GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 81 guests, and 11 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,657
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 24,184
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,518
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,389
Posts1,059,898
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
WHAT DID MAMA CORLEONE KNOW? #29379
06/02/05 04:09 PM
06/02/05 04:09 PM
With Geary in Fredo's Brothel
dontomasso Offline OP
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline OP
Consigliere to the Stars

There is no question that Mama Corleone would have never asked Vito about "his business," and there is probably no question that Vito would never have come out and said anything to her about what he did. It is very clear that there was a very deep and abiding love between Vito and his wife. Look at the wonderful "pear scene" where she intuitively understands that Vito is making the best of a bad situation, and in his way, protecting her. Look also at the scene at the vaudeville show where Vito tells Genco that he never looks at other women, only his wife....not to mention his admonisment to Sonny.

The upshot of all this is that Mama Corleone was close enough to Vito to intuit what he was doing. After all they went from poverty to enormous wealth, and there is no doubt that along the way she heard a gunshot or two, and pretty much knew, and accepted what was going on.

To put a reverse spin on what Maureen Dowd once said, I see her as the "Barbara Bush" of the Corleone family. That is, subservient while the cameras are rolling, but very much a power when they are shut off (note also the enormous respect Mike had for her).

"Io sono stanco, sono imbigliato, and I wan't everyone here to know, there ain't gonna be no trouble from me..Don Corleone..Cicc' a port!"

"I stood in the courtroom like a fool."

"I am Constanza: Lord of the idiots."

Re: WHAT DID MAMA CORLEONE KNOW? #29380
06/02/05 04:16 PM
06/02/05 04:16 PM
NY
Darulerric Offline
Made Member
Darulerric  Offline
Made Member
NY
Originally posted by dontomasso:
There is no question that Mama Corleone would have never asked Vito about "his business," and there is probably no question that Vito would never have come out and said anything to her about what he did. It is very clear that there was a very deep and abiding love between Vito and his wife. Look at the wonderful "pear scene" where she intuitively understands that Vito is making the best of a bad situation, and in his way, protecting her. Look also at the scene at the vaudeville show where Vito tells Genco that he never looks at other women, only his wife....not to mention his admonisment to Sonny.

The upshot of all this is that Mama Corleone was close enough to Vito to intuit what he was doing. After all they went from poverty to enormous wealth, and there is no doubt that along the way she heard a gunshot or two, and pretty much knew, and accepted what was going on.

To put a reverse spin on what Maureen Dowd once said, I see her as the "Barbara Bush" of the Corleone family. That is, subservient while the cameras are rolling, but very much a power when they are shut off (note also the enormous respect Mike had for her).
yea i agree she probly knew a well amount of things that went on. I remember a scene, i dont recall if it was in the book or deleted or both but when sonny goes to tell mama about the news about vito being shot, before he mentions wat happened and just tells her something is wrong she says "Did they kill my husband" and did this while remaining calm while most Wives would not

Re: WHAT DID MAMA CORLEONE KNOW? #29381
06/02/05 04:26 PM
06/02/05 04:26 PM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club
There is also another scene in the movie where, I think Michael asks Sonny how Mama is taking this ( Vito being shot ) and Sonny says something to the effect that " she's been through it before."

Mama obviously knew what her husband did for a living. She definately knew that he was a powerful Mafia Don. We even see her go to him to ask for his assistance with her friend Mrs. Columbo with the landlord situation. So right there she had to know that her husbnd was somewhat of an influential and powerful man. But she didn't know what the exact details of his business affairs were, nor would an old fashioned woman, born in that era, ever ask! All she knew was that her husband was a good husband and father, and that he provided for his family.

Don Cardi cool

Don Cardi cool

Five - ten years from now, they're gonna wish there was American Cosa Nostra. Five - ten years from now, they're gonna miss John Gotti.

Re: WHAT DID MAMA CORLEONE KNOW? #29382
06/02/05 05:02 PM
06/02/05 05:02 PM
Milky Way
Enzo Scifo Offline
Underboss
Enzo Scifo  Offline
Underboss
Milky Way
There is also another scene in the movie where, I think Michael asks Sonny how Mama is taking this ( Vito being shot ) and Sonny says something to the effect that " she's been through it before."
Oh yeah, in the novel, Vito was shot in the 30's, in the last great war before the one Solozzo started. That should be in GF IV.
Anyway, she must've known, but as a traditional Sicilian family, she would've never asked. She was happy they didn't have to live in poverty.

See, we can act as smart as we want, but at the end of the day, we still follow a guy who fucks himself with kebab skewers.
Re: WHAT DID MAMA CORLEONE KNOW? #29383
06/02/05 06:42 PM
06/02/05 06:42 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
Okay. So, since she knew, does Mama Corleone go to hell along with the rest of the family?

"Generosity. That was my first mistake."
"Experience must be our only guide; reason may mislead us."
"Instagram is Twitter for people who can't read."
Re: WHAT DID MAMA CORLEONE KNOW? #29384
06/02/05 06:46 PM
06/02/05 06:46 PM
NY
Darulerric Offline
Made Member
Darulerric  Offline
Made Member
NY
Originally posted by olivant:
Okay. So, since she knew, does Mama Corleone go to hell along with the rest of the family?
Micheal didnt go to hell, remember he confessed his sins and was forgiven

Re: WHAT DID MAMA CORLEONE KNOW? #29385
06/02/05 09:04 PM
06/02/05 09:04 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
He confessed his sins to that point in time. He was still complicit in the murders of the Bishop, Luchese, Altobello, et al after that confession. Mortal sins by any stretch and a sure ticket to the infernal regions.

Re: WHAT DID MAMA CORLEONE KNOW? #29386
06/02/05 09:17 PM
06/02/05 09:17 PM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club
Ok guys, let's not lose sight of the fact that this is only a movie! To start debating if so and so went to hell and so and so didn't is a little over the top for me. Hey, then again that's me, but maybe you guys are on to something here! Instead of a Godfather 4, maybe they'll do THE GODFATHER AFTERLIFE wink

Don Cardi cool

Don Cardi cool

Five - ten years from now, they're gonna wish there was American Cosa Nostra. Five - ten years from now, they're gonna miss John Gotti.

Re: WHAT DID MAMA CORLEONE KNOW? #29387
06/02/05 09:31 PM
06/02/05 09:31 PM
Little Chicago
Tony Love Offline
Underboss
Tony Love  Offline
Underboss
Little Chicago
The Godfather afterlife is already known to some extent. Michael went on to become the Devil, or as most people addressed him as "Milton". He finally faces the fact that incest is OK (despite what he previously told Mary and Vincent) and even encourages his new son/heir to screw his new daughter to keep the family alive. orange

"Any American who is prepared to run for president should automatically, by definition, be disqualified from ever doing so"-Gore Vidal
"Conformity is the jailer of freedom and enemy of growth"-John Fitzgerald Kennedy
"The reason the mainstream is thought of as a stream is because of its shallowness"-George Carlin
Re: WHAT DID MAMA CORLEONE KNOW? #29388
06/02/05 09:53 PM
06/02/05 09:53 PM
DonMichaelCorleone Offline
DonMichaelCorleone  Offline

Originally posted by Don Cardi:
Ok guys, let's not lose sight of the fact that this is only a movie! To start debating if so and so went to hell and so and so didn't is a little over the top for me. Hey, then again that's me, but maybe you guys are on to something here! Instead of a Godfather 4, maybe they'll do [b]THE GODFATHER AFTERLIFE wink

Don Cardi cool [/b]
Corleones don't die, they just go to hell to regroup!

"You gave your word, I never gave mine"
http://s2.gladiatus.us/game/c.php?uid=88380
Re: WHAT DID MAMA CORLEONE KNOW? #29389
06/02/05 09:57 PM
06/02/05 09:57 PM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club
Originally posted by Tony Love:
The Godfather afterlife is already known to some extent. Michael went on to become the Devil, or as most people addressed him as "Milton". He finally faces the fact that incest is OK (despite what he previously told Mary and Vincent) and even encourages his new son/heir to screw his new daughter to keep the family alive. orange
WOW! What a tremendously insightful post! Amazing! I don't know that I've ever seen such a well written and educating post such as this one in all my time here on the boards!

Don Cardi cool

Don Cardi cool

Re: WHAT DID MAMA CORLEONE KNOW? #29390
06/03/05 01:12 AM
06/03/05 01:12 AM
Existential Well
svsg Offline
Underboss
svsg  Offline
Underboss
Existential Well
Originally posted by Tony Love:
[b] The Godfather afterlife is already known to some extent. Michael went on to become the Devil, or as most people addressed him as "Milton". He finally faces the fact that incest is OK (despite what he previously told Mary and Vincent) and even encourages his new son/heir to screw his new daughter to keep the family alive. orange
WOW! What a tremendously insightful post! Amazing! I don't know that I've ever seen such a well written and educating post such as this one in all my time here on the boards!

Don Cardi cool [/b]
DC, that was a reference to the movie "Devil's Advocate" cool

Re: WHAT DID MAMA CORLEONE KNOW? #29391
06/03/05 11:17 AM
06/03/05 11:17 AM
dontomasso Offline OP
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline OP
Consigliere to the Stars

I don't know about the corleones, but this thread sure went to hell in a handbasket!

"Io sono stanco, sono imbigliato, and I wan't everyone here to know, there ain't gonna be no trouble from me..Don Corleone..Cicc' a port!"

Re: WHAT DID MAMA CORLEONE KNOW? #29392
06/03/05 11:55 AM
06/03/05 11:55 AM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
I don't know about the corleones, but this thread sure went to hell in a handbasket!
lol
In the novel, Mama goes to Mass every day. She tells Kay that she prays that Vito's soul "don't go down there," The novel ends with Kay taking instruction in the Catholic Church so she can join Mama at Mass and pray for Michael's soul. There's a deleted scene on the DVD set that shows this.

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.
Re: WHAT DID MAMA CORLEONE KNOW? #29393
06/03/05 12:29 PM
06/03/05 12:29 PM
dontomasso Offline OP
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline OP
Consigliere to the Stars

Originally posted by Turnbull:
[b] I don't know about the corleones, but this thread sure went to hell in a handbasket!
lol
In the novel, Mama goes to Mass every day. She tells Kay that she prays that Vito's soul "don't go down there," The novel ends with Kay taking instruction in the Catholic Church so she can join Mama at Mass and pray for Michael's soul. There's a deleted scene on the DVD set that shows this. [/b]
Turnbull strikes again, and as usual on the money. The whole ending of GF the Novel seems to have Kay drinking more and praying a lot more, and sor of surrendering herself to the religion of the family. That would be a very different Kay than we see in GF2 having an abortion of all things!

Mama believed that her prayers would be enough to save Vito. And in fact there is no reason to believe that Vito, like Michael, repented his "sins" if he even believed they were sins before he died.

Wasn't it Mama who was bossing Sonny around a bit when Sonny was the don, like telling him not to interfere in the Carlo Connie marriage (so if Sonny had obeyed his mother he'd be alive!) and not to discuss business at the table?

Re: WHAT DID MAMA CORLEONE KNOW? #29394
06/03/05 12:51 PM
06/03/05 12:51 PM
Existential Well
svsg Offline
Underboss
svsg  Offline
Underboss
Existential Well
Wasn't it Mama who was bossing Sonny around a bit when Sonny was the don, like telling him not to interfere in the Carlo Connie marriage (so if Sonny had obeyed his mother he'd be alive!) and not to discuss business at the table?
Mama had that kind of respect because she did not interfere in the family business. At the same time she was aware of what was happening. That was the difference between mama and kay, and the reason why michael approached her for advice.

Re: WHAT DID MAMA CORLEONE KNOW? #29395
06/03/05 01:34 PM
06/03/05 01:34 PM
Oslo, Norway
Al.Neri Offline
Made Member
Al.Neri  Offline
Made Member
Oslo, Norway
I remember in the novel she was the one who dragged Signora Colombo to Vito and wanted him to help her.

My impression of her is a headstrong and tough woman, with respect for Vito's business.

Do you know who I am? I'm Moe Greene! I made my bones when you were going out with cheerleaders!
Re: WHAT DID MAMA CORLEONE KNOW? #29396
06/03/05 01:49 PM
06/03/05 01:49 PM
TheSicilian123 Offline
Underboss
TheSicilian123  Offline
Underboss
I remember in the book somewhere where it states something about her not asking...

"He was surprised. His wife had never questioned him about the clothe he had washed the night he had murdered Fanucci. Had never asked him where all the money came from when he was not working. Even now her face was impassive."
page 207

If you had any fucking heart at all you'd be out stealin'! Joe Pecsi
Turn that thing off! You should be out stealing! Lefty
You put up and shut up, you hear nothing you say nothing! Just like you did for Bugsy! -Noodles
Re: WHAT DID MAMA CORLEONE KNOW? #29397
06/03/05 10:49 PM
06/03/05 10:49 PM
S
sicaollgeto Offline
Associate
sicaollgeto  Offline
S
Associate
Wait...so Keanue Reeves is a Corleone???

Re: WHAT DID MAMA CORLEONE KNOW? #29398
06/04/05 11:17 PM
06/04/05 11:17 PM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club
Originally posted by Al.Neri:
I remember in the novel she was the one who dragged Signora Colombo to Vito and wanted him to help her.
Hello? wink Exactly what I said several posts above.
lol
Here it is again:
Mama obviously knew what her husband did for a living. She definately knew that he was a powerful Mafia Don. We even see her go to him to ask for his assistance with her friend Mrs. Columbo with the landlord situation. So right there she had to know that her husbnd was somewhat of an influential and powerful man.
Don Cardi cool

Don Cardi cool

Re: WHAT DID MAMA CORLEONE KNOW? #29399
06/05/05 12:05 PM
06/05/05 12:05 PM
Oslo, Norway
Al.Neri Offline
Made Member
Al.Neri  Offline
Made Member
Oslo, Norway
Sorry, DC wink

Do you know who I am? I'm Moe Greene! I made my bones when you were going out with cheerleaders!
Re: WHAT DID MAMA CORLEONE KNOW? #29400
06/05/05 02:37 PM
06/05/05 02:37 PM
Milky Way
Enzo Scifo Offline
Underboss
Enzo Scifo  Offline
Underboss
Milky Way
What a shame, Al.Neri!
You're nothing to me now, not a friend, not a fellow Gangster BB-member.
You broke my heart, you broke my heart!

*Kiss of Death to Al.Neri*

See, we can act as smart as we want, but at the end of the day, we still follow a guy who fucks himself with kebab skewers.
Re: WHAT DID MAMA CORLEONE KNOW? #29401
06/05/05 05:16 PM
06/05/05 05:16 PM
Oslo, Norway
Al.Neri Offline
Made Member
Al.Neri  Offline
Made Member
Oslo, Norway
One thing is for sure. I won't be taking no fishing trips in the nearest future. wink

Re: WHAT DID MAMA CORLEONE KNOW? #29402
06/05/05 05:54 PM
06/05/05 05:54 PM
DonMichaelCorleone Offline
DonMichaelCorleone  Offline

Mama obviously knew what her husband did for a living. She definately knew that he was a powerful Mafia Don. We even see her go to him to ask for his assistance with her friend Mrs. Columbo with the landlord situation. So right there she had to know that her husbnd was somewhat of an influential and powerful man. But she didn't know what the exact details of his business affairs were, nor would an old fashioned woman, born in that era, ever ask! All she knew was that her husband was a good husband and father, and that he provided for his family.

Don Cardi cool
DC I'm going to have to slightly disagree with you on this topic. **I have not read the novel yet** but, in the time period that this is going on weren't women still though of as "below" men. Isn't it not until the 40's that women start to rise to the same level as men? (I could be off here so if I am correct me) So couldn't Mama Corleone simply be asking her husband to talk to the landlord man to man, on an even playing field rather than having mrs. Columbo who wasn't on his level try and deal with him?

Just a thought.

"You gave your word, I never gave mine"
http://s2.gladiatus.us/game/c.php?uid=88380
Re: WHAT DID MAMA CORLEONE KNOW? #29403
06/05/05 08:04 PM
06/05/05 08:04 PM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club
Originally posted by Al.Neri:
Sorry, DC wink
No apology necessary! You were just confirming what I said earlier! wink

And while you may be nothing now to Enzo, you are still a Padrone to me! lol

Don Cardi cool

Don Cardi cool

Re: WHAT DID MAMA CORLEONE KNOW? #29404
06/05/05 08:17 PM
06/05/05 08:17 PM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club
Originally posted by DonMichaelCorleone:
DC I'm going to have to slightly disagree with you on this topic. **I have not read the novel yet** but, in the time period that this is going on weren't women still though of as "below" men. Isn't it not until the 40's that women start to rise to the same level as men? (I could be off here so if I am correct me) So couldn't Mama Corleone simply be asking her husband to talk to the landlord man to man, on an even playing field rather than having mrs. Columbo who wasn't on his level try and deal with him?

Just a thought.
Hmmm, I see your pont DMC, but I just don't think that Mama was that blind. Yes, it is true that woman were kept in the dark back in those days, but Mama Corleone wasn't in the pitch dark. She had to see that her hsuband went from being a laid off grocery worker to a well respected and feared man in his community. A man who overnight was running an Olive Oil importing business. I believe that in the novel it says something about the word getting around the neighborhood that Vito was no longer a man to be taken lightly. Surely Mrs. Columbo had heard these "rumors" and therefore went to Mama for intercession from Vito. And surely Mama heard these "rumors" of her husband's new reputation, but as you said yourself, because of the times, she would never step over the line and ask her husband what he really did for a living. And to go a bit further, when Vito was shot the first time ( in the book ), Mama had to see what was going on around her, the bodyguards, the news of the street wars going on, etc. She had to put two and two together and know what her husband was involved in.

As for your slightly disagreeing with me, well I'm only going to tell you this once ; "Don't ever take sides with anyone against the family ever again!" Otherwise I just might have to send you on a fishing trip with Don Smitty! wink grin lol

Don Cardi cool

Don Cardi cool

Re: WHAT DID MAMA CORLEONE KNOW? #29405
06/05/05 09:59 PM
06/05/05 09:59 PM
home of the wildcats, kentucky
belle Offline
Wiseguy
belle  Offline
Wiseguy
home of the wildcats, kentucky
Whoever began this line of questioning needs to read the book. In it Puzo talks about how even Kay rolleyes can see that Michael is a very powerfull man who has people coming to the house asking favors and the like. So if Kay can figure it out I sure a clever Sicilian Nonna knows what is going down. And she would never pretend that she did not know what she was getting into unlike you know who.

Winegardner sleeps with the fishes.
Re: WHAT DID MAMA CORLEONE KNOW? #29406
06/16/05 11:22 AM
06/16/05 11:22 AM
dontomasso Offline OP
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline OP
Consigliere to the Stars

Belle, I DID read the book. I raised the issue to get thr thoughts of others on how Mama Corleone handled things. As for Kay rolleyes you nailed it. And as I have said on other posts, for as much complaining as Kay did, I never heard her whining about her extravagant lifestyle.

Re: WHAT DID MAMA CORLEONE KNOW? #29407
07/06/05 10:01 PM
07/06/05 10:01 PM
New Hampshire
Santino's Girl Offline
Wiseguy
Santino's Girl  Offline
Wiseguy
New Hampshire
I think Mama knew way more than she ever let on. And my money says she's the one that started the "we don't discuss business at the table" rule.

Leave the gun. Take the cannoli.
Re: WHAT DID MAMA CORLEONE KNOW? #29408
07/06/05 10:41 PM
07/06/05 10:41 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
There is a deleted scene that has Mama Corleone wearing a t-shirt that says "My husband can beat up your husband ... or have someone do it."

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull