GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (furio_from_naples), 241 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,497
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 23,930
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,512
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,337
Posts1,058,852
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Radiohead Release Upcomming Album for Free #441445
10/05/07 10:19 PM
10/05/07 10:19 PM
Right here, but I'd rather be ...
long_lost_corleone Offline OP
Underboss
long_lost_corleone  Offline OP
Underboss
http://www.time.com/time/arts/article/0,8599,1666973,00.html

I don't know how many Radiohead fans exist in this community, but it's been a long, long, long, long 5 year wait, and finally, my favorite band of all time will be releasing their 7th album THIS WEEK for an optional cost via the internet... No record labels, no bullshit. You choose whether or not you wish to pay, as well as the fee you wish to pay.

And, yes, 99% of my inspiration behind posting this information here is rooted in my reaction to Geoff's thread on music piracy.

Last edited by long_lost_corleone; 10/05/07 10:19 PM.

"Somebody told me when the bomb hits, everybody in a two mile radius will be instantly sublimated, but if you lay face down on the ground for some time, avoiding the residual ripples of heat, you might survive, permanently fucked up and twisted like you're always underwater refracted. But if you do go gas, there's nothing you can do if the air that was once you is mingled and mashed with the kicked up molecules of the enemy's former body. Big-kid-tested, motherf--ker approved."
Re: Radiohead Release Upcomming Album for Free [Re: long_lost_corleone] #441474
10/06/07 01:36 AM
10/06/07 01:36 AM
Existential Well
svsg Offline
Underboss
svsg  Offline
Underboss
Existential Well
Responding to the point from the other thread, can upcoming musicians make a career out of their craft? Radiohead is already big enough, but what about others?

Re: Radiohead Release Upcomming Album for Free [Re: svsg] #441476
10/06/07 01:42 AM
10/06/07 01:42 AM
under there
bogey Offline
Underboss
bogey  Offline
Underboss
under there
I heard about this on Monday I think, and totally forgot to post about it. I can't fucking wait, personally.

So you can pay nothing, or as much as you want? Radiohead is so damn awesome.

What are you going to do, el el see?

President of the long_lost_corleone Fan Club
Re: Radiohead Release Upcomming Album for Free [Re: bogey] #441484
10/06/07 03:13 AM
10/06/07 03:13 AM
East Bay
Blibbleblabble Offline
Poo-tee-weet?
Blibbleblabble  Offline
Poo-tee-weet?

East Bay
Yeah, I'm going "purchase" this album. The question is, how much to pay? With a band I respect and love as much as Radiohead I can't just take advantage of the situation and download it for free! I want to support them in some way, so how much do I pay? That's the hard part to figure out.

EDIT: And for that reason, they are genius (If not for other reasons already)

Last edited by Blibbleblabble; 10/06/07 03:13 AM.

"There's never enough time to do all the nothing you want." -Calvin and Hobbes
Re: Radiohead Release Upcomming Album for Free [Re: svsg] #441526
10/06/07 10:05 AM
10/06/07 10:05 AM
Underboss
Underboss
 Originally Posted By: svsg
Responding to the point from the other thread, can upcoming musicians make a career out of their craft? Radiohead is already big enough, but what about others?

Well, they do say that most bands make their money from touring; But releasing an album via the internet doesn't have to mean releasing it for free. It'd be just as triumphant to release an album onto the internet without a record label, and cutting out the inflated retail price that would be placed by the label, selling it for the mere five or six or whatever dollars that the band would have been receiving per album sold through a record label. I'd even feel more comfortable spending the standard eighteen dollars on an album if I knew it were all going to the artistic force, not the marketing/business team.

The only problem is, where does this leave the album sleeve, the album artwork, etc.? I believe it was Capo who pointed out that an album's cover art plays a key role in distinguishing an album, and I agree with that very much. (Coincidentally, the album artwork being used in the diskbox is not-so-good... I'm curious if they'll be changing the artwork for the individually released record in 2008, because I'm not sure if Stanley Donwood, long time collaborator, did the work for the diskbox, and it's fact that he's been working very closely with the band on new artwork.)

Originally Posted By: bogey
I heard about this on Monday I think, and totally forgot to post about it. I can't fucking wait, personally.

So you can pay nothing, or as much as you want? Radiohead is so damn awesome.

What are you going to do, el el see?

Being unemployed, I will be downloading the album for free on Wednesday (actually, more like Tuesday around 9 in EST), but I will be purchasing the diskbox for the whopping $82 come December 3rd. Radiohead is one of few bands who I will and have gone out of my way to purchase physical copies of their material, including vinyls, EP's, singles, and other hard to find goodies.

Oh, and if anyone was wonder, the album is in good hands, because Dave Matthews' new record label has picked it up for distribution, and will be behind the December 3rd diskbox as well as the individual release of the album, which should come early 2008.

EDIT: I also have to say that I fucking love the fact that afer spending two years recording this album and creating such a buzz among fans, they just casually announce that they're going to be releasing it a week before the actual release, without doing any PR. Thom Yorke is a badass.

Last edited by long_lost_corleone; 10/06/07 10:08 AM.

"Somebody told me when the bomb hits, everybody in a two mile radius will be instantly sublimated, but if you lay face down on the ground for some time, avoiding the residual ripples of heat, you might survive, permanently fucked up and twisted like you're always underwater refracted. But if you do go gas, there's nothing you can do if the air that was once you is mingled and mashed with the kicked up molecules of the enemy's former body. Big-kid-tested, motherf--ker approved."
Re: Radiohead Release Upcomming Album for Free [Re: long_lost_corleone] #441534
10/06/07 11:09 AM
10/06/07 11:09 AM
under there
bogey Offline
Underboss
bogey  Offline
Underboss
under there
Yeah, I'll probably pay at least something, because I don't think I'll be able to get the discbox. I might, but who knows.

Originally Posted By: long_lost_corleone
Thom Yorke is a badass.

Word.

Re: Radiohead Release Upcomming Album for Free [Re: bogey] #441562
10/06/07 01:50 PM
10/06/07 01:50 PM
In a van down by the river!
Longneck Offline
Longneck  Offline

In a van down by the river!
This is a great idea. Publicity for doing it, people that didn't know Radiohead might check them out and like them and buy more of their stuff, and they will probably get more money that they normally would from getting all of then money rather than royalties even if a lot of people don't pay.

Long as I remember The rain been coming down.
Clouds of Mystery pouring Confusion on the ground.
Good men through the ages, Trying to find the sun;
And I wonder, Still I wonder, Who'll stop the rain.

Re: Radiohead Release Upcomming Album for Free [Re: Longneck] #441564
10/06/07 01:56 PM
10/06/07 01:56 PM
Underboss
Underboss
Longneck continues to impress me with good taste. \:\)

Re: Radiohead Release Upcomming Album for Free [Re: long_lost_corleone] #441963
10/08/07 08:11 PM
10/08/07 08:11 PM
Underboss
Underboss
This album will be released in less than 24 hours (remember, that's October 10 in UK time) and I'm fucking excited.

I have a feeling this will be one of their best albums, amongst Kid A, Amnesiac, and OK Computer.

Re: Radiohead Release Upcomming Album for Free [Re: long_lost_corleone] #441971
10/08/07 08:38 PM
10/08/07 08:38 PM
East Bay
Blibbleblabble Offline
Poo-tee-weet?
Blibbleblabble  Offline
Poo-tee-weet?

East Bay
You wouldn't put The Bends up there with their tops albums?

Re: Radiohead Release Upcomming Album for Free [Re: Blibbleblabble] #441972
10/08/07 08:43 PM
10/08/07 08:43 PM
Underboss
Underboss
I have huge difficulty ranking their albums... While I love The Bends, it doesn't compare to their edgier, more experimental stuff. So, I'd rank it behind the aforementioned three (any one of which could be my favorite album depending on the day/my mood), but above Hail to the Thief. Pablo Honey, while not a bad album, is clearly their weakest release.

My rankings do fluctuate though, and quite frequently. Their albums are just all so good.

Re: Radiohead Release Upcomming Album for Free [Re: long_lost_corleone] #442286
10/09/07 06:33 PM
10/09/07 06:33 PM
Underboss
Underboss
About half an hour to go...

I'll be surprised to see what this does to the site's bandwith, but I'm celebrating regardless.

Re: Radiohead Release Upcomming Album for Free [Re: long_lost_corleone] #442323
10/09/07 10:00 PM
10/09/07 10:00 PM
Some anonymous motel room.
Don Vercetti Offline
Don Vercetti  Offline

Some anonymous motel room.
Can someone please inform me why I filled ut the info/registered and it says it will be billed on my credit card, even though I gave no credit card information and the cost is 0.00 pounds?

Proud Member of the Gangster BB Bratpack - Fighting Elitism and Ignorance Since 2006
Re: Radiohead Release Upcomming Album for Free [Re: Don Vercetti] #442464
10/10/07 02:37 PM
10/10/07 02:37 PM
Gateshead, UK
Capo de La Cosa Nostra Offline
Capo de La Cosa Nostra  Offline

Gateshead, UK

...dot com bold typeface rhetoric.
You go clickety click and get your head split.
'The hell you look like on a message board
Discussing whether or not the Brother is hardcore?
Re: Radiohead Release Upcomming Album for Free [Re: Don Vercetti] #442466
10/10/07 02:42 PM
10/10/07 02:42 PM
Underboss
Underboss
 Originally Posted By: Don Vercetti
Can someone please inform me why I filled ut the info/registered and it says it will be billed on my credit card, even though I gave no credit card information and the cost is 0.00 pounds?

Don't even worry about it, they don't ask for your credit card number unless you choose to actually spend money on this.

Anyway, I was surprised how quickly the album downloaded. I had expected their server to completely overflow... But the album downloaded much faster than it would have off of a site like megaupload or yousendit.

Re: Radiohead Release Upcomming Album for Free [Re: long_lost_corleone] #442469
10/10/07 03:05 PM
10/10/07 03:05 PM
under there
bogey Offline
Underboss
bogey  Offline
Underboss
under there
Yeah, it downloaded quick for me too. I haven't listened to it yet, but I just burned it and I'm gonna listen to it on the way to work. What's everyone think so far?

Re: Radiohead Release Upcomming Album for Free [Re: bogey] #442470
10/10/07 03:07 PM
10/10/07 03:07 PM
Gateshead, UK

Gateshead, UK
It makes me feel safe.

And that's probably the best compliment I could give it.

Re: Radiohead Release Upcomming Album for Free [Re: Capo de La Cosa Nostra] #442587
10/10/07 06:13 PM
10/10/07 06:13 PM
Underboss
Underboss
It's great. Excellent. Amazing. Fantastic.

It's unlike anything they've ever done, while at the same time very familiar and reminiscent of everything they've ever done.

The biggest surprise, to me, was how "Reckoner" came out. They really updated it... I remember when they started playing that song live years back before abandoning it, and back then it was easily one of their hardest songs. Now it's so mellow and relaxed. "Nude" went under quite the transformation, several times over, since being introduced in 1997 (ten years without being recorded properly... damn).

But the album is great. My rankings are going like this right now:

1.) Kid A (2000)
2.) OK Computer (1997)
3.) Amnesiac (2001)
4.) In Rainbows (2007)
5.) The Bends (1995)
6.) Hail to the Thief (2003)
7.) Pablo Honey (1993)

Re: Radiohead Release Upcomming Album for Free [Re: long_lost_corleone] #442588
10/10/07 06:18 PM
Gateshead, UK

Gateshead, UK
my rankings are fragile, but for now:
amnesiac | in rainbows | kid a | hail to the thief | ok computer | the bends | pablo honey

Re: Radiohead Release Upcomming Album for Free [Re: long_lost_corleone] #442589
DE NIRO Offline
DE NIRO  Offline

Im still ashamed at myself at only hearing 1 of there songs EVER think the song is called Street Spirit.

I ganna crawl back under my rock now..

The Mafia Is Not Primarily An Organisation Of Murderers.
First And Foremost,The Mafia Is Made Up Of Thieves.
It Is Driven By Greed And Controlled By Fear.

Between The Law And The Mafia, The Law Is Not The Most To Be Feared

"What if the Mafia were not an organization but a widespread Sicilian attitude of hostility towards the law?"

"Make Love Not War" John Lennon
Re: Radiohead Release Upcomming Album for Free [Re: DE NIRO] #442590
10/10/07 06:22 PM
10/10/07 06:22 PM
Underboss
Underboss
 Originally Posted By: DE NIRO
Im still ashamed at myself at only hearing 1 of there songs EVER think the song is called Street Spirit.

"Street Spirit (Fade Out)"

Very good song. Probably one of the most important songs off of The Bends. I think it really helped shape their modern sound.

Well, I would look into them, their sound changes substantially from album to album... The most drastic change-over being from 1997's OK Computer to 2000's Kid A.

Re: Radiohead Release Upcomming Album for Free [Re: long_lost_corleone] #442666
10/11/07 12:36 AM
10/11/07 12:36 AM
East Bay
Blibbleblabble Offline
Poo-tee-weet?
Blibbleblabble  Offline
Poo-tee-weet?

East Bay
Street Spirit (Fade Out) is my favorite song of that album.

I'm going to download this new album tonight so I can listen to it while I'm working tomorrow. I heard a few of the songs on the radio today and they sounded good.

Re: Radiohead Release Upcomming Album for Free [Re: Blibbleblabble] #442671
10/11/07 02:32 AM
10/11/07 02:32 AM
under there
bogey Offline
Underboss
bogey  Offline
Underboss
under there
I love it.

Re: Radiohead Release Upcomming Album for Free [Re: bogey] #442834
10/11/07 03:31 PM
10/11/07 03:31 PM
Underboss
Underboss
The entire album is great. "15 Step," "Nude," "All I Need," "Jigsaw Falling into Place," and "Videotape" are amongst my favorites.

The whole album is great. Now I can't wait to hear all the b-sides in December...

Easily my pick for album of the year, just ahead of Explosions in the Sky's All of a Sudden I Miss Everyone. Not to mention Sigur Rós will be releasing a double-album comprised of previously unreleased and acoustic songs next month. I'm sure that'll rank high.

Re: Radiohead Release Upcomming Album for Free [Re: long_lost_corleone] #443438
10/14/07 10:23 AM
10/14/07 10:23 AM
Underboss
Underboss
This album has brought me to realize something; Radiohead are doing to the music of my generation what the Beatles did to the music of that generation. Only, unlike the Beatles, not many people seem to be acknowledging it.

Re: Radiohead Release Upcomming Album for Free [Re: long_lost_corleone] #443457
10/14/07 01:05 PM
10/14/07 01:05 PM
East Bay
Blibbleblabble Offline
Poo-tee-weet?
Blibbleblabble  Offline
Poo-tee-weet?

East Bay
Maybe because Radiohead is somewhat of an acquired taste, but anyone who heard the Beatles instantly liked them and their upbeat songs.

Re: Radiohead Release Upcomming Album for Free [Re: Blibbleblabble] #443458
10/14/07 01:14 PM
10/14/07 01:14 PM
Underboss
Underboss
Yes, but I don't consider my generation to be particularly upbeat.

In fact, every person I've met who is my age and worth a damn has been downright miserable. And if not that, then at least a tad off center in means of social skills.

Re: Radiohead Release Upcomming Album for Free [Re: long_lost_corleone] #443469
10/14/07 01:51 PM
10/14/07 01:51 PM
East Bay
Blibbleblabble Offline
Poo-tee-weet?
Blibbleblabble  Offline
Poo-tee-weet?

East Bay
But the majority of those people of this young generation probably listen to mainstream depressing music. It is stuff that is catchy the first time you hear it, but it's still depressing lyrics and all that. Radiohead takes a few listens for the common listener, and most people aren't patient enough to do that.

Re: Radiohead Release Upcomming Album for Free [Re: Blibbleblabble] #443480
10/14/07 02:22 PM
10/14/07 02:22 PM
Underboss
Underboss
 Originally Posted By: Blibbleblabble
But the majority of those people of this young generation probably listen to mainstream depressing music. It is stuff that is catchy the first time you hear it, but it's still depressing lyrics and all that. Radiohead takes a few listens for the common listener, and most people aren't patient enough to do that.

Yeah, I know that. Well, I guess that was my point all along.

I should've clarified that the majority of them are dark, but not intelligent.

Re: Radiohead Release Upcomming Album for Free [Re: long_lost_corleone] #443486
10/14/07 02:37 PM
10/14/07 02:37 PM
East Bay
Blibbleblabble Offline
Poo-tee-weet?
Blibbleblabble  Offline
Poo-tee-weet?

East Bay
Heh yeah. My generation rose and fell with Nirvana and the grunge band era. They made it cool to be depressed and dress like a homeless person. It was also the time when Radiohead got started and they, of course, were just as overlooked then as now. Although they have a huge following, really a lot of people don't know anything about Radiohead. It's too bad.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull