GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 86 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,758
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,286
Hollander 24,303
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,528
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,410
Posts1,060,403
Members10,349
Most Online911
May 23rd, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
observation #29428
06/03/05 01:20 PM
06/03/05 01:20 PM
new york
M
marco Offline OP
Wiseguy
marco  Offline OP
M
Wiseguy
new york
I'm sure we would all agree that we love to watch the godfather movies over and over again because every time we do, we realize new things about them that allow us to have a better appreciation of the films. I think, however, that there are certain things that are in the films that are suppose to shock/suprise us and are geared towards the person watching the movies for the first time (sonny's death for example) I was thinking about one such example and I feel that neither the first time viewer nor someone watching it again get the full effect of the scene. That scene is when we find out that Frankie is alive. The way i see it, this scene is designed to shock the viewer. We are supposed to think that Frankie is dead and then just we hear that the Senate commitee is going to bring a witness to contradict Michael's testimony and were thinking who are they possibly going to get, they cut to scene of frankie with the fbi guys. I think that this is meant to be an unexpected plot twist. It was not, at least for me as a first time viewer because I feel the plot of GF2 is too complicated to fully understand the first time you see it. You don't know who actually tried to kill Michael or who Michael thinks tried to kill him or who was trying to kill frankie (michael corleone says hello) or if frankie is really dead (you see him partially alive at the end of the scene with the rosato brothers) so when see him later you just like oh there he is again, but you dont fully appreciate the scene. Does anyone have any thoughts about this, or any other examples in which we may not fully appreciate a certain scene?

Re: observation #29429
06/03/05 01:54 PM
06/03/05 01:54 PM
New Market, MD
DeathByClotheshanger Offline
Underboss
DeathByClotheshanger  Offline
Underboss
New Market, MD
We see that Frankie was still alive after the failed garroting scene. I think if they lead you to believe that he was dead and then all the sudden showed up at the Senate hearings, it would feel like a cheap ploy to shock the viewer. It would be like a soap opera bringing back a long dead character just because they didn't have anything else to do.

Re: observation #29430
06/03/05 02:02 PM
06/03/05 02:02 PM
New Jersey
AppleOnYa Offline
AppleOnYa  Offline

New Jersey
I don't think the reappearance of Frankie during the Senate hearings is meant to shock the viewer. If anything, I would expect an '...oh, so there's Frankie I wondered what happened to him...' reaction. Especially after that last shot of him exhausted and scared after the failed garroting.

If any shock factor is involved, it's more that he's about to testify against Michael Corleone...which is actually explained very quickly in the following scene, where Tom explains to Michael (and us) what happened to Frankie...just before Michael goes to talk to Fredo.

However, I wouldn't even use 'shock' as quite the right word. For all of this is a buildup to the intense drama of the boathouse conversation between Mike & Fredo...one which sometimes even leaves THIS billionth time viewer in stunned silence by the time it is over.

Apple

A wise and frugal government, which shall leave men free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned - this is the sum of good government.

- THOMAS JEFFERSON

Re: observation #29431
06/03/05 02:07 PM
06/03/05 02:07 PM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club
I was more surprised when I saw Willie Cicci testifying at the hearings than Pentangelli. It is pretty obvious that Frankie is going to turn, especially after the " Michael Corleone says hello " line. Then of course Tom confirms this for the viewer. But as far as Cicci, well, we see him in a gunfight outside the bar and then see him go down in it. The next thing we see of him is that he is testifying at the hearing! That was definately more of a surprise, at least to me, than Frankie testifying.

Don Cardi cool

Don Cardi cool

Five - ten years from now, they're gonna wish there was American Cosa Nostra. Five - ten years from now, they're gonna miss John Gotti.

Re: observation #29432
06/14/05 02:57 PM
06/14/05 02:57 PM
With Geary in Fredo's Brothel
dontomasso Offline
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline
Consigliere to the Stars

With Geary in Fredo's Brothel
IMO it is not surprising they brought Willie Cicci in as they did. His testimony did not directly implicate Michael Corleone. He had obviously pled out to somekind of deal because he freely admitted that he was a "button." The most he could say is the family had a lot of buffers. Then came Michael who said he never ordered any deaths, and the trap was set...Pentangeli would refute this, and presumably testify that he was the "buffer" between Michael and Cicci.

I could be wrong about this but wasnt it Sen Geary who asked the "buffer" question, and if so, could he have been playing both sides with that question?

"Io sono stanco, sono imbigliato, and I wan't everyone here to know, there ain't gonna be no trouble from me..Don Corleone..Cicc' a port!"

"I stood in the courtroom like a fool."

"I am Constanza: Lord of the idiots."

Re: observation #29433
06/14/05 08:00 PM
06/14/05 08:00 PM
Jimmy Buffer Offline
Underboss
Jimmy Buffer  Offline
Underboss
i also was more surprised to see cicci than pentangelli. i think what don cardi meant, and i agree with, is it's not really surprising that the government made a deal with cicci to testify, it's just surprising that he is still alive to testify. we actually see pentangelli sitting there muttering to himself after his meeting with the rosatos, so we know he's alive. but like don cardi said, all we see of cicci is him getting shot then run over by a car. i, along with most others i would guess, just assume that cicci is dead. then, later in the film, there he is all of a sudden testifying at the senate hearings.

There is no theory of evolution. Just a list of creatures Chuck Norris has allowed to live.

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull