GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
2 registered members (Irishman12, Trojan), 95 guests, and 6 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 68,921
DE NIRO 44,952
J Geoff 31,299
Hollander 26,314
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,611
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,814
Posts1,069,494
Members10,349
Most Online1,100
Jun 10th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Mafia man serves up warning #422836
08/07/07 01:37 PM
08/07/07 01:37 PM
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Don Pappo Napolitano Offline OP
Underboss
Don Pappo Napolitano  Offline OP
Underboss
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Mafia man serves up warning
A former mafia member is helping the sport in the fight against betting corruption

With organised crime syndicates believed to be behind the betting scams that have repeatedly tarnished the reputation of tennis, the ATP have employed the services of a convicted member of the American mafia to warn their leading players of the inherent dangers of allowing themselves to be lured into a web of corruption.

In the light of investigations into unusual betting patterns surrounding last week’s defeat of world No 3 Nikolay Davydenko by the 87th-ranked Argentinian Martin Vassallo Arguello in the Orange Prokom Open in Sopot, Poland, the ruling body of men’s professional tennis has intensified its desire to banish the potential for players to be coerced into throwing matches.

Earlier this year the ATP invited Michael Franzese, a self-confessed high-ranking mafia member of the New York Colombo crime family, to lecture more than 200 of their leading competitors, who were called to a mandatory players meeting before the Miami Masters Series event which dealt with organised crime’s involvement in sports gambling.

Franzese, referred to by the American media and members of US law enforcement alike as the New York Mob’s “Long Island Don” and “The Prince of the Mafia”, was reputedly once one of the biggest money earners the mafia had seen since Al Capone. Facing repeated racketeering charges, he elected to plead guilty to yet another indictment, accept a 10-year prison sentence and then lecture on the adverse effects which his former career could have on sport.

A series of betting cases, linked to irregular betting patterns on online exchanges, were a predicament for the International Tennis Federation. When the ATP took over responsibility for the problem in 2003, they set up an anticorruption programme and immediately established a memorandum of understanding with Betfair, the world’s biggest internet betting exchange, which is based in west London.

More recently, the ATP chairman and chief executive Etienne de Villiers opted to approach Franzese, who had previously addressed such leading sporting bodies in the United States as Major League Baseball and the National Basketball Association. The audience in Miami was transfixed by the admissions of the former mafioso, and further input is planned.

An ATP spokesman said last night: “As well as the clear, stringent rules and sanctions connected with the anticorruption programme, we also communicate regularly with the players to help ensure they understand the rules and their responsibilities in this area. The presentation in Miami was one part of that ongoing education process.”

Despite being a clearly superior player in terms of world rankings, Davydenko’s odds drifted significantly before the match in Poland and even when the Russian took the first set 6-2, betting patterns at Betfair still showed that a larger amount of money than may be expected was being placed on the underdog to win, Davydenko citing a persistent foot injury for his subsequent retirement as Vassallo won 2-6 6-3 2-1.

Apart of the memorandum of understanding, an independent investigator has already been appointed by the ATP and Betfair to look into this latest case involving Davydenko, who is revered as one of the most diligent players on the ATP tour but was known to be suffering from the foot injury that caused him to default from the game against Vassallo Arguello.

Unsurprisingly, Davydenko distanced himself from any wrong doing when he was questioned about his withdrawal. “During the match I was starting to get problems with the whole of my foot and it was very painful,” said the 26-year-old Russian. “Normally I never retire because I like to fight.”

Vassallo Arguello, who was beaten 2-6 6-4 6-2 in the following round by Spain’s Albert Montanes, added: “I don’t think that he [Davydenko] has anything to do with this. I was playing against him but he was playing also with an injury, and that is all that I know about it and that’s also what I felt in the match. I felt nothing else.”

Meanwhile, Britain’s new minister of sport, Gerry Sutcliffe, insisted that sports stars who are found to have been colluding in betting scams will face jail sentences of up to two years in a government crackdown which is designed to protect the integrity of sport and eradicate match-fixing and illegal betting.

Sutcliffe maintained that the government would take a “zero-tolerance” approach to cheats, while sports governing bodies warned that betting-related scams could become a bigger threat to sport than drug doping.

“Even though incidents of cheating are rare, they are still deeply concerning and damage the integrity of sport,” said Sutcliffe. “That’s why we have taken this issue so seriously.

“When the Gambling Act comes into force on September 1, it will mark the start of a new zero-tolerance approach to betting cheats. It will introduce a new two-year jail sentence and give the Gambling Commission powers over betting fines for the first time, including the ability to suspend and void bets and a new requirement on bookmakers to share information with sporting administrators.”

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/tennis/article2199255.ece

Pelé is the King
Maradona is God!
Re: Mafia man serves up warning [Re: Don Pappo Napolitano] #422839
08/07/07 01:51 PM
08/07/07 01:51 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
Interesting story, DPN. As you probably know, here in America, most professional and college sports have experienced betting scams of the type described in the story you posted. Most often, organized crime was behind the scams. What's unusual here is at a former high-ranking Mafioso is going public. Usually, those who turn rat go into the Witness Protection Profile and diaappear from public sight for their own survival.

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.
Re: Mafia man serves up warning [Re: Turnbull] #422845
08/07/07 02:11 PM
08/07/07 02:11 PM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
Michael Franzese is making a hell of a living as an expert witness and advocate to the perils of sports betting, I'll give him that.

As I'm sure some of you know, the line in Part III about "someone going this city around saying fuck Michael Corleone...he's a fuckin' dog," is supposedly based on a sitdown between Mike Franzese and John Gotti, with Gotti supposedly sending Franzese away with his tail between his legs.

Gotti died in jail, Franzese is a succesful movie producer and frequent motivational speaker in prisons, rehabs, etc...

I wonder who had the last laugh?

"I got news for you. If it wasn't for the toilet, there would be no books." --- George Costanza.
Re: Mafia man serves up warning [Re: pizzaboy] #422911
08/07/07 05:40 PM
08/07/07 05:40 PM
Sheffield UK
chopper Offline
Gaetano Lucchese
chopper  Offline
Gaetano Lucchese

Sheffield UK
Thanks for that very interesting.

If i come across the table and take your f*****g eyes out ,will you remember

Aniello Dellacroce