GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (mustachepete), 249 guests, and 7 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,467
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 23,884
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,512
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,323
Posts1,058,596
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
‘Eastern’ Promises #439423
09/26/07 05:46 AM
09/26/07 05:46 AM
Sheffield UK
chopper Offline OP
Gaetano Lucchese
chopper  Offline OP
Gaetano Lucchese

Sheffield UK
Trailers for “Eastern Promises” depict the standard crime thriller: Someone, often an overeager newcomer, kills the one man no one can touch and, consequently, war breaks loose. The film, although centralized in a Russian crime family, tells no such tale. It is a story in which the line between good and evil is blurred. While films like “Goodfellas” leave you with one-liners and an irrational desire to join the mafia, the essence of “Eastern Promises” is much more troubling.

The film begins when an anonymous pregnant woman is rushed to a London hospital, suffering severe blood loss. Midwife Anna (Naomi Watts) cannot save the woman, but her child survives. The young mother leaves behind a diary filled with incriminating secrets surrounding a dominant Russian crime family. Anna hopes to translate the diary to locate the infant’s family.

In her quest to translate, she learns a dangerous amount of information and becomes entangled with the Russian mafia, particularly with the family’s driver and undertaker, Nikolai (Viggo Mortensen). As the plot intensifies, the focus of the film shifts toward Nikolai, whom the audience never fully learns to trust. “Eastern Promises” becomes an examination of Nikolai, a man both good and evil.

The film is unpredictable, leaving viewers as tense as the characters who cross this family’s path. Director David Cronenberg (“A History of Violence”) tells the story in a manner that keeps the audience as outsiders, to great effect. Excerpts from the Russian girl’s diary are narrated throughout the film, leaving viewers increasingly unsettled. This approach captures the deeper meaning behind the film, stimulating questions of human ownership, family ties and the power of ambition.

At one point in the film, Nikolai says to Anna, “Stay away from people like me.” This phrase invokes the central question of the film: Is Nikolai essentially a good man? Mortensen’s powerful and convincing portrayal destroys the barrier between right and wrong. While the audience sees Nikolai’s violence and brutality, empathy is also established for the character. Viewers leave the theater unsure of whether or not they liked Nikolai. This gray area between good and evil is precisely what makes the film troubling. Nikolai is believable, with inner conflicts and contradicting morals.

“Eastern Promises” commands attention. However, the degree of violence in the film is unusually graphic. Many particularly brutal scenes are unnecessary, leaving the audience uncomfortable and even slightly ill. For instance, the opening scene depicts a man violently slitting the throat of another man, with every gory detail provided. Nothing is left to the imagination.

There are crime movies and then there are movies like “Eastern Promises”—while the former deals with good guys and bad guys, the latter is of a more complicated nature.

Its characters blur the line between right and wrong, raising questions about the quest for happiness in a corrupt world. Post-movie conversations will inevitably arise.

However, for the squeamish viewer, the violence depicted in the film hinders any serious moral issues that may have been brought up. It is difficult to ponder the deeper meaning behind a film when one is watching through closed fingers. All in all, if one can stomach the bloodshed, “Eastern Promises” follows through on its promise.

http://www.dailycardinal.com/article/421

If i come across the table and take your f*****g eyes out ,will you remember

Aniello Dellacroce

TFI Lucky Star
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=uw-Uw0DUAGo

Happy Hardcore DJ Hixxy
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=4Pv7H4YkFKs
Re: ‘Eastern’ Promises [Re: chopper] #443264
10/12/07 11:46 PM
10/12/07 11:46 PM
New Jersey
A
a1 Offline
Button
a1  Offline
A
Button
New Jersey
Good David Cronenberg Flick-Great Viggo Mortensen performance

Re: ‘Eastern’ Promises [Re: a1] #443426
10/14/07 09:42 AM
10/14/07 09:42 AM
Newcastle-upon-Tyne UK
Yogi Barrabbas Offline
Yogi Barrabbas  Offline

Newcastle-upon-Tyne UK
Have seen the clips for it!
Looks good

I would rather die on my feet than live on my knees!
Re: ‘Eastern’ Promises [Re: Yogi Barrabbas] #453833
11/28/07 02:06 PM
11/28/07 02:06 PM
Gateshead, UK
Capo de La Cosa Nostra Offline
Capo de La Cosa Nostra  Offline

Gateshead, UK
Did anybody see this, then? I did, last week.

Eastern Promises
David Cronenberg | 2007 | UK/Canada/USA
--------------------------------------------------
A midwife follows up on the diary of a prostitute who died giving birth, and crosses paths with the Russian Mafia.
--------------------------------------------------
Cronenberg needs to start writing his own material again - perhaps then his films will be as succinct but not as contrived as this. Knight's script, on the one hand, provides an ample basis for the thematic grounding which interests the director (primarily, sexuality as the means by which identity is constructed and maintained), but it's far too short and story-driven to be of any lasting impact. There's not a scene wasted, and it's very riveting at times thanks to a weighty central performance from Mortensen (Mueller-Stahl is good too, though Watts disappoints), but as a whole it seems economic to a fault; perhaps it's a sign of the director moving further into foreign territory (for him and us both), into a more subtle style of filmmaking, one wherein thematic fabrics are presented in more structurally accessible frameworks, which is fair enough, but for me it might take a few viewings to adapt (A History of Violence worked for me because I took it to be about the medium itself, and its silly finale was effective and convincing). The representation of violence is unusually problematic, too: never one to shy away from disturbing imagery, the violence here takes on an almost parodic tone; the opening scene brought gasps from the (full capacity) screening I attended, which does well in portraying the danger and indifference of the culture portrayed (a reason why the Turkish bath scene is so tense when it finally happens), but as for the throat-slashing scene in the graveyard, its persistence to shock - the victim makes sure to pull down his scarf and bare all - seems forced and unnecessary. As for the Turkish bath scene itself, though, it's Cronenberg's most memorable sequence in years, and one of the best action scenes in general, too: visceral, fleshy and genuinely thrilling.

...dot com bold typeface rhetoric.
You go clickety click and get your head split.
'The hell you look like on a message board
Discussing whether or not the Brother is hardcore?
Re: ‘Eastern’ Promises [Re: Capo de La Cosa Nostra] #454042
11/29/07 05:08 PM
11/29/07 05:08 PM
UK, Little old Rotherham near ...
Zaf-the-don Offline
Capo di tutti i capi
Zaf-the-don  Offline
Capo di tutti i capi
Underboss
UK, Little old Rotherham near ...
Yep i saw it 3 weeks ago. It was ok, the violence is shocking but your right it does sometimes feel forced. i enjoyed it because of the short length even if the ending was too abrupt. I also didnt know anything about the Russian mob so it was good to go in unknown territory.

overall not bad but not the best.

Re: ‘Eastern’ Promises [Re: Zaf-the-don] #454314
11/30/07 03:50 PM
11/30/07 03:50 PM
In a van down by the river!
Longneck Offline
Longneck  Offline

In a van down by the river!
I'll rent this sometime when it comes out on dvd

Long as I remember The rain been coming down.
Clouds of Mystery pouring Confusion on the ground.
Good men through the ages, Trying to find the sun;
And I wonder, Still I wonder, Who'll stop the rain.

Re: ‘Eastern’ Promises [Re: Longneck] #455577
12/04/07 09:05 PM
12/04/07 09:05 PM
birmingham, uk
GottiMafia Offline
Button
GottiMafia  Offline
Button
birmingham, uk
i watched it last night and thought it was ok but did not like the ending )remind you of something?)

5-10 years from now, they're gonna miss John Gotti.

laugh now, cry later
Re: ‘Eastern’ Promises [Re: GottiMafia] #460429
12/31/07 04:22 PM
12/31/07 04:22 PM
Indiana
B
Bozak Offline
Wiseguy
Bozak  Offline
B
Wiseguy
Indiana
Saw it last week. Not good. I'll never understand how crappy movies like this get nominated for Golden Globes, Oscars, etc.

Re: ‘Eastern’ Promises [Re: Bozak] #460611
01/02/08 12:11 AM
01/02/08 12:11 AM
Gateshead, UK
Capo de La Cosa Nostra Offline
Capo de La Cosa Nostra  Offline

Gateshead, UK
"Not good"?

Care to elaborate? (I've notched it up a star since posting above, by the way.)

Last edited by Capo de La Cosa Nostra; 01/02/08 12:11 AM.

...dot com bold typeface rhetoric.
You go clickety click and get your head split.
'The hell you look like on a message board
Discussing whether or not the Brother is hardcore?
Re: ‘Eastern’ Promises [Re: GottiMafia] #460904
01/03/08 03:40 PM
01/03/08 03:40 PM
East Tennessee
R
ronnierocketAGO Offline
ronnierocketAGO  Offline
R

East Tennessee
 Originally Posted By: GottiMafia
i watched it last night and thought it was ok but did not like the ending )remind you of something?)

Oh you peasants, this is the fucking CASABLANCA of this decade.

To quote Kurt Angle...

"It's true, its DAMN true!"

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull