GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 333 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,491
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 23,925
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,512
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,334
Posts1,058,830
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
"Cane" and GF Trilogy #447776
11/02/07 02:06 PM
11/02/07 02:06 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline OP
Turnbull  Offline OP

AZ
Anyone watching "Cane," a new series on CBS? This is a pretty good drama with strong parallels to the GF Trilogy:

The Duque family are Cuban emigres in South Florida who run a high-end rum business. The patriarch, Pancho Duque (Hector Elizondo) has cancer and turns the business over to his son-in-law, Alex Vega (Jimmy Smits). Alex, looking to the future, wants to sell the family's cane output to make ethanol. This move is resented by Pancho's passed-over son Frank (Nestor Carbonell), who falls into a honey-trap sprung by the daughter of a ruthless rival cane-baron (Polly Walker, who played Octavian's mother on "Rome"). Pancho's mother (Rita Moreno) hovers in the background.

Alex seems like a solid, family-oriented guy. But like Michael Corleone, he takes illegitimate short-cuts to maintain his family's "legitimacy." After the rival family hires a Cuban thug to menace the family by showing up at various public functions in proximity to them, Alex arranges for one of his workers to whack him. He gets away with it. But then his younger brother opens a nightclub with backing from a shady Russian drug dealer. The Russkies use his club to sell X. When the brother protests, the Russkies beat him to a pulp and sic a pit bull on him. Alex, to avenge the family, goes to a Cuban padrino and tells him, "I need your services." The padrino arranges for the Russkies to be whacked. Then Alex says, "I am in your debt." The padrino replies, "Now we do each other favors." You can see where this is going--and what it's modeled on.

"Cane" is a product for commercial broadcast TV, and it has the usual script shortcuts and lack of subtleties. The number of commercials would make you pray for a DVR if you didn't have one. But the cast is excellent, the acting is very solid, the production is lavish, and the script moves right along.

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.
Re: "Cane" and GF Trilogy [Re: Turnbull] #447812
11/02/07 04:10 PM
11/02/07 04:10 PM
In a van down by the river!
Longneck Offline
Longneck  Offline

In a van down by the river!
I've watched it and thought the same thing, Genco Olive Oil, etc...

I record it on my DVR for when nothing else is on

Long as I remember The rain been coming down.
Clouds of Mystery pouring Confusion on the ground.
Good men through the ages, Trying to find the sun;
And I wonder, Still I wonder, Who'll stop the rain.

Re: "Cane" and GF Trilogy [Re: Longneck] #447813
11/02/07 04:13 PM
11/02/07 04:13 PM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club
I'll have to check it out TB. Thanks.

Don Cardi cool

Five - ten years from now, they're gonna wish there was American Cosa Nostra. Five - ten years from now, they're gonna miss John Gotti.

Re: "Cane" and GF Trilogy [Re: Don Cardi] #447821
11/02/07 04:47 PM
11/02/07 04:47 PM
New York
Sicilian Babe Offline
Sicilian Babe  Offline

New York
TB, It's one of the few new shows that I've watched. I've not been all that impressed by some of the storylines, but, like you, am impressed with the cast. I love the interaction between Hector Elizondo and Rita Moreno, and have been a huge Jimmy Smits since his LA Law days.

President Emeritus of the Neal Pulcawer Fan Club
Re: "Cane" and GF Trilogy [Re: Sicilian Babe] #447826
11/02/07 06:27 PM
11/02/07 06:27 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline OP
Turnbull  Offline OP

AZ
 Originally Posted By: Sicilian Babe
...and have been a huge Jimmy Smits since his LA Law days.

I liked him in NYPD Blue. He grew up in the same housing project in Brooklyn (Linden Houses) that my family lived in, and graduated from Jefferson High, as did I, my wife and my parents.

Re: "Cane" and GF Trilogy [Re: Turnbull] #449829
11/12/07 11:23 PM
11/12/07 11:23 PM
Toni_corleone Offline
War-time Consigliere
Toni_corleone  Offline
War-time Consigliere
Capo
I started watching this show on the CBS website after I heard more about it and I have to say I'm hooked. I really like how they've done it and it does almost seem like a Cuban Godfather to me lol. Although I don't like how the Joe Samuels son just disappeared after the first episode and they make no further mention about him.

Brucia la luna n'cielu
E ju bruciu d'amuri
Focu ca si consuma
Comu lu me cori

check out my new site
http://s3.invisionfree.com/This_Thing_of_Ours_2/
Re: "Cane" and GF Trilogy [Re: Toni_corleone] #449885
11/13/07 07:51 AM
11/13/07 07:51 AM
Newcastle-upon-Tyne UK
Yogi Barrabbas Offline
Yogi Barrabbas  Offline

Newcastle-upon-Tyne UK
Hopefully this show will wind its way over to the UK sometime in the next decade or so \:\)

I would rather die on my feet than live on my knees!
Re: "Cane" and GF Trilogy [Re: Turnbull] #450066
11/13/07 06:45 PM
11/13/07 06:45 PM
UK, Little old Rotherham near ...
Zaf-the-don Offline
Capo di tutti i capi
Zaf-the-don  Offline
Capo di tutti i capi
Underboss
UK, Little old Rotherham near ...
 Originally Posted By: Turnbull
Anyone watching "Cane," a new series on CBS? This is a pretty good drama with strong parallels to the GF Trilogy:

The Duque family are Cuban emigres in South Florida who run a high-end rum business. The patriarch, Pancho Duque (Hector Elizondo) has cancer and turns the business over to his son-in-law, Alex Vega (Jimmy Smits). Alex, looking to the future, wants to sell the family's cane output to make ethanol. This move is resented by Pancho's passed-over son Frank (Nestor Carbonell), who falls into a honey-trap sprung by the daughter of a ruthless rival cane-baron (Polly Walker, who played Octavian's mother on "Rome"). Pancho's mother (Rita Moreno) hovers in the background.

Alex seems like a solid, family-oriented guy. But like Michael Corleone, he takes illegitimate short-cuts to maintain his family's "legitimacy." After the rival family hires a Cuban thug to menace the family by showing up at various public functions in proximity to them, Alex arranges for one of his workers to whack him. He gets away with it. But then his younger brother opens a nightclub with backing from a shady Russian drug dealer. The Russkies use his club to sell X. When the brother protests, the Russkies beat him to a pulp and sic a pit bull on him. Alex, to avenge the family, goes to a Cuban padrino and tells him, "I need your services." The padrino arranges for the Russkies to be whacked. Then Alex says, "I am in your debt." The padrino replies, "Now we do each other favors." You can see where this is going--and what it's modeled on.

"Cane" is a product for commercial broadcast TV, and it has the usual script shortcuts and lack of subtleties. The number of commercials would make you pray for a DVR if you didn't have one. But the cast is excellent, the acting is very solid, the production is lavish, and the script moves right along.

sounds like the sopronos

Re: "Cane" and GF Trilogy [Re: Toni_corleone] #450077
11/13/07 09:14 PM
11/13/07 09:14 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline OP
Turnbull  Offline OP

AZ
 Originally Posted By: Toni_corleone
Although I don't like how the Joe Samuels son just disappeared after the first episode and they make no further mention about him.

Yes. That's what I meant when I posted that "Cane" is a product for commercial broadcast TV, and it has the usual script shortcuts and lack of subtleties.

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull