GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 43 guests, and 17 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,618
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 24,164
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,518
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,387
Posts1,059,816
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Scene that defines Don Vito. #5810
01/06/04 04:41 PM
01/06/04 04:41 PM
Tampa, Florida
johnny ola Offline OP
Underboss
johnny ola  Offline OP
Underboss
Tampa, Florida
What scene do you think most defines what Don Vito was all about? I personally think its the scenes with Roberto the landlord. Sometimes the poignancy of the scene is lost in the humor of the scene. We see don Vito acting as a confident and strong don. And doing what a don is suppossed to do, namely keep fairness in the community. He never bullied, threaten or strongarmed Roberto. He made a plea, then simply told him to ask around the neighborhood. Even when Roberto, conceded he still treated Roberto with respect [at least to his face]. It is no wonder that don Vito had so many at his daughters wedding.

It would have been interesting to see what happened when Roberto asked around the neighborhood grin

I love my Chrysler and tuna fish sandwiches.
Re: Scene that defines Don Vito. #5811
01/06/04 04:46 PM
01/06/04 04:46 PM
Nederland
Michael Corleone 14 Offline
Underboss
Michael Corleone 14  Offline
Underboss
Nederland
The scene, that to me defines Vito is when he whacks Fanucci, and then joins Carmella and his children on those steps and enjoys the festa. Ruthless when it comes to business, but on the other hand so family-orientated. smile

"I won't be a man like you." - Michael to Vito, orginal Part II ending
Re: Scene that defines Don Vito. #5812
01/06/04 04:58 PM
01/06/04 04:58 PM
California
The Italian Stallionette Offline
The Italian Stallionette  Offline

California
This is much harder then the question about what was it "about" Pacino.

I agree with the comments made, but when I think of Vito (old Vito anyway), I think of the very opening scene, him sitting at his desk calmly, sort of royaly, hearing and granting favors on his daughter's wedding day. ohwell Showing a soft spoken, gentle man, yet capable of giving a whacking order just as calmly.

TIS

"Mankind must put an end to war before war puts an end to mankind. War will exist until that distant day when the conscientious objector enjoys the same reputation and prestige that the warrior does today." JFK

"War is over, if you want it" - John Lennon

Re: Scene that defines Don Vito. #5813
01/06/04 05:21 PM
01/06/04 05:21 PM
Connecticut
Don Lights Offline
Underboss
Don Lights  Offline
Underboss
Connecticut
Way too many good scenes to pick from, but when Don Vito Corleone gives his speech to the fellow Dons at the bank. It shows just how reasonable and how charismatic his person is, as instead of simply wielding and starting a war, he ends one before it starts.

Re: Scene that defines Don Vito. #5814
01/06/04 06:46 PM
01/06/04 06:46 PM
Tampa, Florida
johnny ola Offline OP
Underboss
johnny ola  Offline OP
Underboss
Tampa, Florida
Originally posted by Don Lights:
Way too many good scenes to pick from, but when Don Vito Corleone gives his speech to the fellow Dons at the bank. It shows just how reasonable and how charismatic his person is, as instead of simply wielding and starting a war, he ends one before it starts.
Of all the three films, that is my personal favorite. Nothing I enjoy more then a great actor giving a speech in character ala Humprhrey Bogart in "The Caine Mutiny" and Jack Nicholson in "A Few Good Men".

Bogart shows strength and fairness with his speech. You just know he had to piss off Barazini, with his response grin

I love my Chrysler and tuna fish sandwiches.
Re: Scene that defines Don Vito. #5815
01/06/04 06:50 PM
01/06/04 06:50 PM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club
All of the above posts are very good replies. The scene that I think defined what Vito was all about was when he sits down with Tessio and Clemenza after they are worried about giving tribute to Fannucci. In that scene Vito shows his calmness, cunningness, smartness, and confidence all at the same time. He has already figured out that he will offer Fannucci so much money and collect so much from both Clemenza and Tessio and at the same time keep a few $$ for himself as he realizes that he is the one who will risk his own life when making this offer to Fannucci, so therefore he justifies his keeping so many $$ for himself. In this scene is when I think Coppolla/Puzo wanted to show the audience what Vito was really all about. Kept his friends happy, his enemy happy, and took care of his own family at the same time.

Don Cardi

Don Cardi cool

Five - ten years from now, they're gonna wish there was American Cosa Nostra. Five - ten years from now, they're gonna miss John Gotti.

Re: Scene that defines Don Vito. #5816
01/06/04 07:48 PM
01/06/04 07:48 PM
Desolation Row
Don Sonny Corleone Offline
Underboss
Don Sonny Corleone  Offline
Underboss
Desolation Row
There's too many but one that stands out in my mind is when he is talking to Tessio and Clemenza telling them he will take care of Fannucci, but he doesnt tell them how. They are more experianced in that business, but he is in control.

If winners never lose, well, then a loser sure can sing the blues.
Re: Scene that defines Don Vito. #5817
01/06/04 08:48 PM
01/06/04 08:48 PM
New Jersey
TheCrazyMan Offline
Made Member
TheCrazyMan  Offline
Made Member
New Jersey
The beginning scene would be his most defining moment, but there is more to Don Vito than meets the eye.

I guess my one scene that seems to come out would be when Vito visits Genco. I know it wasn't a part of the film, but to me, it shows who Vito truly was, both as a father and Godfather.

Vito talking to Michael about his plan, and then visiting his old friend, and how Genco felt he was in the presence of God. Just a scene like that just truly defines Vito Corleone.

Take Care
George
Don Crazyman

"Tonight, The Crazyman family settles its accounts. Monkey and Strawboy, those lil amatuer artist f*cks. they've been screwing with us since the beginning. F*ck'em.
Izabela, my ex-g/f, Tracey will pay her a visit, at her home.
Ruben, take a train to Holman, light a candle for professor Nyman."

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull