GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (Lou_Para), 303 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,490
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 23,923
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,512
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,333
Posts1,058,811
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
questionable deaths by shooting #439502
09/26/07 12:54 PM
09/26/07 12:54 PM
chicago
B
brickman_75 Offline OP
Associate
brickman_75  Offline OP
B
Associate
chicago
i always wondered how vito corleone took 6 or 7 bullets to the back and survived, but they trust barzini died from 2 to the back from a further distance. also, joey zasa( 3 to the back- assumed dead).
i mean... they WERE all dead, but when you get ONE chance to whack a boss, you want a guarantee! anyone have thoughts on this?

columbo_10
Re: questionable deaths by shooting [Re: brickman_75] #439513
09/26/07 01:52 PM
09/26/07 01:52 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
Welcome, Brickman.
The short answer is: filmic license. It made for greater drama. We expect that two Mob hitmen on a mission would empty their guns into their victim. But, Vito had to survive the shooting. Logic be damned. Arguably, a combination of Vito's heavy overcoat and layers of clothing, combined with sheer luck, might have allowed him to survive all those shots. Not likely, but the imperative was for FFC to produce a dramatic scene, and for Vito to survive.
And, you're right: there are plenty of illogical shooting techniques for the sake of drama. Why did Rocco and his associate need to use a pair of Madsden submachine guns to kill Tattaglia and the hooker he was in bed with from a distance of about five feet? Why would one guy (Neri), armed with just one six-shot revolver, be entrusted on a mission to kill (as it turned out) Barzini, a bodyguard and the chauffeur? Awfully thin margin. And his .38 Police Special is neither particularly powerful nor accurate at the distance he shot Barzini. Why did Clemenza need a shotgun (big, heavy, conspicuous) to whack Stracci and the other guy in the elevator, when a handgun would have been less conspicuous, lighter and easier on a fat old guy climbing stairs? My favorite anomaly in GF is FFC's homage to Arthur Penn ("Bonnie and Clyde") when he has Sonny riddled with about 100 rounds from Thompson submachine guns--and still able to stand, writhe, scream, etc. Tommyguns fired .45 ACP rounds--the proverbial "big, slow round." They are designed for knockdown power. Even one hit would have knocked Sonny to the ground.
Why? Drama! Visual impact! Fodder for people like you and me to post on. ;\)

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.
Re: questionable deaths by shooting [Re: Turnbull] #439514
09/26/07 02:03 PM
09/26/07 02:03 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
 Originally Posted By: Turnbull
Welcome, Brickman.
The short answer is: filmic license. It made for greater drama. We expect that two Mob hitmen on a mission would empty their guns into their victim. But, Vito had to survive the shooting. Logic be damned. Arguably, a combination of Vito's heavy overcoat and layers of clothing, combined with sheer luck, might have allowed him to survive all those shots. Not likely, but the imperative was for FFC to produce a dramatic scene, and for Vito to survive.
And, you're right: there are plenty of illogical shooting techniques for the sake of drama. Why did Rocco and his associate need to use a pair of Madsden submachine guns to kill Tattaglia and the hooker he was in bed with from a distance of about five feet? Why would one guy (Neri), armed with just one six-shot revolver, be entrusted on a mission to kill (as it turned out) Barzini, a bodyguard and the chauffeur? Awfully thin margin. And his .38 Police Special is neither particularly powerful nor accurate at the distance he shot Barzini. Why did Clemenza need a shotgun (big, heavy, conspicuous) to whack Stracci and the other guy in the elevator, when a handgun would have been less conspicuous, lighter and easier on a fat old guy climbing stairs? My favorite anomaly in GF is FFC's homage to Arthur Penn ("Bonnie and Clyde") when he has Sonny riddled with about 100 rounds from Thompson submachine guns--and still able to stand, writhe, scream, etc. Tommyguns fired .45 ACP rounds--the proverbial "big, slow round." They are designed for knockdown power. Even one hit would have knocked Sonny to the ground.
Why? Drama! Visual impact! Fodder for people like you and me to post on. ;\)

Good points. Authorial license plays a big part in films. Contrast Sonny's murder in the novel with the machine guns in the film. Gratuitous.

Also, to answer the original question: to be fatal to a person usually requires that a bullet penetrate an organ. Sometimes bullets don't strike an organ, but sever an artery and the person bleeds to death.

"Generosity. That was my first mistake."
"Experience must be our only guide; reason may mislead us."
"Instagram is Twitter for people who can't read."
Re: questionable deaths by shooting [Re: olivant] #439516
09/26/07 02:37 PM
09/26/07 02:37 PM
USA
J
JMDII Offline
Wiseguy
JMDII  Offline
J
Wiseguy
USA
In the book it says that not every bullet hit him in the back-some were in the thighs and his a**. Ouch!

JMD
Re: questionable deaths by shooting [Re: JMDII] #439920
09/27/07 10:07 PM
09/27/07 10:07 PM
Oklahoma
45ACP Offline
Button
45ACP  Offline
Button
Oklahoma
Not to mention the book says they got him in the leg and buttocks.

Re: questionable deaths by shooting [Re: 45ACP] #440028
09/28/07 10:54 AM
09/28/07 10:54 AM
In a van down by the river!
Longneck Offline
Longneck  Offline

In a van down by the river!
 Originally Posted By: 45ACP
Not to mention the book says they got him in the leg and buttocks.

Oh, yes sir. Bit me right in the buttocks. They said it was a million dollar wound, but the army must keep that money 'cause I still haven't seen a nickel of that million dollars.

Long as I remember The rain been coming down.
Clouds of Mystery pouring Confusion on the ground.
Good men through the ages, Trying to find the sun;
And I wonder, Still I wonder, Who'll stop the rain.

Re: questionable deaths by shooting [Re: Turnbull] #440095
09/28/07 08:28 PM
09/28/07 08:28 PM
No. Virginia
mustachepete Offline
Special
mustachepete  Offline
Special
Underboss
No. Virginia

Why did Rocco and his associate need to use a pair of Madsden submachine guns to kill Tattaglia and the hooker he was in bed with from a distance of about five feet?

Never liked that choice by Coppola because, in contrast to the book, it required the death of an innocent.

"All of these men were good listeners; patient men."
Re: questionable deaths by shooting [Re: mustachepete] #440102
09/28/07 09:02 PM
09/28/07 09:02 PM
New Jersey
AppleOnYa Offline
AppleOnYa  Offline

New Jersey
 Originally Posted By: mustachepete
...Never liked that choice by Coppola because, in contrast to the book, it required the death of an innocent.

Actually, Coppola did that again in GFII, when Geary's prostitute was murdered in order for him to be set up by the Corleones. Tom didn't seem to feel too bad about it, either.

Perhaps a subliminal message in there somewhere... TWO 'innocent' whores losing their lives while simply trying to make a living.

Any hookers killed in GFIII? (You see, Don Cardi...a part of the movie I actually DID NOT see! \:p )

Apple

Last edited by AppleOnYa; 09/28/07 09:03 PM.

A wise and frugal government, which shall leave men free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned - this is the sum of good government.

- THOMAS JEFFERSON

Re: questionable deaths by shooting [Re: AppleOnYa] #440109
09/28/07 09:27 PM
09/28/07 09:27 PM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club
 Originally Posted By: AppleOnYa
Any hookers killed in GFIII?

Yeah, Mary.

Don Cardi cool

Five - ten years from now, they're gonna wish there was American Cosa Nostra. Five - ten years from now, they're gonna miss John Gotti.

Re: questionable deaths by shooting [Re: AppleOnYa] #440247
09/29/07 06:21 PM
09/29/07 06:21 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
Perhaps a subliminal message in there somewhere... TWO 'innocent' whores losing their lives while simply trying to make a living.

Apple

Not-so-subliminal message: The innocents were dropping like flies after Michael took over.

Re: questionable deaths by shooting [Re: Turnbull] #440518
10/01/07 01:00 PM
10/01/07 01:00 PM
With Geary in Fredo's Brothel
dontomasso Offline
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline
Consigliere to the Stars

Apple

Not-so-subliminal message: The innocents were dropping like flies after Michael took over.

Come to think of it what ever became of Clemenza's concern for "pain in the ass innocent bystanders?"

"Io sono stanco, sono imbigliato, and I wan't everyone here to know, there ain't gonna be no trouble from me..Don Corleone..Cicc' a port!"

"I stood in the courtroom like a fool."

"I am Constanza: Lord of the idiots."

Re: questionable deaths by shooting [Re: dontomasso] #440539
10/01/07 02:06 PM
10/01/07 02:06 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
 Originally Posted By: dontomasso

Apple

Come to think of it what ever became of Clemenza's concern for "pain in the ass innocent bystanders?"

Evidently Michael found them to be a pain in the ass.

Re: questionable deaths by shooting [Re: Turnbull] #440553
10/01/07 02:42 PM
10/01/07 02:42 PM
dontomasso Offline
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline
Consigliere to the Stars

Evidently Michael found them to be a pain in the ass.

Everything reallly went to hell after Clemenza died of that non-heart attack.

"Io sono stanco, sono imbigliato, and I wan't everyone here to know, there ain't gonna be no trouble from me..Don Corleone..Cicc' a port!"

"I stood in the courtroom like a fool."

"I am Constanza: Lord of the idiots."

Re: questionable deaths by shooting [Re: mustachepete] #440614
10/01/07 09:16 PM
10/01/07 09:16 PM
No. Virginia
mustachepete Offline
Special
mustachepete  Offline
Special
Underboss
No. Virginia
 Originally Posted By: mustachepete

Never liked that choice by Coppola because, in contrast to the book, it required the death of an innocent.

Come to think about it, following the book would have required full-frontal by Tataglia. Coppola's always right....

"All of these men were good listeners; patient men."
Re: questionable deaths by shooting [Re: mustachepete] #463438
01/12/08 01:44 PM
01/12/08 01:44 PM
mercop Offline
Don
mercop  Offline
Don
Button
I am re-reading the godfather and I just read the shooting scene so here's how it went in the book. The Don was shot once in the back twise in the a** and one in his arm and leg. as for the baptisim the killing of Barzini I think he used the 38 spesial because that's what the cop's used.

"I'll reason with him" Vito Corleone

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull