GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (JCrusher), 574 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,618
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 24,123
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,518
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,384
Posts1,059,725
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Gordon Ramsay's TV Shows #438203
09/22/07 01:18 PM
09/22/07 01:18 PM
Bar Vitelli, Queens, NY
Signor Vitelli Offline OP
Underboss
Signor Vitelli  Offline OP
Underboss
Bar Vitelli, Queens, NY
I have to admit, Ramsay is one of my guilty pleasures. I've watched Hell's Kitchen since the beginning.

Last week, his new show, Kitchen Nightmares had its debut on Fox. He went to Babylon, Long Island, to work with a family-run Italian restaurant. The son (who ran the place with his sister) was like something out of a bad gangster film - he had a temper that made Sonny Corleone look like Mahatma Gandhi. Of course, everything came out all right in the end.

(I've never seen the original UK version of the show - for some mysterious reason my local cable company doesn't carry the BBC America channel, while most other local cable companies do.)

Anybody else here watch his shows?

Signor V.

"For me, there's only my wife..."

"Sure I cook with wine - sometimes I even add it to the food!"

"When life itself seems lunatic, who knows where madness lies?"

"It was a grass harp... And we listened."

"Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it? Every, every minute?"

"No. Saints and poets, maybe... they do some."

Re: Gordon Ramsay's TV Shows [Re: Signor Vitelli] #438326
09/22/07 09:27 PM
09/22/07 09:27 PM
It's fun to stay in the YMCA
Turi Giuliano Offline
Turi Giuliano  Offline

It's fun to stay in the YMCA
I've been to one of his Kitchen Nightmare pubs he's sorted out and I've got to say the food was brilliant. A little expensive but you get your money's worth. The starter alone was almost a meal and then the main course was huge. It was real quality food from local producers. I couldn't recommend the Fenwick Arms just outside of Lancaster enough.

Oh and Vitelli, I'm a huge Ramsey fan. Although his face needs ironing.

Last edited by Turi Giuliano; 09/22/07 09:27 PM.

So die all who betray Giuliano
Re: Gordon Ramsay's TV Shows [Re: Turi Giuliano] #438386
09/23/07 04:51 AM
09/23/07 04:51 AM
Bar Vitelli, Queens, NY
Underboss
Underboss
Bar Vitelli, Queens, NY
I don't know how it is in the UK, but the US version of Hell's Kitchen only gets one airing. If you miss an episode, it does not get repeated. Well, that's not totally accurate - sometimes a show will be rebroadcast the following week right before the newest installment. But, this doesn't always happen. And, since it is a competition, that's possibly the reason why each season as a whole isn't repeated; we already know the outcome. But, I'm just guessing.

I don't know if this will be the way Fox handles Kitchen Nightmares, but I can always pop a tape in the ol' VCR. (That is, if I remember.) The UK version of Kitchen Nightmares seems to get repeated showings over here when it airs on the BBC America channel - which, again, my local cable company doesn't carry (*cough*cough*SC*cough*cough*).

Gordon Ramsay recently opened a new restaurant here in NYC. It's at a refurbished hotel now called The London, and I have a friend who works there. Not at the actual restaurant, but in the hotel's bookkeeping department. Every couple of weeks, Ramsay's accounting people come to visit and they go over the books. Ramsay himself checks the restaurant around once a month, from what my friend tells me. He's never actually met him, though. Every description of the hotel and the restaurant uses the word "upscale" over and over - which, in this case, is really a euphemism for "Way too damned expensive for most of us mere mortals."

Originally Posted By: Turi Giuliano
I'm a huge Ramsey fan. Although his face needs ironing.

Signor V.

"Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it? Every, every minute?"

Re: Gordon Ramsay's TV Shows [Re: Signor Vitelli] #440085
09/28/07 07:46 PM
09/28/07 07:46 PM
Bar Vitelli, Queens, NY
Underboss
Underboss
Bar Vitelli, Queens, NY
I've carried this over from the other (locked) thread:

Originally Posted By: J Geoff
Anyone watch last night's most horribly disgusting episode of Kitchen Nightmares (FOX, Wed 9pm)? It's AMAZING how Ramsay was able to get that ship back in order!

First time I've seen this show (new season just started), but after getting hooked on Hell's Kitchen, I figured I'd check it out. Apparently you can watch complete episodes on their site, too.

This was the second episode - I think you'd really enjoy the premiere show, if it is available on the Fox website, that is.

The episode that just aired (the Indian restaurant, formerly Dillon's) caused a lawsuit even before the show's debut: Martin Hyde, the manager who quit, filed suit against Ramsay, et al, alleging that he was forced to resign and was made a scapegoat. He also said that the production company faked scenes showing how unsanitary the restaurant was (he claimed the rotting meat and the defective chairs were planted), and that the "relaunching" dinner customers were not actual restaurant patrons, but extras paid by the producers.

Actually, if you read the tiny print in the closing credits, you will find that the producers admit as much - that they pay the dinner charges for people at times. They also admit that some scenes are shown out of chronological order, too. (And did you notice there was one waitress who wouldn't allow her image to be used in the program? Her face was always blurred out.)

As for the lawsuit, a Manhattan Federal Court judge threw it out (with Hyde's consent) in early August. The judge said that, as per the contract that everyone signed, disputes like this would have to be settled by arbitration. (I guess when you agree to be part of Kitchen Nightmares, you have to sign away your right to sue.)

Signor V.

Last edited by Signor Vitelli; 09/29/07 10:50 AM. Reason: Added information.

Re: Gordon Ramsay's TV Shows [Re: Signor Vitelli] #441291
10/05/07 01:07 AM
10/05/07 01:07 AM
Bar Vitelli, Queens, NY
Underboss
Underboss
Bar Vitelli, Queens, NY
Interesting episode of Kitchen Nightmares this week:

For once, the restaurant's problems had nothing whatsoever to do with cleanliness - nary a cockroach to be found! Nice change of pace.

The restaurant, this time, had to overcome a "tired" menu, too much competition (that did not exist when they opened ten years ago), and, basically had to find its new "voice".

There were no fistfights, nobody got fired, no one was fed spoiled food, etc. Interesting show, IMO.

There was one nagging question left unresolved, though: If the manager was going to stay on (and had undergone a major attitude readjustment), was he still going to pocket 50% of everyone's tips? I felt they shouldn't have left that hanging, especially since it seemed such a bone of contention among the wait staff.

Signor V.

Re: Gordon Ramsay's TV Shows [Re: Signor Vitelli] #441305
10/05/07 03:05 AM
10/05/07 03:05 AM
New Jersey, USA
J Geoff Offline
The Don
J Geoff  Offline
The Don

New Jersey, USA

I didn't watch the show yet, but a manager taking 50% of the waitstaff's tips???? WTF is that??? The manager gets a (good) salary, he doesn't need tips. The bartenders and waitstaff should get the tips....

...but after watching the episode I'll let you know if I change my mind... ;\)

I studied Italian for 2 semesters. Not once was a "C" pronounced as a "G", and never was a trailing "I" ignored! And I'm from Jersey! tongue lol

Whaddaya want me to do? Whack a guy? Off a guy? Whack off a guy? --Peter Griffin

My DVDs | Facebook | Godfather Filming Locations
Re: Gordon Ramsay's TV Shows [Re: J Geoff] #442952
10/11/07 11:04 PM
10/11/07 11:04 PM
Bar Vitelli, Queens, NY
Underboss
Underboss
Bar Vitelli, Queens, NY
Another interesting episode of Kitchen Nightmares.

This time it was out to Islip, Long Island to fix a seafood restaurant that had been around for forty years.

I'll hide some of the Spoilers, but first, a couple of comments:

That mother/son combination reminded me of Norman Bates and his mother. Honestly, here was a woman who could be sweet one minute, then in the blink of an eye turn into Queen Bee-yotch (usually directed toward her son). I could see him murdering her one day and keeping her stuffed body in a secret walk-in freezer.

What really impressed me was the physical transformation in the place. It looked 100% more inviting. (Well, except maybe for those strange "curtains" around the windows.)

It seemed as if the life and spirit had gone out of the place when the owner/chef died two years previously. At least, that was the impression we got. But, it appeared to me that the restaurant's decline happened over a period of time far longer than two years. And that arrogant chef and useless sous-chef - how long had they been there? When their chef refused to eat what Ramsay had prepared, well, that was a real slap in the face. I don't care how long you've been cooking professionally - if Gordon Ramsay could show me a better way to boil water, I'd be all ears.

Warning, Spoiler:
I really felt bad for the son of the late owner. Gordon had to try and make a man out of a mouse. But, he did try. The best thing was the firing of the chef and sous-chef. It really did seem like with a fresh decor, new chef and revamped menu the restaurant could flourish. I was quite surprised when they said at the end how the son ended up selling the restaurant five months after the episode was filmed. But, still, having a mother like that around would probably make me think seriously about selling. (I'd also think seriously about matricide.)

I think, when all is said and done, that after watching Kitchen Nightmares, I will think twice about going out to eat at any restaurant! Perhaps this wasn't the producers' intent, but that's how I'm starting to feel!

Unless, however, Don Cardi gives it his personal recommendation... ;\)

Signor V.

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull