GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 285 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,497
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 23,930
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,512
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,337
Posts1,058,852
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: Favorite Pre-1970 Horror Movies [Re: Don Cardi] #428414
08/23/07 07:50 PM
08/23/07 07:50 PM
Right here, but I'd rather be ...
long_lost_corleone Offline
Underboss
long_lost_corleone  Offline
Underboss
 Originally Posted By: Don Cardi

That whole series of Universal Horror films from back then was just fantastic.

Cardi, you should look into Universal's Legacy Collection DVD series. They really are a fantastic collection of boxed sets that put together all of the great Universal horror films, categorized by monster. I personally own three of the sets--Frankenstein, Dracula, and The Wolf Man--and between the three sets I have 14 films. I'm fairly certain other sets have been added to the series as well. It's an excellent collection of films; most definitely worth the money.

"Somebody told me when the bomb hits, everybody in a two mile radius will be instantly sublimated, but if you lay face down on the ground for some time, avoiding the residual ripples of heat, you might survive, permanently fucked up and twisted like you're always underwater refracted. But if you do go gas, there's nothing you can do if the air that was once you is mingled and mashed with the kicked up molecules of the enemy's former body. Big-kid-tested, motherf--ker approved."
Re: Favorite Pre-1970 Horror Movies [Re: Beth E] #428415
08/23/07 07:53 PM
08/23/07 07:53 PM
New York
SC Offline
Consigliere
SC  Offline
Consigliere

New York
 Originally Posted By: Beth E

I actually was thinking about the movie "The Blob" when I saw this thread. I remember seeing it as a little girl. I can only assume they made a remake. This would have been in the 1970's, or perhaps they just showed the old movie. Don't know as I can't remember who was in the movie I saw.

They did a remake (that had some pretty good special effects) but it wasn't as campy as the original.

Re: Favorite Pre-1970 Horror Movies [Re: long_lost_corleone] #428416
08/23/07 08:02 PM
08/23/07 08:02 PM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline OP
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline OP
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club
 Originally Posted By: long_lost_corleone

That whole series of Universal Horror films from back then was just fantastic.

Cardi, you should look into Universal's Legacy Collection DVD series. They really are a fantastic collection of boxed sets that put together all of the great Universal horror films, categorized by monster. I personally own three of the sets--Frankenstein, Dracula, and The Wolf Man--and between the three sets I have 14 films. I'm fairly certain other sets have been added to the series as well. It's an excellent collection of films; most definitely worth the money.

Thanks LLC. I actually bought the complete special edition boxed set that contained all the classic Universal Frankenstein, Dracula and Wolfman movies when it first came out. They even threw in a set of ceramic busts of Dracula, Frankenstein and The Wolfman.

I just gave those 3 busts to my nephew who has a newfound interest in the universal monsters.

While I enjoy all of those movies, for some reason I really enjoy House of Frankenstein.

Don Cardi cool

Five - ten years from now, they're gonna wish there was American Cosa Nostra. Five - ten years from now, they're gonna miss John Gotti.

Re: Favorite Pre-1970 Horror Movies [Re: SC] #428417
08/23/07 08:10 PM
08/23/07 08:10 PM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline OP
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline OP
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club
 Originally Posted By: SC
The 50's had great B horror movies, too, that attained some sort of cult status. While they weren't very good, they were entertaining.

"The Creature From the Black Lagoon" - a laugher about a "gill man" in the Everglades.

A cult favorite! They made a few more Creature movies after that one : Revenge Of The Creature and The Creature Walks Among Us.

As you said, Cult B movies that were very entertaining.

Does anyone remember a movie with Peter Lorre called The Beast With Five Fingers?

Don Cardi cool

Five - ten years from now, they're gonna wish there was American Cosa Nostra. Five - ten years from now, they're gonna miss John Gotti.

Re: Favorite Pre-1970 Horror Movies [Re: Don Cardi] #428421
08/23/07 08:24 PM
08/23/07 08:24 PM
long_lost_corleone Offline
Underboss
long_lost_corleone  Offline
Underboss

While I enjoy all of those movies, for some reason I really enjoy House of Frankenstein.

I just watched that last night, actually, in attempt to watch all of the films included on the sets I mentioned in chronological order.

Yes. I really had nothing better to do. \:p

"Somebody told me when the bomb hits, everybody in a two mile radius will be instantly sublimated, but if you lay face down on the ground for some time, avoiding the residual ripples of heat, you might survive, permanently fucked up and twisted like you're always underwater refracted. But if you do go gas, there's nothing you can do if the air that was once you is mingled and mashed with the kicked up molecules of the enemy's former body. Big-kid-tested, motherf--ker approved."
Re: Favorite Pre-1970 Horror Movies [Re: long_lost_corleone] #428422
08/23/07 08:48 PM
08/23/07 08:48 PM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline OP
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline OP
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club
Check out House Of Dracula.

Don Cardi cool

Re: Favorite Pre-1970 Horror/Sci-Fi Movies [Re: Don Cardi] #428424
08/23/07 08:59 PM
08/23/07 08:59 PM
California
The Italian Stallionette Offline
The Italian Stallionette  Offline

California
You guys have mentioned all good ones so far.

I'll add "Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde with Spencer Tracey. I was just a kid when I saw that movie. I went to bed that night, forgot to take my glasses off, but was too scared to jump out of bed to put them on the dresser. My dad came in during the night and removed them fore me. It's been almost as many years since I've seen it though.

I too liked The Day The Earth Stood Still, and although kind of corny, "The Blob" (Steve McQueen version) is one of my favorites. I remember watching The Creature from The Black Lagoon and enjoying that one as well.

The Vampire movies and Werewolf movies are probably my favorite "monster" type movies I guess. Although Frankenstein is pretty cool too.
\:\)

TIS

"Mankind must put an end to war before war puts an end to mankind. War will exist until that distant day when the conscientious objector enjoys the same reputation and prestige that the warrior does today." JFK

"War is over, if you want it" - John Lennon

Re: Favorite Pre-1970 Horror/Sci-Fi Movies [Re: The Italian Stallionette] #428433
08/23/07 09:40 PM
08/23/07 09:40 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
The Day the Earth Stood Still is just about my favorite. It was somewhat controversial so they had to change the dialogue in the scene where Klaatu comes back to life.

"Generosity. That was my first mistake."
"Experience must be our only guide; reason may mislead us."
"Instagram is Twitter for people who can't read."
Re: Favorite Pre-1970 Horror/Sci-Fi Movies [Re: olivant] #428435
08/23/07 09:49 PM
08/23/07 09:49 PM
California

California
I never saw The Day The Earth Stood Still at the movies.

They use to have Saturday Night At The Movies(anyone remember?) tv show with a more recent popular movie and I remember the family gathered around the tv to watch it. Myself and my brother are really the only ones who enjoy horror/sci-fi, but this was like a big deal because everyone in the family watched it. \:\)

TIS

"Mankind must put an end to war before war puts an end to mankind. War will exist until that distant day when the conscientious objector enjoys the same reputation and prestige that the warrior does today." JFK

Re: Favorite Pre-1970 Horror Movies [Re: long_lost_corleone] #428449
08/23/07 10:44 PM
08/23/07 10:44 PM
East Tennessee
R
ronnierocketAGO Offline
ronnierocketAGO  Offline
R

East Tennessee
Recently, I've been getting into Roger Corman's Poe-adaptations he shot for AIP in the 1960s with ole Vincent Price, with THE MASQUE OF THE RED DEATH my favorite so far. No surprise, the great Nicholas Roeg, in his early days, was Corman's DP.

Seriously, Price was one of those guys who whenever he appeared in a movie, he just fucking dominates it away from everyone. He was that awesome. Imagine Bruce Campbell, but with theatrical training...and a better career.

Last edited by ronnierocketAGO; 08/23/07 10:45 PM.
Re: Favorite Pre-1970 Horror Movies [Re: ronnierocketAGO] #428450
08/23/07 10:48 PM
08/23/07 10:48 PM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline OP
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline OP
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club
 Originally Posted By: ronnierocketAGO

Seriously, Price was one of those guys who whenever he appeared in a movie, he just fucking dominates it away from everyone. He was that awesome.

So true Ronnie. I couldn't agree more. He is probably one of my, if not my, most favorite horror movie actor of all time.

Don Cardi cool

Re: Favorite Pre-1970 Horror/Sci-Fi Movies [Re: The Italian Stallionette] #428451
08/23/07 10:55 PM
08/23/07 10:55 PM
Bar Vitelli, Queens, NY
Signor Vitelli Offline
Underboss
Signor Vitelli  Offline
Underboss
Bar Vitelli, Queens, NY
While the 1941 version of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde (with Spencer Tracy) is good, I've always preferred the earlier 1932 version with Fredric March. After years of being supressed (because MGM had bought the rights from Paramount for their 1941 remake and didn't want competition), and then shown only in a censored version, the film was finally fully restored several years ago. This is the version that TCM shows. And, BTW, I've read lots of "explanations" of how the Jekyll-to-Hyde transformations were achieved, and nobody gets it right! And yes, I know how they did them - it's actually quite obvious (though no less brilliant) if you study the film closely.

The Beast With Five Fingers (1946) was a lot of fun, but the ending was a bit of a letdown. I'm not going to give it away if anyone out there hasn't seen the film. Nothing quite beats the shots of a dismembered hand playing the piano (left hand only) in the middle of the night! Any film starring Peter Lorre is worth a look.

Abbott & Costello Meet Frankenstein is one of my all-time favorites. Even though the moving candle bit was re-used from Hold That Ghost, the film is still a classic. Great line: "Hey Chick - you know that person you said there's no such person? I think he's in there, in person!" In fact, just about every line is great!

The Vampire (1957). Not many people remember this one. It was always shown on TV as Mark of the Vampire, but should not be confused with the 1935 MGM film of the same title. This one starred John Beal as a small-town doctor who gets infected by a bat's bite and periodically changes into a Horrible Bloodsucking Fiend. This one used to turn up a lot on NYC television's Chiller Theater on WPIX in the early 1960s. Back in 1935, Beal had starred with Katharine Hepburn in The Little Minister. By the late '50s, he was reduced to appearing in low-budget stuff like this - but the film was still good for a few scary moments.

The Island of Lost Souls (1932): The House of Pain! First - and best - adaptation of H.G. Wells's The Island of Dr. Moreau. "What is the Law?" "Law no more!" (Hell, I turn an animal into a human being every time I shave...)

More later.

Signor V.

"For me, there's only my wife..."

"Sure I cook with wine - sometimes I even add it to the food!"

"When life itself seems lunatic, who knows where madness lies?"

"It was a grass harp... And we listened."

"Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it? Every, every minute?"

"No. Saints and poets, maybe... they do some."

Re: Favorite Pre-1970 Horror Movies [Re: Don Cardi] #428452
08/23/07 11:01 PM
08/23/07 11:01 PM
Some anonymous motel room.
Don Vercetti Offline
Don Vercetti  Offline

Some anonymous motel room.
 Originally Posted By: Turnbull
 Originally Posted By: Don Vercetti
The best horror film is pre-1970.
You're right--I should have added it to my list. Absolutely the best Drac film ever. Incredibly eerie and chilling.

The vampire in that movie was probably the closest to ever look like the original Nosferatu.

Actually Cardi, Werner Herzog's remake of Nosferatu probably looks the most similar, with Klaus Kinski playing the title role.

Last edited by Don Vercetti; 08/23/07 11:05 PM.

Proud Member of the Gangster BB Bratpack - Fighting Elitism and Ignorance Since 2006
Re: Favorite Pre-1970 Horror/Sci-Fi Movies [Re: The Italian Stallionette] #428455
08/23/07 11:19 PM
08/23/07 11:19 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
 Originally Posted By: The Italian Stallionette
I never saw The Day The Earth Stood Still at the movies.

They use to have Saturday Night At The Movies(anyone remember?) tv show with a more recent popular movie and I remember the family gathered around the tv to watch it. Myself and my brother are really the only ones who enjoy horror/sci-fi, but this was like a big deal because everyone in the family watched it. \:\)

TIS

Yes, I remember SNATM. In fact, wasn't it during one of them that The Godfather was first broadcast on TV (BC = before cable)?

Re: Favorite Pre-1970 Horror Movies [Re: Don Vercetti] #428457
08/23/07 11:34 PM
08/23/07 11:34 PM
Bar Vitelli, Queens, NY
Signor Vitelli Offline
Underboss
Signor Vitelli  Offline
Underboss
Bar Vitelli, Queens, NY
As far as science-fiction films, here are just a few of my personal favorites from the "early days":

Metropolis (1926): Simply a magnificent film. I will add, however, that I absolutely hated the version that had the "score" by Giorgio Moroder. I felt that was an absolute travesty. Some may think I'm narrow minded, and that is their right; it's just my opinion.

Just Imagine (1930): I first saw this in 1970 at NYC's Museum of Modern Art. Almost 20 years ago, a local PBS station showed it once. It's a dated, corny, sexist, sci-fi musical starring a very young Maureen O'Sullivan and the now-forgotten John Garrick.

The Mysterious Island (1929): Shot as a silent film, a few talking sequences were quickly inserted when it became obvious that silent movies were rapidly going the way of the dinosaur. Not pure Jules Verne by any means, but still quite entertaining. Originally in two-color Technicolor, it's shown on TCM in b&w. (Only one color reel survives and is held at the UCLA Film & Television Archives.)

Things to Come (1936): Only a 93 minute version of this film seems to survive (at least in the US), and most available prints are public-domain. Pity. I've always liked this one; it used to turn up a lot on public television. Here's an interesting bit of trivia: The role of Theotocopolous was originally shot with Ernest Thesiger, but his scenes were scrapped and he was replaced by Sir Cedric Hardwicke. Evidently, the powers-that-be wanted a name with more "marquee value".

Signor V.

"Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it? Every, every minute?"

Re: Favorite Pre-1970 Horror Movies [Re: Signor Vitelli] #428458
08/24/07 12:11 AM
08/24/07 12:11 AM
East Tennessee
R
ronnierocketAGO Offline
ronnierocketAGO  Offline
R

East Tennessee
 Originally Posted By: Signor Vitelli
As far as science-fiction films, here are just a few of my personal favorites from the "early days":

Metropolis (1926): Simply a magnificent film. I will add, however, that I absolutely hated the version that had the "score" by Giorgio Moroder. I felt that was an absolute travesty. Some may think I'm narrow minded, and that is their right; it's just my opinion.

Just Imagine (1930): I first saw this in 1970 at NYC's Museum of Modern Art. Almost 20 years ago, a local PBS station showed it once. It's a dated, corny, sexist, sci-fi musical starring a very young Maureen O'Sullivan and the now-forgotten John Garrick.

The Mysterious Island (1929): Shot as a silent film, a few talking sequences were quickly inserted when it became obvious that silent movies were rapidly going the way of the dinosaur. Not pure Jules Verne by any means, but still quite entertaining. Originally in two-color Technicolor, it's shown on TCM in b&w. (Only one color reel survives and is held at the UCLA Film & Television Archives.)

Things to Come (1936): Only a 93 minute version of this film seems to survive (at least in the US), and most available prints are public-domain. Pity. I've always liked this one; it used to turn up a lot on public television. Here's an interesting bit of trivia: The role of Theotocopolous was originally shot with Ernest Thesiger, but his scenes were scrapped and he was replaced by Sir Cedric Hardwicke. Evidently, the powers-that-be wanted a name with more "marquee value".

Signor V.

No, you're right about that wretched Moroder score.

Re: Favorite Pre-1970 Horror Movies [Re: ronnierocketAGO] #428465
08/24/07 01:41 AM
08/24/07 01:41 AM
New York
SC Offline
Consigliere
SC  Offline
Consigliere

New York
Another fun "monster movie" of the period was "Gorgo". A giant dinosaur is released by a volcanic explosion and is captured alive and brought to London to appear in a "circus". They then discover that the giant is only a baby and its mother is coming after it!!! ("Mommy" tears London up getting her baby back).

Re: Favorite Pre-1970 Horror Movies [Re: SC] #428481
08/24/07 04:39 AM
08/24/07 04:39 AM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline OP
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline OP
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club

"The Thing" (1951) - its fast paced dialogue (possibly the best in any sci-fi/monster flick), fine acting and awesome score (by Dmitri Tiomkin) absolutely rock! It always makes me shiver.

I love the 1951 version of "The Thing from another world"

James Arness has such a presence the few times that he is on screen in that movie. I think that his not overdoing it and not appearing too much throughout the movie is what makes it such a thriller.

As you mentioned, the score rocks and it adds such great anticipation, the building up of fear, everytime The Thing is about to enter the scene.

I can remember being a kid and watching this movie for the first time, late at night with my father, and loving it.

Don Cardi cool

Re: Favorite Pre-1970 Horror Movies [Re: Don Cardi] #428563
08/24/07 01:37 PM
08/24/07 01:37 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
I had forgotten about Gorgo and The Thing. That was James Arness as The Thing who went on to become Marshall Dillon in Gunsmoke

Re: Favorite Pre-1970 Horror Movies [Re: olivant] #428572
08/24/07 01:50 PM
08/24/07 01:50 PM
New York
SC Offline
Consigliere
SC  Offline
Consigliere

New York
 Originally Posted By: olivant
That was James Arness as The Thing who went on to become Marshall Dillon in Gunsmoke

Yep... he also appeared in "Them" (as an FBI agent) in 1954. I think thats when he started starring in "Gunsmoke".

Re: Favorite Pre-1970 Horror Movies [Re: SC] #428579
08/24/07 02:09 PM
08/24/07 02:09 PM
Bar Vitelli, Queens, NY
Signor Vitelli Offline
Underboss
Signor Vitelli  Offline
Underboss
Bar Vitelli, Queens, NY
Another fun "monster movie" of the period was "Gorgo".

I have mixed feelings about Gorgo. When I was little, it turned up a lot on "Million Dollar Move" on Channel 9 in NYC. I saw it several times. Then, around ten years ago, I caught it on cable and was surprised at how much of the film (close to 40%, I'd say) was made up of stock footage. When you're a kid these things don't register, but as an adult it was impossible to ignore. Still, I probably wouldn't mind seeing it again.

Decided to watch House of Dracula last night. For some reason ol' Larry Talbot has a moustache in this one. So, how come when he transforms into the Wolf Man it mysteriously disappears even though hair is now growing on every other part of him? But I really shouldn't look too hard for continuity in this film: Both Dracula and the Wolf Man turn up out of the blue (and seeking medical cures for their conditions) after being killed off in the previous film (House of Frankenstein). But the film is enjoyable, nevertheless. And Chaney even gets the girl!

This Island Earth (1955) is one of my favorites from the '50s. It doesn't seem to get much mention anymore, with a lot of attention going to The Thing and The Day the Earth Stood Still. Don't get me wrong, those films are classics - but I think This Island Earth has been unjustly neglected lately.

The Tingler (1959): Anything with Vincent Price is worth watching. If you can get over the silly-looking monster (I'm sure Iron Chef Morimoto could have made ten different sushi dishes out of it), it's great fun. Really needs to be seen in a theatre for the best effect, though. ("Scream! Scream for your lives!") And, how about the scene where Price drops acid? ("The waaaallllllls!!") Definitely a little gem.

Signor V.

Re: Favorite Pre-1970 Horror Movies [Re: Signor Vitelli] #428581
08/24/07 02:12 PM
New York
SC Offline
Consigliere
SC  Offline
Consigliere

New York
The Tingler (1959): Anything with Vincent Price is worth watching. If you can get over the silly-looking monster (I'm sure Iron Chef Morimoto could have made ten different sushi dishes out of it), it's great fun.

If thats the one that attaches to your spine when you're scared, it IS an absolute gem!!

Re: Favorite Pre-1970 Horror/Sci-Fi Movies [Re: The Italian Stallionette] #428582
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
The DVD of "Day the Earth Stood Still" has some interesting fun-filled facts among the "extras." One of them is that Gort the robot was played by Lock Martin, 7'7" tall, who made a living doing novelty appearances at Knott's Berry Farm, as a doorman at Grauman's Chinese Theater, etc. They explained that people with abnormalities that make them grow that tall are actually weaker than average folks. So, in the scene where Gort is carrying Patricia Neal into the flying saucer, you can actually see wires leading from his shoulders to his forearms to help him bear the load.
It's one of my faves--a truly intelligent, thoughtful film. Hugh Marlowe, Eternal Smarm, went on to play an even smarmier character in "Seven Days in May," one of Frankenheimer's best.
"Klaatu Barata Nikto!"

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.
Re: Favorite Pre-1970 Horror/Sci-Fi Movies [Re: Turnbull] #428583
08/24/07 02:14 PM
08/24/07 02:14 PM
New York
SC Offline
Consigliere
SC  Offline
Consigliere

New York
 Originally Posted By: Turnbull
"Klaatu Barata Nikto!"

Those three words saved the earth!!!

Re: Favorite Pre-1970 Horror/Sci-Fi Movies [Re: Don Cardi] #428608
08/24/07 06:31 PM
08/24/07 06:31 PM
East Tennessee
R
ronnierocketAGO Offline
ronnierocketAGO  Offline
R

East Tennessee

"The Thing" (1951) - its fast paced dialogue (possibly the best in any sci-fi/monster flick), fine acting and awesome score (by Dmitri Tiomkin) absolutely rock! It always makes me shiver.

James Arness has such a presence the few times that he is on screen in that movie. I think that his not overdoing it and not appearing too much throughout the movie is what makes it such a thriller.

As you mentioned, the score rocks and it adds such great anticipation, the building up of fear, everytime The Thing is about to enter the scene.

I can remember being a kid and watching this movie for the first time, late at night with my father, and loving it.

John Carpenter shot a BETTER version of the same story in his 1982 remake.

I respect alot of tension and shadow-suspense that Hawks does, but Carpenter makes his tale more frightening, more gritty, more about humanity turning against each other in paranoia & fear, and memorable FX shots.

I mean, nobody ever forgets the alien-infected human head that falls off the operating table and sprouts spider legs, and simply walks away.

I would also add David Cronenberg's THE FLY remake, light years better than the Vincent Price film.

Last edited by ronnierocketAGO; 08/24/07 06:31 PM.
Re: Favorite Pre-1970 Horror/Sci-Fi Movies [Re: ronnierocketAGO] #428613
08/24/07 07:44 PM
08/24/07 07:44 PM
New York
SC Offline
Consigliere
SC  Offline
Consigliere

New York
I respect alot of tension and shadow-suspense that Hawks does, but Carpenter makes his tale more frightening, more gritty, more about humanity turning against each other in paranoia & fear, and memorable FX shots.

I just had this conversation in PM and while I can't argue that Carpenter's version is vastly superior by virtue of its special effects and its truer to the story ("Who Goes There?") and because of that fact it adds more to the paranoia, I still prefer the '51 version. Its dialogue, so fast paced and expertly delivered, is without peer in any sci-fi flick and its score brilliantly adds to the feeling of cold and desolation. Its always been THE perfect stormy night movie for me.

I think, too, that since I "grew up" with the '51 version, it has something to to do with my preference.

FWIW - I like Carpenter's version very much.

Re: Favorite Pre-1970 Horror/Sci-Fi Movies [Re: ronnierocketAGO] #428616
08/24/07 08:14 PM
08/24/07 08:14 PM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline OP
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline OP
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club

John Carpenter shot a BETTER version of the same story in his 1982 remake.

I would also add David Cronenberg's THE FLY remake, light years better than the Vincent Price film.

That's your opinion Ronnie, and you are certainly entitled ot it. While I don't deny that Carpenter's version had much better special effects and as SC said, remained more true to the story that it is based on, there is just something about the original that does it for me. The original, unlike the newer version, leaves a lot more to the imagination even though there is a physical Alien in the 1951 version vs. a germ in the newer version. Just something about the whole build up and anticipation when the Thing is about to make an appearance. But I do happen to also like the newer version.

As for the remake of The Fly, well again, you are certainly entitled to your opinion. But I don't think that the newer version of The Fly is "light years" ahead of the Vincent Price version.

While I will watch and enjoy BOTH versions of The Thing, I totally enjoy the original version of The Fly and feel that the newer version lacked the intensity and suspense that the older version had. The older version depended on that suspense and anticipation where all the newer version depended on was makeup and special effects.

Don Cardi cool

Re: Favorite Pre-1970 Horror/Sci-Fi Movies [Re: Don Cardi] #428617
08/24/07 08:56 PM
08/24/07 08:56 PM
Bar Vitelli, Queens, NY
Signor Vitelli Offline
Underboss
Signor Vitelli  Offline
Underboss
Bar Vitelli, Queens, NY
One of the problems I had with the remakes of The Thing and The Fly (especially the latter film) was the tendency to replace mood and terror with revolting gore and nauseating makeup effects. For me, something was lost.

Since the horror film has "evolved" to the point where virtually anything goes, filmmakers are oft-times determined to show us anything and everything. First it was makeup, now it's computer-generated effects. Again, for me, something has been lost - particularly when films hurl one effect after another at the viewer for ninety (or so) minutes. Perhaps this is why I didn't care for Van Helsing.

Remember when Hammer Films were considered "pushing the envelope"?

But, I'm going off on a tangent here. "Remakes vs. Originals" just might make for an interesting thread on its own.

Signor V.

Re: Favorite Pre-1970 Horror/Sci-Fi Movies [Re: Signor Vitelli] #428619
08/24/07 09:12 PM
08/24/07 09:12 PM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline OP
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline OP
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club
One of the problems I had with the remakes of The Thing and The Fly (especially the latter film) was the tendency to replace mood and terror with revolting gore and nauseating makeup effects. For me, something was lost.

I totally enjoy the original version of The Fly and feel that the newer version lacked the intensity and suspense that the older version had. The older version depended on that suspense and anticipation where all the newer version depended on was makeup and special effects.

I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one who feels that many of these re-makes lack the intensity, suspense and mood that the original versions had.

"Remakes vs. Originals" just might make for an interesting thread on its own.

I was thinking the same thing when I was responding to Ronnie's post. Go for it Vitelli. It should make for some really interesting discussion.

Don Cardi cool

Re: Favorite Pre-1970 Horror/Sci-Fi Movies [Re: Don Cardi] #428622
08/24/07 09:24 PM
08/24/07 09:24 PM
California

California
Well, FWIW I usually prefer originals to remakes, and although I like the originals I "prefer" the remakes of The Fly and The Thing. \:\/

TIS

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull