GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (RushStreet), 260 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,497
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 23,930
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,512
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,339
Posts1,058,898
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Murray "The Camel" or "The Hump" Llewellyn Humphre #442805
10/11/07 01:28 PM
10/11/07 01:28 PM
Sheffield UK
chopper Offline OP
Gaetano Lucchese
chopper  Offline OP
Gaetano Lucchese

Sheffield UK
(1899 - November 23, 1965), was a Chicago mobster of Welsh descent who was the chief political and labor racketeer in the Chicago Outfit during the Prohibition. It has been suggested that the nickname "the Camel" derived from his preference for wearing camel hair coats. However, a more likely explanation is that "the camel" evolved from his other nickname, "the Hump", which came from his last name.

Joining the Chicago Outfit in the mid to late 1920s, Humphreys worked with Al Capone to build relationships with Chicago politicians, businessmen, and labor leaders. Humphreys feuded with Capone over the control of the Outfit until Capone went to prison in 1931 for tax evasion. Humphreys was later indicted for the December 1931 kidnapping of Union president Robert G. Fitche, but escaped conviction.

In 1933, Humphreys helped Al Capone arrange a fake kidnapping. The "victim" of this crime was to be John "Jake the Barber" Factor, a British con artist wanted in his home country for stock swindling. Factor, a Capone friend, was facing extradition proceedings when Humphreys faked his disappearance. In addition, Humphreys framed Capone rival Roger "Terrible" Touhy with the kidnapping charge. Touhy received a 99 year prison sentence.

In 1959, Touhy was finally released from prison. However, a month later Roger Touhy was found murdered. Six months after Touhy's death, Humphreys supposedly bought several shares of an insurance company. Eight months later, Humphreys redeemed these shares for $42,000. An IRS investigation soon determined that these shares had been originally owned by John Factor. The IRS claimed that the $42,000 was a payment from Factor to Humphreys for the fake 1933 kidnapping; they forced Humphreys to declare the money as income and pay taxes.

In 1965, Humphreys was charged for perjury to a federal grand jury. While being arrested, Humphreys pulled a gun on FBI agents, but was disarmed. However, the National Crime Syndicate was reportedly alarmed by this latest example of erratic behavior; within hours of his arrest, Murry Humphreys was found dead of a heart attack. A small wound was discovered on the body near the right ear, raising speculation that Humphreys was killed by an injection of air from a hypodermic needle. This theory was never confirmed.

Anybody wanting more ifo on the hump i throughly recommenend The outfit by Gus Russo

If i come across the table and take your f*****g eyes out ,will you remember

Aniello Dellacroce

TFI Lucky Star
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=uw-Uw0DUAGo

Happy Hardcore DJ Hixxy
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=4Pv7H4YkFKs
Re: Murray "The Camel" or "The Hump" Llewellyn Humphre [Re: chopper] #442810
10/11/07 01:43 PM
10/11/07 01:43 PM
DE NIRO Offline
DE NIRO  Offline

A legend.

I read that he was the one who invented the word "Money Laundering" cause he used to launder money in the Laundery place he owed..

The Mafia Is Not Primarily An Organisation Of Murderers.
First And Foremost,The Mafia Is Made Up Of Thieves.
It Is Driven By Greed And Controlled By Fear.

Between The Law And The Mafia, The Law Is Not The Most To Be Feared

"What if the Mafia were not an organization but a widespread Sicilian attitude of hostility towards the law?"

"Make Love Not War" John Lennon
Re: Murray "The Camel" or "The Hump" Llewellyn Humphre [Re: chopper] #442830
10/11/07 03:09 PM
10/11/07 03:09 PM
Elmwood Park, Illinois
YoTonyB Offline
Neighborhood Guy
YoTonyB  Offline
Neighborhood Guy
Underboss
Elmwood Park, Illinois
Hump might be the single most interesting and influential character in the history of Chicago's organized crime.

I often wondered if Tom Hagen might have been based partly on Murray Humphrey. There is no doubt Humphrey, a non-Italian, was part of the Outfit's inner circle, was trusted and respected, had extraordinary influence on the bosses over a long period of time, and exerted tremendous and far-reaching political pressure to get what he wanted. I wouldn't hesitate to refer to Humphrey as a consigliere although over the same period of time, other more prominent names were attached to that title. Turnbull once pointed-out in another thread that it's sometimes difficult to discern between a specific individual's role as a consigliere and that of a group of advisers functioning as a Don's "kitchen cabinet." Over the 30-some years Humphrey was involved, he was clearly part of that "kitchen cabinet."

Even today, in observing the reports from the recently concluded "Family Secrets" trial, I am amused at the media's efforts at trying to "pigeon-hole" specific names into a pre-determined spot on an organizational chart.

John Factor's younger brother was Max Factor, whose cosmetics company was part of Revlon.

tony b.

"Kid, these are my f**kin' work clothes."
"You look good in them golf shoes. You should buy 'em"
Re: Murray "The Camel" or "The Hump" Llewellyn Humphre [Re: YoTonyB] #442888
10/11/07 06:32 PM
10/11/07 06:32 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
The Camel is a good example of the eclectic approach to crime that the Outfit took under Torrio and Capone--reaching out to non-Sicilians and even non-Italians who could contribute. Jake (Greasy Thumb) Guzik was Torrio's political protector, taught Capone everything about the Three B's (Booze, Broads, Bets) and became his Number Two. After Capone went to Alcatraz, Guzik ran the Outfit alongside Frank Nitti.
Interestingly, John Kobler, Capone's best biographer, shows an Outfit rogue's gallery of photos. He lists Humphreys as "Robbery Expert." I was under the impression that, in his later years, he ran the labor rackets for the Outfit.
YTB, that's a very interesting analogy between Humphreys and Hagen. Another non-Italian who could fit that bill (broadly) was Hugh (Apples) McIntosh, who was nominally Carmine Persico's bodyguard but was really his consigliere.

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.
Re: Murray "The Camel" or "The Hump" Llewellyn Humphre [Re: Turnbull] #443020
10/12/07 04:48 AM
10/12/07 04:48 AM
Newcastle-upon-Tyne UK
Yogi Barrabbas Offline
Yogi Barrabbas  Offline

Newcastle-upon-Tyne UK
Yeah i have read The Outfit by Guy Russo.
Excellent book i have to say!

I would rather die on my feet than live on my knees!
Re: Murray "The Camel" or "The Hump" Llewellyn Humphre [Re: chopper] #754929
12/22/13 10:07 PM
12/22/13 10:07 PM
Chicagoland
SgWaue86 Offline
Capo
SgWaue86  Offline
Capo
Chicagoland
Reboot?

Re: Murray "The Camel" or "The Hump" Llewellyn Humphre [Re: SgWaue86] #754956
12/23/13 01:39 AM
12/23/13 01:39 AM
dgvc63 Offline
Made Member
dgvc63  Offline
Made Member
Hump was the goods.

Attached Files ImagesCA5YHXIA.jpg

"There are no friends in crime." ~ Muccanera

"Look everyone right in the eye and walk in like you own the joint." ~ Me

È negli occhi
Re: Murray "The Camel" or "The Hump" Llewellyn Humphre [Re: dgvc63] #754972
12/23/13 04:53 AM
12/23/13 04:53 AM
dgvc63 Offline
Made Member
dgvc63  Offline
Made Member
Unit 5131 East Tower (on the right) "Murray's Place"

Attached Files 189.JPG

"There are no friends in crime." ~ Muccanera

"Look everyone right in the eye and walk in like you own the joint." ~ Me

È negli occhi
Re: Murray "The Camel" or "The Hump" Llewellyn Humphre [Re: chopper] #754992
12/23/13 09:07 AM
12/23/13 09:07 AM
B
BigRed Offline
Button
BigRed  Offline
B
Button
Legend. But...

In 1933, Humphreys helped Al Capone arrange a fake kidnapping. The "victim" of this crime was to be John "Jake the Barber" Factor, a British con artist wanted in his home country for stock swindling. Factor, a Capone friend, was facing extradition proceedings when Humphreys faked his disappearance. In addition, Humphreys framed Capone rival Roger "Terrible" Touhy with the kidnapping charge. Touhy received a 99 year prison sentence.

Sounds like Capone and the Hump were a couple of rats. They used law enforcement to set up and arrest their rival Touhy. That's ratting to me.

Re: Murray "The Camel" or "The Hump" Llewellyn Humphre [Re: chopper] #754997
12/23/13 09:40 AM
12/23/13 09:40 AM
new jersey
T
thebigfella Offline
Underboss
thebigfella  Offline
T
Underboss
new jersey
That article sounds like one big conspiracy theory, capone and the hump battled for control of the outfit???? C'mon, capone gave Murray his orders and he marched, everybody in Chicago loved capone, even after capone died years later accardo would still refer to him as the boss, nobody in the outfit never tried taking control from capone while he was on the streets and those who did never lived to tell the story, people in the outfit was scared to cross capone

"McGurn likes you, so I make you. So you are now one of us, if you fuck up, we take it out on McGurn. He is your sponsor. Fuck up, it's his ass. You work in his crew, he is your capo."
Re: Murray "The Camel" or "The Hump" Llewellyn Humphre [Re: BigRed] #755108
12/23/13 03:26 PM
12/23/13 03:26 PM
M
mulberry Offline
Underboss
mulberry  Offline
M
Underboss
Originally Posted By: BigRed
Legend. But...

Sounds like Capone and the Hump were a couple of rats. They used law enforcement to set up and arrest their rival Touhy. That's ratting to me.

Silly. That's not considered ratting. The guy didn't commit the crime, and they never talked to the cops. Most of the mob guys used their police connections to crack down on the black gangsters to take over their rackets.

Re: Murray "The Camel" or "The Hump" Llewellyn Humphre [Re: mulberry] #755133
12/23/13 05:00 PM
12/23/13 05:00 PM
C
cookcounty Offline
Underboss
cookcounty  Offline
C
Underboss
Originally Posted By: mulberry
Originally Posted By: BigRed
Legend. But...

Silly. That's not considered ratting. The guy didn't commit the crime, and they never talked to the cops. Most of the mob guys used their police connections to crack down on the black gangsters to take over their rackets.

don't tell anybody that because they would like to believe they took over by force

Last edited by cookcounty; 12/23/13 05:00 PM.
Re: Murray "The Camel" or "The Hump" Llewellyn Humphre [Re: chopper] #755134
12/23/13 05:01 PM
12/23/13 05:01 PM
J
jonnynonos Offline
Underboss
jonnynonos  Offline
J
Underboss
Russo's book focuses largely on him.

Probably in no small part because I think he was able to get many interviews with his widow (second wife).

Re: Murray "The Camel" or "The Hump" Llewellyn Humphre [Re: mulberry] #755172
12/23/13 08:02 PM
12/23/13 08:02 PM
B
BigRed Offline
Button
BigRed  Offline
B
Button

Fake ratting is just as bad as real ratting. Especially if it ends up with the same result. At least that's the deal where I'm from, I don't know about Chicago.

Everyone loves Capone so he gets a pass but he shouldn't.

Re: Murray "The Camel" or "The Hump" Llewellyn Humphre [Re: chopper] #755176
12/23/13 08:22 PM
12/23/13 08:22 PM
new jersey
T
thebigfella Offline
Underboss
thebigfella  Offline
T
Underboss
new jersey
Actually dry-snitching is quite popular in the underworld if it will get rid of their enimies, where are u from bigred?

"McGurn likes you, so I make you. So you are now one of us, if you fuck up, we take it out on McGurn. He is your sponsor. Fuck up, it's his ass. You work in his crew, he is your capo."
Re: Murray "The Camel" or "The Hump" Llewellyn Humphre [Re: thebigfella] #755188
12/23/13 09:44 PM
12/23/13 09:44 PM
B
BigRed Offline
Button
BigRed  Offline
B
Button
Philly. I don't know if what Capone and Humphreys did was really "dry snitching" since dry snitching is "accidentally" (quotes important) snitching on people by talking out loud. There's was no accident.

What they did is usually done by people with power and connections as opposed to what we usually think of snitching which is done by people with little else to use. If anything it's worse since it's abuse by the powerful.

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull