GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
2 registered members (2 invisible), 574 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,618
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 24,121
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,518
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,384
Posts1,059,724
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Brindiamo #438432
09/23/07 11:09 AM
09/23/07 11:09 AM
Bar Vitelli, Queens, NY
Signor Vitelli Offline OP
Underboss
Signor Vitelli  Offline OP
Underboss
Bar Vitelli, Queens, NY
What, you may ask, is Brindiamo?

If you live in the NYC-metro area, or the greater Philadelphia area (which also takes in parts of NJ and Delaware), you may find this little show quite interesting.

The problem is, it is only carried on two PBS stations: WNYE (aka NYC-TV, Saturdays at 10:30am) in New York, and WYBE (Tuesdays at 2:00pm) in Philadelphia.

Simply put, Brindiamo is a show dedicated to Italian restaurants. Hosted by Ornella Fado (who is from Italy), each episode features a spotlight on a single restaurant, an interview with the owner(s), a conversation with the chef, and some nice cooking where the chef prepares a few dishes in the restaurant's kitchen (usually with Ornella acting as assistant).

By the end of this half-hour show, you're hungry. (And do you know what it's like to be ravenously craving a multi-course Italian dinner at 11:00am? Oh...you do? Well...never mind.)

90% of the restaurants featured seem to be in Manhattan, though she occasionally goes to the outer boroughs, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Washington DC, and back to the source: Italy. If I have any complaints, it's (a) I wish she'd travel a little more - though I imagine the show's low budget may be a factor here, and (b) She seems to mostly concentrate on slightly more "upscale" places, and we all know there are oft-times gems to be found in small, local establishments.

Click here for the show's website. You can also see a list of the restaurants that have been featured on the show.

Interestingly enough, the most recent show I saw featured a restaurant in Jersey City that was well-known to several BB members: Casa Dante. Right after Christmas, 2005, the restaurant changed hands. The new owners (who had been long-time customers) did some renovation, brought in a new chef and revamped the menu. Executive Chef Gregg Freda ("I was Freda? I don't think so." ) had been with Panico's in New Brunswick for many years - in fact, his uncle owned the place until his death. Small world.

Be advised: If you check out the menu for Casa Dante on their website, there are no prices listed. (Well, that lets me out! Now, to me, that's almost like saying, "If you really want to know what it costs, then you probably can't afford us." \:\/ )

Anyway, if your local cable company carries those PBS stations (or you receive them over-the-air), definitely check out Brindiamo.

Signor V.

"For me, there's only my wife..."

"Sure I cook with wine - sometimes I even add it to the food!"

"When life itself seems lunatic, who knows where madness lies?"

"It was a grass harp... And we listened."

"Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it? Every, every minute?"

"No. Saints and poets, maybe... they do some."

Re: Brindiamo [Re: Signor Vitelli] #438438
09/23/07 11:46 AM
09/23/07 11:46 AM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club
 Originally Posted By: Signor Vitelli

Interestingly enough, the most recent show I saw featured a restaurant in Jersey City that was well-known to several BB members: Casa Dante.

Be advised: If you check out the menu for Casa Dante on their website, there are no prices listed. (Well, that lets me out! Now, to me, that's almost like saying, "If you really want to know what it costs, then you probably can't afford us." \:\/ )

An excellent restaurant that Plawrence turned us on to. One of his favorites that also has become one of mine.

Signor, don't be fooled by their practice of NOT listing the prices on their website menu. I can tell you first hand, and I am sure that the others who have been there will agree with me, that the prices at Casa Dante are very reasonable. No higher than the average neighborhood restaurant.

I highly recommend this place. Did I mention that they make the best garlic bread in the tri state area?

I've always loved one of the reviews given on Casa Dante that said: If you're a lawmaker, business bigwig or aspiring wiseguy, chances are you've already been to Casa Dante.

The place really does have that kind of atmosphere.

Thanks for the information about this Television show. I will definitely have to check it out next weekend.

Don Cardi cool

Five - ten years from now, they're gonna wish there was American Cosa Nostra. Five - ten years from now, they're gonna miss John Gotti.

Re: Brindiamo [Re: Don Cardi] #438452
09/23/07 02:13 PM
09/23/07 02:13 PM
New York
Sicilian Babe Offline
Sicilian Babe  Offline

New York
Sounds like a great show. LOVED Casa Dante. I have very fond memories of being there. And what an odd connection to Panico's!!

I'll have to keep the show in mind. Thanks, SV.

President Emeritus of the Neal Pulcawer Fan Club
Re: Brindiamo [Re: Don Cardi] #438483
09/23/07 04:17 PM
09/23/07 04:17 PM
Bar Vitelli, Queens, NY
Signor Vitelli Offline OP
Underboss
Signor Vitelli  Offline OP
Underboss
Bar Vitelli, Queens, NY
 Originally Posted By: Don Cardi
I highly recommend this place. Did I mention that they make the best garlic bread in the tri state area?

As a matter of fact, I just heard this earlier today from SC. Now, that's high marks from plaw, SC, SB, and you. Very persuasive.

Originally Posted By: Don Cardi
I've always loved one of the reviews given on Casa Dante that said: If you're a lawmaker, business bigwig or aspiring wiseguy, chances are you've already been to Casa Dante.

The place really does have that kind of atmosphere.

"Try the veal. It's the best in the city."

Signor V.

"For me, there's only my wife..."

"Sure I cook with wine - sometimes I even add it to the food!"

"When life itself seems lunatic, who knows where madness lies?"

"It was a grass harp... And we listened."

"Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it? Every, every minute?"

"No. Saints and poets, maybe... they do some."

Re: Brindiamo [Re: Signor Vitelli] #438486
09/23/07 04:22 PM
09/23/07 04:22 PM
New York
Sicilian Babe Offline
Sicilian Babe  Offline

New York
Well, I see she reviewed Marcello's, which is in my neck of the woods. It's a good place, and Marcello himself is a local celebrity; however, I've never been all that impressed with the place. It's not that the food is BAD, far from it. But given the fuss and the fame, I would expect it to be blown away by the food, and I never have been. It's good, but I don't consider it great.

President Emeritus of the Neal Pulcawer Fan Club

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull