GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (Toodoped), 311 guests, and 6 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,611
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 24,092
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,518
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,378
Posts1,059,595
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
2 Questions?? #440323
09/30/07 03:10 PM
09/30/07 03:10 PM
UK, Little old Rotherham near ...
Zaf-the-don Offline OP
Capo di tutti i capi
Zaf-the-don  Offline OP
Capo di tutti i capi
Underboss
Did Lucky and Al Capone ever meet in person, if so is there a photograph??

Did Al Capone ever attend the commission that Lucky set up??

Re: 2 Questions?? [Re: Zaf-the-don] #440377
09/30/07 09:43 PM
09/30/07 09:43 PM
DonMichaelCorleone Offline
DonMichaelCorleone  Offline

I'd have to do more research but I didn't think Luciano and Capone were ever in the same Prison, unless I'm really mistaken.

According to many of the movies Capone was at the Commission meetings but if I remember correctly I think I read that he was appointed to the Commission but never attended, again I could be wrong.

"You gave your word, I never gave mine"
http://s2.gladiatus.us/game/c.php?uid=88380
Re: 2 Questions?? [Re: DonMichaelCorleone] #440381
09/30/07 10:00 PM
09/30/07 10:00 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
He would have been in prison even before the Commission was set up, right? He went to prison in 1932 and the Commission was set up only a year before that. It seems unlikely that he would have attended any meetings while under the jurisdiction of the court. But, maybe.

"Generosity. That was my first mistake."
"Experience must be our only guide; reason may mislead us."
"Instagram is Twitter for people who can't read."
Re: 2 Questions?? [Re: DonMichaelCorleone] #440383
09/30/07 10:04 PM
09/30/07 10:04 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
Capone and Luciano met at least twice--once in a gangland convention in Chicago that Capone hosted, also in another convention in Atlantic City that Luciano helped to organize. Luciano, clever fellow, appointed Capone "chairman" of the Commission when he formed it ca. 1931, but it is not recorded that Capone ever attended a Commission meeting. Probably just as well, since the title was honorific. Joe Bonanno, in his autobiography, notes that the Chicago Outfit seldom participated in Commission business because there was only one organization--theirs--in Chicago, and it wasn't in their interests to get embroiled in the perpetual srife among NYC's Five Families.

They never met in prison. Capone went to Atlanta after his tax evasion conviction, then to Alcatraz, then to Terminal Island. Luciano went to Dannemora Prison after his Mann Act conviction, then to Great Meadow, then he was deported.

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.
Re: 2 Questions?? [Re: Turnbull] #440395
09/30/07 10:50 PM
09/30/07 10:50 PM
New York
SC Offline
Consigliere
SC  Offline
Consigliere

New York
Guys, put on your reading glasses.... the thread's originator asked if they ever met in PERSON, not in prison!

Popular legend has it that Luciano and Capone knew each other from their teen years when they were supposed to have been in the same street gang. Capone's biographer, John Kobler, states the two knew each other from elementary school and later being in the Five Points Gang (headed by Johnny Torrio). Similarly, some of Luciano's bios mention early contact between the two, as well.

I've never seen a picture in which the two appeared together, but its surely possible that they were photographed together.

Re: 2 Questions?? [Re: SC] #440401
09/30/07 11:16 PM
09/30/07 11:16 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
 Originally Posted By: SC
Guys, put on your reading glasses....

Failing eyesight is just one of my ongoing problems, SC. Effing Social Security won't pay for magnifiers.... ;\)
 Quote:
Popular legend has it that Luciano and Capone knew each other from their teen years when they were supposed to have been in the same street gang. Capone's biographer, John Kobler, states the two knew each other from elementary school and later being in the Five Points Gang (headed by Johnny Torrio). Similarly, some of Luciano's bios mention early contact between the two, as well.

Much as I respect Kobler (Capone's best biographer, IMO), it's doubtful that Capone and Luciano met as teens. Capone grew up in the Brooklyn Navy Yard district, while Luciano was a son of the Lower East Side. Going from one borough in those days was a big deal, much less running with the same gang.

Re: 2 Questions?? [Re: Turnbull] #440405
09/30/07 11:28 PM
09/30/07 11:28 PM
New York
SC Offline
Consigliere
SC  Offline
Consigliere

New York
Gosch & Hammer's "The Last Testament of Lucky Luciano" also mentions a few early incidents between Charlie Lucky and Big Al. I recall reading others that mention the two knew each other from their early days but I'm too tired to look it up now. Plus, I can't find my reading glasses. \:\)

I'm not 100% certain that I believe that they knew each other as young men and thats why I used the phrase "popular legend", but I can't really argue against a few different sources either.

Re: 2 Questions?? [Re: SC] #440420
10/01/07 07:09 AM
10/01/07 07:09 AM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club

According to several different sources, Al Capone and Lucky Luciano were co-members of a gang known as the Five Pointers.

Don Cardi cool

Five - ten years from now, they're gonna wish there was American Cosa Nostra. Five - ten years from now, they're gonna miss John Gotti.

Re: 2 Questions?? [Re: Don Cardi] #440422
10/01/07 07:33 AM
10/01/07 07:33 AM
Sheffield UK
chopper Offline
Gaetano Lucchese
chopper  Offline
Gaetano Lucchese

Sheffield UK
The most notorious gangster in the history of the nation, Alphonse Capone, better known to most as Al Capone or Scarface, ran Chicago with blood and guns.
Capone was born in Brooklyn in 1899 to two Italian immigrants. From the beginning, he never responded well to authority. He beat a female teacher while in his sixth grade year and left after the principal verbally chastised him for the incident. Facing a life of low paying jobs, he joined the street gang led by Johny Torrio and Lucky Luciano.

If i come across the table and take your f*****g eyes out ,will you remember

Aniello Dellacroce

TFI Lucky Star
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=uw-Uw0DUAGo

Happy Hardcore DJ Hixxy
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=4Pv7H4YkFKs
Re: 2 Questions?? [Re: Don Cardi] #440480
10/01/07 11:00 AM
10/01/07 11:00 AM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
 Originally Posted By: Don Cardi

According to several different sources, Al Capone and Lucky Luciano were co-members of a gang known as the Five Pointers.

That perception may have been based in the fact that Johnny Torrio, Capone's mentor, had been a Five Pointer--the long-running Lower East Side gang. But Torrio later moved to the Brooklyn Navy Yard district, where he became a ward heeler and racketeer, and where the adolescent Capone met and worshipped him.

BTW: Kobler explains the origin of the word, "racket." He writes that, periodically, ward heelers and gang leaders would enrich themselves by throwing a dinner in their own honor, and "inviting" (read: requiring) local politicians, merchants and their own cohorts to make substantial "contributions" to the dinner, to the "commemorative journal," etc. These were loud, raucous, sometimes violent affairs, with everyone getting drunk, throwing rolls at each other, etc. They made a loud racket, in other words. (The all-time great movie "Little Caesar" accurately shows a "racket" dinner when Caesar takes over the Club Palermo gang from Sam Vettore.) Gradually, "racket" came to describe any illicit or semi-illicit money-making scheme or business.

Re: 2 Questions?? [Re: Turnbull] #440561
10/01/07 03:08 PM
10/01/07 03:08 PM
Zaf-the-don Offline OP
Capo di tutti i capi
Zaf-the-don  Offline OP
Capo di tutti i capi
Underboss
Thanks for the replies. I'm reading Five families by Raab and was interested if Capone and Lucky (two criminal masterminds) ever met. Its preety shocking to know how powerful the mafia was in america. Its a great book so far.

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull