet?
Blibbleblabble  Offline
Poo-tee-weet?

East Bay
Capo, did you post that on FCM? I couldn't find it.

Re: No country for old men [Re: Blibbleblabble] #469331
02/02/08 03:28 AM
02/02/08 03:28 AM
My own world.
whisper Offline
Underboss
whisper  Offline
Underboss
My own world.
I saw this a week or two ago.I thought the movie was pretty good,but I don't feel it deserves the praise and accolades it's receiving.

The hero and the coward both feel the same thing, but the hero uses his fear, projects it onto his opponent, while the coward runs. It's the same thing, fear, but it's what you do with it that matters. Cus D'Amato
Re: No country for old men [Re: whisper] #469332
02/02/08 03:29 AM
02/02/08 03:29 AM
Existential Well
svsg Offline
Underboss
svsg  Offline
Underboss
Existential Well
Whisper, did you watch There Will Be Blood?

Re: No country for old men [Re: Blibbleblabble] #469350
02/02/08 10:27 AM
02/02/08 10:27 AM
Gateshead, UK

Gateshead, UK
 Originally Posted By: Blibbleblabble
Capo, did you post that on FCM? I couldn't find it.

Have now!

Re: No country for old men [Re: svsg] #469361
02/02/08 11:58 AM
02/02/08 11:58 AM
My own world.
whisper Offline
Underboss
whisper  Offline
Underboss
My own world.
 Originally Posted By: svsg

No i haven't seen it.Should i??

The hero and the coward both feel the same thing, but the hero uses his fear, projects it onto his opponent, while the coward runs. It's the same thing, fear, but it's what you do with it that matters. Cus D'Amato
Re: No country for old men [Re: whisper] #469369
02/02/08 12:23 PM
02/02/08 12:23 PM
Existential Well
svsg Offline
Underboss
svsg  Offline
Underboss
Existential Well
 Originally Posted By: whisper the don from down under
 Originally Posted By: svsg

No i haven't seen it.Should i??

Definitely. It is the best movie this year IMO.

Re: No country for old men [Re: svsg] #469379
02/02/08 02:46 PM
02/02/08 02:46 PM
My own world.
whisper Offline
Underboss
whisper  Offline
Underboss
My own world.
Alright, I'll be sure to check it out,thanks.

Re: No country for old men [Re: whisper] #471719
02/11/08 01:02 PM
02/11/08 01:02 PM
Zaf-the-don Offline OP
Capo di tutti i capi
Zaf-the-don  Offline OP
Capo di tutti i capi
Underboss
IMO the first 1 and half is good until well it explains why its called whats its called. But ultimately 4 out 5 but i think i might need to watch it again.

Re: No country for old men [Re: Capo de La Cosa Nostra] #471724
02/11/08 01:15 PM
02/11/08 01:15 PM
Philadelphia
BDuff Offline
Philadelphia's Consigliere
BDuff  Offline
Philadelphia's Consigliere
Underboss
Philadelphia
 Originally Posted By: Capo de La Cosa Nostra

[SPOILERS WITHIN]

-----

I agree with you completely Capo, though I think There will be Blood is just as good. I don't know which I like more, I guess I'll see each again. \:\)

"When my time comes, tell me, will I stand up?"
Paulie "Walnuts" Gaultiere - The Sopranos

Re: No country for old men [Re: BDuff] #497947
07/06/08 03:13 PM
07/06/08 03:13 PM
Brazil
Tony Mosrite Offline
Underboss
Tony Mosrite  Offline
Underboss
Brazil
as a Coen Brothers long time fan I was absolutely not surprised when I was dragged into this flim's world when I first heard Sheriff Bell's voice until he stopped talking in the last scene. it's overwhelming and astonishingly. once again, they made the kind of movie that you can watch over and over, and everytime there will be something new to wonder or to notice. I myself did watch it the second time a few hours after the first one, into the same night.

by the way, Capo, and here are <<<SPOILERSSPOILERSSPOILERS>>> what Sheriff Bell was doing when he came back to the scrime scene, in the scene you mention late in your review? I mean, what's your interpretation of that sequence with the scene with the other sheriff and this one? Did Sheriff Bell just went there in a mix of curiosity and perplexity to see if anything was going to happen? <<<SPOILERSSPOILERSSPOILERS>>>

"I'm just a humble motherfucker with a big ass dick"
The Bunk
Re: No country for old men [Re: Tony Mosrite] #497948
07/06/08 03:16 PM
07/06/08 03:16 PM
Brazil
Tony Mosrite Offline
Underboss
Tony Mosrite  Offline
Underboss
Brazil
just remembered one more question, and here may be SPOILERS too!

in the beginning of the film, why Anton let himself get caught in the first place? the rest of the film makes you believe he wouldn't get caught like that. or did he wanted to kill a cop and go out in the cop car?

The Bunk
Re: No country for old men [Re: Tony Mosrite] #497959
07/06/08 03:55 PM
07/06/08 03:55 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
I wondered about that, too. I think it was a directorial device: a way to introduce Anton's inhuman, fiendish determination by showing how he got out of the handcuffs, killed the deputy tout-suite, and then whacked a motorist for the sheer sake of whacking him--to say nothing of using that ridiculous air tank as a murder weapon.

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.
Re: No country for old men [Re: Turnbull] #498638
07/09/08 07:49 PM
07/09/08 07:49 PM
24framespersecond Offline
Made Member
24framespersecond  Offline
Made Member
Originally Posted By: Turnbull
I wondered about that, too. I think it was a directorial device: a way to introduce Anton's inhuman, fiendish determination by showing how he got out of the handcuffs, killed the deputy tout-suite, and then whacked a motorist for the sheer sake of whacking him--to say nothing of using that ridiculous air tank as a murder weapon.

It was also in the book. Though, when it comes to the motorist, I think it was to elminiate a witness and not for the sake of whacking him. Sheriff Bell and fellow law enforcement never knew what Chigurh looked like.

Re: No country for old men [Re: Turnbull] #498665
07/10/08 12:20 AM
07/10/08 12:20 AM
East Bay
Blibbleblabble Offline
Poo-tee-weet?
Blibbleblabble  Offline
Poo-tee-weet?

East Bay
Originally Posted By: Turnbull
to say nothing of using that ridiculous air tank as a murder weapon.

Why is it so ridiculous? The confusion it causes the victims makes sense. When the first motorist gets pulled over he obviously believes Chigurh is a police officer and trusts that this ridiculous device is something safe. It doesn't matter that Chigurh was in street clothes and had a strange device. The very act of being pulled over by a police car makes people act differently. It makes total sense to me he'd be able to use that thing to kill him.

Also I'm assuming it wasn't just an air tank. The Sheriff mentions a device used to kill cattle later in the movie that shoots a needle into the head and instantly pulls it back. I assumed that the air tank device was supposed to be similar to what the sheriff described.

Re: No country for old men [Re: Blibbleblabble] #498809
07/10/08 01:37 PM
07/10/08 01:37 PM
Gateshead, UK

Gateshead, UK
Sight & Sound, the BFI's film magazine, said he kills his victims with a cattle gun.

Re: No country for old men [Re: Capo de La Cosa Nostra] #500917
07/20/08 11:57 AM
07/20/08 11:57 AM
Brazil
Tony Mosrite Offline
Underboss
Tony Mosrite  Offline
Underboss
Brazil
from imdb.com

Why was Chigurh arrested at the beginning of the film? Best answer:

ScoobyDoo79 (Sun Feb 10 2008 23:13:10) ~ "In the book it's explained that he killed a man in a barfight and allowed himself to be taken into custody just to see if he could escape."

The Bunk
Re: No country for old men [Re: Tony Mosrite] #530338
01/31/09 12:31 AM
01/31/09 12:31 AM
Brazil
Tony Mosrite Offline
Underboss
Tony Mosrite  Offline
Underboss
Brazil
I've watched this movie another ton of times and it only gets better. as silent as it is, it really leaves no important questions left behind. the dialogue scenes in the ending - Bell with the other sheriff, and then with his cousin - do wrap it all up, or you can shut down your DVD set at the end of the scene when Bell returns to the Desert Sands crime scene in El Paso (right after he notices the "hole in the wall") if you need a more hollywoodish ending. that would be cool too. I thank you on these boards for letting me exercise my english because I only fully appreciate everything in this movie after I turned off the sub titles and catched the "I feel overmatched" - "it ain't nothing new. You can't stop what's coming. It ain't all waiting on you" lines. that's what this movie is about. no wonder 'you can't stop what's coming' was a tagline.

The Bunk
Re: No country for old men [Re: Tony Mosrite] #530381
01/31/09 02:58 PM
01/31/09 02:58 PM
In a van down by the river!
Longneck Offline
Longneck  Offline

In a van down by the river!
Great Movie, not for people who have a problem thinking.

Long as I remember The rain been coming down.
Clouds of Mystery pouring Confusion on the ground.
Good men through the ages, Trying to find the sun;
And I wonder, Still I wonder, Who'll stop the rain.

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull