GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
2 registered members (2 invisible), 248 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
Happy birthday Tommasino Neri.
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,438
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 23,845
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,508
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,307
Posts1,058,344
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Why doesn't Don Corleone want to see Luca #421798
08/04/07 09:45 AM
08/04/07 09:45 AM
S
Snj261 Offline OP
Associate
Snj261  Offline OP
S
Associate
How come Don Corleone doesn’t want to see Luca Brasi on the day of the wedding? When Tom tells him that Luca wants to see him, he asks Tom, “Is this necessary”? Clearly he doesn’t want to see him. Luca is definitely a devoted follower of Don Corleone. Is he possibly afraid of what favor Luca might ask for? Or maybe he limits how often Luca can see him, this way maintaining a certain awe that Luca would have towards him. Or just maybe Luca has bad body odor.

And what happens to Luca after this scene. Did he stay for the rest of the wedding? Wouldn’t it have been great if he was next to sing after the old guy? There could have been some danger in that though, because if people didn’t like his singing, we might have had a blood bath take place that would make the horse head in the bed seem like kids stuff.

Re: Why doesn't Don Corleone want to see Luca [Re: Snj261] #421811
08/04/07 11:06 AM
08/04/07 11:06 AM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
Many scenes end up on the cutting room floor.

But, as the novel explains, it was only Luca who could make Vito feel nervous because Luca was an uncontrollable force. Luca let Vito control him. Also, Luca's reputation was well known in the underworld and allied community, so his presence might make some people uncomfortable. Afterall, it was a celebration.

"Generosity. That was my first mistake."
"Experience must be our only guide; reason may mislead us."
"Instagram is Twitter for people who can't read."
Re: Why doesn't Don Corleone want to see Luca [Re: olivant] #421881
08/04/07 05:24 PM
08/04/07 05:24 PM
Oklahoma
45ACP Offline
Button
45ACP  Offline
Button
Oklahoma
Luca probably had an IQ of around 4, so as has already been mentioned, he was so unpredictable. . . sort of like a Pitt Bull on a short bus.

Now Vito was no scholar, but even he could see it would take extra effort to carry on a conversation with poor Luca.

Re: Why doesn't Don Corleone want to see Luca [Re: olivant] #421944
08/04/07 11:31 PM
08/04/07 11:31 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
 Originally Posted By: olivant

But, as the novel explains, it was only Luca who could make Vito feel nervous because Luca was an uncontrollable force. Luca let Vito control him. Also, Luca's reputation was well known in the underworld and allied community, so his presence might make some people uncomfortable. Afterall, it was a celebration.

More detail: Tom tells Vito, "He didn't expect to be invited..." I took that to mean that Vito's nervousness about having Luca around lingered until it meant that Luca's invitation was a last-minute decision.
Probably Vito felt a) Luca's fearsome appearance would make other guests nervous; and b) his presence would be a reminder to some people that the Corleone empire rested on the kind of brute force that Luca represented.

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.
Re: Why doesn't Don Corleone want to see Luca [Re: Turnbull] #422339
08/06/07 09:17 AM
08/06/07 09:17 AM
Tampa, Florida
johnny ola Offline
Underboss
johnny ola  Offline
Underboss
Tampa, Florida
 Originally Posted By: Turnbull

But, as the novel explains, it was only Luca who could make Vito feel nervous because Luca was an uncontrollable force. Luca let Vito control him. Also, Luca's reputation was well known in the underworld and allied community, so his presence might make some people uncomfortable. After all, it was a celebration.

More detail: Tom tells Vito, "He didn't expect to be invited..." I took that to mean that Vito's nervousness about having Luca around lingered until it meant that Luca's invitation was a last-minute decision.
Probably Vito felt a) Luca's fearsome appearance would make other guests nervous; and b) his presence would be a reminder to some people that the Corleone empire rested on the kind of brute force that Luca represented.

So continuing with this thought, would it also be possible that Vito was trying to gain some sort of respectability by disassociating himself from sinister types? Keep in mind also this dialogue at the wedding:

VITO CORLEONE

Prego.

(then, to Tom Hagen, after Bonasera leaves the room)

Ah, give this to ah, Clemenza. I want reliable people; people that aren't gonna be carried

away. I'm mean, we're not murderers, despite of what this undertaker says.

I love my Chrysler and tuna fish sandwiches.
Re: Why doesn't Don Corleone want to see Luca [Re: johnny ola] #422355
08/06/07 10:30 AM
08/06/07 10:30 AM
With Geary in Fredo's Brothel
dontomasso Offline
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline
Consigliere to the Stars

I think there are two reasons. First, maybe Vito was afraid Luca would ask him to do something that he could not do, thus breaking the notion that no Sicilian could refuse a favort on the day of his daughter's wedding. This would incur Luca's wrath
and as is mentioned before Vito feared Luca cause he could not control him.

Second, he did not want to have to meet privately with Luca when he had so many other things to do.

I think he was relieved when Luca came to deliver the money for his daughter's wedding purse privately instead of in public.

Finally, I do not think Luca stayed for the rest of the party. He probably took those sandwiches that were thrown at Paulie and
went home.

"Io sono stanco, sono imbigliato, and I wan't everyone here to know, there ain't gonna be no trouble from me..Don Corleone..Cicc' a port!"

"I stood in the courtroom like a fool."

"I am Constanza: Lord of the idiots."

Re: Why doesn't Don Corleone want to see Luca [Re: dontomasso] #422360
08/06/07 10:45 AM
08/06/07 10:45 AM
My own world.
whisper Offline
Underboss
whisper  Offline
Underboss
My own world.
I always saw it as Vito,wanting to get through everybody on the list as quick as possible,so he could then go and enjoy his daughters wedding.The tone in Vito's voice,seems to sound impatient,rather than fear.

The hero and the coward both feel the same thing, but the hero uses his fear, projects it onto his opponent, while the coward runs. It's the same thing, fear, but it's what you do with it that matters. Cus D'Amato
Re: Why doesn't Don Corleone want to see Luca [Re: whisper] #422400
08/06/07 12:50 PM
08/06/07 12:50 PM
Tampa, Florida
johnny ola Offline
Underboss
johnny ola  Offline
Underboss
Tampa, Florida
 Originally Posted By: whisper the don from down under
I always saw it as Vito,wanting to get through everybody on the list as quick as possible,so he could then go and enjoy his daughters wedding.The tone in Vito's voice,seems to sound impatient,rather than fear.

VITO CORLEONE

I want you to go tonight; I want you to talk to this -- movie bigshot, and settle this business

for Johnny. Now, if there's nothing else, I'd like to go to my daughter's wedding.

I love my Chrysler and tuna fish sandwiches.
Re: Why doesn't Don Corleone want to see Luca [Re: johnny ola] #422404
08/06/07 01:04 PM
08/06/07 01:04 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
One of the deleted scenes was an early encounter between Vito and Luca. Neither ever talked about it. It happened in the sauna. Luca still had feelings, but Vito wanted to put it all behind him.

Re: Why doesn't Don Corleone want to see Luca [Re: olivant] #423329
08/08/07 12:13 PM
08/08/07 12:13 PM
dontomasso Offline
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline
Consigliere to the Stars

One of the deleted scenes was an early encounter between Vito and Luca. Neither ever talked about it. It happened in the sauna. Luca still had feelings, but Vito wanted to put it all behind him.

That's when Vito said "Luuuuuuuuca....you got some splainin to do!"

"Io sono stanco, sono imbigliato, and I wan't everyone here to know, there ain't gonna be no trouble from me..Don Corleone..Cicc' a port!"

Re: Why doesn't Don Corleone want to see Luca [Re: dontomasso] #423338
08/08/07 12:46 PM
08/08/07 12:46 PM
Pittsburgh, PA
HamptonHitMan Offline
Button
HamptonHitMan  Offline
Button
Pittsburgh, PA
I always took as if the Don, was uneasy about Luca. Maybe he was somewhat afraid. Luca was a very dangerous man and possibly could turn on Vito? As it is known the Don was the only person that Luca was afraid of. Maybe it was the other way around too?

Salute!
Rick
Re: Why doesn't Don Corleone want to see Luca [Re: HamptonHitMan] #424832
08/10/07 11:06 AM
08/10/07 11:06 AM
W
wtwt5237 Offline
Made Member
wtwt5237  Offline
W
Made Member
We all know Luca was a devoted follower of Don Vito. My guess is that it was Vito's fear of losing the friendship of Luca. You see Vito was very careful with his friendship with Luca. He might be afraid to screw up some petty thing when meeting with Luca, which would reduce Luca's loyalty towards himself. Luca didn't have a normal mind, making him somewhat uncontrollable. We all have such kind of person around ourselves.

One has only one destiny, he cannot choose it.
Re: Why doesn't Don Corleone want to see Luca [Re: johnny ola] #424855
08/10/07 12:10 PM
08/10/07 12:10 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
 Originally Posted By: johnny ola
 Originally Posted By: Turnbull

But, as the novel explains, it was only Luca who could make Vito feel nervous because Luca was an uncontrollable force. Luca let Vito control him. Also, Luca's reputation was well known in the underworld and allied community, so his presence might make some people uncomfortable. After all, it was a celebration.

So continuing with this thought, would it also be possible that Vito was trying to gain some sort of respectability by disassociating himself from sinister types? Keep in mind also this dialogue at the wedding:

VITO CORLEONE

Prego.

(then, to Tom Hagen, after Bonasera leaves the room)

Ah, give this to ah, Clemenza. I want reliable people; people that aren't gonna be carried

away. I'm mean, we're not murderers, despite of what this undertaker says.

Now keep in mind that Vito's question to Tom was not about inviting Luca to the wedding; it was about meeting with Luca. As I said in my post above, only Luca could make Vito feel nervous and, like anybody, he sought to avoid nervous situations.

Re: Why doesn't Don Corleone want to see Luca [Re: olivant] #424865
08/10/07 12:34 PM
08/10/07 12:34 PM
Boat House
Carson_Corleone Offline
The Best and Brightest Son
Carson_Corleone  Offline
The Best and Brightest Son
Made Member
Boat House
I think Vito was genuinely annoyed and wanted to get back to his daughters wedding.

-In my HOME!!! In my BEDROOM WHERE MY WIFE SLEEPS!! Where my children come and play with their toys. In my home.

-My father taught me many things here -- he taught me in this room. He taught me -- keep your friends close, but your enemies closer.
Re: Why doesn't Don Corleone want to see Luca [Re: Carson_Corleone] #424925
08/10/07 01:58 PM
08/10/07 01:58 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
If I remember correctly, he met with Nazorine and Johnny after Luca. So, he couldn't have been in too much of a hurry to rejoin the wedding.

Re: Why doesn't Don Corleone want to see Luca [Re: olivant] #427649
08/20/07 07:26 PM
08/20/07 07:26 PM
New Jersey
AppleOnYa Offline
AppleOnYa  Offline

New Jersey
As Tom mentions when announcing his desire to see Vito...Luca is not 'on the list'.

Don Corleone has probably had to see quite a few people on this his daughter's wedding day in addition to Bonasera, Enzo the Baker and his godson, Johnny Fontaine. One would guess that by the time Luca is brought up he's had enough and would wonder what the heck the big lug could possibly have to say.

Apple

A wise and frugal government, which shall leave men free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned - this is the sum of good government.

- THOMAS JEFFERSON

Re: Why doesn't Don Corleone want to see Luca [Re: Turnbull] #427652
08/20/07 07:45 PM
08/20/07 07:45 PM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club

But, as the novel explains, it was only Luca who could make Vito feel nervous because Luca was an uncontrollable force.

That's exactly right Olivant. Exactly why Vito asks Tom if it's necessary that Luca sees him.

Don Cardi cool

Five - ten years from now, they're gonna wish there was American Cosa Nostra. Five - ten years from now, they're gonna miss John Gotti.

Re: Why doesn't Don Corleone want to see Luca [Re: Snj261] #463774
01/14/08 12:12 PM
01/14/08 12:12 PM
mercop Offline
Don
mercop  Offline
Don
Button
I always thought the Don saying "is it necicery" meant that he knew what Luca had to say I doubt he was scared to be in a room with Luca.

"I'll reason with him" Vito Corleone
Re: Why doesn't Don Corleone want to see Luca [Re: mercop] #463810
01/14/08 02:44 PM
01/14/08 02:44 PM
dontomasso Offline
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline
Consigliere to the Stars

Actually Brando just didn't want two people in the room who didn't know their lines.

Re: Why doesn't Don Corleone want to see Luca [Re: mercop] #463857
01/14/08 07:49 PM
01/14/08 07:49 PM
MI
Lilo Offline
Lilo  Offline

MI
 Originally Posted By: mercop
I always thought the Don saying "is it necicery" meant that he knew what Luca had to say I doubt he was scared to be in a room with Luca.

Right, Vito was not scared of Luca. But as others mentioned Luca was the only person who could make Vito nervous. Considering Vito's own fearsome reputation that says a lot about Luca..

On Connie's wedding day perhaps Vito just didn't feel like taking all the energy needed to show Luca that he valued and respected him. The Don was trying to have positive thoughts... \:\)

"When the snows fall and the white winds blow, the lone wolf dies but the pack survives."
Winter is Coming

Now this is the Law of the Jungle—as old and as true as the sky; And the wolf that shall keep it may prosper, but the wolf that shall break it must die.
As the creeper that girdles the tree-trunk, the Law runneth forward and back; For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack.
Re: Why doesn't Don Corleone want to see Luca [Re: Lilo] #463890
01/14/08 10:49 PM
01/14/08 10:49 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
Another possibility: Luca was Vito's principal assassin, and he didn't want to be reminded of the "dark side" of his criminal empire on his daughter's wedding day.

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.
Re: Why doesn't Don Corleone want to see Luca [Re: Turnbull] #463895
01/14/08 11:34 PM
01/14/08 11:34 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
Then again there was that night years ago when they had to spend the night in Hoboken and there was only one bed. The Don didn't like to be reminded about it, but Luca never forgot.

Re: Why doesn't Don Corleone want to see Luca [Re: olivant] #463978
01/15/08 10:52 AM
01/15/08 10:52 AM
dontomasso Offline
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline
Consigliere to the Stars

Then again there was that night years ago when they had to spend the night in Hoboken and there was only one bed. The Don didn't like to be reminded about it, but Luca never forgot.

Hmm this might explain Fredo's tendencies (according to Lebo).

Re: Why doesn't Don Corleone want to see Luca [Re: Snj261] #463998
01/15/08 01:26 PM
01/15/08 01:26 PM
Toronto, Ontario
D
dontommasino Offline
Underboss
dontommasino  Offline
D
Underboss
Toronto, Ontario
I was going to say it is because of the "chain-of-command" and "insulating" oneself as a Don, but Luca reports directly to Vito anyways, doesn't he? Luca was not on the list and as others have pointed out Vito just wanted to go to his daughter's wedding so he probably just wanted to know what Luca wanted in more detail.

Re: Why doesn't Don Corleone want to see Luca [Re: dontommasino] #465362
01/20/08 12:16 AM
01/20/08 12:16 AM
Orig. Chicagoan, Ohio resident
Sexy Sadie Offline
Wiseguy
Sexy Sadie  Offline
Wiseguy
This is just a thought. I've always thought that Luca didn't expect to be invited just because of his relationship with Don Vito and the family. I think Luca may have had a self-depreciating opinion of himself--at least with regard to Don Vito. He seemed very nervous before seeing the Don--repeating and repeating his lines as if he were to speak to the Pope or something. He was amazed that Don Vito thought enough of him to invite him to the wedding. I don't think that Vito feared Luca, I always felt that Don Vito was only annoyed at having to talk to Luca on his daughter's wedding day. After knowing the reason that Luca wanted to see him, he probably felt like a heel and then decided to allow Luca to see him. I just think that Vito felt a little annoyed that Luca wanted to see him until he found out why Luca wanted to see him. I'm probably wrong about all of this because all of this is just my impression of the scene.

~ Sadie

Re: Why doesn't Don Corleone want to see Luca [Re: Sexy Sadie] #465364
01/20/08 12:25 AM
01/20/08 12:25 AM
New York
SC Offline
Consigliere
SC  Offline
Consigliere

New York
Thats a good take on it, SS. Welcome to the boards (a year and half late).

Re: Why doesn't Don Corleone want to see Luca [Re: SC] #465378
01/20/08 03:40 AM
01/20/08 03:40 AM
Sexy Sadie Offline
Wiseguy
Sexy Sadie  Offline
Wiseguy
SC: Thanks for your welcome! I was a member under the same name awhile ago and posted much more frequently. However, I am teaching again and it is always a demanding and time consuming job--but I love it very much. So, I haven't really had a lot of time to spend on this board. I decided to see if my name and password would go through, and it didn't. So, interestingly, I had to check into the "new" board (new as opposed to the "old" board when I first joined) using the same name and password! I guess what inspired me to check out the board again was I was watching "The Godfather", a special on A & E tonight. AND, I am watching it for the second time tonight. I could actually say the dialogue with the sound turned off, I've seen it so many times!

Well, thanks again for the warm welcome! I hope to see more of the board as time goes on.

~ Sadie

Re: Why doesn't Don Corleone want to see Luca [Re: Sexy Sadie] #465428
01/20/08 01:00 PM
01/20/08 01:00 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
In the novel, Luca kills his child because he doesn't want anyhting generated by his loins to be a part of this world because he realizes what an animal he is and doesn't want those genes passed on.

Re: Why doesn't Don Corleone want to see Luca [Re: olivant] #467017
01/24/08 10:14 PM
01/24/08 10:14 PM
Sexy Sadie Offline
Wiseguy
Sexy Sadie  Offline
Wiseguy
That's awful! It sounds like this real life hitman called "The Iceman". I can't remember his real name, but there was a special on him (I think it was A&E, but I'm not sure). He was interviewed by a psychologist, I think. He appeared so cold-blooded and heartless, but I think it was just an act. I think he was starved for love and this was his way of not allowing it to bother him. He did marry and had 2 or 3 children, whom he loved very dearly. His family did not know what he did for a living. Near the end, when his wife and children found out who and what he was, they left him. He died in prison after only a few years. I don't remember what he died of, but it was such a sad, sad program. I wanted to cry for him.

~ Sadie

Re: Why doesn't Don Corleone want to see Luca [Re: Sexy Sadie] #467096
01/25/08 11:03 AM
01/25/08 11:03 AM
Toronto, Ontario
D
dontommasino Offline
Underboss
dontommasino  Offline
D
Underboss
Toronto, Ontario
 Originally Posted By: Sexy Sadie
That's awful! It sounds like this real life hitman called "The Iceman". I can't remember his real name, but there was a special on him (I think it was A&E, but I'm not sure). He was interviewed by a psychologist, I think. He appeared so cold-blooded and heartless, but I think it was just an act. I think he was starved for love and this was his way of not allowing it to bother him. He did marry and had 2 or 3 children, whom he loved very dearly. His family did not know what he did for a living. Near the end, when his wife and children found out who and what he was, they left him. He died in prison after only a few years. I don't remember what he died of, but it was such a sad, sad program. I wanted to cry for him.

~ Sadie

His name is Richard Kuklinski. He worked with Roy DeMeo, a notorious Gambino capo and I thought I remember hearing that he was involved in the Castellano hit.

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull