GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (CleanBandit), 273 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,467
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 23,884
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,512
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,322
Posts1,058,594
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Duvall: Money Was 'Godfather III' Issue #5872
01/07/04 11:50 AM
01/07/04 11:50 AM
Spring, TX
Cross De Lena Offline OP
Made Member
Cross De Lena  Offline OP
Made Member
Spring, TX
I just ran across an article about Duvall's upcoming appearance on 60 Minutes II.
Here are a couple of links:
Associated Press

CBS News

"...And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee."
- Jules' version of Ezekiel 25:17
Re: Duvall: Money Was 'Godfather III' Issue #5873
01/07/04 12:08 PM
01/07/04 12:08 PM
Saddle Brook, NJ
Justin Offline
Made Member
Justin  Offline
Made Member
Saddle Brook, NJ
He was sorely missed in Godfather 3. Whatever he wanted he should have gotten. They could have saved money on Duvall's hair styling expenses rather than what they spent on hairspray for George Hamilton.

Justin
Re: Duvall: Money Was 'Godfather III' Issue #5874
01/07/04 01:43 PM
01/07/04 01:43 PM
T
The Ant Offline
Wiseguy
The Ant  Offline
T
Wiseguy
yeah, i saw this on yahoo... but didn't we know this already?? i thought this was well known.

Re: Duvall: Money Was 'Godfather III' Issue #5875
01/07/04 02:24 PM
01/07/04 02:24 PM
New York
Meggie Offline
Underboss
Meggie  Offline
Underboss
New York
Originally posted by Justin:
He was sorely missed in Godfather 3. Whatever he wanted he should have gotten. They could have saved money on Duvall's hair styling expenses rather than what they spent on hairspray for George Hamilton.
That is so funny!!!! lol

LA BELLA MAFIA
Re: Duvall: Money Was 'Godfather III' Issue #5876
01/07/04 04:07 PM
01/07/04 04:07 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
Originally posted by Justin:
"Sorely missed"--oh, how sorely. Then again, the Melanoma Poster Boy got a few days' work in his place. mad

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.
Re: Duvall: Money Was 'Godfather III' Issue #5877
01/07/04 06:13 PM
01/07/04 06:13 PM
Spring, TX
Cross De Lena Offline OP
Made Member
Cross De Lena  Offline OP
Made Member
Spring, TX
originally posted by The Ant
yeah, i saw this on yahoo... but didn't we know this already?? i thought this was well known.
Yeah - we all knew this already, but I thought it was interesting to see that Duvall has no problem laying it out like that. I'll watch the 60 Minutes II airing just to hear his tone of voice. I wonder if he's angry or just jokes about it.

"...And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee."
- Jules' version of Ezekiel 25:17
Re: Duvall: Money Was 'Godfather III' Issue #5878
01/11/04 11:05 AM
01/11/04 11:05 AM
Chilltown Offline
Made Member
Chilltown  Offline
Made Member
he should be ashamed by this-he basically said it was all about money and prestige/ranking-what happened to working for the art of acting. it isnt as if he doesnt have enough money. so he has to go on TV, 15 years later mind you, to air dirty laundry out for everyone to see. you know what though, i don't even like him as an actor, never have, and i still think that putting his money towards Bridget Fonda and George Hamilton was a smart marketing move. Get a life Duvall, no one cares about your selfish ways.

Re: Duvall: Money Was 'Godfather III' Issue #5879
01/11/04 11:57 AM
01/11/04 11:57 AM
New York
SC Offline
Consigliere
SC  Offline
Consigliere

New York
Originally posted by Chilltown:
he should be ashamed by this-he basically said it was all about money and prestige/ranking-what happened to working for the art of acting.
Using that argument, can't you say the same thing about Coppola? Why didn't he just make the movie for the sake of art?

you know what though, i don't even like him as an actor, never have, and i still think that putting his money towards Bridget Fonda and George Hamilton was a smart marketing move.
Duvall, IMO, is one of the best actors of the generation; he has tons of great performances.

Bridget Fonda and George Hamilton did absolutely nothing for the movie, except perhaps to make it worse than it already was.

Re: Duvall: Money Was 'Godfather III' Issue #5880
01/12/04 09:30 AM
01/12/04 09:30 AM
New Jersey
AppleOnYa Offline
AppleOnYa  Offline

New Jersey
...i still think that putting his money towards Bridget Fonda and George Hamilton was a smart marketing move. Get a life Duvall, no one cares about your selfish ways.
lol

Smart marketing move...and we can see the impact it made on the film and how they made us completely forget about Duvall and his character, Tom Hagen!

Let's remember also that by the time GFIII was made, Duvall had become an Academy Award winner, had starred in an acclaimed miniseries Lonesome Dove...and was now a major star in his own right, far beyond the supporting status he held in The Godfather and GFII. In terms of salary he deserved a little more respect from FFC, and not settling for what was offered was the smartest thing he could've done. Ultimately Duvall didn't need GFIII...but it sure needed him and didn't get him because $$$ won out over the "art of acting". It's common concensus that the film suffered due to his absence and GOOD for him for airing it out and getting the last laugh.

Incidentally Robert Duvall has consistently been one of the FINEST and most versatile character actors around for over 40 years. His star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame last year was well deserved and a couple of years late in my opinion.

Regards,
AppleOnYa

A wise and frugal government, which shall leave men free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned - this is the sum of good government.

- THOMAS JEFFERSON

Re: Duvall: Money Was 'Godfather III' Issue #5881
01/12/04 12:15 PM
01/12/04 12:15 PM
New York
Meggie Offline
Underboss
Meggie  Offline
Underboss
New York
Originally posted by AppleOnYa:
[b] ...i still think that putting his money towards Bridget Fonda and George Hamilton was a smart marketing move. Get a life Duvall, no one cares about your selfish ways.
lol

Smart marketing move...and we can see the impact it made on the film and how they made us completely forget about Duvall and his character, Tom Hagen!

Let's remember also that by the time GFIII was made, Duvall had become an Academy Award winner, had starred in an acclaimed miniseries Lonesome Dove...and was now a major star in his own right, far beyond the supporting status he held in The Godfather and GFII. In terms of salary he deserved a little more respect from FFC, and not settling for what was offered was the smartest thing he could've done. Ultimately Duvall didn't need GFIII...but it sure needed him and didn't get him because $$$ won out over the "art of acting". It's common concensus that the film suffered due to his absence and GOOD for him for airing it out and getting the last laugh.

Incidentally Robert Duvall has consistently been one of the FINEST and most versatile character actors around for over 40 years. His star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame last year was well deserved and a couple of years late in my opinion.

Regards,
AppleOnYa [/b]
Duval is a fine actor, and if he chose not to be in GFIII that was his choice. Personally, I think it was "the smart move.." wink

LA BELLA MAFIA
Re: Duvall: Money Was 'Godfather III' Issue #5882
01/13/04 01:28 PM
01/13/04 01:28 PM
Chilltown Offline
Made Member
Chilltown  Offline
Made Member
i consider it a smart marketing move because like it or not, much of GF III's marketing potential was surrounded by controversy-Sofia in particular. At the time Fonda was a hot up and comer and Hamilton was a decent sized name-you must remember that at this time i'm sure they were still trying to lay groundwork for a Fourth film and they needed to establish possible characters. Not to be disrespectful, but Duvall is getting up there in age, and besides the character, no matter how it was rewritten for Hamilton, didn't warrant that much money. Whether people percieved this movie to be good or not was subjective to the person, but good or bad, Paramount had people talking incessantly about this picture. I would also like to note that if a Part IV is ever made, expect Fonda and Hamilton to have large parts.

Re: Duvall: Money Was 'Godfather III' Issue #5883
01/13/04 02:00 PM
01/13/04 02:00 PM
New Jersey
AppleOnYa Offline
AppleOnYa  Offline

New Jersey
...Not to be disrespectful, but Duvall is getting up there in age, and besides the character, no matter how it was rewritten for Hamilton, didn't warrant that much money.
You're obviously thinking in PRE-GFIII terms and not those of today, looking back at the quality and success of the film. At the time, Duvall was 12 years younger than he is now and his character would have aged in the same way everyone's did. Time has proven that the inclusion of Tom Hagen in the story WOULD have warranted that much money.
As re-written for Hamilton, they probably spent more than the should've.

...Whether people percieved this movie to be good or not was subjective to the person, but good or bad, Paramount had people talking incessantly about this picture.
The Godfather Part III was so long awaited and eagerly anticipated that Paramount would have had to do very little to have fans of the first two talking incessantly about it. And had they thought a little more about the artistic side and NOT the marketing then a better picture may have resulted. [/QB][/QUOTE]

...I would also like to note that if a Part IV is ever made, expect Fonda and Hamilton to have large parts.
lol

If you say so...let them! Because anyone associated with the REAL classics will have the brains to stay far away from have any part of it.

(Incidentally, Hamilton has proven durable & pleasant as a celebrity and pops up every few years just for laughs...but talented as she is and despite a promising early career, I haven't seen much of interest from Ms. Fonda over the past 10 years.)

Yep...REAL smart marketing move on Paramount's part.

AppleOnYa

A wise and frugal government, which shall leave men free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned - this is the sum of good government.

- THOMAS JEFFERSON

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull