GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
2 registered members (U talkin' da me ??, 1 invisible), 398 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,603
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 24,080
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,517
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,370
Posts1,059,521
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Questions About The Godfather Part III #440219
09/29/07 01:49 PM
09/29/07 01:49 PM
Darkshowers Offline OP
Wiseguy
Darkshowers  Offline OP
Wiseguy
Now for the longest time, I've had these questions about Part III.

1. Did they ever explain what Altobello had against Michael and the Corleone Family to turn against them? They explained Roth in Part II and Sollozzo and Barzini in Part I obviously.

2. We know that Duvall and FFC could not come to an agreement on how much he should be paid for Part III. However, as an explanation for no Hagen, is it possible that Michael had Tom Hagen killed maybe some time after Part II as Michael was merciless to those who he even suspected of betraying him? Of course, then we see Michael taking care of Andrew and would Andrew have suspected? I don't know.

3. As I've heard about rumors of Part IV and what Puzo wanted to do it with it, I wonder if Michael had any power or say in the Family after he gave control to Vincent? We know that Michael for his whole life, tried to make the Corleone Family legitimate and with Vincent taking over, he would most likely bring the Family back to crime to keep them strong. Maybe after the death of his daughter, Michael simply doesn't care anymore as he moves to Sicily. Also, I wonder what Connie's role would be?

I also find it strange that Al Neri, the Family's most feared enforcer, had gone soft as he couldn't come up with the idea to take care of Zasa. In fact, he wasn't even sure if he should avenge the attempted hit on Michael and an amateur namely Vincent had to figure out how to do it. And I'm only saying and amateur compared to Al Neri who has been with the Family for all this time.

Thanks in advance!

Re: Questions About The Godfather Part III [Re: Darkshowers] #440221
09/29/07 02:05 PM
09/29/07 02:05 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
Well, they never did explain about Roth and Barzini. They left it to us to surmise that they both wanted what the Coeleones had. The same is true of Altobello.

Michael killing Tom would be a stretch.

You're probably right that after Mary's death, Michael went into emotional and physical hibernation.

Neri was Michael's subordinate who was not supposed to act without orders. Michael expressed the same when he told him that it was not what he wanted. Vincent did so without Michael's instructions by simply substituting Connie for Michael in the hierarchy. That was inane.

"Generosity. That was my first mistake."
"Experience must be our only guide; reason may mislead us."
"Instagram is Twitter for people who can't read."
Re: Questions About The Godfather Part III [Re: Darkshowers] #440322
09/30/07 02:00 PM
09/30/07 02:00 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
 Originally Posted By: Darkshowers

1. Did they ever explain what Altobello had against Michael and the Corleone Family to turn against them? They explained Roth in Part II and Sollozzo and Barzini in Part I obviously.

No. And, for that matter, who was Lucchese and why was he against Michael; or what were his terms for Michael running Immobiliare? What was Immobiliare, and why was it so important to Michael--especially after being made a Papal Knight? Why was Archbishop Gilday against Michael, and in cahoots with Lucchese? These, and plenty of other questions that are unresolved, contribute to the plot feebleness that makes III an unworthy successor to GF and II.

Quote:
2. We know that Duvall and FFC could not come to an agreement on how much he should be paid for Part III. However, as an explanation for no Hagen, is it possible that Michael had Tom Hagen killed maybe some time after Part II as Michael was merciless to those who he even suspected of betraying him? Of course, then we see Michael taking care of Andrew and would Andrew have suspected? I don't know.

I wouldn't put it past Michael to whack Hagen, if he thought he had reason. Consider the penultimate boathouse scene in II, when Michael tells him that he can take his wife, his family and his mistress and live in Vegas, if he doesn't want to go along with Michael. Suppose Hagen had said, "Right! I'm outta here!" How long do you think Hagen would have lived?

Quote:
3. As I've heard about rumors of Part IV and what Puzo wanted to do it with it, I wonder if Michael had any power or say in the Family after he gave control to Vincent? We know that Michael for his whole life, tried to make the Corleone Family legitimate and with Vincent taking over, he would most likely bring the Family back to crime to keep them strong. Maybe after the death of his daughter, Michael simply doesn't care anymore as he moves to Sicily. Also, I wonder what Connie's role would be?

As Olivant said, he was a beaten man at that point. I believe that, if Michael had had his way, he would have taken over Immobiliare, run it ruthlessly, and maintained Vincent as his pitbull-in-waiting: a thug who ran what was left of the old NYC "olive oil business" while staying at almost arm's length from Michael: far enough not to besmirch his "legitimate" reputation, but close enough to be a threat to anyone who threatened Michael.

Quote:
I also find it strange that Al Neri, the Family's most feared enforcer, had gone soft as he couldn't come up with the idea to take care of Zasa. In fact, he wasn't even sure if he should avenge the attempted hit on Michael and an amateur namely Vincent had to figure out how to do it. And I'm only saying and amateur compared to Al Neri who has been with the Family for all this time.

Neri had to appear "soft" so that FFC and Puzo could introduce us to Vincent as the heir-apparent, thug-in-waiting, incestuous lover of Michael's daughter, man-on-the-make, etc.

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.
Re: Questions About The Godfather Part III [Re: Turnbull] #440380
09/30/07 09:56 PM
09/30/07 09:56 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
I don't agree with all you posted TB. Lucchese et al pursued power endlessly. They didn't need any other reason to contest Mike on Immobliere. Michael wanted it for the same reason and, perhaps, as a path to legitimacy. That's debatable

Regarding Neri, he wasn't soft. Remember that he said I'd love to smack [Zasa], but he's always got people around him. Vinnie was reckless and apparently didn't care about taking precautions. The attack on certainly endangered alot of civilians which was something that neither Neri or Michael would have countenanced. Also, by doing it himself he provided the authorities with a direct link to Michael and rationalizing that Connie said to do it was careless, at best. I believe that Neri was being prudent.

"Generosity. That was my first mistake."
"Experience must be our only guide; reason may mislead us."
"Instagram is Twitter for people who can't read."
Re: Questions About The Godfather Part III [Re: Darkshowers] #440436
10/01/07 09:04 AM
10/01/07 09:04 AM
Pittsburgh, PA
The Last Woltz Offline
Underboss
The Last Woltz  Offline
Underboss
Pittsburgh, PA
1. Altobello had the same motivation to go against Michael and the Corleones that Roth and Barzini did. He figured it was good business.

2. I doubt that Michael had Tom killed. It's certainly within Mike's character, but his support of Andrew makes this implausible.

3. I agree that Mary's death was also, for all intents and purposes, the death of Michael. I also think that Michael truly wanted out before that, so he would have done his best to go against his controlling nature and allow Vincent to run the family without interference.

Also, Neri was hardly soft to not kill Zasa. He was doing his boss's bidding. Killing Zasa was not necessarily a smart move, at least not until the Corleone's "true enemy" was revealed.

"A man in my position cannot afford to be made to look ridiculous!"
Re: Questions About The Godfather Part III [Re: Turnbull] #440437
10/01/07 09:15 AM
10/01/07 09:15 AM
Pittsburgh, PA
The Last Woltz Offline
Underboss
The Last Woltz  Offline
Underboss
Pittsburgh, PA
 Originally Posted By: Turnbull
And, for that matter, who was Lucchese and why was he against Michael; or what were his terms for Michael running Immobiliare? What was Immobiliare, and why was it so important to Michael--especially after being made a Papal Knight? Why was Archbishop Gilday against Michael, and in cahoots with Lucchese? These, and plenty of other questions that are unresolved, contribute to the plot feebleness that makes III an unworthy successor to GF and II.

Part III certainly had its flaws, but I never felt that these "loose ends" were among them.

We are told that the Immobiliare deal would make Michael one of the richest men in the world, and that it would make Michael's money "clean." To someone as obsessed with money, power, and legitimacy as Michael would desperately want this deal.

Of course, if Michael's taking over, he must be pushing someone out. Enter Lucchese, who has bought the loyalty of Gilday, Keinzig, et al.

Sure, there are places where FFC left us to fill in the gaps, but this is true of the first 2 films as well. If it wasn't, this site wouldn't exist.

"A man in my position cannot afford to be made to look ridiculous!"
Re: Questions About The Godfather Part III [Re: Turnbull] #440438
10/01/07 09:20 AM
10/01/07 09:20 AM
With Geary in Fredo's Brothel
dontomasso Offline
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline
Consigliere to the Stars

With Geary in Fredo's Brothel
 Originally Posted By: Turnbull
 Originally Posted By: Darkshowers

No. And, for that matter, who was Lucchese and why was he against Michael; or what were his terms for Michael running Immobiliare? What was Immobiliare, and why was it so important to Michael--especially after being made a Papal Knight? Why was Archbishop Gilday against Michael, and in cahoots with Lucchese? These, and plenty of other questions that are unresolved, contribute to the plot feebleness that makes III an unworthy successor to GF and II.

Quote:

I wouldn't put it past Michael to whack Hagen, if he thought he had reason. Consider the penultimate boathouse scene in II, when Michael tells him that he can take his wife, his family and his mistress and live in Vegas, if he doesn't want to go along with Michael. Suppose Hagen had said, "Right! I'm outta here!" How long do you think Hagen would have lived?

Quote:

As Olivant said, he was a beaten man at that point. I believe that, if Michael had had his way, he would have taken over Immobiliare, run it ruthlessly, and maintained Vincent as his pitbull-in-waiting: a thug who ran what was left of the old NYC "olive oil business" while staying at almost arm's length from Michael: far enough not to besmirch his "legitimate" reputation, but close enough to be a threat to anyone who threatened Michael.

Quote:

Neri had to appear "soft" so that FFC and Puzo could introduce us to Vincent as the heir-apparent, thug-in-waiting, incestuous lover of Michael's daughter, man-on-the-make, etc.

Good questions and answers

1. Altobello had cast his lot with Joey Zasa AND Luchese, so he wanted Michael out of New York, and he wanted to be reqarded by Luchese who did not want Michael in Immobiliare.

2. Immobaliare was the largest realestate holding company in the world, but it was corrupt. It was in cahoots with the Vatican Bank and over extended. The Bishop and Luchese and the othewrs did not want Michael involved, because Michael would have exposed them and ruined them. Remember what Michael says: "the higher up I go the crookeder it gets."

3. After Mary's death Michael was a beaten man who spent his remaining days in Sicily. Connie may or may not have stayed with him to take care of him.

4. Micheal did not whack Tom Hagen, although he was capable of it. There are too many indications otherwise in GF III. He goes out of his way to tell George Hamilton that Tom was a dreat lawyer (typical Michael...insults To all his life and when he dies he uses Tom to put down his new lawyer). He is obviously supportive of Tom's widow, and he pulls strings to get Andrew a plump assignment at the Vatican.

5. Neri reluctantly went along with Vincent and Connies plan to
kill Zasa, but knowing Michael as he did, heprobably thought it would be better for Michael to give the order.

"Io sono stanco, sono imbigliato, and I wan't everyone here to know, there ain't gonna be no trouble from me..Don Corleone..Cicc' a port!"

"I stood in the courtroom like a fool."

"I am Constanza: Lord of the idiots."

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull